Five and dime store lunch counters?

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Hepcat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 374
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? 2013/06/27 11:20:26 (permalink)
jm199

There is a drugstore in the North Hills of Pittsburgh, Pa with a very active lunch counter with a loyal clientele. The name is Adzema Pharmacy, and they serve breakfast and lunch.... See their website for their menu, and low prices. Also, it is has a working phramacy and drugstore too! Their prices are very reasonable too!

www.adzema-pharmacy.com/AdzemaPharmacy/Menu.asp

Another good reason to make a special trip to Pittsburgh!

Hepcat
Cheeseburger
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? 2013/06/27 11:25:51 (permalink)
Twinwillow

While we're off topic, A week after I graduated Lawrence High School on Long Island in 1958, I took a Greyhound bus to Los Angeles to study acting. 

For an 18 year old, It was an amazing trip and quite an experience back then that I'll never forget.  

I took the Dog from St. Thomas, Ontario to Kennebunkport, Maine by myself as a thirteen year old to start boarding school for ninth grade in 1965. Quite the experience for a young fellow going through those big city bus stations in Buffalo, Rochester, Albany and Boston with their news depots and diners. I still remember the hardboiled waitress and the other characters in the all night diner across the street from the station in Boston. Twas also my first encounter with an English muffin, which I didn't realize I'd ordered. It wasn't the best introduction. I wish I could relive the experience again though....

ann peeples

You wouldnt  want the Greyhound........way uncomfortable..........however,  good to see people and kinda worth it!

That's why I love to take the train these days. You get the best of both worlds that way. Plus it's the ultimate in relaxation. Chat, read, snooze and watch the world go by.

post edited by Hepcat - 2013/06/27 11:36:17
easydoesit
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 540
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? 2013/06/27 14:07:22 (permalink)
Ha, Hepcat, coincidence -- you had your first English Muffin in 1965, in the Northeast.

In 1967 I was going with a 21 year old girl, who worked for a Midwestern flour milling company that moved their home office to Boston (to the Pru).  She was well-regarded, and invited to go along, which she did.  Coming from the white-bread Midwest, at that time, well, we didn't know what a lot of things were.  (Pizza didn't arrive here until 1957, McDonalds in 1959.)

She was served an English Muffin at a Boston diner, and loved it!  A bread lover anyway, she just raved when she described it to me.   It became her favorite thing for a while. 

Well, she was my favorite thing, so after a couple months of loneliness and high long-distance bills, I took the train from Minnesota to Boston to propose, which, thankfully, she accepted. 

And sometime later, English Muffins started to show up here.

So one day our company had a visitor from England, and I became his tour guide.  He was a naturally curious guy, and we spent some time wandering through a grocery store.  He spied a package of English Muffins, showed it to me, and laughed.  I asked what they called them over there, and honestly, cannot remember his answer.  So I still don't know.

But in the mid-sixties, the homogenization of America had not reached the stage it has now...more TV and news outlets, I suppose.

scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? 2013/07/11 10:35:37 (permalink)
Remember Eastwood Mall very well from visits there when I was a kid. Here's a website of interest http://www.birminghamrewound.com/EastwoodMall/ also, Birmingham in the 80s had a host of great 5 and dime lunch counters. Newberry's in downtown had a great one with fried chicken and meat n 3 lunch plates.

My favorite was in 5 Points South though, it was a Woolworths with a great grill and a bunch of old timey waitresses/cooks. They used mayo on everything they could get their hands on. When you ordered a burger they slathered the nectar on both sides of the bun then griddled them. They did some respectable fried chicken but it was not Newberry's quality. There was also a few Britlings cafeterias scattered around town back then; best mac n cheese on the planet.

tfrielin

During its hey day in the '60s, the Eastwood Mall in Birmingham, AL had no shortage of lunch counters.

For starters, my favorite was at Kresge's--you could get aa burger, fries and a cherry Coke there for maybe, eighty cents.

Then you had the counter at Newberry's. and across the Mall from that you had the counter at the Ligget Rexall Drug Store.

And if that wasn't enough, you had yet another lunch counter at Kidddieland--the pinball/amusement place in the Mall.

Finally, if you walked across the parking lot to the Eastwood Bowling Alley you had still another lunch coounter--for us tykes who couldn't partake of the fabled Boom Boom Room there---that had to wait until later years.

Sadly, all gone now--the Eastwood Mall was razed in 2006 for yet another Super Walmart.

Hepcat
Cheeseburger
Re:Five and dime store lunch counters? 2013/09/12 13:42:56 (permalink)
easydoesit Ha, Hepcat, coincidence -- you had your first English Muffin in 1965, in the Northeast.

Cool story!

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1