Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/06 22:31:09 (permalink)
Wow, a 3zip knockout for Charlies over Jimmy Buffs.
So John, after all the drama, give us the inside story.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2334
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/07 06:38:42 (permalink)
Jimmy Buff's, Charlies, and Tommy's are the 3 best places to get an Italian Hot Dog. Out of these 3 my preference is for Jimmy Buff's for several reasons. One, their bread is superior. One of the judges, Pete Genovese, alluded to this. I also like the fact that Buff's sautees, rather than deep fries their dogs. All use the same brand, but Buff's franks are juicier and have more flavor while Charlies has more crunch from deep frying. The judges stated afterwards that they liked the crunchier dog from Charlies. Not me. And Charlies does not use natural casing dogs as stated in the program. I had someone pick up an Italian Hot Dog for me 2 days ago after hearing the owner state that they use a natural casing dog on a preview clip from Food Wars Facebook page. Charlies always used skinless dogs. The dogs were skinless. People may think they have a casing due to them being deep fried and having a more crunchy exterior than Buff's. Or maybe Charlies used natural casing dogs for the tasting.

Buff's is also more consistent. You will always get a great dog there. Not so at Charlies. And I've eaten many dogs from them as my daughter worked there. Occasionally you will get burned potatoes or undercooked ones. Sometimes the bread is not fresh.

When both are at their best, you are in for a treat. People have different tastes. Some like crunchier dogs; some like softer, juicier ones. Dickie Dees has hard peppers and potatoes cut in chunks. Some prefer that. I'd say try both and decide for yourself. Buff's has the best bread, and I love the texture and flavor of the hot dogs. The potatoes and peppers are cut the way I like, and I like the fact that they are cooked in the same oil at the same time so that all the flavors blend together.

One other thing. Two of the judges never had an Italian Hot Dog before so they really did not know what to expect or look for. And as I stated afterwards, they focused more on the texture of the hot dog rather than the sandwich as a whole.
rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/08 12:30:26 (permalink)
Any idea why they've changed the judging from 3 impartial and one super fan from each place?

I've noticed that being the case on the last couple of episodes I've seen, including the Jimmy Buff's vs Charlie's.....

I don't like the 3 judge format at all.....it isn't even a blind tasting........
Stephen Rushmore Jr.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 2125
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/08 15:29:33 (permalink)
Of all the Roadfood-type shows, this one bothers me the most.  I can't stand the thought that their is a loser.  Determining the better restaurant is a very personal decision, and all of the places on the show are institutions that have been around for a long time, so in my opinion that makes them both very successful winners.  I realize people like competitions and controversy, but I will continue to appreciate Roadfood restaurants for what they are and I really don't care about what three people think is marginally better.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6264
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/08 16:09:28 (permalink)
Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Of all the Roadfood-type shows, this one bothers me the most.  I can't stand the thought that their is a loser.  Determining the better restaurant is a very personal decision, and all of the places on the show are institutions that have been around for a long time, so in my opinion that makes them both very successful winners.  I realize people like competitions and controversy, but I will continue to appreciate Roadfood restaurants for what they are and I really don't care about what three people think is marginally better.

Totally agree, Stephen...controversy makes good programing, but in this case not honest evaluation...a fair analysis would have to be a blind taste test..even Bobby Flay's Throw Down show isn't a blind test...knowing where the food came from can well sway a vote...these shows are JUST entertainment(at best) not accurate analysis.
sk bob
  • Total Posts : 1801
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/09 22:48:55 (permalink)
with all that stuff on there + the giant bun, you only put 1 dog in there? why bother?
put in 3 dogs now you're talking
1 dog with all that filler is not even a tease.
DPuro329
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 406
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/10 02:44:25 (permalink)
It was a nice episode, although I did feel bad for Jimmy Buff's. Has anyone been there since the show aired? Does the line stretch down to Best buy? I look at all of these shows as entertainment and make a mental list of places I'd love to eat at. Has anyone seen the previews for the Food Network's Food War's ripoff show? It looks exactly the same and I'll probably watch it although I'd rather share a meal with Camille Ford as opposed to Michaerl Symon.

Dave
David_NYC
  • Total Posts : 2164
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/10 11:32:38 (permalink)
DPuro329

.........Has anyone been there since the show aired? Does the line stretch down to Best buy?...........

Your question would make for an interesting topic on the Restaurant  Professionals Forum. Does it make business sense for a Roadfood place to be featured on one of these low-brow pure entertainment shows?

It is a little like those college professors who having been making the case for years  that cities that fund stadiums for professional sports teams don't reap the returns they expected.

These types of programs must be really cheap to produce. No need for a set. What I don't know is if any money changes hands, either the production company reimbursing the restaurant for actual expenses incurred, or if the restaurant has to pay to get exposure on the air.

But how much additional tourist trade can be attributed to exposure on these shows? Then for the incremental tourist trade there is the question of fairness. If tourists make their decision on where to eat based on the "judging" by persons of dubious qualifications, how do the mom-and-pop owners feel about this?

rebeltruce
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 702
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/11 07:37:52 (permalink)
DPuro329

It was a nice episode, although I did feel bad for Jimmy Buff's. Has anyone been there since the show aired? Does the line stretch down to Best buy? I look at all of these shows as entertainment and make a mental list of places I'd love to eat at. Has anyone seen the previews for the Food Network's Food War's ripoff show? It looks exactly the same and I'll probably watch it although I'd rather share a meal with Camille Ford as opposed to Michaerl Symon.

Dave

I can't believe Michael Symon is doing this....."Food Feud"....give me a break.

I have the utmost respect for Michael Symon....but when I saw the ad for the new show I lost just a little of that respect.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 652
Re:Food Wars: Jimmy Buff's vs. Dickie Dees 2010/10/15 10:20:09 (permalink)
Finally watched the episode on DVR.  The new format (non-blind tasting and only 3 judges) fails IMHO.  Even though when they had the blind tasing and super fans and you could still tell which item was which if you had eaten both before, I still think it was more fair than the current format.

I've seen the Po'Boy show,  the Chicago pizza show and the cheesesteak show as I've been to both places in all three instances, but I doubt I'll be watching this program anymore.  The hostess is a bit too annoying for my taste and as others have posted, If I want to know who is better, I'll have both and decide for myself.

If I'm in/near Newark, I'm definitley trying Jimmy Buff's.  If it works out, I'll hit Charlie's, but Jimmy Buff's will be a sure thing.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1