Flatbread Company

Author
mjambro
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 429
2010/04/07 17:19:01 (permalink)

Flatbread Company

Stopped by Flatbread Company in Bedford, MA this past week (small chain, mostly in northern New England).  We had their Jay's Heart - basically a tomato sauce & cheese pizza.  Simply outstanding, possibly the best pizza we've ever had.    I was leery about the flat bread in their name, but their crust was more of a thin, but not crisp yeast bread.  The tomato sauce  evidently made on site using canned, whole tomatoes had much flavor with the cheese topping having a nice bite.  Baking in a wood fired oven provided the crust with a nice flavor.   For those wanting natural ingredients, the flour is reportedly non brominated / non enriched / organic, their sausage is nitrate free and their other ingredients seemed to be quite natural, but none of that scared us away.  A bit pricey, but well worth the quality. 

IMO, Pepe's has some significant competition.

http://www.flatbreadcompany.com/

3 Replies Related Threads

Guy Olsen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Flatbread Company 2010/08/09 12:37:25 (permalink)
    Inspired by the review of EVO, in North Charleston, SC...

I had lunch and dinner -- on the same day! -- at a Flatbread cousin near Whistler, BC, Canada, called Creekbread.  Very similar to what you described -- outstanding!

One thing I found very interesting is that they cut the pizza similarly to how it is done at DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies (Trenton and Robbinsville, NJ):  once down the middle, then across in parallel lines.  Also saw the chef chops the wood for the oven right there in the restaurant.
    post edited by Guy Olsen - 2010/08/09 12:43:07
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 679
    Re:Flatbread Company 2010/08/09 17:02:28 (permalink)
    Guy Olsen
    One thing I found very interesting is that they cut the pizza similarly to how it is done at DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies (Trenton and Robbinsville, NJ):  once down the middle, then across in parallel lines. 

For lack of a better name, I always call this the "fishbone" cut.  Not sure I like it, but Flatbread, and the *other* company American Flatbread[1] do it that way as well.  I'm more of a fan of the standard pizza wedge.

[1] Flatbread started as a franchise licensee of American Flatbread of Waitsfield, VT, but they parted ways several years ago and are only related in concept.  I like both chains, but in different ways.

RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 443
    Re:Flatbread Company 2010/08/10 20:48:24 (permalink)
    We ate at American Flatbread in Burlington a couple days ago and it was outstanding, along with their Zero Gravity beers.  I had sausage, black olives and mushrooms on my half.  My wife had Eggs Benedict on hers and it was amazing.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1