Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 74
MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
  • Roadfood Insider
For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sat, 04/12/08 11:52 PM (permalink)
What we have here is a Nathan's Polska Kielbasa in a Martin's potato roll dressed with French's mustard. No ketchup any where near the food. I really like these sausages.

A diet A&W Root Beer to wash it all down with.

Oh yeah, dog snobs was just a sorry attempt at some light hearted humor.

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
    RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 7:38 AM (permalink)
    Sub some ketchup for yellow stuff and you'd have a fine looking sausage.

Just kidding; that sausage looks cooked to perfection.

John Fox

• Total Posts: 2313
      RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 7:48 AM (permalink)
      Proudly I embrace the label "hot dog snob".

I would sooner put ketchup on a steak from Peter Luger's than desecrate a hot dog with that stuff. Ketchup on a hot dog is an abomination. It just is. In fact, our Creator prohibited the stuff on the Holy Frankfurter. It was one of the Lost Commandments that was originally handed down to Moses.

I know that some argue "that's how I eat mine, and who are you to tell me otherwise?" Well, if you want to defile a perfect food, I can't stop you. I just wish that you wouldn't do it in public. It's a shameful act that years ago was only committed in the privacy of one's home. I have to admit that my son used to engage in this behavior. I was shocked and had to question my wife regarding the boy's paternity. Nonetheless he stopped this antisocial behavior when he turned 16. Part of it had to do with the maturing process, while the rest of it was because I had threatened to put him up for adoption. My wife and I spent a lot of time and effort administering some tough love in an attempt to turn my son around. I'm glad things turned out ok.

My daughter (22 and out of the house) never put ketchup on a hot dog. But for some inexplicable reason, she stopped eating meat at the age of 16. But that's another story for another day.

The topic of ketchup on a hot dog has come up frequently on Roadfood. I am an opinionated person, especially when it comes to hot dogs, beer, religion, and politics. But I have refrained, until recently, from commenting on this subject. Why? you may ask. Because it scares me. I've been reluctant to discuss the issue, but I feel like I can share something personal with my Roadfood family. According to my regular family, I spend more time on these forums listening to you people than them. Anyway, about two years ago I had the most horrible nightmare I've ever had. Fascists took over the country and the first thing they did was take away the right of law abiding citizens to own guns. Then they decreed that hot dogs must be eaten with ketchup. Michael Hoffman was right! He is a wise man who should be taken seriously. As leader of the opposition, I was arrested. The fascists wanted to make an example of me, so they put me on national television and tried to force feed me a hot dog with ketchup on it.

Just before they were able to pry my mouth open, I woke up in a cold sweat. I was so scared that I jumped in my car and drove to my childhood home. I crawled into bed between my elderly parents and even insisted that my mother go up into the attic and bring down my old teddy bear and security blanket. With the help of a loving family and a good therapist, I have been making progress dealing with my phobia.

This whole ketchup on a hot dog abomination should have been nipped in the bud. Because it wasn't, we are reaping the consequences. Reprobates have opened trendy hot dog restaurants (in New Jersey of all places!) and introduced all kinds of deviations from the traditional hot dog. In addition to ketchup, we now have such things as cream cheese, peanut butter, broccoli rabe, corn flakes, and eggs being thrown at us. And that's just some of the things. The rest I've blocked out, fearing a relapse and a possible return to the psychiatrist's couch. I shudder to think what might be next. The rumor going around in hot dog circles is that two twenty something guys are looking to open their own place soon. Their goal is to outdo the existing hot dog eateries where the focus is the crap piled on the dog rather than the dog itself. Proposed toppings include raisinets, gummy bears, rice crispies, oatmeal, and sweet tarts.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
        RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 7:56 AM (permalink)
        I LOVE ketchup on my hot dogs --- especially mixed with mustard and with relish and onions. BOO!

Andrea

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
          RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 7:58 AM (permalink)
          ROFL....
          I am going to have to try some of the Nathan's sausages on Nathan's Potato Rolls, made under license by H&S/Northeast. I normally buy the white Nathan's rolls, which are food service rolls sold in supermarkets, but that Kielbasa and potato roll sure look good!

