Florida Commissary?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Beaverstreet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/01/12 21:48:37 (permalink)
Holdem,
Here is a website for the state of Florida and most of your questions will be answered. If you do not find the answers then there is a phone number to get more info.
If this does not do it for you then let me know and I will put you in touch with my Food inspector.

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/fs/permitrq.html

I am dealing with all of this now to hold someone that is doing festivals with pre packaged frozen items.
They will hold at my commissary then go to the festival, then return.
Good luck and many sales
Chriss
Beaverstreet
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/01/12 21:58:56 (permalink)
Holdem;
Also go to number 9 when you go to the page and read the regulations for Semi-Permanent Vendor.
I think this will help you
Rootsman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 235
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/01/13 17:29:03 (permalink)
Once you have a MFDV license you can operate from your trailer or a tent at no additional permit/license cost.  Just pay the $340+ for the year for the MFDV license. 

You will need to make sure that you meet all the requirements on the DBPR special event permit checklist when you operate from a tent.

Personally, I feel that special event permits should be banned, with a few exceptions.   At the very least that person should be required to have a Food Managers certificate.

Allowing someone who usually has limited food safety knowledge, limited cold food storage, limited experience cooking for a few hundred-thousand people and keeping that food safe for consumption all day or sometimes for a second day is a formula for disaster.

olddude2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 716
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/01/13 17:45:50 (permalink)
the problem with events is that no state has the number of HD inspectors to cover any but a small percentage of those events, so they cover only what they can, mostly larger fairs and carnivals
RobInNY
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 42
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/01/13 18:51:14 (permalink)
Well, well...lots to be said I see from experience and replies about your question regarding a "Commissary" in florida.
Here's a few other points to consider:

1) Make certain you offer the "Commissary" the ability to be named "Additionally Insured" for the duration of your license (if you choose to get one) A commissary holds the same responsibility and liability for your operation as you do

2) Florida is a "ServSafe" state   www.servsafe.com  you'll need this certification to get a full time permit, but not a temp permit. (so I understand..)

3) Though one county in a state issues a DOH permit, it does not mean acceptability in other counties.  NY for example has a multitude of counties, each requiring you to have their county DOH permit.  Some charge for each event, some for the season.  Some offer reciprocation (free) if you already have another counties permit.  Not all do this, it seems that even if it is a State Permit, the counties rule...kind of an excise tax.

4).  The DOH is simply insuring the best possible way to at least have some form of responsibility for proper sanitation and food handling.  Also, "deeper pockets" to go after should the need arise.

5) My familiarity with DOH requirements is extensive as I've worked many states..I won't work Florida.  I too have pride in my sanitation and am ill at ease with others who scrape by with a bucket of bleached water as a hand washing system (if that!)   Even personal pride should overcome "slide-by" techniques...Damn folks, you've got a hell of a risk out there in warm weather with bacteria and salmonella...Treat everything professionally, show the public that you care about them and they'll keep returning.  The public isn't dumb.  Many customers will turn away from an unkempt facility that looks (and smells) dirty.

6)  To PACEFLCHICK, glad you feel the way you do, I wish more did.  You hit the nail square.  I too have a trailer unit, and three additional tent units.  ALL have sinks and running hot water plus all the other goodies the DOH requires.  It's necessary, so why fight it and try to "cheap-out".  It only costs you aggravation down the road.

7) Temp Permits (not requiring a commissary) are subject to playing Russian-roulette at ever event.  You go, you set up, you get ready to serve, and in walks an inspector and shuts you down.  No thanks, I want the "full Monty"...no risk of being shut down (Full Permit / Mobile Food Vendor or Mobile Kitchen)

8) Now go out there and have fun...I might even stop by in Titusville when this old "Snowbird" takes a southern vacation.  Keep your gloves on! 

