Five and dime store lunch counters?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 95 of 95
Hepcat
  • Total Posts : 374
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Sat, 10/20/12 6:01 PM
Twinwillow
The best thing about (any) sandwich back in those days was, you didn't have to stretch your mouth wide open to take a bite.

And it's not as if it's the contents that have been augmented in the typical sandwich; it's just that restaurants have switched to buns and fancier, i.e. thicker, bread simply to create the impression that you're getting more for your money.

One of my pet peeves is actually the very bunny hot dogs served by almost all hot dog carts in Toronto when a Wonder Bread bun would be the ideal mate for the dog. The bun should present the wiener; it shouldn't compete with it let alone overwhelm it!

<message edited by Hepcat on Sat, 10/20/12 7:52 PM>

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Sat, 10/20/12 7:56 PM
Hepcat
It was at the downtown Kresge store in 1961 or early 1962 that I first saw a Great Garloo. I was enchanted and pointed it out to my mother, but at a price of close to $15 it was just not to be.

Just to give some background for the younger folks, Hepcat's price was actually a good price for it; the list was north of $20. Now, to give you something to use as a barometer:
Candy Bar: 5 cents.
Gallon of Gasoline: 30 cents
Average cost of new house $12,500
Cost of a first class stamp: 4 cents
New York Times: 5 cents

So, essentially, the Great Garloo cost in real dollars on the order of what a Playstation or Ipod Touch costs today.

Bart

CCinNJ
  • Total Posts : 7745
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Sat, 10/20/12 8:05 PM
Hepcat...I saw you mention (somewhere) that Flowercat is having an issue with her old account...but would like to post. Maybe she can just come as close as possible to her Flowercat name...and join us! We'd love to have her!

I'm not sure if Flower_Cat would work. You'd have to check and see. I know Flourcat would work...but she may not want that.

Tell her to join in the fun! You're cool.

Hepcat
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Sat, 10/20/12 10:59 PM
Tony Bad is working to get Flowercat back on this board. She's thought of registering under a new name but she'd rather not lose her posting history. She'll probably change her posting handle after she gets back on to one of her favourites anyway. In any event, I believe she'll be back on and posting soon!

Hepcat
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Sat, 10/20/12 11:05 PM
bartl
So, essentially, the Great Garloo cost in real dollars on the order of what a Playstation or Ipod Touch costs today.

Yes, but the Great Garloo was green, scaly and a lot cooler in every way. That's why it's now regarded as an all-time classic and is highly prized by toy collectors.

Sadly though I still don't have one.

Hepcat
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Tue, 02/19/13 4:49 PM
I found a picture from the eighties of the lunch counter at my actual neighbourhood Kresge store on Coxwell Avenue in Toronto! 

It's been closed since about 1992 though. Here's how the building looks today:

Very sad. 

<message edited by Hepcat on Tue, 02/19/13 10:37 PM>

carpwidow
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Tue, 02/19/13 7:23 PM
To this day, my mother still talks about the coffee at Woolworth's being the best she's ever had (she's 84 now).  While in high school, I had a part-time office job in downtown Atlanta...and I had to make the "fried chicken run" to Woolworth's at least once a week for the office staff.  Best fried chicken ever...sold at a little stand in the middle of the store near the checkouts...smelling all over the store.  Very strange place to locate the stand, but boy, it was the best fried chicken ever!  Thanks for the memories!
<message edited by carpwidow on Tue, 02/19/13 7:25 PM>

Phildelmar
  • Total Posts : 788
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Tue, 02/19/13 9:35 PM
Try Lyon's pharmacy in Elkto, Md

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1208
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 11:09 AM
I miss the bittersweet chocolate ice cream sodas at Walgreen's.