Earl of Sandwich

• Total Posts: 600
            RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 8:01 AM (permalink)
            No ketchup (or catsup) here. Great photo and I may be on a hot dog hunt today.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
              RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 8:24 AM (permalink)
              Yesterday I bought a pack of Windmill hotdogs at my local King's Supermarket. I am looking forward to eating them. I haven't decided how I will cook them yet but I know I won't be putting ketchup on them!

ShellysDawgHouse

• Total Posts: 469
                RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 8:43 AM (permalink)
                I put mustard and a bit of ketchup/catsup on a dog if i have chili. Other than that, never use ketchup on my dog. But i can tell ya this, i serve ALOT ALOT ALOT of dogs with ketchup!! and as i have said in the past and even worse, MAYO!!! Bottom line, i could care less what people get on thier hot dog as long as the get the dog!!!!
                Here's my website if anyone would like to take a peek and give me some feedback. ty in advance.
                www.shellysdawghouse.com

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                  RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 8:54 AM (permalink)
                  Nice website Shelly and your dogs look great! I love your sign! The best of luck with it!

Andrea

ShellysDawgHouse

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 9:11 AM (permalink)
                    Thank you. I LOVE my sign. An artist friend of my husband did it for me. Everyone comments on it. Thanks again

porkbeaks

• Total Posts: 2201
                      RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 9:23 AM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by ShellysDawgHouse

I put mustard and a bit of ketchup/catsup on a dog if i have chili. Other than that, never use ketchup on my dog. But i can tell ya this, i serve ALOT ALOT ALOT of dogs with ketchup!! and as i have said in the past and even worse, MAYO!!! Bottom line, i could care less what people get on thier hot dog as long as the get the dog!!!!
                      Here's my website if anyone would like to take a peek and give me some feedback. ty in advance.
                      www.shellysdawghouse.com

Nice site, Shelly. Cool sign and good photos. I did spot a few typos that you may want to correct. pb

Please Note: On bad weather mornings i (s/b capital I) may open up a bit late it (should be "if") the weather clears. Rain opening time would be by 11:30

you can contact me @ any of the following email addresses....

Shelly@shellysdawghouse.yahoo

Shellysdawghouse@aol.com

and my (s/b or may) call and see if i (s/b capital I) am there #( if weather is ify (should be "iffy) is 646-207-4456

I leave a message on my phone if i (s/b capital I) am NOT opening.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                        RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 9:34 AM (permalink)
                        Is there anything better than Sunday at The Masters and yet another arguement about Ketchup on a Hot Dog?
                        How about the Miracle Whip vs Mayo debate?

Ketchup on a Hot Dog next to double dipping is by far the most discusting thing in the food world.
                        ...Russ

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
                          RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 9:36 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by MikeS.

What we have here is a Nathan's Polska Kielbasa in a Martin's potato roll dressed with French's mustard. No ketchup any where near the food. I really like these sausages.

A diet A&W Root Beer to wash it all down with.

Oh yeah, dog snobs was just a sorry attempt at some light hearted humor.

Whats with the Diet Root Beer? That is a violation also....Russ

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
                            RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 9:42 AM (permalink)
                            quote:

www.shellysdawghouse.com

Shelly, Great menu, I will be stopping by. I think I'll have one of each.

Your right, the customer is always right. As long as they are plunking down the money, who cares how the top their dog. Keeps everyone happy

MiamiDon

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 9:43 AM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

www.shellysdawghouse.com

Nice site, Shelly. Cool sign and good photos. I did spot a few typos that you may want to correct. pb

Please Note: On bad weather mornings i (s/b capital I) may open up a bit late it (should be "if") the weather clears. Rain opening time would be by 11:30

you can contact me @ any of the following email addresses....

Shelly@shellysdawghouse.yahoo

Shellysdawghouse@aol.com

and my (s/b or may) call and see if i (s/b capital I) am there #( if weather is ify (should be "iffy) is 646-207-4456

I leave a message on my phone if i (s/b capital I) am NOT opening.

