The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

For anyone who has ever moved...

kirstine

• Total Posts: 265
For anyone who has ever moved... Sun, 11/1/09 9:14 PM (permalink)
What has been the foods/drinks that you have missed or haven't been quite the same in your new area?

My story is that I moved from the very north of Northern Ireland last February to Edmonton, Alberta.  Don't get me wrong there are some great foods here but I have found myself missing quite a number of things from home which I never expected I would.

First and most obvious...The local fish and chip shop for some deep fried guilt inducing goodness

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oQRKXe8Nfus/ScAR0wuqMtI/AAAAAAAAAZA/-l_yDQabayc/s320/fish.jpg

Yellowman candy

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/2588486842_ae05794ab8.jpg

The Ulster Fry complete with soda bread and potato bread

http://www.belfastcitysightseeing.com/citytour/fry.jpg

Wheaten bread

http://webdesign.all-in-one.org.uk/wphlea/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wheaten1.jpg

Bushmills Whiskey...I can get it here, I just don't like to pay $37 for a bottle when I got it for free at home! lol

http://templewines.co.uk/images/Blowup_JPG_IMAGES/bushmills_blackbush.jpg (has to be Black Bush).

Dulse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmaria_palmata 

British Cadbury's Chocolate (Cadbury's doesn't quite taste the same here)

http://www.myenglishpantr...ad_flake_display_l.jpg/

Fentiman's Dandelion and Burdock

http://www.this.is/drgunni/fentimans-dandelion.jpg

I also miss my local Chinese takeaways, the ones here seem to like adding beansprouts to everything! :(

Similarly when I move back to Ireland I'll probably find myself missing foods from here, mainly root beer, pumpkin pie, Tiger Tail ice cream and trips to the Motoraunt for burgers. lol
<message edited by kirstine on Sun, 11/1/09 9:15 PM>

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
    Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Sun, 11/1/09 10:59 PM (permalink)
    When we moved to Ohio in 1986 the American cheese was white & we could not get real bratwurst, let alone brat patties.

In New Jersey a year later it was about the same. The "bratwurst" out there was basically white hot dogs.

Things have changed since then I'm sure.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Sun, 11/1/09 11:34 PM (permalink)
      From Calif. to WV; Fresh tortillias, actually most all Mexican food. Foster's Ice Cream. Me n Ed's pizza. In N Out burger.

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1598
        Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Mon, 11/2/09 8:01 AM (permalink)
        From NYC to east central FL...NYC Hard Roll & bagels!

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
          Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Mon, 11/2/09 8:15 AM (permalink)
          From northern IL to central IA back in the early 1980s: decent beer!

Brad

NC Cheesehead

• Total Posts: 158
            Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Mon, 11/2/09 4:03 PM (permalink)
            From Wisconsin to North Carolina,

Good Steaks and Prime Rib, Good quality artisan cheeses, artisan beers, good wines from good local vineyards, local reasonably priced "supper clubs"  (all chains or high end places here) ,good bakeries. Also the ability to get a bottle of quality brandy without having to go to a state run liquor store 20 miles away where the selection sucks.

What did I gain?  Every damn deep fried thing you can imagine along with mushy sides and tons and tons of bbq with nasty vinegar sauce!  Fried chicken too but I like that very much! And I must admit I love good biscuits and gravy.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6103
              Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Mon, 11/2/09 4:11 PM (permalink)
              Moved from LA. back to Md. in 1985, no such thing as Tri Tip here, not a good thing!

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Tue, 11/3/09 3:23 AM (permalink)
                Forgot Sheboygan hard rolls.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17855
                  Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Tue, 11/3/09 9:39 AM (permalink)
                  Hah! Moving from New Haven: Hard rolls, real appiza, steak sandwiches, pineapple Danish, lobster rolls, fried clams, soft shell crab sandwiches, steamers, pastrami special sandwiches, lasagna with sliced meatball layers, split, grilled Roessler's hotdogs, Foxon Park birch beer, sub sandwiches, pastrami and eggs -- just to name a few things.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                    Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Tue, 11/3/09 9:45 AM (permalink)
                    kirstine

What has been the foods/drinks that you have missed or haven't been quite the same in your new area?

My story is that I moved from the very north of Northern Ireland last February to Edmonton, Alberta.  Don't get me wrong there are some great foods here but I have found myself missing quite a number of things from home which I never expected I would.

First and most obvious...The local fish and chip shop for some deep fried guilt inducing goodness

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_oQRKXe8Nfus/ScAR0wuqMtI/AAAAAAAAAZA/-l_yDQabayc/s320/fish.jpg

Yellowman candy

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3278/2588486842_ae05794ab8.jpg

The Ulster Fry complete with soda bread and potato bread

http://www.belfastcitysightseeing.com/citytour/fry.jpg

Wheaten bread

http://webdesign.all-in-one.org.uk/wphlea/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wheaten1.jpg

Bushmills Whiskey...I can get it here, I just don't like to pay $37 for a bottle when I got it for free at home! lol

http://templewines.co.uk/images/Blowup_JPG_IMAGES/bushmills_blackbush.jpg (has to be Black Bush).

