Fountain cokes

Author
claracamille
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 434
2010/01/23 11:42:24 (permalink)

Fountain cokes

I am not a big soda drinker, but if I have a burger I do have a regular coke.

What I really miss are fountain cokes- coke syrup,soda water & ice.  I always liked my straight coke, but I had friends who would always have cherry coke, vanilla coke & one friend who always had a cherry/chocolate coke(a muddly brown color that I couln't even look at, much less drink).

I have not been able to find a real fountain coke for years.  Even my favorite drugstore soda fountain restaurant-Trivillians pharmacy in Charleson, WV- has one of those soda machines that give several kinds of soda.

If anyone knows of a where I can get a true fountain coke in IN, OH, or WV I will make a trip to get one. 

Thanks in advance.

18 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15303
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/23 13:54:30 (permalink)
    Clara...

The fast food Burger stand "Rally's" will add shots of flavor to their fountain (automated) beverages.  I have found there flavored cokes to be pretty good...and same price as the 'plain' drinks. Sonic does much the same with there beverages, only they add real cherries  and lemons or limes, etc when you order the flavored sodas.
    David_NYC
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/23 16:50:33 (permalink)
    I googled Indiana Soda Fountain and got many hits. I started to go through the listings, and examined the photographs on the various web sites. While many use the modern soda machines, there are several that still have the soda syphon, and separate ice and syrup.

The first hit was for Mundt's:
    http://www.mundtscandies.com/menu.html
    Video of the Market Square Soda Fountain in Kinsman, Ohio:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ow2fKUXRKqk
    post edited by David_NYC - 2010/01/23 16:58:52
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/23 17:21:26 (permalink)
    Here is the future we have some of these in San diego
    Coca-Cola unveils the soda fountain of the future 

[link=http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-08-05/lifestyle/coca-cola-unveils-the-soda-fountain-of-the-future#ixzz0dTc20nHu]http://www.sdnn.com/sandi...e-future#ixzz0dTc20nHu[/link]
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18630
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/23 17:50:00 (permalink)
    mayor al 

The fast food Burger stand "Rally's" will add shots of flavor to their fountain (automated) beverages.  I have found there flavored cokes to be pretty good...and same price as the 'plain' drinks. Sonic does much the same with there beverages, only they add real cherries  and lemons or limes, etc when you order the flavored sodas.

Waffle House will add flavors to the sodas from the machine.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/24 11:17:02 (permalink)
    David_NYC

I googled Indiana Soda Fountain and got many hits. I started to go through the listings, and examined the photographs on the various web sites. While many use the modern soda machines, there are several that still have the soda syphon, and separate ice and syrup.

Thanks for the update.  I have been in many soda fountains that have the soda water syphon & the metal pumps for coke syrup, but I have yet to find one that actually serves fountain cokes.  My youtube connection is not working but I will look up the Market Square Soda Fountain in Kinsman, Ohio.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/24 11:19:18 (permalink)
    mayor al

Clara...

Mayor Al,

Thanks for the update.  Steak & Shake also have syrups to add to cokes.  I have a good friend who gets a diet coke with chocolate & cherry syrups.  What a muddy mess, but she loves them!!!
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/24 13:33:47 (permalink)
    Gotta love it. You don't use up aluminum on cans or plastic on bottles, so you can pose as an earth muffin, but the REAL benefit of tihis is it's cheaper to the merchant.

One caveat: A real cherry coke and vanilla coke are made with alcohol based syrups, which is a concern for me and my fellow Friends of Bill W., but is a concern.

Claracamille, don't the syrups kinda cancel out the diet of a diet Coke?
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/24 13:41:51 (permalink)
    markolenski Here is the future we have some of these in San diego
    http://www.sdnn.com/sandi...e-future#ixzz0dTc20nHu
    For the rest of us: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/

David_NYC
    • Total Posts : 2165
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/24 16:53:25 (permalink)
    claracamille

Thanks for the update.  I have been in many soda fountains that have the soda water syphon & the metal pumps for coke syrup, but I have yet to find one that actually serves fountain cokes.  My youtube connection is not working but I will look up the Market Square Soda Fountain in Kinsman, Ohio.

