The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Foods that bring back memories

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42
mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
Foods that bring back memories Wed, 12/28/11 4:41 PM (permalink)
I was grocery shopping and happened to see a box of Nabisco's Socialable Crackers.  I immediately thought of my childhood next door neighbor.

Then I had to buy a box of Cella's Dark Chocolate Cherries.  I never see them!  My father used to bring one home to me when I was little.  (I ate the entire box!)

If I ever see a seafood crepe on a menu it brings back memories of food poisoning.

Not all food memories are good. 

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6097
    Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 12/28/11 5:42 PM (permalink)
    Fried Bologna sandwiches, I thought we we're the only family who ever had them! I liked mine with Ketchup on them.

chewingthefat

Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 12/28/11 5:44 PM (permalink)
      Fishsticks, ugh. The curse of Catholic families on Fridays!

dimmie2

• Total Posts: 238
        Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 12/28/11 7:11 PM (permalink)
        Banana and Peanut Butter smashed together made into a sandwich.
        Celery with pimento cheese.

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3299
          Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 12/28/11 7:59 PM (permalink)
          Chocolate-covered cherries for me, too, but it's one of the bad memories.
          Jell-O with various and sundry fruits and vegetables in it. Especially the lime with carrots. Immediately puts me back at a church picnic.
          Calamari makes me remember my ex, the first time I had it we were at Old Tony's on the Redondo Beach pier. One of the best nights of my life.
          <message edited by felix4067 on Wed, 12/28/11 8:01 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
            Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 12/28/11 10:23 PM (permalink)
            Tuna Noodle Casserole - had it all the time as a kid. Haven't had it in many years. May make some one of these days.
            <message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 12/28/11 10:28 PM>

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1597
              Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 12/29/11 8:40 AM (permalink)
              chewingthefat

We went with the grilled cheese sandwich & Campbell's Tomato Soup.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 12/29/11 11:11 AM (permalink)
                Isaly's chipped chopped ham fried up with Isaly's BBQ sauce and served on a toasted bun.  

Dat waz sum gud eatin' for yinz who grewed up in da 'Burgh!

chewingthefat

Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 12/29/11 11:53 AM (permalink)
                  Stew on day two!

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 742
                    Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 12/29/11 3:03 PM (permalink)
                    cavandre

chewingthefat

We went with the grilled cheese sandwich & Campbell's Tomato Soup.

Had that for dinner last night. mmmm mmmmmm good!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 12/29/11 5:56 PM (permalink)
                      Round Steak- broiled. Still had the round bone intact. Usually tough, but Steak was the Weekend Treat for us. Lamb Patties (Lamb-burger) Also broiled, plenty of A-1 at our table when the broiler was in use.

Heart Stew, Cold Sliced Tongue sandwiches, and Czech-style Fruit filled dumplings boiled and served hot with melted butter and sprinkled sugar on them. All were frequent dishes on our table in the 50's. Lots of fine memories linked to those dinners.

On the down side, Mother used canned salmon for 'Salmon Patties'. I have never been able to enjoy canned salmon since those patties sat on my plate.
                      Same with Rutabaga. I love Squash and Cabbage cooked, but Rutabaga and to a lesser extent Turnips just don't make it to my acceptable list.
                      <message edited by mayor al on Thu, 12/29/11 6:00 PM>

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
                        Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 12/29/11 6:15 PM (permalink)
                        Applesauce. It brings back memories of my mother's homemade applesauce. Hers was complete with skin and pits. As I recall she'd boil up some apples and then dump them into her new Waring Blender. I think she'd cut the apples in half before putting them on to boil, but I'm not sure.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 12/29/11 8:32 PM (permalink)
                          Pork steak and sauerkraut. Mom would cut up the steak, keeping the bone and fat in place, settling it on sauerkraut and bake it. My God, the sauerkraut was browned from the juices of the pork, and the meat was so tender!

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1137
                            Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 12/30/11 5:01 PM (permalink)
                            frozen mixed vegetables, and frozen French style green beans.  My mother was a good cook, and served seasonal fresh vegetables, but either she needed to stretch her food budget, or others in the family liked them.  I haven't eaten since I was a kid. 

chewingthefat

Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 12/30/11 5:24 PM (permalink)
                              Brussell Sprouts, smelled like poo cooking, hated them!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 12/30/11 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                I still love Brussels sprouts. I guess people who have a bacon fetish have problems with good food.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
                                  Re:Foods that bring back memories Fri, 12/30/11 7:04 PM (permalink)
                                  Michael Hoffman

I still love Brussels sprouts. I guess people who have a bacon fetish have problems with good food.

