Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Fieldthistle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1948
2005/10/09 08:58:49 (permalink)

Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth

Hello all,
I hope this is not a stupid question (If it is, I will delete this), but many restaurant workers are on their feet for long hours and on hard floors, and corns, calluses, etc. can develop. It's not good for their feet and also can affect their work. A trip to a foot doctor can be costly for some. Any folklore, tips, rememdies, etc. for the worker with sore feet.
Take care,
Fieldthistle

39 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6828
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/09 10:21:58 (permalink)
    Wear clogs. It was manditory when I worked in Europe and I've been wearing them for 30 years without any problems. I buy mine from LL Bean, but there are quite a few manufacturers out there to choose from.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/09 10:32:03 (permalink)
    mechanics suffer from the same problem, a friend swears by his gell inserts
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/09 10:52:20 (permalink)
    Proper shoes, I wear Dansko Pro clogs, the kind with a back, I tend to slide out of the kind without a heel. Working on a shock mat helps as does good posture. Fortunately, I never had much of a problem with foot pain or back problems, even standing long hours. After 14 hours my knees really bother me, but I work those kinds of hours infrequently, thankfully.
    Mark in Ohio
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 181
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/09 11:21:22 (permalink)
    Being on your feet all day (or night) takes its toll on your body in many ways: sore feet, aching legs, lower back pain, and, if you are on a concrete floor and have to lift and carry a lot, hemorrhoids.

Good footwear is essential, and if you are at a particular work station for most of the time, a rubber anti-fatique mat on the floor makes a big difference from standing on a bare floor. Whether it's in a kitchen or a machine shop these mats help out, they roll up for easy cleaning, and come in a variety of sizes. I see them advertised in machinist, woodworking, and restaurant supply catalogs. Their initial cost may seem a bit high, but if you figure out the spots you are standing at the most, whether it's in front of a stove or a lathe, these cushioning mats help out.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/09 11:35:56 (permalink)
    Yes re clogs. May take you a while to get used to them. I wear some that my wife got for me: operating room clogs, cool green rubber ones. Light as feathers, easy to clean (I scrub mine and then run them through the dish manchine). They throw your hips forward a bit, which helps your back. I suppose you give up a bit of protection, but the difference you feel at the end of the day from eliminating a couple of ounces from the weight on each foot is huge. AND: your feet don't sweat. AND they don't stink.

Also yes re mats. But invest in the best quality ones and the right kind: some aren't made for kitchens, and the oils etc will kill them. And make sure they fit the area in which you're working. If they're not properly fitted they can easily slip, and they're just as dangerous as a slippery floor. Make sure your dishwashers hose them off every night.

And the expense of the mats, if you have to convince a manager, is nothing compared to the lower frequency of slips and falls, to say nothing of increased productivity; I've been cooking almost as long as LLee, and I guarantee you that no one works anywhere near capacity after standing on hard, slippery floors all day and night.

When I started, we all worked on duckboards, which helped with the impact, but got so slippery that it was a major hazard. Of course, back in those days conditions weren't nearly as good as they are now.
    nvb
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/09 12:01:19 (permalink)
    I've never worn clogs so I can't comment on those, but these are my choice.

http://www.texsource.com/justin/menschukkas.html
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/10 15:48:24 (permalink)
    My sister works (on her feet) in a surgical center, and they ALL swear by Krocs. They're all the rage out here. All the medical personnel love them.
    jettababs
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/10 17:04:48 (permalink)
    When I worked in a kitchen, I wore Dansko Pro's, too. Most of the other cooks wore NB sneakers or All-Stars (cheap, easy to clean, but not so great for hours on a hard floor). Doc Martins are another good choice, and both Docs and Danksos have soles that are impervious to almost anything you can slide around in in a kitchen. Danksos are more flexible than wooden clogs, but they do still take a bit of getting used to. My last pair have stood up to hard use for 6+ years, and are still presentable.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/11 18:08:40 (permalink)
    One of the great things about Krocs is that they are rubber, are not slick on wet floors and they can be thrown in the washing machine as well! Come in a million colors. They're very comfortable too.

And no, I don't sell them.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/12 02:54:09 (permalink)
    I'll have to agree with proper footwear and especially the mats.. Though not in the kitchen, when I was bartending they put in a foam (rubber) floor then covered it in linolium. I laughed at the idea, but the difference was beyond beleif! Sore foot problem was gone within a day!
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/12 15:11:36 (permalink)

Having been on my feet most of my life, good shoes are a must. But it has been my experience that many folks dont have the money (especiailly the "back of the house") to afford special shoes. I once voluntered to hostess with a pair of $5.00 tennis shoes (short on help, idiot that I am, more money on the floor, why did I do that?) my shoes had to meet the criteria (white). I sat untold tables (set a record), bussed them (tables), and advised the a$$ on the intercom which one was ready to be sat after consulting with the kitchen. I had blisters for weeks (still scars to this day, here is what I might recommend) But I speak from experience here.

