Food truck electrical

Author
Senor Steve
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
2013/03/10 18:09:20 (permalink)

Food truck electrical

I'm new here and I am in the process of building my food truck.  A lot of the food trucks/trailers I have seen have the electrical on the outside of the walls.  My HD does not allow that, they want all electrical ran behind the walls/ceiling.  Has anybody done this and how did you run the conduit between/thru the vertical wall beams?

Thanks,

Steve

7 Replies Related Threads

a.mckenna
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Food truck electrical 2013/03/10 19:30:09 (permalink)
    Pretty easily. Just like running electric in a house. Run it in standard Romex, drill holes in studs as needed. A couple small holes won't really hurt anything structurally. Just make sure to note where the wire passes through so when you mount wall paneling you don't screw into any electric lines.

Stub out said lines where you plan on putting a electric box, once walls are up you can either install a shall "remodel" J box (blue plastic electric box with little wings), or a surface mounted electric box and pop the wire through the rear.
    Senor Steve
    Junior Burger
    Re:Food truck electrical 2013/03/10 20:17:04 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply!  I was thinking exactly what you said and I needed some confirmation.
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Food truck electrical 2013/03/10 21:05:03 (permalink)
    That sounds odd, so I think it is just an 'Inspector want'.  Surface mounted electrical & conduit certainly meets codes even in a kitchens.  But, your HD may have that requirement in their Local code (???).    ... You could ask the Inspector for the Code section or to show it to you.

If you can use romex in the wall, then you should save a little money by not having to install conduit.   Just make sure where the wiring pass through a metal hole the insulation is protect from being cut on the sharp edge.   
    Senor Steve
    Junior Burger
    Re:Food truck electrical 2013/03/11 16:49:41 (permalink)
    This is the code the HD referred me to.  The inspector said I would better off running the conduit behind the walls for easier cleaning.  From my understanding the county I live in is one of the strictest around!!  

410 IAC 7-24-403 Cleanability of floors, walls, and ceilings relative to utility lines
    Sec. 403. (a) Utility service lines and pipes may not be unnecessarily exposed.
    (b) Exposed utility service lines and pipes shall be installed so they do not obstruct or prevent cleaning of the floors, walls, or ceilings.
    (c) Exposed horizontal utility service lines and pipes may not be installed on the floor.
    (d) For purposes of this section, a violation of subsection (a), (b), or (c) is a noncritical item. 

chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 2018
    Re:Food truck electrical 2013/03/11 17:40:29 (permalink)
    It was manditory here for everything to be exposed, I wanted it all in the walls.
    I would run your wires in flex, no bare romex in the walls, too much vibration and could lead to chaffing of your wires, then your screwed.
    a.mckenna
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 53
    Re:Food truck electrical 2013/03/11 18:15:10 (permalink)
    Technically you are not suppose to run MC in wall, insulation blah blah overheating wire code blah.

However, they do make rubber grommets for Romex to be used when running through aluminum walls. The grommets shield the romex from being chaffed and possibly severing a line.

In reality the overheat idea is friggin silly due to MC cable itself not having any additional insulation. Add to that, in the case of food carts, especially with in wall wiring, nobody is ever gonna see it. So do it whichever way is easiest for you.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2107
    Re:Food truck electrical 2013/03/11 21:36:57 (permalink)
    Senor Steve

(b) Exposed utility service lines and pipes shall be installed so they do not obstruct or prevent cleaning of the floors, walls, or ceilings.

(d) For purposes of this section, a violation of subsection (a), (b), or (c) is a noncritical item. 

As I though.   ... What that really is saying, if you surface mount the conduit it needs to be water tight so the wall area can be cleaned and water, dirt & grease will not buildup inside of the conduit.   ... Use pvc conduit with glued joints or metal conduit with screwed joints.   Slip joints are not water tight and dress-up surface covers are not water tight.   ... Now you could wash down a wall without worry of getting water into the wiring.  
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1