Rob Wyman , CEC  aka: RobInNY
NYS DOH Sanitarian (temporary assistant-events only)
ServSafe Manager/Instructor certified
NYS DOH Certified/Permitted (under 5 different permits)
VT,CT, RI, Ma.,NH,NJ, Me.,Pa, Fl, and Ga. permitted "mobile food vendor"

Wyman Concession and Catering. LLC (Florida Corporation)
Offices: Flagler Beach, Fla. / Salem, NY

PS: Any one that needs ANY free neighborly advice with the concession business, be it start up "economy style", to who is the best insurer (Colleen Dailey / Nationwide Insurance/John P. Stone Agency/Albany, NY/ DelayC@nationwide.com
518 453 9188      $450/yr. total $$2mm / $4mm aggregate w/additionally insured rider, all 50 states and Canada.)
CALL ME 518 854 9731 or Email me: rewymanvt@yahoo.com   Who knows?, we may be able to assist each other!  It's all free.

Go enjoy the events folks, keep it professional in every aspect and build your business.
  Rob

OK, enough of the verbal diareah....

holdem
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 415
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/01/13 21:32:46 (permalink)
Thanks for all of the tips. I'm licensed in Ohio. The biggest difference is that I'm not required to use a commissary here. I have to have one in Florida (my original question). I've spoken with the license department and know what they require. Even though I use a tent I do have 3 wash sinks and hand wash sink with hot water. I get inspected here often and never have a problem. I keep everything clean and follow all the regulations. As I stated in another reply I attended a high class art festival in Florida and could not believe that some of the food vendors could pass any kind of inspection. Which is too bad. You should be proud of what you sell or don't sell it. Thanks again.
joefl32763
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/05/19 20:12:35 (permalink)
hi olddude. im new to the site but thought id comment. if memory serves me right i believe the brothers you are talking about taking over the florida state fair were ed and don gregory.they owned united shows of america out of tennessee. i believe thier show was auctioned of piece by piece. and yes they were bad news. i was in the carnival business for many years. stepped away for quite awhile and now im comming back. ive found alot of usefull info on the site so far. things have sure changed alot over the years
DadsDogs
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 629
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/05/19 20:55:51 (permalink)
joefl32763

hi olddude. im new to the site but thought id comment. if memory serves me right i believe the brothers you are talking about taking over the florida state fair were ed and don gregory.they owned united shows of america out of tennessee. i believe thier show was auctioned of piece by piece. and yes they were bad news. i was in the carnival business for many years. stepped away for quite awhile and now im comming back. ive found alot of usefull info on the site so far. things have sure changed alot over the years

I haven't seen olddude on here for at least a week.  He used to be on here everyday.  I don't know if you will get a lot of feedback since this thread was from January.  Glad to see you using the search though.......DD
chefgirlrdee
Junior Burger
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/07/01 11:42:36 (permalink)
Sorry my good man but you DO need a commissary even for temporary events. Where are you going to clean your utensils (unless you have a trailer, inspected and approved with four-bay sink)? Florida law requires your utensils be cleaned at an approved commissary with three-bay sink NOT at your home. Florida prohibits the storing of food products anywhere but the commissary (or your APPROVED and INSPECTED trailer) and you may NOT use water from your home, only from an approved commissary, no exceptions to this rule. I began vending temporary events, too. You need a commissary. My commissary only charges a couple hundred bucks and can help you with water, ice and everything else.
Buck & Vi's
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/07/01 17:51:14 (permalink)
holdem , have you ckd with h/d on the tent rig? when i was first wating to get in, i was thinking of the tent and had almost bought one, i called the h/d and they said they were starting to ban these things, but they did say something about temps. and sinks, i also heard you had to have them closed in too. just a heads up. better check unless you already have. Buck
Doggie Bites
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 147
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/07/04 07:43:45 (permalink)
Hey Holdem,DO NOT use your churches fully Lic. kitchen for your commissary,I just got turn down on my plan review,he said it's not insp.by DOA,new laws forbid them to insp churches???? go figure.churches are insp. by DOH,so I have to go to supermarket,resturant or deli WTF:) good luck let me know how you make out.
Mike
PalmBay Fl
olddude2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 716
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/07/04 11:31:54 (permalink)
What happens when they no longer have enough inspectors to inspect the 1000 hot dog carts in Florida.

you think they will ignore you like a hospital, or maybe, just regulate you out of business. 

Don't organise, don't speak up, mind your own business every thing will be ok.
tammymcpa
Junior Burger
Re:Florida Commissary? 2010/11/30 17:49:34 (permalink)
Does anyone know of a commissary I could use in the tampa area?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1