Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
lreiss
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
2004/01/23 18:42:44 (permalink)

Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana

We've been to Lafayette, LA and the surrounding areas a number of times and have eaten in many wonderful places. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend out-of-the-way or unusual eating experiences in that area that we could try when we go in April. We've been around the block, and have followed religiously "The Cajun Country Guide" by Fry & Posner, but hope we can get some new recommendations.

41 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/23 19:44:31 (permalink)
    It's more soul-food than Cajun, but Brenda's Diner in Lafayette was one of the great eating experiences we've had recently. For instance, her fried chicken (with rice & gravy in the background):

Gypsy Bob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/23 21:21:07 (permalink)
    Many years ago, on our first visit down there, we had a good Cajun supper at Randol's Cajun Restaurant. I can't recall any details, except that it was good!

Or, drop down to Abbeville and take in Black's Oyster Bar, where you can get the specialty raw or steamed; outstanding! Be sure to SHARE a bread pudding! They have other seafood, and the restored building is fascinating.

Or, go up to Basile, a little town just off US 190, and take in D.I.'s Cajun Restaurant. It's open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday, with music on the weekends. Altho remote, it's very popular with local folks and therefore delightfully crowded.

Or, check out Enola Prudhomme's in Carenco, just off I-49, where they have gourmet Cajun dishes, if that's not an oxymoron! Anyway, it's a fascinating place in a beautiful old house.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/24 04:09:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Gypsy Bob

Many years ago, on our first visit down there, we had a good Cajun supper at Randol's Cajun Restaurant. I can't recall any details, except that it was good!

Or, drop down to Abbeville and take in Black's Oyster Bar, where you can get the specialty raw or steamed; outstanding! Be sure to SHARE a bread pudding! They have other seafood, and the restored building is fascinating.

Or, go up to Basile, a little town just off US 190, and take in D.I.'s Cajun Restaurant. It's open for dinner Tuesday through Saturday, with music on the weekends. Altho remote, it's very popular with local folks and therefore delightfully crowded.

Or, check out Enola Prudhomme's in Carenco, just off I-49, where they have gourmet Cajun dishes, if that's not an oxymoron! Anyway, it's a fascinating place in a beautiful old house.

I second the motion on D.I.'s: a wonderful, real-Cajun eating experience with live music most nights. Here's the crawfish sampler plate (with a baked sweet potato):

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/26 08:36:08 (permalink)
    "Joe's at Dreyfus Store" just south of Livonia is some of the best eating in Louisiana. And here is another vote for Enola Prudhomme's. But then, I think that we found both of them (and many other restaurant, entertainment and "cultural" activities) courtesy of "The Cajun Country Guide". What an absolutely fantastic book!
    drchanterelle
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 95
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 05:30:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    I second the motion on D.I.'s: a wonderful, real-Cajun eating experience with live music most nights. Here's the crawfish sampler plate (with a baked sweet potato):

Although that plate looks fantastic, why do seemingly good places insist on wrapping potatos in aluminum foil? A good potato deserves to be in direct contact with the heat of the oven. When wrapped, it's not a baked potato, but a steamed potato! I've never understood why this is done. Surely, any cost savings in a shorter time in the oven is offset by the cost of the foil. Do some really consider this a better way to bake potatos? jm
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 06:55:22 (permalink)
    I cannot speak for others but the reason I cover my potatoes with aluminum foil is to keep butter, oil, onions, garlic and spices intact. If I do not do that, the mess runs off the potato and gets all over the oven and the SO gets all bent out of shape.

It may not be baked and it may be steamed but it is real good.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 08:19:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lreiss

We've been to Lafayette, LA and the surrounding areas a number of times and have eaten in many wonderful places. I'm wondering if anyone can recommend out-of-the-way or unusual eating experiences in that area that we could try when we go in April. We've been around the block, and have followed religiously "The Cajun Country Guide" by Fry & Posner, but hope we can get some new recommendations.

