Florida BBQ

Author
Bluemaxx
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 465
2004/04/21 02:07:22 (permalink)

Florida BBQ

As a natixe Floridian, I have eaten at just about every good BBQ joint in FL but I am curious what the REAL BBQ experts think about BBQ here in FL? Where do you all like to eat when you are down here???

Rich
[url]www.BluemaxxRacing.com[/url]

21 Replies Related Threads

Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/21 08:48:17 (permalink)
    I too, am trying to find the best roadfood BBQ near Sarasota. Around Orlando, I usually go to Bobbaloo's (formerly Barney's) in Altamonte. There's a good place in Ft. Myers (Harold's ?). So Blue Max, tell me your favorites.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/21 10:39:25 (permalink)
    Bluemaxx: Great web site. I am going to be in Titusville, FL early in May and I am going to try your suggestion of Dixie Crossroads. I like their web site also. I can't wait to try some of their seafood.

I really like the way you added your roadfood stops on the site.

Incidentally, I too enjoy racing although we do 1/4 mile racing with NHRA in super comp and super gas.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    flattop5
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 113
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/21 12:04:15 (permalink)
    Any BBQ recommendations in the Tampa/St. Pete area?
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/21 14:43:04 (permalink)
    For BBQ in Tampa / St Pete area I refer you to Ribdog on these forums - he's a pro and knows his way around that area better than anyone. I'm a rank amateur Yankee, but for what it's worth, I like
    in St Pete: The Butlers for eastern N. Carolina style BBQ.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/21 15:38:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

For BBQ in Tampa / St Pete area I refer you to Ribdog on these forums - he's a pro and knows his way around that area better than anyone.

Seafarer John, you left me out - the girl expert in St Pete/Tampa. I guess I can forgive you.

I've heard mixed reviews about Big Tim's in St. Pete - but all that smoke smells so good driving by. There's a place called Famous Fred Fleming's on 4th St N in St Pete. Never ate there, but the place is always (and I mean always) packed. For real, authentic Southern cue, try Connie's on 16th St S, a stone's throw from Tropicana Field.
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/21 15:43:23 (permalink)
    I've been told about a place called Shorty's, a shack somewhere in South Florida (can't remember where, unfortunately.) I think it's an hour or 90 minutes from Boca Raton. I know two people who each went to a nearby hospital that's apparently renowned for hernia surgeries, and both said the surgery was inconsequential because they were able to eat at Shorty's.

I only mention the specifics of the surgical specialty with the hopes it might help someone identify the location.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/21 21:37:55 (permalink)
    Kristy: My most abject apologies, you have been a great help in finding places to eat in the Tampa Bay area. I certainly should have mentioned Connies, a joint with great BBQ, but in a tough neighborhood. Also should have mentioned Hogly Wogly- a joint with great mustardy sauce. Fred Flemings on 4th was pretty good about 3 or 4 years ago- the chain grew too fast and they lost their soul- the BBQ slipped and the service became intolerable.
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/21 23:38:54 (permalink)
    Hello Everyone!

Thanks for replying! As for my favorite BBQ joints in FL, I have five:

1. Tom's Ribs - Currently located in Boca Raton but will be re-locating to West Palm Beach this summer sometime. Tom's is simply the BEST BBQ on the east coast of Florida! I know that is a bold statement but since we are not a state with umpteen million BBQ joints (ie: NC, TN, GA, AL, TX, MO, etc...) I figure I can get away with it. The only BBQ joints that even come close are my next suggestions:

2. Shorty's BBQ - Located in South Miami, next to the Dadeland Mall on US 1. Shorty's is the place I ate at with my buddies at least twice a week while I was in college (GO CANES!!). The atmosphere is the best of any BBQ joint in FL and personally, I find it hard to NOT think about those ribbed fries along side of a full slab of ribs....YUM!!

3. Mississippi Sweets - Three locations....Boca Raton, Boynton Beach and Palm Beach Gardens. All three locations are very small and they do not take reservations so you will definitely wait. The BBQ is outstanding but make sure you try an order of "Mississippi Sweets". You will be very glad you did!

4. Michelbob's - Located in Naples, this is considered by many to be the best BBQ in FL, although my vote still goes to Tom's.

5. GA Pig - Located in Davie (west of Ft. Lauderdale) and they are NOT related to the GA Pig in Brunswick, GA. This GA Pig is known for their shredded BBQ Pork sandwich....awesome!

Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with west coast or northern Florida BBQ, although I am always willing to learn. That is precisely why I started this topic. Any suggestions are very welcome.

Rich
    Penoose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/04/22 14:38:03 (permalink)
    >>Michelbob's - Located in Naples, this is considered by many to be the best BBQ in FL, although my vote still goes to Tom's. <<

I haven't eaten enough Florida Q to throw around superlatives like "best," but this place is really solid. I last ate there in '98 or '99, but I remember REALLY liking the ribs.

P.j.

barrylann
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/05/07 18:01:26 (permalink)
    I moved to Jacksonville a year ago from Memphis...is there any good bbq in N. Florida that isn't (ungh) Sonny's? Bono's seems a little better....but sticking to the theory that the best BBQ comes from places on the Health Dept Violators' List, I cant find a place that seems to be focused on the BBQ instead of a bottom line.