Dulse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmaria_palmata 

British Cadbury's Chocolate (Cadbury's doesn't quite taste the same here)

http://www.myenglishpantr...ad_flake_display_l.jpg/

Fentiman's Dandelion and Burdock

http://www.this.is/drgunni/fentimans-dandelion.jpg

I also miss my local Chinese takeaways, the ones here seem to like adding beansprouts to everything! :(

Similarly when I move back to Ireland I'll probably find myself missing foods from here, mainly root beer, pumpkin pie, Tiger Tail ice cream and trips to the Motoraunt for burgers. lol

I could write volumes on this subject but I have done so to a large extent on these forums already - no sense beating a dead horse here.

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                      Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Tue, 11/3/09 9:01 PM (permalink)
                      Michael Hoffman

Hah! Moving from New Haven: Hard rolls, real appiza, steak sandwiches, pineapple Danish, lobster rolls, fried clams, soft shell crab sandwiches, steamers, pastrami special sandwiches, lasagna with sliced meatball layers, split, grilled Roessler's hotdogs, Foxon Park birch beer, sub sandwiches, pastrami and eggs -- just to name a few things.

I didn't move from New Haven but had a few great trips there this spring and summer.  I am waiting for a business trip there soon so that I can have some more good eats, but it looks as though it may be after the first of the year.  Your post now has me thinking longingly about apizza from Modern and /or Pepe's as well as steamed burgers from Ted's, burgers with cheese skirts from Shady Glenn, and all the hot dog places.  I have to admit the other food on your list sounds pretty good too.

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                        Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Tue, 11/3/09 9:05 PM (permalink)
                        NC Cheesehead

From Wisconsin to North Carolina,

Good Steaks and Prime Rib, Good quality artisan cheeses, artisan beers, good wines from good local vineyards, local reasonably priced "supper clubs"  (all chains or high end places here) ,good bakeries. Also the ability to get a bottle of quality brandy without having to go to a state run liquor store 20 miles away where the selection sucks.

What did I gain?  Every damn deep fried thing you can imagine along with mushy sides and tons and tons of bbq with nasty vinegar sauce!  Fried chicken too but I like that very much! And I must admit I love good biscuits and gravy.

Having moved from NC to NY (many years ago), I miss the "every deep fried thing you can imagine along with mushy sides and tons and tons of bbq with nasty great-tasting vinegar sauce" (OK, it may not be everyone's cup of tea) and the "good biscuits and gravy."  This past week I even tried Sylvia's brand black-eyed peas in a can, but they didn't quite do it - not mushy enough and possessed of a strange flavor.

PS:  Nice concept for a screen name - makes sense to me.
                        <message edited by Buffalo Tarheel on Tue, 11/3/09 9:06 PM>

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                          Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Tue, 11/3/09 10:57 PM (permalink)
                          I've moved around quite a bit, so I have quite a collection of missed foods.

From the SF Bay Area, where I grew up, I mostly miss ready access to regional Asian foods, particularly authentic Chinese cuisines. Dim sum.

From Spain I most miss the fresh markets--the freshness, variety, and presentation of fish and crustaceans, hams and sausage, leafy veggies, cheese and olives. I also miss the bar food (tapas, etc.)

From central New Jersey it's the Italian specialties so popular around the area. In particular, fresh-made (and never frozen) pasta such as pumpkin tortellini.

From Columbus, OH it's the delicious Middle Eastern foods I used to enjoy at a specific restaurant near downtown. I haven't found such good shwarma since.

From Western New York it's the Indian food from two restaurants there.

From the Deep South I most miss the fried chicken, the barbecue, and the preponderance of "meat-and-three" restaurants.

But here in Milwaukee I have access to many other good things, including some of the best pizza I've ever had.
                          <message edited by quijote on Tue, 11/3/09 10:59 PM>

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Fri, 07/22/11 4:03 PM (permalink)
                            LA (not the one on the left coast, but the real one) to IN

the list is endless on foods.  Here for something to be cajun it is burnt and liberal seasoning applied. BLECH!!

I think I miss the people and the culture as much as the food

Hey Kirstine you still freezing your arse off up north?

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                              Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Fri, 07/22/11 4:41 PM (permalink)
                              From France and Belgium, well, everything.  From Boston the seafood.  Miss lobster so much I'm having 3 two-pounders shipped to me next week.  From Alaska, the super fresh halibut.

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                                Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Fri, 07/22/11 8:48 PM (permalink)
                                from chicago ( skokie ) to palm beach florida, what a mistake  except for the good job

ces1948

• Total Posts: 1499
                                  Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Fri, 07/22/11 9:11 PM (permalink)
                                  From Tennessee to Port St Lucie, FL. I should be whipped for complaining about the food in Tennessee compared to this place. Biscuits and gravy, country ham, fried chicken. Some of the pizza is better here though as we have a bunch of New Yorkers and Jerseyites.

claracamille

• Total Posts: 414
                                    Re:For anyone who has ever moved... Sun, 07/24/11 1:57 PM (permalink)
                                    From WV to OH then to Indianapolis:
                                    WV hotdogs- chili,onions & slaw
                                    pepperoni rolls
                                    hot balony sandwiches-making some this week.
                                    my Mom's cooking.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com