Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Five best sandwichs in the USA

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 153
tsores

• Total Posts: 653
RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Mon, 09/15/08 10:31 AM (permalink)
BBQ shrimp sandwich (lunch only) Pascal's Manale, New Orleans
Italian beef/sausage combo Johnnie's, Elmwood Park, IL
Oyster po' boy, Danny & Clydes, New Orleans area
Velveeta cheeseburger, Big Star, Kenosha, WI
BLT with my home grown tomatoes, my house, Chicago

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
    RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Mon, 09/15/08 11:08 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by the ancient mariner

OK, youse guys, I give up. Arby's and Roy Rogers are off the list.
    I have an excuse though, I haven't been inside either in years. They
    used to be good, so I stand corrected--I will even go stand in the
    corner with a dunce cap on.

But I must say y'all have reminded me of 3 of my all time favorites.
    The old memory ain't what it used to be, if it ever was in the first place.

After eliminating the two roast beef joints I will add these from your lists---

--A great big delicious Sausage and Pepper from the Italian Hero Shop---absolutely a must

--The cold meatloaf from my refrigerator) (or yours)with ketchup-- how could I forget that ??

--and The Sat after Thanksgiving turkey with stuffing and cranberry sauce
    ---fantastic while watching college football with the fireplace blazing away.
    Life is good sometimes.

Sam-itches (as my mother-in-law, who was from Brooklyn, would say) are great
    comfort food-----and Long Live Comfort !!!!!! Ole !!!!

Hey Mariner---Thank God you came to you senses about both Arby's and Roy Roger's rest of your list is 'squisito and can grace my table anytime. FYI Arby's --when it first started as a stand alone O/O was fantastic they used to actually carve the RB from an oven roasted buffet style steam ship round. Fantastico in Bordentown,Ohio----then as they say the rest was history and downhill form there!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
      RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Mon, 09/15/08 12:13 PM (permalink)
      TSORES-----anything with Velvetta is verbotten as far as I am concerned.
      forever (well since boyhood, a long time ago) I have hated it.

RUSS------I saw the error of my ways when I remembered that I had not been
      inside either of those places in bow-koo years plus a few.

Kaczmark

• Total Posts: 73
        RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Mon, 09/15/08 12:37 PM (permalink)
        #1 Pastrami on Rye at Stage Deli NYC
        #2 Mushroom Cheese Steak sandwich at Dalessandro's Roxborough Phila PA
        #3 Fish Taco at Bar (can't remember name" right off Pier in Manhatten Beach CA
        #4 Primanti Borothers sandwich (corned beef) Pittsburgh PA
        #5 My BLT--Stroemann's White Bread toasted, Hellmanns REAL mayo, sliced tomato and lettuce and Hatfield bacon

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
          RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Mon, 09/15/08 1:01 PM (permalink)
          Schwabl's Beef on Weck ...Buffalo Ny

Fish Taco Rubio's ....San Diego

Original Tubby's ...Detroit

Jalapeno Cheese Bread Grilled Cheese.....Dudley's Bakery Jullian Ca

Peanut Butter, Jelly and Butter on Salt Rye....In My Kitchen

...Russ

Pancho

• Total Posts: 915
            RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Mon, 09/15/08 8:05 PM (permalink)
            My creation.....seared duck breast (med. rare)in balsamic vinegar, chopped walnuts, sliced cooked beets (al dente), crumbled bleu cheese, between two slices of crusty, country bread.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
              RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 01/4/09 4:55 AM (permalink)
                A very interesting subject! Here's my top 5.....
                     1. italian beef / sausage combo at Mr. Beef in Chicago ( gotta have it dipped with hot giardiniera )    2. corned beef at Manny's in Chicago ( on rye with yellow mustard )    3. italian beef at Al's ( but where else - Chicago )    4. pork chop sandwich at Snappy Lunch in Mount Airy NC ( with everything except tomato... and Gomer sez hey! )    5. cheesesteak with onions and provolone at Pat's in Philly. Oh, I mustn't forget no. five-and-a-half: a loose-meat sandwich from Maid-Rite, almost anywhere in Iowa. Haven't had a beef-on-weck from Buffalo yet, but hopefully soon.....             Bob

Fieldthistle

• Total Posts: 1948
                RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 01/4/09 5:14 AM (permalink)
                Hello All,
                My list would be different in the past and may be different in the
                future, but for now...
                1. Ham and Turkey Sub at Sergio's in Bridgewater, Va.
                2. Cloth Bologna w/american cheese(mayo and mustard) at Clover-Hill Market
                in Clover Hill, Va.
                3. Pork tenderloin sandwich at Dry River Store in Lily, Va.
                4. B.L.T. at Jess's Lunch in Harrisonburg, Va.
                5. Pork Bar-B-que at  Bar-B-Q Ranch in Harrisonburg, Va.
                Take Care,
                Fieldthistle

the ancient mariner

RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 01/4/09 4:52 PM (permalink)
                  Bro Thistle --- do you live in Virginia by any chance. Since I drive thru your lovely state every once in a while I shall keep your list close to my heart (or stomach) and check out one or two. 