Bart

tiki
  • Total Posts : 4135
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 1:06 PM
Sadly--Lord's in Medfeild Ma--is now gone.

jm199
  • Total Posts : 215
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 4:27 PM
There is a drugstore in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, Pa with a very active lunch counter with a loyal clientele. The name is Adzema Pharmacy, and they serve breakfast and lunch. My uncle ate there almost every day as a widower.  He loved their specials, including fish on Fridays! See their website for their menu, and low prices. Also, it is has a working phramacy and drugstore too! Their prices are very reasonable too!

www.adzema-pharmacy.com/AdzemaPharmacy/Menu.asp

<message edited by jm199 on Thu, 02/21/13 5:24 PM>

love2bake
  • Total Posts : 1272
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 4:36 PM
I used to go to the lunch counter at Woolworth's and People's Drug Store, both at Seven Corners Shopping Center in Falls Church, VA.  I got cherry cokes and french fries at People's, and hot, open-faced sandwiches with mashed potatoes and gravy at Woolworth's.  This shopping center also had an S&W Cafeteria that I went to a lot.  Sadly, none of those places have been around for years.

ann peeples
  • Total Posts : 8317
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 4:38 PM
Janet took me to Corydon, the first capital of Indiana.....great history-my favorite? Butt Pharmacy. Spelled exactly that way...... While they didnt serve food, they had an old time soda fountain, and bulk candy counter. Very cool!
<message edited by ann peeples on Thu, 02/21/13 2:39 PM>

Wintahaba
  • Total Posts : 109
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 5:16 PM
love2bake, Did you ever hit the Gino's on the way out, or Hot Shoppes Jr. down the street? Thanks, for the memories.

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 5:42 PM
When I was very young, I took music lessons in downtown Knoxville and that was when downtown Knoxville was extremely busy.  On Saturday, the foot traffic downtown was very slow and all stores, five and dime and department stores were packed.

After my one hour music lesson, I often visited with Kresge and enjoyed their burger and milkshake.  I must have been about 8-9 years old and I had to get a bus downtown from our small rural farm.  Dad was a foreman for Alcoa and did the hobby farming on the side and I was forced labor 

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

ann peeples
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 5:49 PM
You wouldnt  want the Greyhound........way uncomfortable..........however,  good to see people and kinda worth it!

Sundancer7
  • Total Posts : 13386
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 6:07 PM
ann peeples

You wouldnt  want the Greyhound........way uncomfortable..........however,  good to see people and kinda worth it!

Ann: I sold an antique motorcycle to a Army helicopter pilot about ten years ago.  He rode a Greyhound to Knoxville where I picked him up and brought him to my residence.  He told me that the ride was something everyone ought to experience once.   I gather that you may feel the same way  I have never done that but after experiencing picking up the pilot, I somewhat understand with some of the people hanging around..  A cheaper ride with some degree of not being comfortable.

The pilot left my home at 6:00PM and drove the motorcyle back to Ft. Bragg NC which was about a 9 hour ride at best.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 02/20/13 7:04 PM
While we're off topic, A week after I graduated Lawrence High School on Long Island in 1958, I took a Greyhound bus to Los Angeles to study acting. 

For an 18 year old, It was an amazing trip and quite an experience back then that I'll never forget.  

Joisey
  • Total Posts : 150
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/21/13 1:20 PM
I remember eating at lunch counters at Woolworths as a kid.  I also remember many Sears stores had a decent snack bar with real good burgers.  Ahh memories

Joisey
  • Total Posts : 150
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/21/13 1:23 PM
oh yeah, almost forgot.  Chock Full O Nuts had many lunch counters in NY during the 70s.  Almost forgot them

ann peeples
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/21/13 2:45 PM
The bus ride, Paul and others, was interesting to say the least. On the way home was more interesting. Great bus driver-stopped at a McDonalds cuz he was hungry.My seat mate across the aisle was a heroin addict going to Minnesota for treatment.....interesting stories. My story was simple.

ann peeples
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/21/13 2:47 PM
Speaking of lunch counters, we had a local pharmacy with one in the back of the store. Perfect malts, and the best egg salad I have ever had....

love2bake
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/21/13 6:01 PM
Wintahaba

love2bake, Did you ever hit the Gino's on the way out, or Hot Shoppes Jr. down the street? Thanks, for the memories.

Yes!!!  Definitely went to Hot Shoppes (regular and jr.)  My high school boyfriend worked at Hot Shoppes Jr.
I also went to the Hot Shoppes at Bailey's Crossroads a lot.   I think I stopped only once at Gino's.