Ireiss--got to be honest here---when it comes to finding really off the beaten path cajun treasures,there is only one man to ask---Mayhaw Man--unfortunately for all of us roadfood folks, he is rarely seen around here since he took up his position at e-gullet.com. I know if I were going to LA he would be the man i go to. I almost feel like a traitor sending someone anywhere other then here for reccomendations but lets face it---He's the MAN for Louisianna food! Tell him he is missed around here!
    lreiss
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 08:24:15 (permalink)
    How do you reach this guru of gumbo?
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 09:11:08 (permalink)
    go to egullet.com He is the moderator of the Lousiana forum
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 11:12:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lreiss

How do you reach this guru of gumbo?

Great as he is, he still won't do you any better than "The Cajun Country Guide". He can supplement it, but I have never seen him contradict any of their suggestions.

That being said, I miss him on this board, too. His new home is just a little too epicurean (and often pretentious) for my tastes. I am a hillbilly-cajun-cowboy-blue collar (and yes, redneck) at heart.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 11:50:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by drchanterelle

quote:

Although that plate looks fantastic, why do seemingly good places insist on wrapping potatos in aluminum foil? A good potato deserves to be in direct contact with the heat of the oven. When wrapped, it's not a baked potato, but a steamed potato! I've never understood why this is done. Surely, any cost savings in a shorter time in the oven is offset by the cost of the foil. Do some really consider this a better way to bake potatos? jm

I have to agree here, I prefer my baked potatoes so they have that crispness to the skin. I baked(steamed) in foil for years until I was at McAlister's Deli here. While waiting in line I was reading signs around the building. One in which states they only bake their potatoes naked. I've been doing mine that way ever since. I do like the idea of the added seasonings to the foil though. And although stones may be thrown when I mention Red Lobster, I do like their "sea spray" baked potatoes. I've tried to master that technique, but didn't and gave up. I rolled in butter then kosher salt to find the salt and butter melt together to make salty butter. I wonder if they baked them plain, cut the foil open, give a dose of butter "spray", then sprinkle the coarse or kosher salt so the salt will stick. Haven't tried that. I also like a potato wrapped in foil and put into a HOT bed of coals. SOrry for rambling, I'm hungry.
    wkk5dl
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 12:50:59 (permalink)
    The best seafood gumbo I've ever tasted (and I've sampled many!) is at Robin's (pronounced "roh' bans)in Henderson, LA, just a few miles west of Lafayette near the Henderson exit at I-10. Take the highway just south of the eastbound lanes about 2 miles. It'll be on your left. They have fine creole food, reasonably priced. Not cheap, but reasonable.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 13:07:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wkk5dl

The best seafood gumbo I've ever tasted (and I've sampled many!) is at Robin's (pronounced "roh' bans)in Henderson, LA, just a few miles west of Lafayette near the Henderson exit at I-10. Take the highway just south of the eastbound lanes about 2 miles. It'll be on your left. They have fine creole food, reasonably priced. Not cheap, but reasonable.

And their pies are worth the trip.

Another good place nearby (especially for seafood) is "Pat's" on the river.
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/01/27 13:26:59 (permalink)
    It's been a few years but if you get to Houma , Bob's Cafe right in town should'nt be missed. Hope it is still open, menu of the day was written on a chalkboard on the wall. Great flavor and Gracious people.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/02/01 14:32:41 (permalink)
    Aside from Macon's excellent book, you may find [url]www.sallys-place.com/food/dining_directory/north_america/acadiana.htm[/url] this a useful listing.

My current favorite (outside of Joe's Dreyfuss Store in Livonia which I still believe is some of the best eating on the planet) is Camille's Cajun Cafe in Erwinville (just down the road from Joe's). As the proprietor Camille puts it, "I have to be great. This is the same stuff that these people eat at home and the only reason they are here is because it is convenient. Otherwise they would be eating at home". The place is really good. Go there hungry because the portions are rediculous.

Thanks for the kind words Tiki and everybody else.

