Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish

Author
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6383
2011/09/09 21:15:34 (permalink)

Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish

Ok fellow Roadfooders

I have never used any of the above listed photo sharing sites.

Let me have your good, your bad and your ugly about theses sites.

10 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3480
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/09 21:20:28 (permalink)
    I've only ever used Photobucket, because it was the first one I tried and I saw no reason to look further. All I use it for is posting photos on forums that don't allow uploads, but I know it does way more stuff than that.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7843
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/09 21:43:12 (permalink)
    I use www.tinypic.com

It's free and you have to jump through hoops to just get a URL for one picture, but it's free.

They don't store pictures for you so I use them just for posting pictures on boards that require picture URLs.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/09 22:08:53 (permalink)
    T see tinypic is a division of Photobucket.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 892
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/09 23:40:35 (permalink)
    I use Flickr. In the volumes of photos that I post, I end up paying for it.

It makes it pretty easy to generate a big hunk of HTML or bbcode that I can copy and paste into a post, and I like that; that's why I switched from MobileMe's galleries to flickr.

I suspect I'm only using a fraction of its features, and I don't feel it's a perfect fit for me.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6359
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/10 11:22:20 (permalink)
    I have Flickr, Picasa and Photobucket accounts along with a few others like MobileMe Gallery, Photoshop.com, Facebook and TwitPic, and I have used tinypic.com.  If you are asking about file sharing referenced embedded photos for message boards like Roadfood.com here I find Photobucket.com to be the easiest no-brainer site to use.

Before I upload a file to Photobucket.com I make a 640 x 480 copy that is under 100KB. That is the size I mostly use to share. My original high rez photos stay on my computer. If someone rips off a low rez from me that's all they get. With that file size you can maintain a free account and upload over a thousand photos. You can create Albums to categorize your photos to make them easier to browse. There is a search function but I seldom use it. Your albums have thumbnail views. Here is the no-brainer part. All you have to do is scroll your mouse over a photo in an album and a window pops up giving you copiable URL choices for various functions. When that window pops up all you have to do is scroll down to the "IMG Code" option and click once on the code to copy it. Then here in Roadfood.com when composing a message just paste that code in at the insertion point and you are done. The BBCode is pre-prepared for you so you don't have to use advanced tools.

I use Photobucket.com just for file sharing in message boards. You can file share from the others but it is a bit more difficult.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6359
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/10 11:29:57 (permalink)
    Ralph Melton

I use Flickr. In the volumes of photos that I post, I end up paying for it.

It makes it pretty easy to generate a big hunk of HTML or bbcode that I can copy and paste into a post, and I like that; that's why I switched from MobileMe's galleries to flickr.

I suspect I'm only using a fraction of its features, and I don't feel it's a perfect fit for me.

I understand Apple will be doing away with MobileMe Galleries at the end of June, 2012 so that may not be an option in the future. Also with MobileMe your photos if uploaded directly from iPhoto and managed in iPhoto are going to be a higher resolution than desired for sharing in Roadfood.com. And it is more difficult to copy and extract the URL to reference. I store my original photos in iPhoto and can share them directly to Facebook, MobileMe and Flickr but prefer using Photobucket.com for file sharing to message boards.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5042
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/10 13:59:59 (permalink)
    I'm also a Photobucket user and it should be noted that while a basic account is free once a certain space limit is reached (I forget what it is now) images will need to be deleted to make room for new ones, or the account will need to updated to "pro" level ($39/year for unlimited space).

Brad
    dimmie2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 238
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/10 15:51:47 (permalink)
    I use the site I get through my ISP. 
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2087
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/10 18:13:47 (permalink)
    hummm ... I have my own server.   no problem with storage space.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3480
    Re:Flickr vs Photobucket vs Picasa vs snapfish 2011/09/10 18:34:45 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken

I'm also a Photobucket user and it should be noted that while a basic account is free once a certain space limit is reached (I forget what it is now) images will need to be deleted to make room for new ones, or the account will need to updated to "pro" level ($39/year for unlimited space).

Brad

This is true...but I've been using Photobucket for the last ~8 years and have yet to reach that limit.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1