Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI)

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5137
2014/06/16 20:12:06 (permalink)

Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI)

First of all, the correct pronunciation is "muk-WAH-na-go", not "muk-woe-NAY-go".

A little over a week ago I was in the Milwaukee suburb of New Berlin and after taking care of business I headed home on National Avenue/County Road ES, which parallels I-43.  I'd done a little bit of research ahead of time and decided to stop at Fork In The Road, a restaurant that's been around since 2002 in a building that dates back to the late 1800s.

One of the dining room walls shows the history of the building through the names of its previous tenants.

Of course, there's a bar with dark wood and dim lighting.

Lunch started with cornbread and cinnamon butter, which reminded me in color a little of the tooth cleaner dentists use.  Fortunately the taste was completely different.

I started with a plate of real cheese curds in a light, crispy, vodka tempura batter.  Unlike some curds or cheese nuggets that don't have much taste these curds had an interesting, slightly grassy flavor.

The fried chicken was very good.  It wasn't highly seasoned but it still had good flavor and wasn't bland, and the crust was crisp and crumbly.

I'm not a slaw eater so I ordered the plate without it, but there was no way I was going to skip the garlic mashed potatoes.  They weren't excessively garlicky and were topped with a nice gravy and some sort of garnish, which I should've asked about but didn't.

Maybe Fork In The Road isn't truly Roadfood and the menu does feature some items that lean toward the upscale side, but I'd gladly order the fried chicken again.  Or maybe the mac & cheese.  Or the meatloaf...

7 Replies Related Threads

mlm
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    Re:Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI) 2014/06/16 20:29:45 (permalink)
    Looks good! Is this the chicken for the month, or is there another one coming? Oh, I hope, I hope, I hope for more!
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2976
    Re:Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI) 2014/06/17 07:22:39 (permalink)
    What?  No pie stop at The Elegant Farmer?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10379
    Re:Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI) 2014/06/17 08:01:10 (permalink)
    Yup, yet another Wisconsin city I have been mispronouncing.....

The idea of cinnamon butter with corn bread sounds pretty good!
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5137
    Re:Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI) 2014/06/17 12:39:44 (permalink)
    MLM, thanks!  The COTM thread's on hiatus for the time being so I'll be posting chicken as I find it.

CTD, I drove right past the Farmer but the parking lot was pretty full so I didn't stop.  Perhaps another time, but the pie wouldn't be for me anyway.

BB, what really confuses things with words ending in "go" is that sometimes the preceding syllable is accented (Winnebago) and sometimes it's not (Mukwonago, Peshtigo).

I want to say that the cinnamon butter was also sweetened with honey, but am not 100% sure.  Personally I would've preferred regular butter to let the cornbread flavor really come through, but the cinnamon wasn't overpowering.
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    Re:Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI) 2014/06/17 16:12:55 (permalink)
    ChiTownDiner

What?  No pie stop at The Elegant Farmer?

I can't lie. I was thinking the same thing. 
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2976
    Re:Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI) 2014/06/17 17:40:46 (permalink)
    Thick sliced bacon, cheese curds, and then multiple pies...he may have had a fever!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Fork In The Road (Mukwonago WI) 2014/06/17 17:50:24 (permalink)
    "Maybe Fork In The Road isn't truly Roadfood and the menu does feature some items that lean toward the upscale side, but I'd gladly order the fried chicken again.  Or maybe the mac & cheese.  Or the meatloaf..."
    If Fried Chicken, Cornbread, Mac & Cheese and Meatloaf ain't Roadfood, then Grits ain't Groceries!!!!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1