I recieved an email form the person that started this thread (or I think she was anyway) and I have been working on a full response for a day or two. Hopefully you will get it Monday or Tuesday.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/02/01 14:49:48 (permalink)
    One more thing. If anyone is bored and can get there in a car today by gametime-Breaux Bridge is THE SPOT to watch the game. Homeboy Jake Delhomme will be featured in every bar and restaurant with a TV and I promise if you have never understood what "passing a good time" is all about you can find out all you ever wanted to know about that terminology today.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/02/01 15:09:54 (permalink)
    Mr. Mayhaw Man. Good to see you on the board again. Missed your post and humor.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/02/02 22:30:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Mr. Mayhaw Man. Good to see you on the board again. Missed your post and humor.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Dearfolk,
    Seconded! Emphatically!!
    Honestly, Ort. Carlton in Too-Chilly Athens, Georgia.
    Tristan Indiana
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2004/02/16 19:32:15 (permalink)
    Somewhere between Avery Island and Lafayette,LA I found a small roadhouse off the beaten path. I had some fantastic aligater - its specialty- and alcohol soaked bread pudding - great stuff. The ceiling had something - ball caps I think hanging from it. I know this isn't much to go on but if anyone knows the name of this place I sure would like to find it again.
    sugarlander
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 254
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/02/17 11:22:14 (permalink)
    A group of our friends just went to D.I.'s two weeks ago and were very disappointed in the food that time. I'd previously only heard good things about it.
    Skylar
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/02/17 11:59:35 (permalink)
    "Joe's at Dreyfus Store just south of Livonia is some of the best eating in Louisiana." is the very best and shouldn't be missed. Enola Prudhomme's is highly overated.
    arianej
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/02/17 12:13:26 (permalink)
    We were just in that area this past Christmas, and had a blast. I don't know if these are new to you, but here's a few places we liked:

Abbeville, LA: There's not much to Abbeville, but you have your pick of at least three oyster bars--Black's, Dupuy's and Shucks! We tried Shucks! and it was great...big, fat oysters, and excellent fried shrimp, coke in glass bottles to wash it down.

Breaux Bridge, LA: Cafe des Amis did a good brunch, I really liked their crawfish etouffee with biscuits, eggs and andouille grits. They've also got beignets and oreilles de cochon on the menu, and the beignet portion was big enough for 3-4 people to share.

Eunice, LA: We mainly stopped here to stretch our legs and pick up some boudin from Johnson's grocery. Boudin runs about $2.50/lb, and it was very good. The guys behind the meat counters were real charactes. ;) They gave us free samples when they heard we'd never had boudin before. Oh, and don't miss the boudin balls, they're great (and greasy) roadfood.

Ariane
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/03/22 18:17:21 (permalink)
    We had another fantastic meal at "Joe's Dreyfus Store" earlier this month. Second only to "Uglesich's" (where we plan to eat Friday for one last time since it will probably be closed before we make it back to the big easy).

We have been in Monroe for nearly 3 weeks and have enjoyed "Mohawk Tavern", "Danken Trail BBQ", "Johnny's Pizza" and "Geno's" as suggested by you guys in various Louisiana forums.

BUT--we found a real gem in Monroe after reading a review in the local newspaper. After our first visit to "Freddie Cascio's", we couldn't resist going back there to try more of their great Cajun-Italian menu any time we were eating anywhere except the kitchen at the Residence Inn.

On our first visit, we followed the reviewers featured dishes of Catfish Rosie (Shrimp, crawfish tails, mushrooms, green onions in a Bechamel sauce over a flaky fried catfish filet) and the combination order of manicotti and cannelloni, with excellent oysters Rockefeller as appetizer. Among the best we've had.

Another evening we went for a muffaletta. Not quite up to Central Grocery, but still very good, and the menu says that the olive salad on the muff is "straight from New Orleans Central Grocery". The gumbo appetizer was also great.

Yet another visit had us enjoying an oyster po boy and a shrimp po-boy. They were right up there with the ones from "Po Boy Lloyds" and "Pastime" in Baton Rouge and "Acme Oyster Bar" in the French Quarter. The remoulade sauce (by request) really made the shrimp po boy special. The homemade cheese sticks appetizer proved that Freddie knows how to work with provolone.

