Flo's in Maine

Author
Tony Bad
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5117
2003/09/02 13:09:29 (permalink)

Flo's in Maine

Hit Flo's in Cape Neddick MAine while visiting relatives. They are healthy eating nuts, so I had to sneak out. REAL FINE hot dogs!! I was told to get mine with hot suace and mayo...as they say...When in Rome...and it was good advice. If you are in this neck of the woods...try!!

10 Replies Related Threads

Bona
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2003/10/01 11:10:03 (permalink)
    I've been to Flo's and it is a great eating adventure that starts with the order. My friend tried to change her order as we moved up in line and she was told "No Changes!" Get the sauce on the dog ! Don't blink or you'll miss it.
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/03/10 13:21:45 (permalink)
    Gail has announced that the famous hot sauce will be bottled and put on sale, both at Flo's and in supermarket distribution, most likely by this summer.
    Not sure about mail or internet ordering yet.
    T-Shirts are now being sold inside.
    Still no phone.
    As of early March, the results are the same-Gail says at least 80% of the customers request their dogs dressed with mayo, hot sauce, and celery salt.
    DaveM
    guspas
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/03/16 18:33:49 (permalink)
    can someone describe the hotsauce?
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/05/08 00:11:48 (permalink)
    was only there once about a year and a half ago.

The sauce is very dark in color - definitely has habanero's in it
    DaveM
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/05/10 15:12:28 (permalink)
    Not really hot.
    Kind of a stewed onion relish
    If it has peppers, they are not very strong
    Usually open till 3PM-line constantly goes out the door.
    Recently highlighted again on local Boston TV-www.phantomgourmet.com -show on area Hot Dog establishments-they ran video of the "Flo" dog-steamed dog with mayo, hot sauce, and celery salt.
    Usually the website has streaming video of past shows.
    DaveM
    Bona
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/05/10 16:56:45 (permalink)
    Have been to Flo's stand a couple times and the first time my wife didn't want the sauce but changed her mind as she got closer to the end of the line but they refused to add it to the order. I laughed and laughed while others snickered. You better order it right the first time !
    chezkatie
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/05/10 17:09:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bona

Have been to Flo's stand a couple times and the first time my wife didn't want the sauce but changed her mind as she got closer to the end of the line but they refused to add it to the order. I laughed and laughed while others snickered. You better order it right the first time !

I will probably get "drummed" out of ROADFOOD but must say that I did not think these hot dogs were anything special...........would not bother going there again.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/05/11 10:22:13 (permalink)
    are these of the really red variety?
    stanpnepa
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/05/11 11:09:40 (permalink)
    I didn't expect much---I was still full from an absolutely terrific Lobster Roll (The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport) AND waited an hour for them. But...the dog with the mayo really was something special. I've never had anything like it actually.
    roadwalker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Flo's in Maine 2004/05/19 12:20:26 (permalink)
    I was taken to Flo's on Sunday by someone who raved and raved. Mind you, I have chased ALL over the country for dogs that I heard were supposed to be good.

I just didn't find anything to rave about. The dog itself was above average. The sauce was a really nothing special onion chutney type thing (they now sell in a smallish bottle for 7.95!!!!) - the mayo wasn't even as good as Hellman's (Trader Joe's being one of the best available commercially). And there sure wasn't much sauce - and half of what there was - was absorbed by the napkin they half crush around the dog.

The bun was the usual pitiful pure white 'nothing' that turns into a blob of sweet library paste in your mouth. When oh when is the consumer going to find out bread and rolls CAN be good and tasty and with texture and DEMAND them? (On sandwiches, burgers - with meals, etc.)

Sorry - I just don't get it. Is the amazement all to do with just not using mustard and/or relish? (Actually also had one with mustard and the sauce - it was better than the one with the mayo as to me the mayo was just oil and sugar)

There's no doubt that the atmosphere of the place and the Seinfeld Soup Nazi attitude has resulted in a 'cult' - but if I had been thrown out of there without getting anything I would not have been much poorer.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1