That "my" should not be a may, pb. What she should do is tie everything from "call" to "number" together by putting quotes around the adjectival phrase, and also change the "and" to "to". Like this: "call to see if I am there".

ShellysDawgHouse

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:02 AM (permalink)
                                Thanks all. I will go back and make suggested changes. Appreciate it.

John Fox

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:07 AM (permalink)
                                  What size (# per pound) are the dogs that you serve?

MellowRoast

• Total Posts: 1931
                                    RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:13 AM (permalink)
                                    While I don't put ketchup on dogs or burgers, I can't imagine a problem with someone wanting to do so.

I bet it'll cause a stir if I mention I put it on fried okra, though.

By the way, Shelly, did you ever get your hands on Heinz Hot Relish?

ShellysDawgHouse

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:15 AM (permalink)
                                      John
                                      I use a 10/1 on the Sabrett. I use a 8/1 on the hebrews. (I would like to use a bigger size on the hebrews but, other then that i can only find 6/1) and unfortunetly i may have to give up on the grilled because i don't sell enough of them. I eat more than sell and that is NOT good.

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:22 AM (permalink)
                                        There ya go Mike... Getting John Fox all riled up again. Luckily he didn't see the Kielbasa after ya put the camera away...

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/2409643213_9417306af2.jpg?v=0[/img]

John Fox

Thanks. A 10/1 is the ideal size for a Sabrett. I've found that the casings on an 8/1 (what's sold in some supermarkets) isn't as tight as I'd like. The 10's are just right. A great dirty water dog assuming it's served hot enough, which I'm sure you do.

I prefer grilled Hebrew Nationals to boiled. Too bad they aren't selling. Would you grill the Sabrett's if asked? I also love these dogs grilled. It's the dog served at Papaya King and Gray's.

I'd like to stop by if I ever get a day off other than Sunday.

MilwFoodlovers

I had a nightmare once where the PC police came in and made everyone eat only what they themselves enjoyed. I woke up in a cold sweat too!

Fascism is usually explained as government run by corporations so its possible those franks will be skinless chicken "hot dogs" imported from overseas!!!!!

If so, neither ketchup or mustard will do, it'll take liberal doses of Dave's Insanity Sauce to get one down.

Now give me my Usinger's Black Angus natural casing frankfurter with minced onions and a few sport peppers, hold the ketchup, hold the mustard.

A good Polish sausage seems like just about anything could be put on or left off.

"Na Zdrowie!"

ShellysDawgHouse

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:23 AM (permalink)
                                              Mellow
                                              No i didn't but i must admit i didn't put that good of an effort into it. I got hooked on the "hot" mango relish and the jalepeno relish and just said the heck with it for now. but i will look again soon.

John Fox

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                quote:
                                                Originally posted by UncleVic

There ya go Mike... Getting John Fox all riled up again. Luckily he didn't see the Kielbasa after ya put the camera away...

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2219/2409643213_9417306af2.jpg?v=0[/img]

Mike S., you are stone cold busted!

ShellysDawgHouse

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:27 AM (permalink)
                                                  John
                                                  I would definetly grill one if you asked. I try to do whatever makes the customer happy. I also grill the Sabrett hot sausage where most people i have seen boil them and i must say they are much tastier grilled. and nice and spicy. Would love for you to stop by if ever you get a chance.

seocom

• Total Posts: 66
                                                    RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:33 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by John Fox

Proudly I embrace the label "hot dog snob".

I would sooner put ketchup on a steak from Peter Luger's than desecrate a hot dog with that stuff. Ketchup on a hot dog is an abomination. It just is. In fact, our Creator prohibited the stuff on the Holy Frankfurter. It was one of the Lost Commandments that was originally handed down to Moses.

I know that some argue "that's how I eat mine, and who are you to tell me otherwise?" Well, if you want to defile a perfect food, I can't stop you. I just wish that you wouldn't do it in public. It's a shameful act that years ago was only committed in the privacy of one's home. I have to admit that my son used to engage in this behavior. I was shocked and had to question my wife regarding the boy's paternity. Nonetheless he stopped this antisocial behavior when he turned 16. Part of it had to do with the maturing process, while the rest of it was because I had threatened to put him up for adoption. My wife and I spent a lot of time and effort administering some tough love in an attempt to turn my son around. I'm glad things turned out ok.