Fieldthistle

RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 01/4/09 6:13 PM (permalink)
                    Hello All,
                    Ancient Mariner, yes I live in Hinton, Va., located in the
                    Shenandoah Valley.  It's a beautiful place to live, and eat.
                    Take Care,
                    Fieldthistle

the ancient mariner

RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 01/4/09 6:49 PM (permalink)
                      Brother Thistle --- in1990 we stayed at the Homestead for a few days and drove up the Blue Ridge Pkwy and looked down on your beautiful valley.  We stayed at a State run Motel up on the highway and enjoyed every minute.  I vowed to come back and visit but things changed as things are wont to do. 

I lived in Asheville NC on the Highway,just a little south of you, in 2004 and remembered Va fondly--------and now I have a reason to return and sample all those great sandwiches.  Thanks Mon Amie. 

the ancient mariner

RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 01/4/09 6:49 PM (permalink)
                        Brother Thistle --- in1990 we stayed at the Homestead for a few days and drove up the Blue Ridge Pkwy and looked down on your beautiful valley.  We stayed at a State run Motel up on the highway and enjoyed every minute.  I vowed to come back and visit but things changed as things are wont to do. 

I lived in Asheville NC on the Highway,just a little south of you, in 2004 and remembered Va fondly--------and now I have a reason to return and sample all those great sandwiches.  Thanks Mon Amie. 

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                          RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 01/4/09 10:05 PM (permalink)
                          Fun re-visiting this thread. Heck I'd change my mind every 5 minutes but I'd always include a Sheboygan charcoal grilled double brat! That town elevates pork chop sandwiches to another level too. Whitehouse subs are close to the top of the food chain. From the south I'd include a BBQ bologna sandwich w/slaw and a biscuit with some country ham and hot sauce-eggs and cheese optional. A good Bahn Mi, a lobster clubhouse (LBLT), a good Jewish pastrami like Milwaukee's Jake's (or a Montreal Bens smoked meat on rye), a NOLA muff or softshell po' boy, a good hot brown, ditto for a horseshoe, breaded pork tenderloin,  an open air grilled shrimp sandwich off the beaten track along Mexico's Pacific coast, I had a simple ham, egg and cheese croissant in Montreal that's never been equaled, a S.F. sourdough club, a good Mexican torta, a Jamaican grilled tin cheese and tomato sandwich, a raw beef and onion sandwich on rye, a rare roast beef on a rye roll and if a muff is a sandwich, then I'll include giant burritos too. When my folks had their tavern, my mom was known for her garlic rib-eye on toast with grilled onions and along with those brats, all others fall in behind. Good thing we aren't including hamburgers or BBQ!

douginvirginia

• Total Posts: 462
                            RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Mon, 01/5/09 8:16 AM (permalink)
                            Fieldthistle

Hello All,
                            My list would be different in the past and may be different in the
                            future, but for now...
                            1. Ham and Turkey Sub at Sergio's in Bridgewater, Va.
                            2. Cloth Bologna w/american cheese(mayo and mustard) at Clover-Hill Market
                            in Clover Hill, Va.
                            3. Pork tenderloin sandwich at Dry River Store in Lily, Va.
                            4. B.L.T. at Jess's Lunch in Harrisonburg, Va.
                            5. Pork Bar-B-que at  Bar-B-Q Ranch in Harrisonburg, Va.
                            Take Care,
                            Fieldthistle

Fieldthistle,

there's truly something great about a simple sandwich like cloth bologna and am. cheese when it's from a country store. I've never had the tenderloin from Dry River store - is it only served at breakfast? I'll certainly have to stop there when I'm down your way to fish on Beaver Creek, or getting chicken at Clover Hill park - my favorite in the valley, with Dayton American Legion being second.

Here's a nice photo which will recall memories :
                            http://www.ottobine.com/ottostor.html

kboston

Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Mon, 01/5/09 9:05 AM (permalink)
                              If you add primanti bros pastrami & egg you have a good list.