HELP!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/05/07 18:13:47 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    You'd think that there would be edible BBQ in the Wauchula-Arcadia-Bartow-Fort Meade-Avon Park area (I'm one of THOSE Carltons), but I never could find it when I would visit... and I did some SERIOUS hunting! My best bets for a whereabouts would be up towards the Panhandle in towns like Quincy or Marianna or Lake City.
    There's also a place in Clewiston on U. S. 27 and I've been told one in either La Belle or Moore Haven. There's enough of us old-time Floridians out there (my father escaped in the 1930's, though) to support such real country cookin'.
    Good luck in your quest. I've got to make an eventual trip downcountry, and I'll be watching for tips on where I should eat.
    By the way, I never officially lived in Florida, but I consider it a second home: the interior, not the coasts! - Especially the thrift stores!!!
    Second-Handily, Ort. Carlton in Athens, GA.
    P. S. The people of Mexican heritage in Hardee County do some credible barbecuing. One place in Zolfo Springs actually roasts pigs in a real, live pit. They have this gummy green sauce like comes from their home turf of Nuevo Leon State that is sweet, hot, sour, and bitter all at once. Apparently tomatoes are not an ingredient (unless it's green ones) and cactus is. Utterly fascinating.
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/05/31 21:25:46 (permalink)
    Anybody ever been to Blackwater BBQ on Orange Ave in Orlando ?

I tried it and loved every bite when I was recently in Orlando on vacation.

It's in a strip mall near Holden Ave.

They placed 5th out of 107 contestants at the competition in Memphis.

Definitely worth the trip while you're visiting the Mouse.
    Bluemaxx
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/05/31 22:02:10 (permalink)
    Thanks LongDog! I will definitely have to try that place!

Rich
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/05/31 23:22:22 (permalink)
    quote:

For BBQ in Tampa / St Pete area I refer you to Ribdog on these forums - he's a pro and knows his way around that area better than anyone. I'm a rank amateur Yankee, but for what it's worth, I like
    in St Pete: The Butlers for eastern N. Carolina style BBQ.

You are too kind, John. But since you asked, I will throw a few words out.

But first, I have to say that que is such a subjective subject to ask what is the best. I remember the instructors at my BBQ judges school telling us how becoming a BBQ judge would ruin us for going to BBQ restaurants. I finally realized what he and she told us a few years down the road. It is extremely difficult to switch off your judge's instincts whenever you eat que. Especially my own! That said, I will move on to the restaurants.

John pointed out Butler's, Kristi nominated Big Tim's and Connie's, and so on. I think these are good choices. I will say that Fred Fleming's que does not impress me. Some of their side items do but not their que. I enjoy Jimbo's in Tampa, Hickory Hollow down in Ellenton(especially for their sides), Peebles in Auburndale(especially for it's character) and Blackwater in Orlando.

But I am of the belief that I have not tried the best yet and am constantly searching for it. I think one of the best I have ever tried has been Big Bob Gibson's up in Decatur, AL but that is another story.

All I can say is keep trying them all Rich. The next one could be the best!

John
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/06/01 10:14:35 (permalink)
    Well spoken, Rib Dog...!
    Stogie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/06/01 11:10:06 (permalink)
    Hey, John......

Isn't Blackwater's owned by Buster's boy, David? He married Joby's daughter and now compete under that name. If so, he has a long heritage of great cookers and knows his Q. Buster learned from the Master himself...Myron from Jack's Old South....and has taught both his sons and many more of us.

As long as they can stick with how they compete, the Blackwaters would just have to be pretty darn good.

Stogie
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/06/01 14:15:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stogie

Hey, John......

Isn't Blackwater's owned by Buster's boy, David? He married Joby's daughter and now compete under that name. If so, he has a long heritage of great cookers and knows his Q. Buster learned from the Master himself...Myron from Jack's Old South....and has taught both his sons and many more of us.

As long as they can stick with how they compete, the Blackwaters would just have to be pretty darn good.

Stogie

Hi Stogie.

You are 110% correct. That is one of the reasons why I like places like Big Bob's and such. The que they serve to the public is vastly superior because they compete and they win. Heck, I think Big Bob's has taken the pork shoulder category at Memphis In May for like the past five or six years. How can that not help what your serve the public.

John
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/06/01 14:17:07 (permalink)
    quote:

Well spoken, Rib Dog...!

Thanks John. I calls them like I see them.

John
    Mike F
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/06/02 21:57:46 (permalink)
    RibDog,

Have you tried First Choice in Brandon? It's on Brandon Blvd/Adamo Dr, a quarter mile west of I-75 in the strip center with Home Depot.

I don't understand anyone's fascination with Fred Flemming's.

Mike
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/06/02 22:29:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mike F

RibDog,

Have you tried First Choice in Brandon? It's on Brandon Blvd/Adamo Dr, a quarter mile west of I-75 in the strip center with Home Depot.

I don't understand anyone's fascination with Fred Flemming's.

Mike

No I have not. But now that you have brought it up, I will have to make a short roadtrip to try it.

On Fred's, I agree about the que. I drive past the original location in St. Pete every morning. For the past two weeks, they have been expounding on how many shrimp they had sold in the last week. Not how many pounds but how many individual shrimp. This is not something I would expect of a BBQ place. But as I said, some of their sides are respectable.

When I get to First Choice, I will report back. It may be a few weeks though.

John
    mountain traveler
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Florida BBQ 2004/06/02 23:31:53 (permalink)
    The only bbq place I have eaten at in Florida is Michelbob's in Naples. It was very good and the portions were humongous!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1