My daughter (22 and out of the house) never put ketchup on a hot dog. But for some inexplicable reason, she stopped eating meat at the age of 16. But that's another story for another day.

The topic of ketchup on a hot dog has come up frequently on Roadfood. I am an opinionated person, especially when it comes to hot dogs, beer, religion, and politics. But I have refrained, until recently, from commenting on this subject. Why? you may ask. Because it scares me. I've been reluctant to discuss the issue, but I feel like I can share something personal with my Roadfood family. According to my regular family, I spend more time on these forums listening to you people than them. Anyway, about two years ago I had the most horrible nightmare I've ever had. Fascists took over the country and the first thing they did was take away the right of law abiding citizens to own guns. Then they decreed that hot dogs must be eaten with ketchup. Michael Hoffman was right! He is a wise man who should be taken seriously. As leader of the opposition, I was arrested. The fascists wanted to make an example of me, so they put me on national television and tried to force feed me a hot dog with ketchup on it.

Just before they were able to pry my mouth open, I woke up in a cold sweat. I was so scared that I jumped in my car and drove to my childhood home. I crawled into bed between my elderly parents and even insisted that my mother go up into the attic and bring down my old teddy bear and security blanket. With the help of a loving family and a good therapist, I have been making progress dealing with my phobia.

This whole ketchup on a hot dog abomination should have been nipped in the bud. Because it wasn't, we are reaping the consequences. Reprobates have opened trendy hot dog restaurants (in New Jersey of all places!) and introduced all kinds of deviations from the traditional hot dog. In addition to ketchup, we now have such things as cream cheese, peanut butter, broccoli rabe, corn flakes, and eggs being thrown at us. And that's just some of the things. The rest I've blocked out, fearing a relapse and a possible return to the psychiatrist's couch. I shudder to think what might be next. The rumor going around in hot dog circles is that two twenty something guys are looking to open their own place soon. Their goal is to outdo the existing hot dog eateries where the focus is the crap piled on the dog rather than the dog itself. Proposed toppings include raisinets, gummy bears, rice crispies, oatmeal, and sweet tarts.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Dear John,

Obviously you must not know too much about hotdogs and have led a very sheltered life, away from the finer dining experiances, such as ketchup on hotdogs...

I will add whatever I feel like at the time to mine, be it ketchup, mustard, relish, pickles, etc...AND I am not in my teens or younger, far from it...

Of course, you must be new to Roadfood (so a big hearty welcome to you as a newcomer ), but if you should decide to stick around, hopefully we can help open your mind to new tastes and to broaden your horizens to the finer things in life...ie: ketchup on hot dogs being one the best...

VERY Sincerely,
                                                    Stan...

PS: don't worry, you are not a snob, it just must be an illness and illnesses CAN BE CURED, try to start with just one small hotdog with ketchup and work up from there...

jman

• Total Posts: 1276
                                                      RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:35 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Fascism is usually explained as government run by corporations so its possible those franks will be skinless chicken "hot dogs" imported from overseas!!!!!

Where did you get that definition, Mother Jones?

MiamiDon

RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                                        Shelly,

Is there a photo around of your hot dog cart/truck/stand?

MilwFoodlovers

• Location: Milwaukee, WI
                                                          RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 10:47 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by jman

quote:
                                                          Originally posted by MilwFoodlovers

Where did you get that definition, Mother Jones?

Encyclopædia Britannica

But don't get your natural casings in a knot, the post was not meant to be taken serious

I was specifically thinking of a dog I wouldn't care to try for free, FUD chicken dogs. I'll joke about ketchup or mustard, but I draw the line at poultry dogs (very high fat too btw) although I enjoy a "gourmet"-i.e. expensive artisan poultry sausage.

ShellysDawgHouse

• Location: parlin, NJ
                                                            RE: For you Dog Snobs, no ketchup Sun, 04/13/08 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                                            The bite me sign is there and i park right next to it.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 74

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com