Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"?

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/19 19:57:34 (permalink)
I don't think you have to become a Mormon...unless you want to become a Mormon. There are rules...I think. Lol

Where is the Tuesday spot?

I really think you are gonna do great! You may start with Tuesday...and being out there...bang bang bang.
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/04/19 20:01:39
Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 177
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/20 00:09:29 (permalink)
Thanks Chef: Your words are encouraging. I'll try my best to tell everyone I can.
Thanks CC: That tuesday spot is at a big office complex, but only 2 hours limit under current ordinance(that should be changing soon!) So, hopefully I'll get a fat lunch rush everytime.
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/20 00:27:00 (permalink)
The positive part of that is you get to just work your day without ohhh tomorrow and the next day. There might be things you want or need to tweak...because things are always fluid.

Once the rubber hits the road you have connections. Customers... they will want to follow you. They can be the biggest asset to develop the other days.

The good news is that there are food trucks in the area. So...people know the drill.

Try to get to know those other trucks in the most united manner. They may have a lead on a spot or spots that they do not need...and you might want.
Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/20 00:47:32 (permalink)
"The good news is that there are food trucks in the area. So...people know the drill."

Well, not really. There really aren't too many trucks here. That's why I'm getting into it. I see a market that hasn't been proliferated yet and has demand.  

"Try to get to know those other trucks in the most united manner. They may have a lead on a spot or spots that they do not need...and you might want."

Yeah, I've trying my best to make friends with other truck operators. Honestly Mofood is the only other truck operator that'll really talk to me in SLC (and he's at the same step as me, not open). I did have one truck operator that was helpful but went out of business, so I feel like I don't want to bother anymore. Most of the other few trucks here seem to be really standoffish when asked questions. It's a shame because I'll be sharing the same commissary with most of the local trucks, and they know it.

I'd like to build a food truck court here when this ordinance passes in SLC. But I don't feel like I have any that would really be interested. Maybe a few more will pop up soon and we can build a "culture" here? I think it'd be a big hit. I've been scoping parking lots here that would work great.
daddywoofdawg
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 299
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/20 05:26:58 (permalink)
Go to the local ACE hardware,grocery store,etc,talk to the owner manager tell them how THEY can benefit from you parking there,bringing the lunch crowd into the parking lot.and how they might as well go into there business.Talk to the construction companies about parking there during lunch for there employees.Make it a benefit for them to have you.A free lunch,big deal.Make me more money,let's talk!
post edited by daddywoofdawg - 2012/04/20 06:00:05
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/20 09:52:10 (permalink)
Here's a story and a possible contact that might be excited to hear a Peruvian food truck is opening...

http://www.downtownslc.or...-new-life-sl-trib-0221

Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/20 10:58:11 (permalink)
Wow, nice find CC. I will be talking to them. Thanks!
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/20 15:24:06 (permalink)
I hope everything works out...

Lunch at Como Lomo! What am I gonna have? Everything looks so good! Lol
Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/21 00:12:25 (permalink)
Thanks CC, I owe you one. The consul called me back. He was enthusiastic about the food and concept. Unfortunately, there really is no parking lot, which I need. There is on-street parking, but I have to wait for this anticipated ordinance change to come through and then I can bag a meter in front. He was telling me the days they have about a million peruvians walking through there and wants me there for it. He thinks I'll do well.  He also told me about a meeting they're having tuesday with all the peruvian restaurant owners in utah and wants me to come.

So, cross your fingers for this ordinance change! Hopefully it will be done May 1st. I really need it!
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/21 00:52:11 (permalink)
OMG be there with your brightest smile and bells on!

Shake everyone's hand and be the friendliest guy in the house. But be humble above all else be humble. I assume your wife is going along? She can be a big help.
Good luck
jack
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/21 01:05:26 (permalink)
Congratulations!!! Jackpot!

You will be the reason for the ordinance to pass. Meet with the board and/or attend the meeting (if it is open). Contact the same media that ran the building story and any other media that will want to run the very very positive story...before the vote. Hit the ground running.

Then you will have 4 days...with at least 3 having the potential to be the perfect customer base.

You can do it!!! I know you can!!
post edited by CCinNJ - 2012/04/21 01:07:40
Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/21 01:31:57 (permalink)
Oh, what I meant by "they're having a meeting tuesday", I was referring to the consulate, not the city council meeting. I think the city council meeting on may 1st is public too, but I need to find info on it.
I have talked with that downtownslc organization before. They gave me a good lead on a contact in SLC.

I'll bring my wife to that consulate meeting , I'm assuming I need to. Mi espanol esta muy mal. Although, I can understand peruvians very well when they talk. Solo yo hablo como mierda! 
CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/21 11:06:32 (permalink)
Consul Urtilla is an impressive leader in the community...a business owner that really got it done...and he is young ( my age so young it will be).

http://www.wtcut.com/2009...norary-consul-to-peru/

"and bring awareness to the cultures, cuisines, traditions, tourism and lifestyles of the people and communities he represents"

"Through this, he has developed great relationships with several key decision makers, governmental officials and business owners."
Buck & Vi's
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/22 09:12:01 (permalink)
yea but bubba you are intimidating as hell with mocha beside ya..who could say no to that ...............
Elbow Licker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/30 02:58:20 (permalink)
Have you tried using Twitter to generate customers and give out your schedule and places. oh...and menu for the day.
Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/04/30 11:28:25 (permalink)
Yeah, I'm on twitter @comolomo. That's kind of an odd first post. : /
IndySpice
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/07/25 22:44:29 (permalink)
Hi Vic, my name is Dominic, I live in Sandy and am also jumping into the mobile game. I've only JUST started, so am even more inexperienced than you, but I also intend to "network" with other vendors in the area, in hopes of eventually creating a solid coalition amongst SLC vendors. I like to do my homework, so I'm not jumping in blindly, and want to do this the smartest way I can.

I grew up working in restaurants, here and in Los Angeles (my dad owned his own, I had no choice ;)) so I do have some practical experience and a realistic approach. I'm also an avid cook, and we are looking to bring our enthinc food to the streets of SLC as you are with yours (no worries, we're doing something very different than Peruvian).

I'm new to this site so can't pm yet, but you can contact me through pm if you'd like to get together, see if we can help each other out in any way.

In either case, big thanks for sharing your story here so the rest of us can learn (and celebrate, and commiserate). Congrats on your progress, your grand opening and wishing you continued success.

Vic Cardenas
Cheeseburger
Re:Food truckers and trailer (ers?): How much are you paying for a "spot"? 2012/07/26 13:03:20 (permalink)
Hi, Dominic. Message me through facebook - ComoLomoPeruvianFoodTruck . The way I see it, there's one very serious problem with doing a food truck here in SLC that I'm experiencing first hand. If you want to talk about it, message me there. I don't come on here all that often, it's easier there. Good luck! What kind of food are you doing? Indian?
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1