Let me solve CTF's dilemma and provide you with a tasty recipe:
                                  Bacon and Brussels Sprout Hash
                                  Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence, 2008
                                  Serves: 4 to 6 servings
                                  Ingredients
                                  Extra-virgin olive oil
                                  4 slices thick-cut bacon
                                  4 sprigs fresh thyme
                                  2 pints Brussels sprouts, cut in 1/2
                                  1 pound fingerling potatoes, split down the middle
                                  1/2 pound red pearl onions, peeled
                                  Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
                                  1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
                                  2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
                                  1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
                                  Directions
                                  Set a large sauté pan over medium heat and add a 2 count of olive oil. Cut bacon into long strips and add to pan together with thyme. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes to render the fat then strain and set aside. Add Brussels sprouts, potatoes and pearl onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly browned. Add chicken stock and steam for 3 to5 minutes until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are tender. Add balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Cook until balsamic has reduced then fold in fresh parsley and bacon.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Foods that bring back memories Sun, 01/1/12 11:20 PM (permalink)
                                    Last week, saw thumb print cookies at the store. Brought back memories of Mom at Christmas time. She/we baked up a storm of cookies for friends and family. High on that list was thumb print cookies.

chewingthefat

Re:Foods that bring back memories Mon, 01/2/12 12:15 PM (permalink)
                                      Michael Hoffman

At least Bacon tastes as good as it smells, cooking!

chewingthefat

Re:Foods that bring back memories Mon, 01/2/12 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                        Foodbme

Michael Hoffman

Let me solve CTF's dilemma and provide you with a tasty recipe:
                                        Bacon and Brussels Sprout Hash
                                        Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence, 2008
                                        Serves: 4 to 6 servings
                                        Ingredients
                                        Extra-virgin olive oil
                                        4 slices thick-cut bacon
                                        4 sprigs fresh thyme
                                        2 pints Brussels sprouts, cut in 1/2
                                        1 pound fingerling potatoes, split down the middle
                                        1/2 pound red pearl onions, peeled
                                        Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
                                        1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
                                        2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
                                        1/4 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves roughly chopped
                                        Directions
                                        Set a large sauté pan over medium heat and add a 2 count of olive oil. Cut bacon into long strips and add to pan together with thyme. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes to render the fat then strain and set aside. Add Brussels sprouts, potatoes and pearl onions. Season with salt and pepper and cook until slightly browned. Add chicken stock and steam for 3 to5 minutes until liquid has evaporated and vegetables are tender. Add balsamic vinegar and toss to coat. Cook until balsamic has reduced then fold in fresh parsley and bacon.

That does sound good!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6224
                                          Re:Foods that bring back memories Mon, 01/2/12 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                          chewingthefat

Fried Bologna sandwiches, I thought we we're the only family who ever had them! I liked mine with Ketchup on them.

Ah! food of the gods when I was growing up.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                                            Re:Foods that bring back memories Sun, 01/8/12 2:20 PM (permalink)
                                            When I was in college I briefly dated a girl who had a job at the sandwich shop next to campus and when she came back from a shift she would smell like...well, like a big sandwich and to this day if I stop at a sandwich place I almost always remember her.  And they're good memories...