To the employees with sore feet:
    I personally could run across a gravel drive-way bare-footed. It used to be a good thing but not now. You develop callouses on the bottom of your feet that happen over time, you are not aware of it. In effect you walk on stones within your feet. Makes them hurt like hell.

You cannot afford a pedicure, but you can shave the bottoms of your feet.The callouses on your feet, you soak in warm soapy water, and then shave off with your razor of choice. Concentrate on the callouses. These are the stones "hurting" you. Do it three times a week and you will find your feet are much better. "No more walking on rocks".

Just an aside to the poor folks who can't aford $80.00-$125.00 shoes

Copper

Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 09:46:39 (permalink)
    What a load of garbage.

You want to get rid of your calluses? Buy some decent footwear. These are the ones I've worn for years, and you can get them for $40.

http://store.yahoo.com/allheart/mediplogs.html

Hacking up your feet doesn't deal with the cause of the problem, the lousy shoes. And if you, by chance, cut a little deep, and you have to take a week off from work, where's the savings?

European chefs have worn clogs for years, as Llee notes. Operating room personnel, who can spend hours on end standing on tile floors, wear them. Get rid of the Kmart running shoes. They're not designed for standing. They're slippery. They're not safe. And you'll wear them out in two months. My wife bought me these clogs in '97, and I'm only now considering buying a new pair because the tread is getting worn down.

Leave the medical procedures to the licensed podiatrists.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 13:57:56 (permalink)
    Proper footwear is a must! Those who think they can't afford it are kidding themselves, so your tight for a week or 2 but the comfort and lack of lost time more than make up for it. A lot of construction and factory jobs require special footwear should restaurants be any different?
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 14:18:41 (permalink)
    I have to agree...Clogs are the way to go. I cook in clogs and run in New Balance but never shall the two meet. Middle back pain goes away, butt pain is a thing of the past and life is good.
    zataar
    • Total Posts : 1440
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 14:39:25 (permalink)
    I purchased my current pair of Dansko Pro Clogs on-line for $99, no tax, no shipping. They generally last 2 1/2 - 3 years. That is less than $2.75 a month. Pretty reasonable I'd say. I have also worn Bierkenstock Pros ,the kind with the back that I paid $60 for, they came with a padded insert, and the shoes can go through the dish machine. But the Danskos add 2 1/2" of height to me and I can use it. It makes a difference when reaching hanging things.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18450
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 15:05:00 (permalink)
    When they first began wearng clogs in the OR where my wife worked everyone loved the idea -- until the Joint Commission let them know that clogs were not acceptable. Immediately following that ruling clogs weere banned.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 17:06:01 (permalink)
    What was the rationale for banning them? I live down the street from two huge hospital complexes and I see the staff wearing them all the time.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 19:36:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

What was the rationale for banning them? I live down the street from two huge hospital complexes and I see the staff wearing them all the time.

As I recall the rationale was the fact that the Joint Commission said they were not acceptable. If you are a hospital, and the JC tells you something, you do not argue. You do it. And that would include whatever huge hospital complexes you have down the street. FYI: The JC is the Joint Commission on Accreditation. If you run afoul of the JC you lose little things, like, oh dollars.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 22:13:03 (permalink)
    The Joint Commission and its omnipotence notwithstanding, the staffs of Bellevue Hospital and the NYU/Mt. Sinai Medical Center seem to be able to wear their clogs without any problem.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/13 23:06:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scallion1

The Joint Commission and its omnipotence notwithstanding, the staffs of Bellevue Hospital and the NYU/Mt. Sinai Medical Center seem to be able to wear their clogs without any problem.

That may be true, and it may be that things have changed since 1998. Of course, there's always the possibility that neither one of those facilities is accredited. Bellvue usually was not even close to accreditation, which is why they always needed so much more city and state money than other hospitals.
    Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/14 09:04:22 (permalink)
    Bellevue is an excellent hospital, usually referred to as the flagship of the NYC public hospitals. The entire system of public hospitals here has been improved enormously, and more than likely will continue to prosper, since public health is one of the issues closest to Mayor Mike's heart.
    NYU is the teaching hospital for NYU Med School, and generally considered, along with New York/Columbia Presbyterian, to be one of the two best in the city.
    Now, I suppose it's possible that these wonderful institutions, which, together, occupy about 20 city blocks, aren't accredited, but, if so, it would indicate to me a weakness in the JC's hegemony rather than in these hospitals.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/14 09:05:30 (permalink)
    Of course it would.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/18 09:40:17 (permalink)

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to give a pedicure. Its basically as simple as shaving ones legs, under arms or face.

I suppose if being too financially impaired to afford $40.00 shoes when one finally gets a job is "garbage".....well, I simply quake & tremble at the knowledge of how special you are.

Pedicures are not that expensive if one is hesitant to try it on their own. If callouses are advanced, good shoes ain't gonna do squat. Its usually when folks reach a certain age that the damage has been done, ya know, "When you realize you ain't immortal?"

Get your feet shaved, then get good shoes. I ain't judgin folks afraid to do it themselves, heck, they are probably the same ones in the emergency room getting a splinter plucked from their pinky, while I'm dyin in the waiting room passing a kidney stone.