Fieldthistle

Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Tue, 01/6/09 5:22 AM (permalink)
                                Hello All,
                                Doug, that photo was great.  The store looked like that until it got
                                a face lift sometime in 1980's I believe.  The store is still running.
                                My grandfather has a similar general store a few miles away in Briery Branch.
                                I am glad you mentioned the pork tenderloin.  They only serve it on Thursdays
                                and it goes fast.  I have been lucky to get the last one at 5pm.  Other than
                                the pork tenderloin, the Dry River store offers home-cooked plate lunches.
                                But I really prefer the Clover Hill Market.
                                Doug, Ancient Mariner, anytime you are going to be in the area, let me know
                                and if schedules allow, we share a sandwich together.
                                Oh, Turner Hams in Fulks Run, Va. makes a mean country ham sandwich as well.
                                Take Care,
                                Fieldthistle

Inthewater

• Total Posts: 129
                                  Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Tue, 06/2/09 11:39 AM (permalink)
                                  Sheesh...gonna do a little "thread necrophelia" on this one.  The Dad's Killer Sub from the B&B Grocery in Des Moines, Ia needs a mention.  ;) http://www.bbgrocerymeatdeli.com/

Also, the 4th St Italian Beef Sandwich from downtown Des Moines has a cult following.  They serve italian beef sandwiches and sausage sandwiches.  That is all.

If you are ever around, give them a try.  Just be careful at the B&B...the deli is awesome there.  You may want to go back.

:)

Born in OKC

• Total Posts: 428
                                    Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Wed, 06/3/09 8:26 AM (permalink)
                                    I read all five pages for the first time before replying.  I was struck by how long it took anyone to mention Banh Mi, or Primanti's, or Montreal Smoked Meat, or Falafel, or a gyro, or  a meatball sub.  I don't know that anyone named a  Cuban, or the original Chik-Fil-A,  or a southern breakfast biscuit with good country ham.  Then there was the fried oyster po-boy my wifr had in Oregon one spring.

And I'm glad several mentioned hot open faced sandwiches with gravy and mashed potaoes.  I really enjoyed the pork and beef varieties when I was a kid. 

So far as subs with any filling including meatballs and cheesteaks are concerned there was a guy in Atlanta, "Tugi," years ago who absolutely had them nailed.  He might have been from NJ and was married to a Georgia girl.  He had a tie in with Joe Torre for a while, when the latter was managing the Braves. 

Picking five sandwiches as the "best" is more the exorcize of a gaunt undernourished TV person than of someone serious about food.  Probably that individual has been struck dead by now for advocating a Californing lobster roll!

Tommy B

• Total Posts: 144
                                      Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Wed, 06/3/09 10:44 AM (permalink)

My late grandmother's  B.L.T. on a hot summer day.    Fresh toasted bread,  smoky bacon fried in a cast iron skillet...garden tomatoes,   lettuce that's been washed and crisped in the fridge, and a solid schmear of Hellman's.     And of course,  my grandma's listening ear to all my troubles.

I miss her tremendously.

I dedicated a story of why I got into cheesesteaks to my grandmother Amelia.

my story

www.tommybsphillycheese.com/about_us

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3698
                                        Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Wed, 06/3/09 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                        Born in OKC

I read all five pages for the first time before replying.  I was struck by how long it took anyone to mention ...Montreal Smoked Meat...

Ummmm...it could be that Montreal is not IN the USA - thereby missing out on the definition of one of the "Five best sandwiches in the USA"?

russ2304

• Total Posts: 261
                                          Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Wed, 06/3/09 12:11 PM (permalink)
                                          I BE STUMPED---WHAT IS CLOTH BOLOGNA---ALL TOGETHER NOW-----------------RUSS

tdj_tx

• Total Posts: 135
                                            Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Sat, 07/10/10 6:22 PM (permalink)
                                            Born in OKC

I read all five pages for the first time before replying.  I was struck by how long it took anyone to mention Banh Mi, or Primanti's, or Montreal Smoked Meat, or Falafel, or a gyro, or  a meatball sub.  I don't know that anyone named a  Cuban, or the original Chik-Fil-A,  or a southern breakfast biscuit with good country ham.  Then there was the fried oyster po-boy my wifr had in Oregon one spring.

And I'm glad several mentioned hot open faced sandwiches with gravy and mashed potaoes.  I really enjoyed the pork and beef varieties when I was a kid. 

So far as subs with any filling including meatballs and cheesteaks are concerned there was a guy in Atlanta, "Tugi," years ago who absolutely had them nailed.  He might have been from NJ and was married to a Georgia girl.  He had a tie in with Joe Torre for a while, when the latter was managing the Braves. 

