For You Chili Ingredients Experts

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2010/11/02 01:39:58 (permalink)

For You Chili Ingredients Experts

A many of you know, I like to collect old recipe books and people's abandoned recipe files from years past to get a glimpse of cooking techniques of the past. I have a script sauce recipe that calls for some items that I don't know:

Long Chilis
Wide Chilis
Smoked Salt (liquid smoke is also in the recipe)

This recipe dates anywhere between the early 40's and mid 50's. My best guess would be the literal interpetation of wide chilis to be Ancho Chilis just from the spanish interpetation. What "Long Chili's" would be I don't know. Any clue or is there a historical precendent for labeling a particular chili as long?
Then there is the smoked salt. How does it differ from liquid smoke (which I didn't know was around back then) and just adding salt and liquid smoke. This recipe calls for both. I have found Hickory smoked salt on the net.

dwt

18 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10284
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 03:35:22 (permalink)
    Here's just one of various Smoked Salts available.
    Salish™ Alderwood Smoked Salt is new breed of natural smoked salt. This Pacific sea salt is slow smoked over real Alderwood, giving it an authentic, clean smoke flavor. Salish™ smoked sea salt is a 100% natural way to add authentic smoked flavor with no strange aftertaste. No liquid smoke, artificial flavors or coloring are added.

Maine Hickory Smoked Sea Salt is smoked over a natural hickory wood fire with constant attention. The cool smoke permeates the salt and infuses the crystals with a mild, but distinct smoked taste. Delicate yet firm, this popular flavors will enhance the special dishes of great gourmet chefs. http://www.saltworks.us/

Or make your own:
    http://cookingequipment.about.com/od/eqipmenttutorials/ht/Smokedsalt.htm
    post edited by Foodbme - 2010/11/02 03:53:28
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 03:47:17 (permalink)
    I would classify the long Chiles as Anaheim or Serrano. The Wide I would classify as Common Bell Pepper
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 13:47:23 (permalink)
    Dawn, I would have thought that those peppers would have been spelled "chiles" instead of "chilis" back then. There is much speculation as to how the dish we call Chili ended up being spelled w/ an "i" instead of an "e".

Wide Chilis = Bell Pepper, good to know Foodb! I have has some weird looks for saying I like Bell Pepper in Chili. Now I can just say "Wide Chilis". Oh, unless they are Ancho Chilis.
    Joe

And, that smoked sea salt sounds great!
    Joe
    post edited by PapaJoe8 - 2010/11/02 13:49:16
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 14:26:12 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8
    Wide Chilis = Bell Pepper, good to know Foodb! I have has some weird looks for saying I like Bell Pepper in Chili. Now I can just say "Wide Chilis". Oh, unless they are Ancho Chilis.

Bell pepper or sweet pepper is a cultivar group of the species Capsicum annuum (chili pepper).
    Most people don't think of a bell pepper being Chile Pepper because it's sweet as opposed to hot, but they're in the same family. The less hot they are they tend to be called peppers and the hotter they get, they start being called Chiles. A bell pepper and a jalapeno and a serrano are cousins. 
    Here's a good book of all things pepper. One of the authors is the person who met the NM Roadfood tour group. 
    DeWitt, Dave, and Paul W. Boslund. The Complete Chile Pepper Book: A Gardener's Guide to Choosing, Growing, Preserving, and Cooking, Timber Press, 2009. ISBN 0881929204
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 15:07:34 (permalink)
     I would classify ancho chiles as a long peppers and poblano chiles as wide peppers. I do like to use bell peppers in my chili to add a little sweetness. I have posted a recipe in the chili thread in the past. I may revive the thread here.

David O.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 15:09:48 (permalink)
     I meant to say that Anaheim peppers are classified as long peppers. Ancho chiles are the dried version of the poblano.

David O.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 15:17:10 (permalink)
    boyardee65

I meant to say that Anaheim peppers are classified as long peppers. Ancho chiles are the dried version of the poblano.

David O.

Right again Chilihead!
    You need to change your address on your file to Wickie and forget about Wasilla!
    bdtn
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 98
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 15:46:18 (permalink)
    I saw smoked spanish sea salt at tj maxx the other day. its cheaper to make your own.and very easy
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/02 19:58:31 (permalink)
    Bdtn, we need details. How do you do that?