Besides, someone has to keep the Podiatry profession flourishing just responding to my posts.
    Copper

Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/18 11:17:34 (permalink)
    Hello all,
    I appreciate everyone's responses so far to this thread, but I didn't want anyone to get upset.
    My job requires I am on my feet 8 hours a night on a concrete floor, and have developed callouses.
    The brand names of good shoes are appreciated.
    At the same time, money is short and I am interested in anything I can do myself to help cure or
    deal with my foot problems. You may think that my feet are worth any amount of money, but I have a
    daughter in college and a severely autistic son. One example of cost is my son's dentist bill. Recently he
    had some cavities. In order to do the work on him, the dentist has to do her work on my son under
    anesthesia, at the local hospital. The total bill for 4 cavities has been over $3000.
    So Copperhedzkettle, I am gratefully for all the advice you have given. I did soak my feet and use the razor,
    which gave my feet some good temporary relief.
    I am also putting money aside, each paycheck, to buy a pair of good shoes, which has been recommended here.
    I am still interested in any other advice, but really don't want to, and smile when you read this, don't want
    to cause a stink between my roodfood friends over my feet.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    jmckee
    • Total Posts : 1187
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/18 12:04:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Wear clogs. It was manditory when I worked in Europe and I've been wearing them for 30 years without any problems. I buy mine from LL Bean, but there are quite a few manufacturers out there to choose from.

My wife is a pediatric critical care nurse who's on her feet for most of her 8-hour shift. She concurs. Since she switched to clogs her feet and legs do not get nearly the wear and tear they once did.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/18 16:41:16 (permalink)

Thanks for feeling the need to explain yourself, perhaps if you had been more clear I would have reached the correct conclusion at the outset. As any protologist worth his salt would tell you, "opinions are like (blank), everyone's got one." BTW your condescending advice is pretty lame since he is already saving for shoes.

Fieldthistle
    I am glad this "cornball" remedy brought you some relief. You might also try the following to help maintain your tootsies so they don't get so bad to begin with. Although "shaving" the feet is what you get when you have the deluxe pedicure, I can understand the reluctance of some. Mix any old skin cleanser (jergans makes a cheap one that cleanses and moisturizes, both are important) with some cornmeal. Rub them until they are a lovely healthy pink! It has wonderful exfoliation capabilities. Also me Mema swore on Epson salt foot baths as it softens the skin and helps to relieve the "walking on freaking nails" experience.

If you are having joint/ligament pain I would recommend ice-packs, as this causes nerves to shrink. Heat only causes them to swell, it feels great but after you do it follow with ice-packs. I am no Dr. but in 2001 I broke my left foot and cracked the heel. The right foot was fractured, and I was in a wheelchair for 9 months. I spent more time with my podiatrist than my SO. If anyone knows about foot pain I think I at least get an homorable mention. When I have been on my feet for a long time, I put icepacks inside of those long athletic socks and tie them on each foot for the night. I can usually walk quite comfortably the next morning.

Also if you are having probelms with ingrown toenails (horribly painful) try cutting your toenails in a "V". The outsides should be longer with the crux of the "V" in the center short. The outsides of your toenails will grow inward instead of in an outer direction (like they do when you cut them round and wear shoes that are a bit too short). You will have no more ingrown toenails.

So being young and careless (or poor) has caught up with us. Once you get the $$ you might visit one of those places that measure both feet and fit you. After my accident there is a difference in the two of a half-size. It was the PAIN that made it a priority as I see it has done you.

Good luck with your hooves!

Copper

PS Another small thingy. I have three thicknesses of socks, because my shoes fit differently although "supposedly" the same size. You will learn quickly what thickness of sock (or mixtures of) to wear with what shoes.

Scallion1
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/18 17:40:04 (permalink)
    I didn't, I was, you still wouldn't have.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/19 12:45:28 (permalink)

Fieldthistle

I admire your posts and gentle nature, but don't give a second thought that you have caused undue grief with your topic. I thought it a great one!

I gave up after my first post here as "Caramel Copper", to try and figger out why someone so obviously gifted and intelligent comes here on Roadfood to "take a leak" in the Corn Flakes of others.

I have an idea, but would be kicked off if I were to "dare" post it here

Make sure and get a really grainy thick mixture with the cleanser and corn meal. Some folks use sand, but it is too sharp and doesn't wear down naturally like corn meal.

Best of luck,
    Cornball Copper
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Foot Problems- and not foot in mouth 2005/10/25 07:57:13 (permalink)
    great stuff, ms copper.(sorry to hear about your footsies)

i will add 2 points for the shoes you are saving for, Fieldthistle.

"shoes for crews" is a big company that sells non- slip shoes of various types. good prices. they are so good, that many restaurants offer to pay half of the cost of your shoes, and take the other half out of your pay check, a little at a time, just to make sure their workers wear them.
    also, zappos.com i just got a pair of my special orthos through zappos, for half the price i usually pay.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1