Picking five sandwiches as the "best" is more the exorcize of a gaunt undernourished TV person than of someone serious about food.  Probably that individual has been struck dead by now for advocating a Californing lobster roll!

Speaking of country ham, one of my all time favorites is a plain country ham sandwich from Keene's Depot in Bardstown KY. Nothing more than a slice of the best country ham between two slices of white bread. At $1 a piece I used to eat these like WhiteCastle hamburgers.

MiamiDon

Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 07/11/10 9:06 AM (permalink)
                                              I just read through the whole thread again.  It's amazing how many folks missed the point that the original list was of specific sandwiches available for purchase at specific businesses in the USA.

My golden standard for regional sandwiches is Roadfood Sandwiches* by Jane & Michael Stern.  I also like Sandwiches That You Will Like by Becky Mercuri.

* Nothing is perfect:  It's a mystery to me why they recommend a muffaletta from Cambridge, MA!

the ancient mariner

• Location: st petersburg, florida
                                                Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Sun, 07/11/10 2:48 PM (permalink)
                                                Miami---

The guys at MIT voted big for the Muff Sam-itch

And The Lobster Roll from Cali--is imported from the East
                                                don't you know. 

The Miami Cuban from Minny-ap-olis just missed the list.

IntelligentT82

• Total Posts: 125
                                                  Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Tue, 08/17/10 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                  1. Any of the stacked meat sandwiches from The Galley Subs in Kalamazoo, Michigan (now closed) Short History of The Galley

2. New York Reuben at University Roadhouse in Kalamazoo, Michigan

3. Prime Rib Sandwich at Old Burdick's in Kalamazoo, Michigan (now they changed it into a Prime Rib Wrap instead)

4. Chicken Sub or "The Colossal" sub at Roma's Pizza in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

5. The Italian Grinder Sub at Samuel Mancino's Italian Eatery in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                                    • Location: Rentiesville, OK
                                                    RE: Five best sandwichs in the USA Tue, 08/17/10 4:26 PM (permalink)
                                                    TWINWILLOW---I will meet you for lunch any time!!!---could go for that liverwurst right now!

quote=Twinwillow]

The best 5 sandwiches I can recall are.........

Number 1. Shrimp salad on rye from Brook's luncheonette on the ground floor of the Empire State Building. Fifth Ave. side at 33rd street. Not sure if it's still there. Anyone know?
                                                    Number 2. Pastrami on rye from Katz's deli.
                                                    Number 3. Yes, the Muffuletta from Central Grocery, New Orleans.
                                                    Number 4. My late mom's BLT.
                                                    Number 5. A good grilled cheese with tomato from any diner East of the Mississippi.
                                                    And, if I may take a liberty.........
                                                    Number 5-1/2. Liverwurst and American cheese with German mustard on a "hard roll" with a sour pickle from Schaller & Webber on East 86th. Street in NYC.
                                                    Don't forget the Yoo Hoo to wash it down.

sailawayklm

• Total Posts: 17
                                                      Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Tue, 08/17/10 5:15 PM (permalink)
                                                      Gyros at the Damascus Grill - Denver
                                                      Just about anything at the Sausage Deli - Tucson
                                                      Italian Roast Beef at the White Hen Pantry - Crown Point Indiana....no longer there...but I still dream about them!
                                                      Beef Brisket sandwich at the Miracle Mile Deli - Phoenix
                                                      Original Philly(whiz) at Philly's Cheesesteak Grill - Denver

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                                                        • Location: Beaver Falls, PA
                                                        Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Wed, 08/18/10 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        Primanti Bros pastrami, onion, and egg
                                                        Schwabl's beef on weck
                                                        Tony Luke's roast pork with broccoli rabe
                                                        Campo's italian hoagie
                                                        Fathead's slopes headwich

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1084
                                                          • Location: Edgewater Park, NJ
                                                          Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Fri, 08/20/10 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                                          Brisket sandwich – Kibitz Room, Cherry Hill, NJ
                                                          Cheesesteak – Gaetano's, any location in South Jersey
                                                          Egg, cheese & pork roll – any diner in Jersey
                                                          Grilled cheese – my kitchen
                                                          Roast Pork – DiNic’s, Reading Terminal Market, Philadelphia

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 900
                                                            • Location: Ocean City, NJ
                                                            Re:Five best sandwichs in the USA Sat, 08/21/10 7:17 AM (permalink)
                                                            How about a sub from the White House in AC?

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 5 of 6, messages 121 to 150 of 153

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com