The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Food Industry sites?

GoFish_94

• Total Posts: 2
Food Industry sites? Thu, 04/19/12 6:00 AM (permalink)
Does anybody know of any good sites for connecting with people in the food industry? Local would be great (MA based), but national is fine. In the UK, I belong to a site called FoodBritain .com (can't post a direct link because I'm new, but check it out if you feel like it.) It's a local site for my area of the UK where people in and out of the food industry can connect about British food. It'd be great if there were some sort of website like that for networking with American food. 

And no comments about British food being crappy; they have some really awesome food here, especially in pubs. :)

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
    Re:Food Industry sites? Thu, 04/19/12 6:32 AM (permalink)
    Welcome aboard. I think this post would have been better placed in the foodservice/professional's forum. Some users select only a very narrow selection of forums for their viewing.
    I don't think that had you posted in the professional's forum that anyone there would have any preconceived notions of poor food. If anything, there probably would be some interest in the selection of fast foods available there. Donner preparation and Kabob shops would be a great topic to those exploring foods that are relatively unknown in the states for the mobile/food truck/concessioneers that are active on the forum. My personal interest would be the very small 10-20L countertop pressure fryers that are manufactured only in the UK. Attempts to correspond with anyone on that side of the pond or down in OZ where they are sold and used has been futile. I've been also experimenting with some of the mid eastern sauce recipes that I've found in the UK Takeaway Secrets publication. Some very interesting ideas and fertile ground for concessioneers and totally different recipes for foods of the same brand or origin served in the states.

RodBangkok

• Total Posts: 385
      Re:Food Industry sites? Thu, 04/19/12 8:20 AM (permalink)
      DawnT

My personal interest would be the very small 10-20L countertop pressure fryers that are manufactured only in the UK. Attempts to correspond with anyone on that side of the pond or down in OZ where they are sold and used has been futile. 

The main reason for this quite frankly is the amount of frivolous litigation in the states.  Anyone selling a pressure fryer that has not been completely idiot proofed, such as Henny Penny or Broaster, would not even think about selling into the states.  My suggestion to you is find someone trustworthy in the UK to get one for you and have them ship it  personally to you.  There is nothing wrong with this type units, its the people that can't use them that restricts their purchase.  BTW, the ones on the UK sites are modified Fagor units, so if you google Fagor pressure fryer you will basically have the same unit, it just needs some temp control, and of coarse the Fagors have no bottom drains.  The easiest way to temp control a commercial Fagor is to use a very good high power electric hot plate, and then play with boosting the thermostat on it just before dropping the product.  Then reduce again, this helps keeping the initial temp drop lower.  Make sure your coated product is at room temp on entry into the fryer also helps keep the temp drop down, and allows your coating to turn into a batter, this is the Broaster method if I remember correctly. 
      Way off topic and sorry to the OP, but had the time and thought it might be helpful info.

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
        Re:Food Industry sites? Thu, 04/19/12 9:06 AM (permalink)
        Welcome Go FIsh!

I would feel bad about sending you to another forum when we do have one here...on Roadfood. If you post things about food....maybe we can start a trend...and take a break from build a truck talk.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
          • No New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
          • Locked w/ New Messages
          • Locked w/o New Messages
          • Read Message
          • Post New Thread
          • Reply to message
          • Post New Poll
          • Submit Vote
          • Post reward post
          • Delete my own posts
          • Delete my own threads
          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com