Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas

Author
johnsuber
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 12
2006/07/13 05:23:34 (permalink)

Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas

Most any mexican food lover in the Austin area knows of Matt's El Rancho downtown near the river but has anyone been to San Miguel's? Its midway
north of downtown on West North Loop between Hancock and Burnet(pronounced
BURN IT, for non natives benefit). Its in an almost residential neighborhood in an old building that is ostensibly and may BE an old pre
Civil War hacienda amidst huge numbers of enoumous live oak trees around it. The food is great, great flavorful salsa that isn't merely incendiary red chunky sauce devoid of flavor other than capsaicin heat,black bean nachos with good blends of white cheddar and yellow and very good interior style mexican food as opposed to texmex. I had the snapper Verucruzana my first time there and was quite pleased. Tecate beer is served properly, ice COLD with a lime wedge on top.

12 Replies Related Threads

Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/07/13 06:57:58 (permalink)
    There use to be a beer by that name, I might have cosumed one or two of those and if memmory serves me correctly it wasn't that good either. I think it was a Phillipino beer. I hope Mac Arthur didn't return for that crap. Chow Jim
    johnsuber
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/07/13 11:20:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimeats

There use to be a beer by that name, I might have cosumed one or two of those and if memmory serves me correctly it wasn't that good either. I think it was a Phillipino beer. I hope Mac Arthur didn't return for that crap. Chow Jim

Fortunately that abysmal, IMO, Phillipine San Miguel extract of a dead
    horse has no connection with this fine restaurant.
    cyrano
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/07/14 22:48:51 (permalink)
    I remember it as being wonderful interior Mexican food (the Sunday brunch was justly renowned) when I lived there a decade ago, but definitely not roadfood, either in presentation or price.
    olphart
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/07/30 22:29:44 (permalink)
    I went there a few years back. My girlfriend, my mom and I came in from Houston and my sister from Dallas. We met up with my nephew, his girlfriend and son (3-year-old0 who lived in Austin. It was Mother's Day and we were having problems deciding on a good place that wasn't so crowded.

Somehow we ended up at Fonda San Miguel. It was packed, but they were able to squeeze us into a small area in the front. We all decided to do the buffet.

To say we were shocked when the bill came would be a gross understatement. They charged us $35 per person, the child included. It was our fault for not asking beforehand what the cost was. But, it would have been nice if they had mentioned it.

Needless to say, I will never go back.
    jdtime
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/07/31 21:26:13 (permalink)
    I still remember the amazing spread put before my group that had a fundraiser there. Delicious, flavorful, intense, and just plain excellent cooking all around. It was pricey when I returned on a non-fundraiser night, but memorable even 11 years later.
    HollyDolly
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1076
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/08/07 13:36:44 (permalink)
    I understand they have a cookbook of recipes out.I saw it at Borders in the Olympia Forum shopping
    Center.Never eaten there as I don't go up to Austin,but $35.00 a plate for mexican food is too much.
    There is a little local place called Garcia's in Schertz I want to try.It has very reasonable prices
    and they are also in San Marcos and a couple of other towns around here. If I were to pay $35.00 for a mexican dinner,Diana Kennedy herself better be cooking my meal.
    mr. sausage
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/12/25 23:59:48 (permalink)
    They probably shouldn't have charged full price for the kid but, c'mon... FSM is one of the most beautiful restaurants anywhere and the brunch spread they do (all you can eat) would indeed do Ms. Kennedy proud. You thought you were in and out for 10.95 per?
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5106
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/12/26 00:18:50 (permalink)
    I'm sure the food was good. But sorry, I can't think of any Mexican food (in Texas) worth $35.00 per.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/12/26 08:55:22 (permalink)

The restaurant may be just as good as the original writer proclaims. My comments are on some of the follow-up.
    1. Tecate is a border town east of Tiajuana, Baja California. It is the home of the Tecate Brewery. Tecate Beer has a rather cruddy reputation for quality (or lack of it).

2. Almost anyplace that has a Mother's Day Buffet will spike the prices for a captive, desperate, and guilt-ridden audience!! Our local Best-Western Motel complex in SoCal had a decent restaurant in it. On Mother's Day they expanded to one of the major function rooms to be able to handle the crowd, and jacked their Sunday Brunch Buffet price from the usual $12.95 to $32.95 (2000 price) for that holiday. Sons and daughters would gladly pay that ransom to take "Mom" out to get some scambled eggs and roast beef and a plastic cup of Champagne! There really is no alternative, other than actually cooking for Mom at home, and lots of people would not even consider that !
    Bulldozer Rectangle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/12/28 10:36:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

I'm sure the food was good. But sorry, I can't think of any Mexican food (in Texas) worth $35.00 per.

You may think that, but you'd be wrong. It's worth whatever they charge, which I believe is south of $35.
    writeitup
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2006/12/31 08:44:39 (permalink)

The food is exceptional and the atmosphere built by love, not by greed. They should charge molre than 35 a plate.
    Read about them here:http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/Texas/Restaurants_texas/fonda_SM.html

There's a bunch of articles and a book review.
    Bulldozer Rectangle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: Fonda San Miguel - Austin Texas 2007/01/02 13:52:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cyrano

I remember it as being wonderful interior Mexican food (the Sunday brunch was justly renowned) when I lived there a decade ago, but definitely not roadfood, either in presentation or price.

Well if NYC gets Ben Bensons and Les Halles, I vote FSM should be considered.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1