Five best sandwichs in the USA

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Author
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/23 23:20:02 (permalink)
The Chicken Salad Sandwich at Noonies Deli, the Marbleworks (137 Maple Street, Middlebury, Vermont, offered on a choice of several homemade breads (i.e.- Honey Oat, Sourdough, etc.).

Probably less than $7 or so. Maybe not one of the 5 best in the world...but the best I've ever had. Never miss it if I'm anywhere nearby.

The Bear
sizz
  • Total Posts : 1687
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/24 00:36:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Pigiron

My favorites:

3. Shwarma/Falafel combo from Moishe's

I was wondering when one of us would mention Shwarmas and or Falafels .......... I love them and here in San Jose we have what I consider the best Falafel joints, it's a institution around here in Silicon Valley..... at lunch time the line is out the door and down the street.
I'll add a pic below just in case you, Wonderingjew and I are the only ones around here that love the Falafel...........

http://www.jatbar.com/reviews/San_Jose/Falafel_Drive_In.asp
Pigiron
  • Total Posts : 1384
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/24 00:45:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjewHave you ever tried the falafel at Mamoun's on McDougal Street?
It's been a decade and a half and it still rings in my memory. One of my friends who is a Persian Jew and knows his falafel says it's still the best.

www.mamounsfalafel.com/

Eaten there a million times. It's great. Walk down Macdougal at 3AM, and you'll see a dozen people standing against buildings, hunched over a huge pita dripping with tzazhiki. Any place with that many cabbies outside HAS to be great.
tooslimnc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/25 20:19:23 (permalink)
Katz's is the finest pastrami on the PLANET....it is my choice for last meal before I DIE. Although that lobster roll from Red's is looking pretty good.... :-D. Hmmm, how far is Maine from here???
Hey, any NJ folks out there....I used to love Stan's Sandwich shop in New Brunswick many eons ago, he had GREAT fried fish sandwiches. Is the place long gone now?
Big Frank
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/25 20:49:37 (permalink)

Hey, any NJ folks out there....I used to love Stan's Sandwich shop in New Brunswick many eons ago, he had GREAT fried fish sandwiches. Is the place long gone now?

I always enjoyed the pastrami and corned beef sandwiches at Stan's.
tooslimnc
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 20
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/25 22:35:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Big Frank

I always enjoyed the pastrami and corned beef sandwiches at Stan's.

I liked the corned beef and pastrami too, but the Friday only fish was special, mmmm on rye bread...if you had a late lunch, you had to call and tell him to hold a piece for you. Is Stan's still open? I don't know if his kids still wanted to run it....
Also, Hocky's on Albany St had great fresh turkey sandwiches.
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 192
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/26 12:41:24 (permalink)
1. Peanut Butter and Fluff made at home.
2. Steak and Cheese from the guy that sells them from a cart in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA.
3. Kahuna Tuna Melt from The Maine Diner, Wells, ME
4. Turkey, Hoffman Sharp Cheddar, Horseradish Cream Sauce, Lettuce, Tomato and Mayo on Wheat from Max Bibos, CT.
5. Buffalo Chicken Sandwich from Cosi
acornlover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 394
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/26 23:29:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foxyfishy14
[
2. Steak and Cheese from the guy that sells them from a cart in Faneuil Hall, Boston, MA.

Where is this located at faneuil hall and do you know the name?

Thanks!
KB
Sheetzaholic
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/09/27 19:42:22 (permalink)
It may have been mentioned but, Montreal Smoked Meat rocks!!!

1. Montreal Smoked meat
2. Primanti's with a hangover
3. tofu sauteed w/ sesame oil/roasted sesame seeds run through the garden - available at the quiet storm in pittsburgh
4. blt
5. BOLTs (Bacon, Oyster, Lettuce and Tomato) mmmmmmm!!!
cecif
  • Total Posts : 1414
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/10/01 12:41:13 (permalink)
LOL! I just love these threads that make me really laugh out loud...
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

OK, youse guys, I give up. Arby's and Roy Rogers are off the list.
I have an excuse though, I haven't been inside either in years. They
used to be good, so I stand corrected--I will even go stand in the
corner with a dunce cap on.

Ancient mariner, no dunce cap for you - I dunno about those Arbys/RR things but I want one of your grilled cheese & tomatoes with a beer over the sink! YUM!

And you are right about the comfort thing.

quote:
Originally posted by divefl

4. grilled peanut butter - ala home

Mmmmmmmmmmm. I have not yet managed to find a mention on RF of Fenton's Creamery in Piedmont, CA but they had a grilled PB&J that I loved growing up. It's off the menu now (or was) but they did agree to make one when I asked a couple years back. They're also really well known for their grilled crab sandwich - it's out of this world good!

As a native Californian but resident New Englander I am appalled that anyone would put a lobster roll from CA on such a list. Blasphemy!!!!!

I had a great lobster roll at a pretty new joint yesterday:
Three Cod Tavern in Marblehead MA. It was terrific! (Great fries too.)

