The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food

dansmithn

• Total Posts: 1
For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Thu, 08/19/04 1:22 PM (permalink)

http://noodlepie.typepad.com/blog/2004/05/street_sarnies.html

enjoy reading

---------------------------------------
Pho! it does body good!!! :)
-- signed Lacto --
:)

Rhodes

• Total Posts: 281
    RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Thu, 08/19/04 1:33 PM (permalink)
    Just had a great `combo' banh mi for lunch. That was some good!!

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
      RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Thu, 08/19/04 7:46 PM (permalink)
      Oh, I do love Vietnamese food and have spent years learning to make it as well at home as at some of the restaurants in our area. I'm still learning! Thanks for the link.

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
        RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Tue, 08/31/04 2:48 PM (permalink)
        One of our dear friend's daughter married a young man from Viet Nam.
        His family is all here in the US now. His sisters helped prepare some of the dishes for the reception. The food was wonderful. Then later, we visited in the young couple's home and had some more of the wonderful tasting food. We don't have any Restaurants in our area that I know of that specializes in the cooking though.

zataar

RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Tue, 08/31/04 3:59 PM (permalink)
          We're going to the twin cities this week and will be going to a vietnamese restaurant that does a special "Beef 7 Heavenly Ways" or something that translates closely to that. I'll post the results after trying it. It sounds great. Every course has a small amount of beef prepared a different way for each course. Our daughter said it is fabulous and we must experience it.

zataar

RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Sun, 09/19/04 10:39 PM (permalink)
            For those who love vietnamese food: I experienced a 7 course beef tasting in St.Paul recently that was quite fabulous.
            Course # 1: grilled beef and cabbage salad with lime vinaigrette
            #2 beef simmered in vinegar and onion fondue at the table with greens, rice paper wrappers and herbs
            #3 marinated sliced beef with ginger, garlic and soy, grilled at the table with more rice paper wrappers, lettuce, etc
            #4 steamed beef and glass noodles, mushrooms and fish sauce
            #5 grilled aromatic beef meatballs with peanut sauce
            #6 minced beef and lemongrass wrapped in grape leaves, then grilled
            #7 the most fabulous ginger beef and rice soup, the perfect ending to an incredible meal. None of the portions were so large as to be unmanagable. Just small quantities of each perfectly prepared course.

Grampy

• Total Posts: 1559
              RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Sun, 09/19/04 10:56 PM (permalink)
              I am making myriad stir-frys with holy basil. Any suggestions for other dishes with this sublime herb? How does it freeze?

zataar

RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Sun, 09/19/04 11:31 PM (permalink)
                I haven't had much luck preserving holy basil. One way to freeze it for stir frying is to puree it with a little canola oil and freeze it in small portions right away. It can be thawed and stir into curries as an acceptable ( to some people, myself included) way to get that wonderful flavor in December if you live where I do. I generally just enjoy growing it and using it until the first frost, then buy it at my favorite asian market until time to plant it again. Some things are just meant to be used fresh. Try the puree though, it's really pretty good for chicken with chiles and basil and other southeast asian stir fries. Especially is you don't have easy access to an excellent asian market.

zataar

RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Sun, 09/19/04 11:41 PM (permalink)
                  Hey, I just noticed, I'm a cheeseburger!

Danmel

• Total Posts: 193
                    RE: For those who like Pho, Banh Mi, & Vietnamese food Mon, 09/20/04 8:38 AM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by zataar

For those who love vietnamese food: I experienced a 7 course beef tasting in St.Paul recently that was quite fabulous.
                    Course # 1: grilled beef and cabbage salad with lime vinaigrette
                    #2 beef simmered in vinegar and onion fondue at the table with greens, rice paper wrappers and herbs
                    #3 marinated sliced beef with ginger, garlic and soy, grilled at the table with more rice paper wrappers, lettuce, etc
                    #4 steamed beef and glass noodles, mushrooms and fish sauce
                    #5 grilled aromatic beef meatballs with peanut sauce
                    #6 minced beef and lemongrass wrapped in grape leaves, then grilled
                    #7 the most fabulous ginger beef and rice soup, the perfect ending to an incredible meal. None of the portions were so large as to be unmanagable. Just small quantities of each perfectly prepared course.

We ate at a place like that in Anaheim ( or Garden Grove) in February 2001. We took the kids to Disneyland and after the day at the park, started driving around looking for place to eat. Well, we ended up in a "Little Saigon" type neighborhood and went into this restaurant that had a "7 courses of beef" sign. We were the only non- Asians there, always a good sign. When the waiter came over to us, I said "I guess you don't get much of the Disney crowd" and he just cracked up.

The food was great- I can always go for vietnamese food.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com