Fondue, do you?

Author
Rusty246
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2413
2003/08/13 12:14:38 (permalink)

Fondue, do you?

I used to enjoy sitting around the table with friends and having fondue. Haven't done it in years! I thought now that my kid's are getting older and I can barely keep them at the table long enough to eat, this may be something I might like to pursue again. I've done the chocolate/strawberry deal, the bread/cheese deal, and the sirloin strips in plain ol' oil. Does anyone do this anymore? Any ideas you'd like to share?

Thanks!

21 Replies Related Threads

jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1184
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/13 12:22:45 (permalink)
    Fondue?

Fondon't.

Seriously, I have had trouble seeing Fondue as a meal. An hors d'oeuvre, a snack, perhaps....

My opinion is, I'm afraid, colored by the last time I ate fondue. A year after we were married, my wife's aunt undertook to "sivilize" me, as Huck Finn would say.

Janet knew I liked food, and liked to cook, but couldn't understand my love for "Roadfood" cuisines, particularly my interest in Appalachian and Southern cuisines. She was from a rural county here in Ohio, and was not comfortable with her pedigree as "country folk." One outlet for this discomfort was her attempt to be a food snob. Hence, the fondue dinner: It would be an elegant evening, in her eyes.

I have never left the table hungrier in my life. We stopped at Frisch's for a Big Boy (me) and a hot fudge cake (my wife) on the way home.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3967
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/13 13:28:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rusty246

I used to enjoy sitting around the table with friends and having fondue. Does anyone do this anymore?

I hadn't done it in years. A month ago I decided to try it for some friends and did both the cheese fondue and a chocolate dessert fondue----got out the old pots and had some fun. While I wouldn't make a habit of it the evening was very enjoyable.

last weekend I went to an outdoor concert series I have tickets for. Everyone has their own table and at one we noticed two fondue pots going. I think it's coming back-----just another bit of nostalgia I guess.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/13 18:16:22 (permalink)
    I do fondue. I certainly shabu shabu, too.

(Japanese fondue concept with thinly-sliced meats, poultry or seafood, along with vegetables, poached in simmering broth. The broth is later enriched with extra stuff and served as a soup).

Eric
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/13 18:34:58 (permalink)
    Eric: It's not strictly a Japanese concept. The Chinese have the same thing except we call it Steamboat and at the very end, when the broth is nice and tasty from all the seafood and meat we've been dipping into it, we add in Chinese greens and noodles to end the meal
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/13 20:07:18 (permalink)
    The hot oil with meat/chicken fondue thing is called "bubble & squeak." Sounds like an old English term! Years ago (before we put away our fondue pots), we bubbled & squeaked. You make all kinds of dipping sauces & have a field day...
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13481
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/13 20:16:53 (permalink)
    Fondue was a thing in Knoxville in the mid 70's. We did it with filet and other cuts along with dessert chocolates. It sort of faded out.

We have a fondue restaurant in Knoxville as well as other cities I have been in. I recently went there, but the smell of the oil cooking was terrible and I left. I could not stand the stink.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/13 22:05:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jellybeans

Eric: It's not strictly a Japanese concept. The Chinese have the same thing except we call it Steamboat and at the very end, when the broth is nice and tasty from all the seafood and meat we've been dipping into it, we add in Chinese greens and noodles to end the meal

Another variation on this idea is the Mongolian hot pot
    Jellybeans
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/14 04:48:06 (permalink)
    Bubble and Squeak is actually also the name of a traditional English dish that is far removed from an fondue-like activities:

It's left-over boiled green veggies (brussels sprouts, broccoli and/or cabbage) mixed with flour, left-over mashed potatoes and some seasoning, formed into patties and pan-fried.

This is always served the next day with other things to make up yet another meal. Haven't tried it myself but it doesn't sound like too bad of a way to use up left-overs creatively
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/14 10:12:10 (permalink)
    Sorry about the misinformation. When we had the hot oil & meat fondue out in California on a trip years ago, that's what it was called! We always remembered it, as bubble & squeak seemed like such an odd phrase...
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/14 10:19:10 (permalink)
    The word Fondue conjures up images of the cocktail parties my parents used to have, when they had to do a lot of entertaining. My sisters and I always thought it was so glamorous and would help my mother get everything ready. We would always find a way to sneak out of our rooms and watch for a little while. Beehive hair, high heels, and shiny dresses, men in dark suits with cocktail glasses. We thought it was the living end.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/14 12:58:30 (permalink)
    I haven't tried to make fondue since the early 70's, I have a lasting memory of the cheese becoming this solid semi pliable lump. If we had microwaves in those days it might have been recoverable but any attempt to reheat just made it worse. The attached link is for a chain so there must be an interest in them still. I think now I would prefer the Asian forms, they sound interesting but I have never tried them.

http://www.meltingpot.net/Locations/Locations.asp

chilidawgguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/14 13:56:11 (permalink)
    Originally posted by Rusty246

I used to enjoy sitting around the table with friends and having fondue. Haven't done it in years! I thought now that my kid's are getting older and I can barely keep them at the table long enough to eat, this may be something I might like to pursue again. I've done the chocolate/strawberry deal, the bread/cheese deal, and the sirloin strips in plain ol' oil. Does anyone do this anymore? Any ideas you'd like to share?