Zagut

• Total Posts: 40
                                              Re:Foods that bring back memories Sun, 01/8/12 5:00 PM (permalink)
                                              Fried Chicken.
                                              My grandmothers housekeeper Ethel made the best there ever was and will be. It was always such a treat for me when she made it. She never ate with us and I remember one day I went into the kitchen and she was putting ketchup on hers. I asked her why she was using ketchup when her chicken was so good as it was. She said "It's what you like. And I like mine with ketchup". She taught me a valuable lesson that day. Food it how you perceive it and others opinions mean nothing when it comes to enjoyment of it.
                                              This is through the eyes of a 10 or so year old boy.
                                              Years later I contacted Ethel when I was in the area and asked her for her fried chicken recipe. She told me she didn't really have one. A little of this and a little of that. Nothing was etched in stone. I'm sure it was nothing more then Salt, Pepper,Flour,& Hot Oil.  
                                              Say what you want about secret ingredients and preparation methods. But to me it's the love that's involved in the meal. Be it a meal prepared by strangers or folks you know. If they care about others then it shines through the product they produce.
                                              No one  will ever make fried chicken as tasty to me as Ethel did. She was one of a kind and a second mother to me when I visited my Grandparents.
                                              Try as I might I can't get Fried Chicken as good as Ethels. I'll keep trying but I know I'll never succeed. Besides I need to cut back on the fat. That's what the doctors keep telling me.
                                              Do doctors today have any taste buds?
                                              Well I've babbled enough.
                                              Thanks for the thread Mar.
                                              God bless you Ethel Wiggins.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15064
                                                • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                • Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 01/11/12 11:52 AM (permalink)
                                                Not really meaning to derail this thread, but I have a related (to memories) comment that I don't want to bother starting a new thread to mention.

Before Christmas I came across a storage box of VHS Video cassettes of our summer roadtrips from the 80's and 90's and a couple of older cassettes that had activities of my kids in the early 80's..Tee Ball and yard playing scenes etc. Even a 5 minute clip of son Jeff playing H S BBall in 1991 against a team from the school where he now coaches JrHi BBall.

With a little help from a couple of my kids and grandkids, I have taught myself how to do basic edits and to transfer the aging cassette video to dvd. It is a slow job, and I have not mastered the 'clean edit' process, but I am getting the video moved to dvd which will insure the preservation of memories that in many cases I thought were lost.   I wonder if any of you are doing this sort of 'memory preservation' project ?  I am not copying the entire cassette onto the new media, but rather those things which really seem to stand out as preservation-worthy.

crepeflipper

• Total Posts: 18
                                                  Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 02/15/12 2:46 PM (permalink)
                                                  So many of our guests at our crepe cart remember their first crepe.  It may have been lemon and sugar from their grandmother or their first trip to Paris.

It is wonderful to watch people relive those moments.  Like Anton Ego in the movie Ratatouille.  

Michael Hoffman

Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 02/15/12 3:02 PM (permalink)
                                                    My grandmother's crepes were known as blintzes.

Tex-Max

• Total Posts: 103
                                                      • Location: Saratoga County, NY
                                                      Re:Foods that bring back memories Wed, 02/15/12 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                                      Toasted Shipley's Donuts.  My Dad use to get off work at 4 A.M. and on some special days he would bring home warm Shipley's Donuts and wake us all up for this treat.  Of course we had one plain as we waited for the Toasted Donuts from the broiler.  The doughnut was sliced as you would a bagel, then patted with butter and placed under the broiler to toast.  You had to be CAREFUL and let them cool a bit because of the melted sugar on the outside but these were really good.  I have tried this with other donuts but they do not stand up to the toasted Shipley's.

• Total Posts: 51
                                                        Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 02/23/12 3:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        Boudin and crackers, mackerel croquettes, cheese toast (government cheese), friday night fish frys, this german potato dish mama would make (potatoes, onions, sausage, and lots of cheese baked at 350 for an hour), hog head cheese, hamburger helper, pot pies, 33 cent tacos from taco bell.  Now im hungry!
                                                        edit: I forgot Southern Maid Dougnuts!!
                                                        <message edited by 318 on Thu, 02/23/12 3:47 PM>

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                                          • Location: Live at Saint Clair
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 02/23/12 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                                          fudgy chocolate brownies - I can remember trying to slide open my grandmothers brownie pan, the damn thing had a metal sliding lid that scraped along.  ALWAYS got busted trying to sneek one.

AL - we had round steaks quite a bit too, still pick some up occaisionally

318 - Gubmint Grilled Cheese Sandwiches were the best. 
                                                          <message edited by CajunKing on Thu, 02/23/12 4:16 PM>

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                                                            • Location: Hoschton/Braselton, GA
                                                            Re:Foods that bring back memories Thu, 02/23/12 4:37 PM (permalink)
                                                            Taylor pork roll sandwiches with melted cheese on a lightly grilled hard roll. I can still get the pork roll and cheese, but the hard rolls of 40 years ago seem to be extinct. pb

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 42

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com