Flapstix

Author
dte3672
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 46
2004/01/10 22:03:54 (permalink)

Flapstix

I used to LOVE the blueberry flavor Flapstix made by Jimmy Dean (pancake and sausage on a stick)Really miss them!

11 Replies Related Threads

lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/10 22:11:39 (permalink)
    Hello! Quest que c'est? This sounds like processed-food hell.Funny-I was thinking of pancakes for Sun morning but I had in mind some fluffy buttermilks with fresh mango.

JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/11 00:37:19 (permalink)
    lamertz, I use two buttermilk pancake recipes and love both of them (the other is Fannie Flagg's Buttermilk Pancakes). I thought you might enjoy this recipe.

SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

If there is anything particularly Southern about pancakes, it may be the prevalent use of buttermilk in the batter. This is a typical recipe.

Sift together:

2 cups of all-purpose flour
    2 tablespoons of sugar
    1 teaspoon of salt
    1 teaspoon of baking soda

Add 2 1/3 cups of buttermilk, stirring lightly but leaving the batter a bit lumpy. Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (or melted butter), mix well, and fold in 2 well-beaten eggs. Don’t over-stir the batter. Ladle onto a hot griddle (this batter is thick), forming cakes as big around as you wish. Cook completely on one side and then the other, turning only once. This recipe makes 10 to 12 puffy 5-inch pancakes.

Recipe from Southern Food: At Home, on the Road, in History, by John Egerton. 1993. University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, N.C.

Serve with melted butter and BROWN SUGAR SAUCE, about which Marion Flexner, in Out of Kentucky Kitchens (1949), said, “many old-time, dyed-in-the-wool Kentuckians prefer…to any other for their waffles and pancakes.”

Mix one cup of firmly packed light brown sugar in a saucepan with 4 tablespoons of water and 1 tablespoon of butter. Boil until the sugar melts, stirring to prevent sticking. Serve warm.

Recipes recorded by JimInKy, Lexington, Ky. December, 1999. Comments in parenthesis are mine.
    starrleicht
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/11 16:08:59 (permalink)
    Why is buttermilk considered a Southern thing? I use it all the time and I'm a lifetime yankee...lol.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/12 00:36:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by starrleicht

Why is buttermilk considered a Southern thing? I use it all the time and I'm a lifetime yankee...lol.

You make an interesting point, starrleicht.

I don't consider buttermilk in cooking a southern thing, but I do think it more of a southern thing. However, I have no idea if that's a correct assumption. Any thoughts about who would know?

In Southern Food, John Egerton writes, "As for buttermilk, it has long had special status in the South, not only as a drink, but as a vital ingredient in the making of some kinds of biscuit, cornbread, cake , and pie." Maybe the explanation for this predilection is self-evident: richer milk - be it high butterfat milk, whole cream, half-and-half or buttermilk - means richer and more tender biscuits and pancakes.

Southern cookbooks, cooking articles and heirloom recipes emphasize buttermilk. In our family, buttermilk was always used in biscuits, cornbread and pancakes. That traditon is so strongly imprinted on me that I will not make corn bread or biscuits without buttermilk.

tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/12 08:09:43 (permalink)
    Hmmmm---never used buttermilk in cornbread---JimInKy,that in both the "Cornlightbread" and in skillet cooked? Love buttermilk for pancakes,waffles and biscuits--will have to try it in cornbread.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/12 09:43:13 (permalink)
    Amen to buttermilk! Really good in cornbread too. Thanks,JiminKY for reminding me of Brown Sugar Sauce. I never had bottled maple syrup except at holidays or friends' houses as a kid,but who cared? That simple one is still my fave.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/12 10:16:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

Hmmmm---never used buttermilk in cornbread---JimInKy,that in both the "Cornlightbread" and in skillet cooked? Love buttermilk for pancakes,waffles and biscuits--will have to try it in cornbread.

tiki, I've never made corn lightbread and am not sure I've ever eaten any. The Meijer deli here sells loaves of something called English muffin bread, and I've wandered if that isn't a jazzy name for corn lightbread. I buy this bread, as it's very good toasted.

Whole buttermilk is great in cornbread. I don't bother with the lowfat variety.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/12 10:29:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lamertz

Amen to buttermilk! Really good in cornbread too. Thanks, JiminKY for reminding me of Brown Sugar Sauce. I never had bottled maple syrup except at holidays or friends' houses as a kid, but who cared? That simple one is still my fave.

You're more than welcome, lamertz. Incidentally, both light and dark brown sugar can be used. I make the syrup with whatever's on hand.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/12 20:10:38 (permalink)
    I sure don't want dte3672 to think I totally dissed his lament over the end of Flapstix with Jimmy Dean sausage on a stick. I,too,miss some wierd foods no longer avaliable.What exactly do these things look like?
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/12 21:58:21 (permalink)
    Aaahhh! Our local bar used to serve flapstix! Many drunken jokes at the flapstix expense. You just have to say that word with the right intonation to make one of my friends lose it.
    dte3672
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: Flapstix 2004/01/17 14:27:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lamertz

I sure don't want dte3672 to think I totally dissed his lament over the end of Flapstix with Jimmy Dean sausage on a stick. I,too,miss some wierd foods no longer avaliable.What exactly do these things look like?

Pretty much like a corndog!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1