When were you there?

Twinwillow
  • Total Posts : 4896
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/21/13 6:40 PM
Joisey

oh yeah, almost forgot.  Chock Full O Nuts had many lunch counters in NY during the 70s.  Almost forgot them

I was a regular at one of Chock Full O Nuts' coffee shops in Manhattan during the 60's.
In addition to their (then) great coffee, I loved the "crunchy" donuts they were famous for back then.

Wintahaba
  • Total Posts : 109
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/21/13 8:53 PM
love2bake, Sleepy Hollow ES, Glascow Jr. HS, JEB Stuart HS....1967-Graduation-1977....moved back in 1981 until 1989....my letter jacket from Irving's Sport Shop in 7-Corners...loved those times...Thanks.

ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 901
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/21/13 10:00 PM
love2bake

Wintahaba

Yes!!!  Definitely went to Hot Shoppes (regular and jr.)  My high school boyfriend worked at Hot Shoppes Jr.
I also went to the Hot Shoppes at Bailey's Crossroads a lot.   I think I stopped only once at Gino's.

When were you there?

When I was a teenager, back in the 50's Hot Shoppe was our hang out.  I loved the Mighty Mo and the Teen Twist

love2bake
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Sun, 02/24/13 6:27 PM
Wintahaba

love2bake, Sleepy Hollow ES, Glascow Jr. HS, JEB Stuart HS....1967-Graduation-1977....moved back in 1981 until 1989....my letter jacket from Irving's Sport Shop in 7-Corners...loved those times...Thanks.

Haha!!!  I'll send you a PM so we don't get too far off topic here.

love2bake
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Sun, 02/24/13 6:30 PM
ChrisOC

love2bake

Wintahaba

When were you there?

When I was a teenager, back in the 50's Hot Shoppe was our hang out.  I loved the Mighty Mo and the Teen Twist

I think both of those sandwiches had a "secret sauce" with mayonnaise in it, and unfortunately I'm a mayo-phobe, so I missed them.   (It's not easy being a mayo-phobe, but I can't help it.)

NascarDad
  • Total Posts : 336
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 02/28/13 3:03 PM
aloysius50

rumaki

One of the department stores in Rochester, NY (where I had my first job after getting my law degree), McCurdy's, had a lunch counter like the one you described. This was in 1979-81; I have no idea whether it still does or not, or whether the store still exists. 

Sadly, not only is McCurdy's gone but most of downtown Rochester is now empty. Last year they tore down Midtown Plaza (one of the first indoor malls in the US) to put up office buildings.

And in fact as far as I know, they tore it down for nothing, the office building in question never got built and last time I checked, it was a big stinking hole in the ground. And you are right, it was one of the first indoor malls in the US, and I think the first one that was built "downtown" in any city in America.

I used to visit Rochester to see family.  Christmas-time was great,  I remember the windows at McCurdy's and Sibley's, rival stores, across the street from one another.

I remember the Santa Mountain and the Monorail inside Midtown Plaza and the Clock of the World (or whatever that clock was called). 

And I do remember the old lunch counter at McCurdy's, though by the time I had a job in downtown Rochester it has been moved into the plaza.  And the plaza was already majorly downhill, lots of kids looking for entertainment or trouble or both wandered through it, making noise,. It was the hub where all buses met, and the school kids rode the city buses I guess.

Also I remember the Top of the Plaza restaurant was considered a fancy type place to go for lunch, when I was a kid and we were visiting, we got to go once, which was about our only occasion to ever go anywhere considered even slightly fancy, since we were poor at the time.

Anyhow thanks for bringing up the old McCurdy's, brings back some memories from several times in my life.

Hepcat
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Wed, 06/26/13 5:22 PM
tiki

Sadly--Lord's in Medfeild Ma--is now gone.

Oh boooo!!!

Hepcat
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 06/27/13 11:20 AM
jm199

There is a drugstore in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, Pa with a very active lunch counter with a loyal clientele. The name is Adzema Pharmacy, and they serve breakfast and lunch.... See their website for their menu, and low prices. Also, it is has a working phramacy and drugstore too! Their prices are very reasonable too!

www.adzema-pharmacy.com/AdzemaPharmacy/Menu.asp

Another good reason to make a special trip to Pittsburgh!