And for today's lunch we split an order of "Crawfish Enchiladas" (2 to an order).This was probably the best meal we had here. The enchilada cheese sauce laced with jalapeno peppers was sneaky hot, but delicious.

And did I mention that they have spumoni, canoli and cheesecake? As a matter of fact, the menu features 8 Italian Spago dishes, 11 other Italian specialties, 12 seafood specialties, 9 different po-boys, the muffaletta, red beans & rice, appetizers, salads and gumbo. I didn't try one, but signs in the window brag that their char-grilled burgers were voted "Best in Town".

Also, this is a TRUE Roadfood location, attached to a Citgo station. Newspaper clippings on the wall go back to 1991.

It is hard to find. The address is 305 Finks Hideaway, and is on the northwest corner of Finks Hideaway and Old Sterlington Road. You take exit 118 off I-20 and follow highway 165 north 4.9 miles and turn right onto Finks Hideaway.

I promise you it is worth the effort if you are ever traveling along I-20 and want something other than the jungle of fast food joints.

EDITED JUST TO GET THE ATTENTION OF ANOTHER POSTER WHO ASKED ABOUT MONROE!

robicheaux
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/05/18 12:17:49 (permalink)
    I live in Breaux Bridge LA home of the Crawfish Festival(2 weeks ago). If you ever need a guide or directions just email me.

New Iberia-must see is Avery Island & Tabasco Factory
    eating I suggest either Victors Cafeteria9As mentioned in local writer James Lee Burkes books)05 Clementines, both on Mail

Abbeville-either Blacks(Oysters etc) or Dupries(Seafood on the water), but Duprees is only open after 5 pm

Lafayette
    LaFonda-Mexican Food(been there 50 years)
    Alesis-Italian & best Pizzas
    Dwyers-best breakfast

Henderson-Robis has THE BEST Gumbo & Cajun food

Breaux Bridge-Cafe Des Amis-great Zydeco breakfast on Sat. morning & dinner servers the best Seafood in town
    robicheaux
    Hamburger
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/05/18 12:20:38 (permalink)
    Forget Pats in Henderson Robi's is the very best!
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/05/18 13:33:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by robicheaux

I live in Breaux Bridge LA home of the Crawfish Festival(2 weeks ago). If you ever need a guide or directions just email me.

New Iberia-must see is Avery Island & Tabasco Factory
    eating I suggest either Victors Cafeteria9As mentioned in local writer James Lee Burkes books)05 Clementines, both on Mail

Abbeville-either Blacks(Oysters etc) or Dupries(Seafood on the water), but Duprees is only open after 5 pm

We went to the Friday evening session of the Crawfish Festival, mainly to follow an old favorite, Steve Riley & the Mammou Playboys. I hadn't seen Steve's show in a couple of years, and I love his "new" sound. His slight departure from traditional Cajun sound can give him a more mainstream audience, and in turn he can introduce more to Cajun music. We were disappointed at the food offerings at the festival.

I agree with your recommendations for "must see" and "must eat" places in this part of the country, and would add the Egret rookery near the Tabsasco plant

My favorites are "Black's" and "Pat's" (Pat's because of the location and the feel of eating on the river) but do like the pies at "Robin's".

We also had a great meal at "Prejeans" (what HUGE portions), and were surprised to be able to buy "Mello-Joy" coffee at the register for $5.50 per pound.
    robicheaux
    Hamburger
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/05/18 13:39:20 (permalink)
    prejans way to commercial for me

my friend stan broussard plays with steve riley now
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/05/19 05:46:33 (permalink)
    I don't believe Enola's is open any more, at least not at the location near I-49. But south Louisiana has got to be obne of the best roadfood destinations!
    kittyfood
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Food in Cajun Country, Louisiana 2005/05/19 11:18:25 (permalink)
    You're right, Enola's has been closed for at least two years, due, I believe, to her declining health and advancing age.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1