Hot!Football Is Here -- Hallelujah!

Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Author
勝美
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/12 23:44:13 (permalink)

Michael Hoffman
I just went through the 2013 NFL Rules Book and was unable to find a single provision for an ejection of a coach. I did find, not in the rule book, that there has never been a coach ejection in the NFL.

Rule 13-1-2. Illegal conduct by non-players (also exclusion for flagrant violations), i.e. non-players going on field without permission (other than team attendants during a team time out). 

Any unsportsmanlike conduct is a fifteen yard penalty and the officials have the option of ejecting for flagrant violations.  

Coaches are not even supposed to step on broad white sideline. Harbough was on the field during the play.  

And then he ran to an official near the hashmarks to protest. There is no challenging a play within the final two minutes of each half of the game. That constitutes a flagrant violation.

Here's another one you may not be aware of. There is a rule regarding excessive crowd noise. 

The home team cannot be penalized for crowd noise but they can be charged with a time out.

Seattle's twelfth man might be in for a surprise. 

post edited by Veronica T - 2014/01/12 23:47:13
pnwchef
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2457
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 09:22:43 (permalink)
If you ever went to a Seahawks game you would know, if the Ref does call time out because of the noise, it would just be louder when time resumes. The refs know this, they may give SF one time out, but, that would be a mistake. SF should just bring earplugs, any earthquake gear they have and crying towels. This game will be one of the hardest hitting games you will see this year..................Go Hawks...........Hawks 38.......49ers 21
勝美
Junior Burger
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 10:10:30 (permalink)

pnwchef

If you ever went to a Seahawks game you would know, if the Ref does call time out because of the noise, it would just be louder when time resumes. The refs know this, they may give SF one time out, but, that would be a mistake. SF should just bring earplugs, any earthquake gear they have and crying towels. This game will be one of the hardest hitting games you will see this year..................Go Hawks...........Hawks 38.......49ers 21

Whoopsy daisy. My bad. A team can lose yardage for excessive crowd noise.

NFL Rules

When, in the judgment of the Referee, the level of crowd noise prevents the offense from hearing its signals, he can institute a series of procedures which can result in a loss of team time outs or a five-yard penalty against the defensive team.

So. After the Seahawks zip through their time outs they'll be penalized yardage.

And if you have ever been to a Badger or Packer football game, when the defensive players start to make that quiet down motion, you'd know it is a good idea to settle down.

pnwchef
  • Total Posts : 2457
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 11:46:26 (permalink)
Not Gonna Happen..............Seattle has great fans, they just like showing it in a loud way......

post edited by pnwchef - 2014/01/13 11:48:33
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18659
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 12:35:11 (permalink)
Yep, there is the mention that the referee has the option to disqualify a coach for a flagrant violation. Considering the fact, though, that no coach in the NFL has ever been ejected, and further that the first call is for a yardage penalty, then no disqualification was even close to being ruled in this case.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7024
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 12:41:36 (permalink)
Well then the refs would have disqualified Coach Cowher for continually spitting while screaming at the Steelers!!!  That's a "flagrant violation"! 
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6396
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 12:50:43 (permalink)
Harbaugh was no where near the play so was not affecting the action like Mike Tomlin was thought to have done earlier this season. Tomlin got a heavy fine afterwards but he was not ejected. The penalty was good enough especially considering the emotion and heat of the action. As I said, Harbaugh was right and if they hadn't reviewed the play there would have been a bigger stink later. Though I think they automatically review them anyway and, if so, Harbaugh's action probably wasn't necessary. He's just an overly emotional guy with an outstanding pirouette move that would be the envy of an Olympic ice skater. In this case, no harm, no foul, and the refs acted appropriately within the rules.

If they started ejecting coaches stepping over the line in games it would get ridiculous. Most all do it in every game.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 13:04:12 (permalink)
Davydd

If they started ejecting coaches stepping over the line in games it would get ridiculous. Most all do it in every game.

They also violate the rule during timeouts. I've never known of a coach at any level, from pee wee through the NFL, who didn't cross into the field of play.

勝美
Junior Burger
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 13:45:04 (permalink)

Michael Hoffman

Yep, there is the mention that the referee has the option to disqualify a coach for a flagrant violation.

Ah ha. You changed your tune and admit I am right. Thank you.

Michael Hoffman 

...  the first call is for a yardage penalty ... 

Wrong. The first unsportsmanlike conduct call is not a yardage penalty. The first call is for a fifteen yard penalty AND ejection at the official's discretion if the infraction was severe.

Harbough was on the field during a play (as seen in the above photograph). That in itself should be an ejection. Then he compounded it by running towards the official and by contesting a decision with the two minute warning. 
If the officials had thrown the flag earlier, the play would have been stopped. There wouldn't have been a touchdown. The fifteen yards would have been from the original line of scrimmage.

Michael Hoffman

... Considering the fact, though, that no coach in the NFL has ever been ejected ...,

Wrong again. The fact is that there is no record of an NFL coach having been ejected. What about that big game between the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Cincinnati Reds? Oh yeah. That was before the NFL kept careful statics.

So saying that no coach in the NFL has ever been ejected is not a fact.

We've recently had another example of a coach on the field. 

The officials could have ruled palpably unfair and awarded the Ravens a touchdown because Tomlin impeded the runner's progress.

Yes. A team can be awarded points without having scored.

No penalty was called. At the very least Tomlin should have gotten nailed with an unsportsmanlike. However, on review by the league, Tomlin was slapped with a $100,000 fine and the Steelers may face loss of draft picks.

Other notable coaches who have been slapped are Belichek (fined $500,000) and Payton (suspended for the entire 2012 season and forfeited $5.8 million of his $7.1 million salary).

Just because they have laminated charts and highlighter magic markers doesn't make them special.
post edited by Veronica T - 2014/01/13 13:58:22
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 14:05:59 (permalink)
I changed my tune? How extraordinarily bitchy of you. By the way, which season was that Reds-Dodgers game -- 1933 or 1934? And if there's no record of an NFL coach being disqualified then there's no record of an NFL coach being disqualified, as I said.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2014/01/13 14:09:42
勝美
Junior Burger
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 14:14:39 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman 

I just went through the 2013 NFL Rules Book and was unable to find a single provision for an ejection of a coach.

I did find, not in the rule book, that there has never been a coach ejection in the NFL.

porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 14:21:11 (permalink)
Sounds like a sour grapes vent by a whiny cheesehead to me.

Michael Hoffman

I changed my tune? How extraordinarily bitchy of you. By the way, which season was that Reds-Dodgers game -- 1933 or 1934? And if there's no record of an NFL coach being disqualified then there's no record of an NFL coach being disqualified, as I said.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 14:25:21 (permalink)
porkbeaks

Sounds like a sour grapes vent by a whiny cheesehead to me.

Michael Hoffman

And most of the Packers fans I've known have been quite gracious, including my son-in-law.
RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 14:47:43 (permalink)
Dodgers - Reds?? When did they play in the NFL?????  " />" />
post edited by RKB - 2014/01/13 14:51:15
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/13 14:58:12 (permalink)
As Michael said, around 1933. The Reds came into the league the year after the Staten Island Stapletons dropped out.

RKB

Dodgers - Reds?? When did they play in the NFL?????  " />" />

RKB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 175
Re:Football Is Here -- Hallelujah! 2014/01/14 08:09:45 (permalink)
Wow. I did not know that they had football teams also. I learn something new every day. Maybe I should Google more often...
Page: << < ..6 Showing page 6 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1