Hepcat
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 06/27/13 11:25 AM
Twinwillow

While we're off topic, A week after I graduated Lawrence High School on Long Island in 1958, I took a Greyhound bus to Los Angeles to study acting. 

For an 18 year old, It was an amazing trip and quite an experience back then that I'll never forget.  

I took the Dog from St. Thomas, Ontario to Kennebunkport, Maine by myself as a thirteen year old to start boarding school for ninth grade in 1965. Quite the experience for a young fellow going through those big city bus stations in Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and Boston with their news depots and diners. I still remember the hardboiled waitress and the other characters in the all night diner across the street from the station in Boston. Twas also my first encounter with an English muffin, which I didn't realize I'd ordered. It wasn't the best introduction. I wish I could relive the experience again though....

ann peeples

That's why I love to take the train these days. You get the best of both worlds that way. Plus it's the ultimate in relaxation. Chat, read, snooze and watch the world go by.

<message edited by Hepcat on Thu, 06/27/13 11:36 AM>

easydoesit
  • Total Posts : 470
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 06/27/13 2:07 PM
Ha, Hepcat, coincidence -- you had your first English Muffin in 1965, in the Northeast.

In 1967 I was going with a 21 year old girl, who worked for a Midwestern flour milling company that moved their home office to Boston (to the Pru).  She was well-regarded, and invited to go along, which she did.  Coming from the white-bread Midwest, at that time, well, we didn't know what a lot of things were.  (Pizza didn't arrive here until 1957, McDonalds in 1959.)

She was served an English Muffin at a Boston diner, and loved it!  A bread lover anyway, she just raved when she described it to me.   It became her favorite thing for a while. 

Well, she was my favorite thing, so after a couple months of loneliness and high long-distance bills, I took the train from Minnesota to Boston to propose, which, thankfully, she accepted. 

And sometime later, English Muffins started to show up here.

So one day our company had a visitor from England, and I became his tour guide.  He was a naturally curious guy, and we spent some time wandering through a grocery store.  He spied a package of English Muffins, showed it to me, and laughed.  I asked what they called them over there, and honestly, cannot remember his answer.  So I still don't know.

But in the mid-sixties, the homogenization of America had not reached the stage it has now...more TV and news outlets, I suppose.

scrumptiouschef
  • Total Posts : 640
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 07/11/13 10:35 AM
Remember Eastwood Mall very well from visits there when I was a kid. Here's a website of interest http://www.birminghamrewound.com/EastwoodMall/ also, Birmingham in the 80s had a host of great 5 and dime lunch counters. Newberry's in downtown had a great one with fried chicken and meat n 3 lunch plates.

My favorite was in 5 Points South though, it was a Woolworths with a great grill and a bunch of old timey waitresses/cooks. They used mayo on everything they could get their hands on. When you ordered a burger they slathered the nectar on both sides of the bun then griddled them. They did some respectable fried chicken but it was not Newberry's quality. There was also a few Britlings cafeterias scattered around town back then; best mac n cheese on the planet.

tfrielin

During its hey day in the '60s, the Eastwood Mall in Birmingham, AL had no shortage of lunch counters.

For starters, my favorite was at Kresge's--you could get aa burger, fries and a cherry Coke there for maybe, eighty cents.

Then you had the counter at Newberry's. and across the Mall from that you had the counter at the Ligget Rexall Drug Store.

And if that wasn't enough, you had yet another lunch counter at Kidddieland--the pinball/amusement place in the Mall.

Finally, if you walked across the parking lot to the Eastwood Bowling Alley you had still another lunch coounter--for us tykes who couldn't partake of the fabled Boom Boom Room there---that had to wait until later years.

Sadly, all gone now--the Eastwood Mall was razed in 2006 for yet another Super Walmart.

Hepcat
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? - Thu, 09/12/13 1:42 PM
easydoesit
Ha, Hepcat, coincidence -- you had your first English Muffin in 1965, in the Northeast.

Cool story!

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 61 to 95 of 95