Thanks![/I met my wife in Europe in the late sixties. One of the places we dated was Lucern, Switzerland. There is a restaurant there called The Old Swiss House. Housed in a Swiss chalet with the Alps in the background, it's about as romantic a location as you could ask for. It's famous for it's fondue. After marrying and moving back to the states, we've duplicated one of our favorite meals there dozens of times. Sliced tenderloin of beef, large button mushrooms, a sour cream-mayo based sauce, toast, butter, green salad, and wine. Lots of wine. As Julia Childs would say, 'Bon Apetite!'
    quote]
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/14 15:35:44 (permalink)
    One of my favorite restaurants in Manhattan (closed after many years of operation) was called La Fondue on 55th St. Their beef fondue, served with a glass of really bad sangria, a salad, 3 sauces and lots of bread was one of the cheapest steak dinners on Restaurant Row. La Bonne Soupe, right across the street, still has it on the menu.

Last winter, an icy weekend was forecasted so I invited 5 of my friends (female only) to dig out their old fondue pots and bring them along for a pajama party. We had cheese, beef strips cooked in a in beef boullion and wine mixture with lots of sauces, and chocolate fondue for dessert. It was fun for something like that but it's hard to make a meal of it without potatoes or some other side dishes.

Then we watched a video of the Top 10 I Love Lucy Episodes of all time.
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/14 16:03:46 (permalink)
    Ruby Rose - I have fond memories of LaFondue - last time I was there had to be in the early 80's before a Broadway play. Thanks for reminding me... Nancy
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2880
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/15 06:23:43 (permalink)
    I had fondue in a Swiss restaurant in London and it sure "wasn't your parents' fondue". With the right cheeses and a little Kirsch, fondue is a beautiful thing. Also had roti for the first time there. Mmmmmm. Although now when I make it, I will be unable to resist constantly saying, "That's a fon-don't!" Thanks Jmckee!
    NancyPeter
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/15 15:11:37 (permalink)
    With all of this talk, I'm rather tempted to dust off the old fondue pot & try it again too! That sterno is a pain in the neck, though...
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/16 17:39:16 (permalink)
    I saw the most clever thing recently at a luncheon buffet, NancyPeter - an electric element that is the precise size and shape of the Sterno cans used in catering. I fully intend to buy a couple the moment I track them down. I never have Sterno, or I never have a light, or I'm faced with methanol-soaked gashes in my fingers from opening the %&*(%$&) cans.

I was thinking the other day that some sort of warm booze-and-marscapone-and-cream dip might be really good with summer's ripest tree fruits and berries....or maybe use a sabayon/zabaglione as a fondue....

Eric, Wondering Where The Heck His Fondue Pot Might Be...
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/16 17:56:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

I saw the most clever thing recently at a luncheon buffet, NancyPeter - an electric element that is the precise size and shape of the Sterno cans used in catering. I fully intend to buy a couple the moment I track them down. I never have Sterno, or I never have a light, or I'm faced with methanol-soaked gashes in my fingers from opening the %&*(%$&) cans.

I was thinking the other day that some sort of warm booze-and-marscapone-and-cream dip might be really good with summer's ripest tree fruits and berries....or maybe use a sabayon/zabaglione as a fondue....

Eric, Wondering Where The Heck His Fondue Pot Might Be...

Well, if you'd stop drinking the Sterno, you might have some left to cook with! Anyways, I vote for Amaretto in that marscapone fondue. But since marscapone is already a soft cheese, aren't there problems with "meltiness" and burning?
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/18 03:46:49 (permalink)
    I suppose if one were so inclined, one might consider making a creme anglaise of some sort, then adding the booze and marscapone...and maybe a bit of nutmeg...

Who told you I drank Sterno? It was just this one time in college, right before my student loan check came...

Eric
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/18 06:24:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

I suppose if one were so inclined, one might consider making a creme anglaise of some sort, then adding the booze and marscapone...and maybe a bit of nutmeg...

Who told you I drank Sterno? It was just this one time in college, right before my student loan check came...

Eric

I could smell it on your breath.

Creme anglaise, marscapone, nutmeg...maybe Frangelico would be more in order. With raspberries. They would not only be delicious, but they tend to fall off the fork, inviting many kisses. Mmm, raspberry kisses...
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: Fondue, do you? 2003/08/20 18:08:06 (permalink)
    Rusty 246 what a food memory you stirred up for me. In the early 1970's I was doing my basic training in Fort Dix, NJ. I had a long weekend pass after basic and my girlfriend Dorothy and I went to Pennsylvania Dutch Country for some fun. We stayed at a Howard Johnsons and at two o'clock in the morning due to a strong hunger left our room for the restaurant. Dorothy was wearing an off white trench coat sans clothing underneath. We sat at a booth and ordered Welsh Rarebit. Was it the setting, was it Dorothy, was it the fondue or all three. The fondue was so good; the best I ever had. Dorothy if you are out there call me. I miss you.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1