The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Food trucks' popularity still climbing

Dr of BBQ

• Total Posts: 3716
  • Roadfood Insider
Food trucks' popularity still climbing Fri, 09/9/11 8:22 AM (permalink)
Food trucks' popularity still climbing NRA: Mobile eateries present opportunities for brick-and-mortar restaurants, too
September 8, 2011 | By Ron RugglessRelated

Food trucks continue their momentum, according to a new National Restaurant Association survey that indicates that 59 percent of consumers would likely visit one if their favorite restaurant offered it.
That figure was up from 47 percent a year ago.

“Our research shows that in just one year, the number of consumers who say they would be likely to visit a food truck has increased significantly,” Hudson Riehle, senior vice president of the NRA’s research and knowledge group, said.

RELATEDTechnomic: Open road for food trucks

The NRA survey, which was conducted from Aug. 25-27 among 1,004 American adults, also found that:
• Nearly one-fifth (18 percent) saw a food truck in their community this past summer.
• More than one-quarter (28 percent) of those who saw a food truck this summer made a mobile foodservice purchase.
• Regional awareness varied. Consumers living in the West (29 percent) and Northeast (24 percent) were much more likely than those in the South (15 percent) and the Midwest (9 percent) to have seen a food truck in their community this past summer.

“Convenience is a major driver in restaurant growth, and food trucks are certainly a convenient option by essentially bringing the restaurant to the consumer,” Riehle said.

When the NRA asked consumers how they typically found the food truck they visited, 73 percent said they just saw it on the street, 54 percent said they selected it from an area where food trucks typically gather, 39 percent found out from a friend, and 13 percent found it through social media.

“Though food trucks are often equated with chefs and entrepreneurs, they also present opportunities for operators of established restaurants to expand their operations and presence, as a majority of consumers say they would visit a food truck run by their favorite restaurant,” Riehle said. “Mobile foodservice can be a good way to extend an existing restaurant brand beyond the four walls of the establishment.”

Age and family situation also influenced interest in food trucks, the survey found. Adults with children (70 percent) were more likely than those without children (52 percent) to say that they would patronize a food truck if their favorite restaurant offered it.

Younger consumers said they would be likely to visit a food truck offered by a restaurant. The NRA poll found that two-thirds of those ages 18-44 would do so, compared with only 38 percent of those 65 or older.
Contact Ron Ruggless at ronald.ruggless@penton.com.
Follow him on Twitter: @RonRuggless

LA health department seeks letter grade posting for food trucks

Read more: http://nrn.com/article/food-trucks-popularity-still-climbing?ad=growth-concepts&utm_source=MagnetMail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Jack@DrofBBQ.com&utm_content=NRN-News-NRNam-09-09-11&utm_campaign=Restaurant%20operators%20sour%20on%20same-store%20sales#ixzz1XSPMpoeQ

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
    Re:Food trucks' popularity still climbing Fri, 09/9/11 7:19 PM (permalink)
    Very interesting!

BackRhodes

• Total Posts: 652
      Re:Food trucks' popularity still climbing Tue, 09/13/11 10:00 PM (permalink)
      Interesting piece...

I don't know about other parts of the country, but for many years all we saw here on the west coast was Mexican food being served...and most of it was good...and in Mexican neighborhoods the competition was substantial...sometimes different trucks on opposite corners of an intersection...and this is where the Campesino's (Mexican field workers) would eat...for a long time this was a Southern California phenominon and I saw lots of these when down there in the 1970's, and then we started seeing them up here, mostly where the Campesino's worked and lived...but th esavvy operators realized ALL folks get hungrey sooner of later, and we've all benefitted by this explosion of vendor trucks / trailers...  

It wasn't until recent years I noticed other types of food being served...I don't spend time in the urban areas, but those areas seem to be the vanguard of new ideas, and from what I've seen they're attracting a loyal customer base...especially office workers wanting something better than what was previously available...fast and good...even vegetarian vendors are having success...

Having food truck competitions on the TV channels is probably a good indivator of the increasing popularity...it's no longer just tacos and hot dogs...

Most all the vending trucks I see in my area are associated with a brick and mortor establishment...if even to use their commercial kitchen...and I know of 2 different vendors with brick and mortor that have multiple trucks...(if the customers you want can't make it to your location, go where the customers are)...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com