[Edit: Welcome to RF, Atlantajimmy! And to Sizz, add me to the falafel-loving list. I started on the carts in Bezerkeley in college...]
Matt Gleason
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 689
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/10/01 12:48:56 (permalink)
1. Pastrami, Swiss, brown mustard on rye.
2. Roast beef on garlic bread.
3. Genoa salami, hot cap, dry aged provolone, olive oil, oregeno on Italian bread.
4. Pepperoni, jalepeno cheddar, brown mustard on rye.
5. Cheese steak: Ribeye, dry aged cheddar cheese on French bread.

HDK
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/10/05 13:08:08 (permalink)
Acornlover: I'm not sure of the name of the guy but if I remember correctly, he was more towards the financial district area...like down by The Office, The Place...we used to there alot when we got out of Sanctuary. But then again, I only had the steak and cheese's when I had had a few drinks..so that could have helped. Although I do remember one time they ran out of rolls so he put the steak and cheese on top of a slice of pizza and it was so good! I'll see if I can try to find out what his name is.
Foxyfishy14
Cheeseburger
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/10/05 13:09:21 (permalink)
Does anyone know any good places for Falafel in CT or in New England in General?
Jimeats
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3175
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/10/05 13:41:14 (permalink)
Yep! The Falafel King on Winter St. Downtown Boston almost on the corner of Tremont Street. Long line at lunch time but moves very quickly. Chow Jim
FrankBooth
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 185
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/10/05 13:43:28 (permalink)
1. LOBSTER ROLL FROM RED'S Eats(please don't tell me there's a better one in california, it just makes you look silly...)
2. Chicken Parm Medium from CATENE DELI (Brooklyn, NY)
3. Anything from White House Sub Shop (Atlantic City)
4. Fried Haddock with Cheese and Tartar from Red's Eats (haha 2 from Red's!)
5. Fried Shrimp Sandwich with Tartar from Sea Basket (Wiscasset, ME).
Ms. Tenderloin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2007/12/18 22:57:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

One more-please? Just one more? A BBQ chopped brisket on a bun with sauce and raw onion from (the original)
Sonny Bryan's BBQ in Dallas. And, a Dr. Pepper.

twinwillow-

I agree with you.

Sonny Bryan's in Dallas has THE BEST brisket in the world!
Now I'm pouting because I am stuck down here in Houston and have not been to Dallas in quite a long time
foodgood
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/16 00:41:50 (permalink)
(*Note* to me, grinders/subs/hoagies/whatEVER you call 'em is a whole other category; as well as burgers, breakfast sandwiches, etc. ... bearing that in mind):
As far as "kiddie fare" that I have fond memories of-
PB & bacon, cream cheese & jelly, grilled cheese & tomato, chicken salad, egg salad, balogna & mayo, roast beef, tomato, mayo, & cheese (and so forth)...
"Grown-up fare" (though certainly loved by some kids too)-
a decent Rueben, triple-decker clubs (name your prefrred meat here), pulled pork sandwich, tuna melt, hot open turkey/roast beef, Cuban sandwiches, smoked turkey w/ avocado, tomato, and red onion...
Really, this could go on far longer- I'll spare you the extended version in the interests of fairness and decency ;)
jwagnerdsm
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/16 01:27:38 (permalink)
I was drunk in Philadelphia the night I ate two of my five favorites: An Italian sub at some long-forgotten restaurant and a cheesesteak at Geno's (or was it Pat's). My other favorites are mostly geocentric.

3.) Breaded Pork Tenderloin at the Countryview Drive In in Kimballton, Ia. or the Colony Inn in Ventura.
4.) My own BLT with Green Zebra tomatoes from the local farmer's market and bacon from the locker plant in Webster City.
5.) Hot Beef Sandwich at Farmers' Kitchen in Atlantic.
6.) Fried Grouper in Fort Myers' Beach, Fla.
7.) Bob Dog at Bob's Drive-Inn in LeMars, Ia.
8.) Italian Roast Beef at South Union Bread Company in Des Moines.
9.) Charley Boy at Mile's Tap in Sioux City.
10.) A Cuban
caratzas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 216
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/16 03:29:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Foxyfishy14

Does anyone know any good places for Falafel in CT or in New England in General?
The previously-mentioned Mamoun's previously-unmentioned New Haven location, of course!

http://www.mamounsfalafel.com/
OliverB
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/17 16:21:41 (permalink)
I have to say that I find Katz terribly overrated.

The last time I was in NYC (about a year ago) I stopped in an ordered the reuben (greatest sandwich of all-time?) and it was seriously disgusting. Like I couldn't even finish it. It looked, smelled and tasted like somebody had thrown up on it. The place was filthy, our cutlery and glasses were dirty, the service was terrible... I've been many times before and had great meals at Katz but if my last trip was any indication, I'd sooner go to the Carnegie.
big g in joisey
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 214
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/19 03:33:17 (permalink)
They forgot about the 2 best selling sandwiches in the USA,the Big Mac & the Whopper.
GNeedles59
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 594
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/20 15:25:20 (permalink)
I am going to throw my vote in for the NJ style sloppy joe..
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10289
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/21 04:18:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mousec

Anyone have a link to the survey or know when it was taken? I tried Googling for it but haven't had any luck.

