The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Five Guys to close 3 stores

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42
Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Wed, 05/11/11 9:29 AM (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

Scorereader

Michael Hoffman

MetroplexJim

Michael Hoffman

The fewer the better.

I know you love those frozen, then thawed Waffle House patties served medium rare. 

They're certainly better than patties to which have been delivered death by crushing and crisping.

spoken from someone who has never been.

And who will never go to one because of what I've been told by people who have been there, and from what's been written about their method of cooking their burgers and from video and still photographs of the process.

that's fine. You can choose to not go. But, you comment on it like you know...and you don't.

I can't comment on any of the franchises, because I haven't been. But at the local company owned, one of the original locations, it's a nice juicy burger. As you've pointed out in previous posts, a well done burger can still be jiucy. And Five Guys has delivered such a product.

Scorereader

Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Wed, 05/11/11 9:45 AM (permalink)
    joerogo

Scorereader

However, when I really want a Burger, I go to Clyde's. There's a Ray's Steaks, same as Ray's Hellburgers, about a mile from my house...in a sketchy neighborhood across the Anacostia River. I may go there to try one of his burgers. I hear they're great.

Score, My daughter lives about 2 blocks from either Ray's.  I thought the Hood quit nice, even in the evening.  And they are spectacular!

I don't think we're talking about the same location. There aren't two Ray's in the neighborhood to which I refer. So that would not be possible.

Here's the one I'm talking about: Ray's the Steaks East River, 3905 Dix St. NE, Wash DC 20019. This is a rough neighborhood. It's the only table service restaurant in that neighborhood. The rest are take out joints with bullet proof glass separating patron and employees and a McDonalds. The closest restaurant to this Ray's, with table service, is Denny's.

If she lives two blocks from there, I know of some nicer, yet cheap apartments on my side, the west side, of the anacostia river that will get her out of a neighborhood notorious for violence.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4462
      Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Wed, 05/11/11 10:00 AM (permalink)
      Score, Definitely different places.  She live between Ray's the Steaks and Ray's Hellburger in Arlington.

Boy, that Ray sure gets around 

Scorereader

Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Wed, 05/11/11 10:51 AM (permalink)
        The neighborhood should start to turn over for the better during the course of the next few years, and could become nice. The newest plans for development have the trolley extended past the Anacostia River to Benning Road Metro stop, and development is planned on both sides of the river. That Ray's is on the other side of 295 from the River development, but that neighborhood should still develop from the trolley line even if the River development doesn't extend that far.

There's an open building availabe at the intersection of 25th and Benning in my neighborhood, and our neighborhood association has contacted Ray (Michael Landrum), hoping he'll put a small establishment there. It would help him develop restaurants along Benning Road, which is an extension of the H St corridor, and would connect Ray's the Steak East River with that H St development. When the trolley is complete, it would all be connected to the public by the trolley. We;ve learned that owners like to create a dotted line and develop brand recognition throughout these business corridors. An example is the group that owns Argonaut,  Palace of Wonders and others on H St., and  another group that owns Matchbox, DC-3 and others on Barrack's Row. Since Landrum has already put an istallation there on Dix St. ( adjacent to Benning Rd), continuing West on Benning would be good business. Hopefully, he'd agree.

<message edited by Scorereader on Wed, 05/11/11 10:52 AM>

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
          Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Wed, 05/11/11 4:24 PM (permalink)
          I like Five guys Burgers and all of their topping choices, but I agree it can be too pricy for what you get and you really can't get a "small" order of fries.  Sounds like the guy in Delaware should have just stuck with the Highway One store and  not bought seasonal ones that closed in the Winter.  I don't know which one(s) he owned first.

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
            Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Wed, 05/11/11 4:37 PM (permalink)
            I think he opened the Bethany branch in 2004,but up until last winter he had kept it open year round.The Rt 1 outlet was always year round since it opened in 2006.Rehoboth Beach opened in 2008 I think but closed down all 3 winters.Winters have always been tough at the beach but what with the grim economy the last 3 years many restaurants have gone under and the only ones that stayed open all year were pretty much the ones out on Rt 1.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
              Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Thu, 05/12/11 8:23 AM (permalink)
              Michael Hoffman

Scorereader

Michael Hoffman

MetroplexJim

Michael Hoffman

The fewer the better.

I know you love those frozen, then thawed Waffle House patties served medium rare. 

They're certainly better than patties to which have been delivered death by crushing and crisping.

spoken from someone who has never been.

And who will never go to one because of what I've been told by people who have been there, and from what's been written about their method of cooking their burgers and from video and still photographs of the process.

Clearly then, those so many of us who love Five Guys are not people!

Damn!  My secret is out, so I'll confess ...

Soon after my parents escaped their close call near Roswell they shape-shifted and moved to Pittsburgh.  Since, my kind has sucessfully integrated into human society.  My Aunt Sophia even has her own reality show on NBC - "The Event"!  Our true intent, however, is not to bring back the Spanish Flu but to slowly clog the arteries of humankind.  Lately, we have dispatched terrorists to clean out the resisters from their Waffle House hideouts...
              Here we are in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnCreOhzEcI
              <message edited by MetroplexJim on Sat, 05/14/11 11:05 AM>

HollyDolly

• Total Posts: 1065
                Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Thu, 05/12/11 12:20 PM (permalink)
                They are supposed to open another 5 Guys in the San Antonio area.
                The first one is in the Alamo Quarry Marketplace,there's another one near Kirby and Converse on FM78,and they are supposed to open one in the Forum in the Live oak-Selma area off of Interstate 35 North.Now I wonder when and if they will open it.

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                  Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Sat, 05/14/11 4:50 PM (permalink)
                  5 Guys would be the last place I would eat down the beach anyway. Their burgers are overpriced shoe leather and you can get better fries at Thrashers.

Sundancer7

Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Sat, 05/14/11 5:34 PM (permalink)
                    Their fries are very good but their burgers are mediocre.  In my personal opinon, the burgers are no better than Hardees

Paul E. Smith
                    Knoxville, TN

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                      Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Sat, 05/14/11 6:35 PM (permalink)
                      Ah, MetroplexJim, I'm sorry you're not people. Clearly though, if you were people you would not be one of the people I've heard from who did not like the place because of the way they cook their hamburgers.

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
                        Re:Five Guys to close 3 stores Wed, 06/8/11 11:41 PM (permalink)
                          Well I guess its only fair to update this topic with info I have recently acquired.The third-party info says that the 3 Sussex County Delaware 5 Guys Stores (Thats Rt 1 in Lewes,Rehoboth Ave in Rehoboth and Garfield parkway in Bethany Beach) will re-open as company owned stores.In fact the Rehoboth Ave store is already open and rocking (and if you care that much to go down there in the summer,then good on you).

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                          Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 42 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com