Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Nemis
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 186
2004/09/28 09:31:12 (permalink)

Flavors that grow on you with time....

Greetings everyone!
When i was 18 i enrolled in culinary school and worked as a chefs apprentice (I'm a female) for 5 years, I had to taste everything and anything that rolled though the kitchen to "educate" my taste buds. I was wondering what foods you once turned your cheeks away from but now like.
My foods are cilantro,salmon, and "hot" fruit . Hot fruit meaning cobblers and pies.
The weirdest thing i EVER saw was a big skinned bear foot, i didn't know what my Chef was going to do with it and I wasn't about to ask questions fearing he'd make me taste it or have to prepare it for a banquet.

51 Replies Related Threads

emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 10:37:56 (permalink)
    Potato Salad-my parents tried their best to get me to eat potato salad growing up and I would not try it. When I first started dating my husband to be, we ate at his Mothers house and she had potato salad on the table. I was too shy to say that I did not eat potato salad, so I tried it and now it is one of my favorite sides to prepare and eat. I still don't eat raw tomatoes or drink coffee.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 10:41:40 (permalink)
    Olives. I hated them when I was a kid, barely tolerated them as a young adult- now I really like them (although I do have a marked preference for black olives over green)
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 10:44:29 (permalink)
    For about a million years,I hated both broccoli, and asparagus. About 7 years ago, I gave broccoli another shot, and found that I like it. A lot. Almost too much. I came around to asparagus earlier this year.

I still won't eat grits, but I try them once a year, if only to find that my tastes have changed.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 10:51:05 (permalink)
    Interesting thread. . . . It's a bit off-topic, but I wonder how many of us ate something loathsome because our parents had drummed "good manners" into our heads. With me it was creamed corn, which I now eat without much reluctance, if not much pleasure either. I didn't like cilantro, either, but ate it "because it was put before me," and now I love it.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 10:52:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cleveland66

I still won't eat grits, but I try them once a year, if only to find that my tastes have changed.
    Ever tried stone-ground?
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 17:56:09 (permalink)
    I was never much of a veggie-eater as a kid, but now I love most of them. I recall once I actually threw up when trying to comply with a perental demand to eat my carrots. Now I actually eat them willingly in certain cooked dishes (soup, stew etc). On the other hand, I LOVE the much-maligned Brussel sprout and don't recall ever disliking them. Among the veggies I still cannot call myself a fan of is most squash (including zuchini), turnips, rutabagas, rubarb and maybe a few other things.

Reading over the other posts here kind of amazes me--most of the stuff people hated I have always loved including: olives, creamed corn, brocoli, asparagus and, especially, potato salad..
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4077
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 18:36:54 (permalink)
    When I was growing up, just the word "halibut" made me sick. I actually would leave the house to avoid the smell when my parents made it. Fish, actually in general. Sushi changed my attitude as I started eating it raw. Eventually, I even started liking a cooked piece of fish. These days, I love a nice piece of grilled halibut. I also enjoy it as ceviche or in cioppino. Funny how tastes change.......
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 20:04:10 (permalink)
    When I was growing up I hated mayo (except in potato salad but everything else - blech!) Then one day in San Francisco in 1991 at Sam's Grill, my cottage fry made contact with my tartar sauce and I had an epiphany, I started liking mayo - especially with fries!

I never liked bitter tasting foods or drinks (Campari, beer, bitter melon, etc.) but after receiving a large dose of radioactive iodine which killed my taste buds, my "new" taste buds have liked bitter foods since (though cannot drink cheap wine anymore - it tastes like vinegar!)
    marberthenad
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 21:24:01 (permalink)
    Tamarind ...
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/28 23:03:56 (permalink)
    mushrooms, cucumbers, onions (fixed certain ways...)
    BT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/29 03:48:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ericats

When I was growing up I hated mayo (except in potato salad but everything else - blech!) Then one day in San Francisco in 1991 at Sam's Grill, my cottage fry made contact with my tartar sauce and I had an epiphany, I started liking mayo - especially with fries!

Try that tartar sauce on deep fried chicken tenders. MMMM, good!
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/29 09:37:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick F.
    Ever tried stone-ground?

yep. pretty much anyway you can present them as a breakfast side, i don't like 'em. i've had casserole-type grits dishes that included lots of garlic & cheese, and those weren't so bad. if this wasn't enough to have my southerner card revoked, i don't like rice either. that should get me kicked out of louisiana...
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/09/29 09:53:52 (permalink)
    Tartar Sauce is still something I can't stand. I always order Cocktail sauce and fresh lemon slices to eat on my seafood.
    Cottage Cheese is another thing that I can't eat alone. I can eat it in congealed salads, but not by itself
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by ericats

Try that tartar sauce on deep fried chicken tenders. MMMM, good!
    spaniel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/03 15:08:07 (permalink)
    These discussions are always interesting to me. There was a great thread on a similar topic a while back, "You hated it as a kid but love it now": http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2624
    The process by which dislikes turn into likes seems to be a combination of palates getting less sensitive over time (strong flavors that adults enjoy can be unpleasant to kids) and repeated exposure to something gradually leading to acceptance. Although unlike Jeffrey Steingarten, I'm not sure I believe # 2 will always work.

I used to abhor mushrooms, tomato sauce (I think I was the only kid in America who wouldn't eat pizza!), swiss cheese, and soy sauce, but now I like all these things.

I am still trying to learn to like olives, mayonnaise, raw tomatoes, and bell peppers in any form.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/04 04:22:59 (permalink)
    The palate is educable and I suppose there are several reasons we might come to like foods we once found disgusting besides maturing taste buds, including different prep or different presentation as noted by Ed Sails above. There is also necessity, and, I suspect for many on this board, havng our curiousity aroused by reading a cookbook or hearing about it from others.