The Ancient Mariner said, "According to a survey by MSNBC these are the top 5 in the country" Contact MSNBC, Duh!
jfitz
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 116
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/21 06:01:54 (permalink)
Thank you jwagnerdsm for the pork tenderloin mention. Thought all these East Coast sandwiches were approaching redundency[sp]. I do believe a trip thru Iowa must include following the " Pork Tenderloin Trail" See past postings for stops on trail.
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/05/21 08:55:52 (permalink)
I never heard of a "Frenchy's Fantasy", but I found this photo of one:

Evidently it is a triple-decker that combines mounds of rare roast beef, Swiss cheese, sugar-cured bacon, lettuce and tomato, topped with Russian dressing on rye bread.

Think of it as a BLT with a roast beef & swiss on top.

I'd eat it.

Boss_Hog
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/06/03 00:43:10 (permalink)
It's funny that White House in Atlantic City's sandwich construction came up. My friends and I have discussed this specific topic before at length.

I can name 20 different sandwich shops in NJ that use top quality meats, cheeses, veggies, etc. What WH does that shoots it up to the top 5 is the immaculate bread choice (strong enough to handle a beast of a sandwich) and the S-curve flip that they do with the meat to tuck it back into the sandwich.

There is a place in downtown NY next to where I work (Pane Peppe) that could be one of the greats. They have an excellent selection of breads, fantastic combos of meats, cheeses and toppings preselected on a huge menu (if your imagination sucks). They even have superb toppers like really, really tasty olive oil, real pesto or an amazing hot pepper spread. This place is legit. It's not cheap, but this is Manhattan where I've paid $8 for a Pabst Blue Ribbon in can at a bar. The only problem is the sandwich construction. There are maybe three guys out of a dozen in the store that can put a decent pile of bread and meat together and I mean they are just ok. You get the wrong guy there and you are going to be back at your desk, unrolling a soggy mess that is more like an italian Cobb salad with a giant roll for a crouton.

White House guys have always brought their A game when I'm there. I always think to myself, "there is no way this sandwich stays together while I eat it." And time and time again, they get it in there.

By the way, some ridiculous shops that deserve to be mentioned here:

Hoagie Haven (Princeton, NJ) - any place with a line out the door past midnight on any given night of the week speaks for itself - the bread alone is ~ 1,000 calories

Koch's (West Philadelphia, PA) - the line is crazy long and the guys aren't exactly working fast, but stand around for more than 5 minutes and meats and cheeses get passed around to try

Kelly's (Revere, MA) - my mom, a native to Boston, still swears by them - apparently, they're open on Christmas and there will be a line
slcgrad
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/06/03 01:13:58 (permalink)
Hey, my great home state of Pennsylvania seems to be doing pretty well in this thread. You've got a friend!

1) Corn Beef Special - Corned Beef, coleslaw, dark brown mustard, and good rye.

2) Italian sub from any good place in the Philadelphia area - Italian meats, cheeses, onions, tomato, oregeno, sweet and hot peppers, oil, vinegar.

3) Any good roast beef on an Italian circular roll with melted swiss and tons of horseradish sauce.

4) Are we allowing bagels and hot dogs now? Toasted plain bagel, cream cheese, onion slices, a slice of tomato, nova lox.

5) A Manoush dog with "the works" from Manoush's Hot Dog stand, now probably sadly gone, 2121 I Street, Washington, D.C.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/06/03 01:25:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by the ancient mariner

Suddenly in the middle of the night---well 405 AM -----I remembered that I forgot one of my favorites.

In the New York area every deli has a breakfast special---2 fried eggs on a hard roll,
salt and pepper and ketchup if you so desire. Add bacon, ham or cheese for a few cents
more. The eggs are fried "over hard" so the yolk doesn't run down onto your tie or best
suit. The sam-itch is accompanied by coffee and the whole deal costs 2.99 or thereabouts.

I have never been at a construction site (and I am on them a lot) where the guys aren't
chowing down these greasy, calorie filled but delicious morsels, or if I'm not on time
I find the remnants.

Another big seller in Nueva York is the cream cheese on a bagel breakfast. Real NY
bagels--plain, onion, poppy seed, cinnamon-raisin ---whatever--- with a smear.
Or to be hi-class add a slab of lox.

Two more sandwichs better than some of the honored five.

Right on, bro!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5081
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/06/03 01:29:40 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by big g in joisey

They forgot about the 2 best selling sandwiches in the USA,the Big Mac & the Whopper.

yamahafjr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA 2008/06/27 10:01:00 (permalink)
Lions Choice Roast Beef sandwiches are 1000x better than Arby's and unknown outside St Louis, MO. Too bad, they are not only REAL beef, but tender, rare and seasoned to perfection. I crave them every time I travel to the midwest. Wish they would franchise nationwide--Arby's needs the competition.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1