I now let Sadler's Smoke House do all my smoking. Unless I get up to see tha Chewer. Maybe I can get one of them to smoke some salt for me? Or, maybe I can just order some. Or.....
    Joe
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 259
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/03 12:48:07 (permalink)
    I'd say we need more information - where is the cookbook from?  If it's from New Mexico the chiles are likely to be different than if it's from Ohio.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/03 13:09:57 (permalink)
    txtwister

I'd say we need more information - where is the cookbook from?  If it's from New Mexico the chiles are likely to be different than if it's from Ohio.

Geography has nothing to do with it. Chile's is Chile's as far as type goes. A Bell Pepper in NM is the Same as a Bell Pepper in OH.
    DawnT
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/04 00:23:07 (permalink)
    This is a handwritten recipe from notebook that contained some recipes from a KY motel/dinnerhouse that my MIL sent me a copy of. This is a very spicy BBQ like sauce sauce that's based on a #10 can of catsup and used in some of the house recipes with some interesting and odd spices such as ginger and cinnamon in very high amounts. These must be all ground & leaf spices as they given in cup amounts. The script is difficult to read with a lot of mispellings, but they are definitely spelled Chilli and not Chili. I assumed Ancho because the word means wide. By logical extention, the long chile could be called Largo in Spanish if that may ring any bells to any of you. Down here, we don't call peppers "chilies", they are called Aji(s) unlike in Mexico. The recipe also calls for red pepper and cayenne pepper, so it's neither of those. The sauce base was used in small amounts in other recipes mixed with more catsup, onions,brown sugar and diced ham for example and heated together b4 being mixed with canned white beans. If it were green peppers, the logical place to add them would be with the onions and not in the base. 

Thanks again for the suggestions all.
    dwt 
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/04 01:54:15 (permalink)
    Foodbme

txtwister

Geography has nothing to do with it. Chile's is Chile's as far as type goes. A Bell Pepper in NM is the Same as a Bell Pepper in OH.

Er, yeah.  Too bad they didn't call it a bell pepper then.
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/04 11:16:46 (permalink)
    Dawn, that is a mystery.  Based on how we cook now, with ingredients widely available across the US, I'd also have assumed anaheim and poblano or ancho.  But having lived in FL, VA and then NY/CT for the 80's, where we were always thrilled to find even jalapenos for sale, it seems a stretch that poblanos would be grown in 40's-50's Kentucky, doesn't it?  

I'm going to guess banana or Hungarian peppers, which have a long history of being cultivated in the Eastern part of the US, and possibly bell pepper thanks to it's popularity with European settlers.

Which is to say, I have absolutely no idea, but I've had fun trying to form an opinion!  I adore old cookbooks, recipes and receipts!
    post edited by txtwister - 2010/11/04 11:21:31
    DawnT
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/04 11:47:22 (permalink)
    These were definitely pre-packaged spices and probably in the catalog of John Sexton & Co. Foodservice's offerings from Chicago. There's many ingredients in the recipes that were extremely uncommon in Southern kitchens, so I don't think that attempting to classify anything as regional is the key. More like what would have been available from large, institutional foodservice providers's product line. 
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/04 11:57:47 (permalink)
    I gotcha, I was under the assumption the chilis were to be fresh (reading comprehension fail).  Very interesting.  Have you been able to source any Sexton literature for what would be available at the time?
    DawnT
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/04 12:06:54 (permalink)
    No, but I would love to find some sort of listing of what they offered. Seems like a lot of commercial recipes up to the 60's exclusively used their proprietary blends and spices. So much so that many chains and restaurants were turned upside down scrambling for some alternative blends for their signiature recipes after Beatrice foods took them over and sold off the spice division and discontinued many of the blends.
    txtwister
    Cheeseburger
    Re:For You Chili Ingredients Experts 2010/11/04 12:29:35 (permalink)
    You've gotten farther with your googling than I have - I thought I'd found some retro advertising but then the site was dead.

I wonder if you might find some clues by researching burgoo.  The information I've come across is that while it's typically not a spicy dish, chili powder is one common ingredient.  My understanding of your description so far is that this might be a base flavoring recipe for other recipes to follow, so maybe?  (Also, I have zero knowledge of Kentucky food history, I'm learning as I go.)

Oh, you did say that you have other recipes from this same collection/source?  That might help narrow down what the chef/cook's focus was, and if other regional cuisine featured heavily in their cooking, or if they were more Kentucky-home-cooking centered.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1