Unlike many kids, I always loved spinach (thanks to Popeye); I was okay with salads but couldn't take cabbage, collards or other greens. In the case of collards and mustard greens that was possibly due to the strong flavors but cabbage is milder than spinach. But like many cooks of her era, my mother stewed all greens until they had the consistency of wet tissue paper and, regardless of the flavor, it was the texture I couldn't get past. When I learned not to overcook them I came to love 'em. Same thing was true of broccoli and asparagus, cooked until they were disintegrating I had no use for them. But I learned to lightly steam them and now broccoli is now one of my two favorite veggies and I love asparagus, too.

Nothing could ever get me to have okra after sampling it once and finding the sliminess disgusting until I came across a recipe in an old Roy Andries DeGroot cookbook pairing okra with cheshire cheese; the unique tanginess of Cheshire was, as he put it, a perfect foil for the sliminess of okra and I've loved okra ever since and eat it lots of different ways.

My parents regularly feasted gleefully on fried oysters when I was a child. My brother and I were always treated to salmon croquettes on those days but once we were allowed to sample the food that was just for Mommie and Daddy for some reason (this was pre-puberty; I guess they didn't want to take any chances on our hormones getting revved up ). I didn't find it particularly offensive but didn't see what was supposed to be special about it and never asked for it again. It was almost 2 decades later before I came across the recipe for Oyster Pan Roast Grand Central in a cookbook and knew I had to try it. Now I love oysters on the half shell and in a pan roast; I'll eat 'em fried, but seldom order them because most places over cook them like that.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/04 09:43:05 (permalink)
    Liver in my youth meant dad cooking it till the texture was similar to a Nike sneaker. One night in a restaurant I worked at, grilled calve's liver was served as staff dinner. A great moment of discovery. I still don't like the jelly texture of brains however.

It has been said that you must eat 10 olives before you like them.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/19 16:17:45 (permalink)
    Tuna fish. The smell really turned me off as a kid. But by the time I was in my 20's and living on my own for the first time, my dinners would often consist of a can of tuna (plain, no mayo) and a side dish of pasta with butter. My wife, who was dating me back then, thought that was just disgusting. (most people can't stand plain tuna, for some reason. I've always enjoyed it, though it can be dry. I only eat the albacore kind).
    carlton pierre
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/19 21:57:26 (permalink)
    Boiled peanuts. I do not like boiled peanuts, except I cannot stop eating them when they're around.

carl reitz
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/19 22:53:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

Cottage Cheese is another thing that I can't eat alone. I can eat it in congealed salads, but not by itself.

Try French dressing or thousand-island dressing on cottage cheese. That is the only way I like it, except when it is used in cooking. I find cottage cheese very bland and the salad dressing gives it a little "kick".
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/19 22:59:39 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    Pistachio nuts!
    Unnuttily, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    hermitt4d
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 367
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 03:12:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by emsmom

Cottage Cheese is another thing that I can't eat alone. I can eat it in congealed salads, but not by itself
    Try it with ground sage sprinkled on it or crumble some sage leaves over it. Fresh ground black pepper is good, too. A good snack.
    BaconBits
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 09:52:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Boiled peanuts. I do not like boiled peanuts, except I cannot stop eating them when they're around.

The FIRST thing I thought of when I read the thread was boiled peanuts!! When I was first introduced to them one summer down in South Carolina I was told that it was an 'acquired' taste - and indeed it is. At first I was totally grossed out by them - now I get cravings!
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 10:19:51 (permalink)
    Broccoli, never liked it as a kid, still don't, although I will tolerate it in some Chinese dishes.
    Asparagus, hated it as a kid, love it now, especially sauteed in olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice.

And danimal, I also love a plain can of tuna, no mayo, just a squirt of lemon juice, some ground pepper, with buttered marble rye toast and a nice tomato salad (oil, balsamic vinegar, ground pepper, basil, and oregano on the side.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 11:24:42 (permalink)
    I've always had a hard time with the taste of calfs/beef liver. However, I love chicken liver, liverwurst, Southern liver pudding/mush and even tolerate liver in the B-B-Q hash (I'm from South Carolina ... hence the word HASH). I even eat souse meat/hogs head cheese ... and who knows whats really in that !!!

I also don't like the taste/texture of plain/raw avacados. But I love guacamole !
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 12:03:19 (permalink)
    Cant drink blended scotch or whiskey straight. Something about it makes me cringe. Can drink it mixed in a drink and can drink single malt.

Moxie and Dr Browns Cel-Ray never appealed to me. Now I know why my dad loves them.
    BakersBoy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 13:39:09 (permalink)
    Couldn't eat beets or squash, just something about the taste. In the past few years however I've learned how to roast both. In fact had spaghetti squash for dinner last night.

BB
    Rex Allen
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 14:19:09 (permalink)
    As I was growing up, I was told do not dismiss any food until you have tried it a couple of times. Soooooo, I love all kinds of food. I feel sorry for people who can't stand some kinds of food. Rex in whinnying, expensive, San Diego.
    Phishmonger
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 217
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 14:32:45 (permalink)
    Re: Cottage Cheese.....Try it with Sweet (or Hot) Pepper Relish. That and some crisp crackers make a great appetizer. Sip some good bourbon with water with this. m-m-m-m-m-m.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: Flavors that grow on you with time.... 2004/10/20 16:10:28 (permalink)
    I hated green beans, now I love them.
    I never gained the appreciation for SOS everyone in my family has.
    My brother is the pickiest eater on Earth...I finally got him to like grits and corn pudding...
    And we both agree sweet potatoes taste like insulation.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1