The video also shows the soda water syphon & the metal pumps for syrup at the Market Square Soda Fountain in Kinsman, Ohio.
    I now have to ask what you define as a "Fountain coke". Around here, sodas that come out of those modern machines are called fountain sodas. If you are not talking about those places that still have the separate metal pumps for syrup, are you talking about the cokes from fountain dispensers such as seen on this web site?:
    http://www.vintagevending.com/dole-citation-coca-cola-soda-fountain-dispenser

I forgot all about these dispensers. We also used to have wooden dispensers in this area for Richardson root beer. The soda jerk would fill a glass with ice, then pull the lever on the dispenser to fill the glass with soda. These dispensers always mixed the same amount of syrup to water. I have not seen any of these machines in this area for years.
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/24 20:47:36 (permalink)
    markolenski

Here is the future we have some of these in San diego

I saw those on TV someplace - it looks pretty awesome, actually.....I LOVE splashing a little orange into my CC....
    ConeyIslandLou
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 753
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/24 20:55:10 (permalink)
    Big Ugly Mich

markolenski Here is the future we have some of these in San diego
    For the rest of us: http://www.sodastreamusa.com/

With the new technology of the cartridges like the new dispensers use, it is not too much of a leap to think that in a few years, coke will make 'home versions' of the dispensers, smaller, of course, BUT it would let Coke and Pepsi solve the problem of transporting bulky cans and bottles to supermarkets, and instead sell the cartridges, CO2, and programming modules. It would be a helluva lot 'greener', too.
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 366
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/31 00:20:11 (permalink)
    David_NYC

claracamille

The video also shows the soda water syphon & the metal pumps for syrup at the Market Square Soda Fountain in Kinsman, Ohio.
    I now have to ask what you define as a "Fountain coke". Around here, sodas that come out of those modern machines are called fountain sodas. If you are not talking about those places that still have the separate metal pumps for syrup, are you talking about the cokes from fountain dispensers such as seen on this web site?:
    http://www.vintagevending.com/dole-citation-coca-cola-soda-fountain-dispenser

I forgot all about these dispensers. We also used to have wooden dispensers in this area for Richardson root beer. The soda jerk would fill a glass with ice, then pull the lever on the dispenser to fill the glass with soda. These dispensers always mixed the same amount of syrup to water. I have not seen any of these machines in this area for years.

a real fountain coke is coke syrup and carbonated water mixed by hand by the soda jerk and not the machine. modern post mix machines are also called soda fountains, but it's not the same thing...

soda fountains originally held all syrups in the same type of container with metal pumps. by the 1950's most of the major soda companies came up with their own syrup dispensers and began requiring fountains to use them, claiming dispensing accuracy and sanitation but it really was all about advertising, since most of them were designed to clamp on the edge of the fountain close to the customer. one thing the major soda companies didn't like was the fact that their soda syrup could be mixed stronger or weaker, and they wanted uniformity for all customers... so, the automated post-mix dispenser was created.
    waiterhell
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/31 02:06:47 (permalink)

My grandfather owned and operated Brantley & Sons Pharmacy in Raleigh, NC, starting a century ago, originally on Fayetteville St and then on Hillsboro St....until the city decided to build a street extension ramp thru it.  My uncle then moved it farther out Hillsboro St across from Saint Marys College. 

He said that the trick to a real fountain Coke was that the syrup and the soda have to be chilled to the same temperature.....a moot point in today's "soda fountains" that serve as weak a mix as they can get away with for higher profits.

That marble Tiffany soda fountain and a mock-up of the original store are now a display at the North Carolina Museum of History.  That old fountain must have easily weighed at least a couple of tons...........

He made his own ice cream (written up in a NYTimes article by Studs Terkel) until he couldn't buy the super rich heavy cream any more......"Like buttah"   ; )
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/01/31 11:50:27 (permalink)
    Watched a 'Business Review' on CNBC yesterdasy about Coke. One of the segments described a fountain vending machine that offered "almost infinite variations" of Soda Flavors to the button-pushing customers. The machine used flavor cartridges the size of computer-printer-ink cartridges with a very highly concentrated syrup content.
      In addition to the many varieties...Cherry-Chocolate Coke and Pineapple Sprite for examples, the machine returned electronic marketing info to the Coca Cola Marketing center in a real-time purchase info format. This allowed not only the tracking of what flavors were being sold, but in what size and at what time of day. Interesting how complex the market research is in these products.

I wonder how many drinks one of those little cartridges will produce??
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/02/07 09:03:15 (permalink)
    Big Ugly Mich

Gotta love it. You don't use up aluminum on cans or plastic on bottles, so you can pose as an earth muffin, but the REAL benefit of tihis is it's cheaper to the merchant.

One caveat: A real cherry coke and vanilla coke are made with alcohol based syrups, which is a concern for me and my fellow Friends of Bill W., but is a concern.

Claracamille, don't the syrups kinda cancel out the diet of a diet Coke?

Big Ugly,

You are so right, I never put it together.  I'll mention it to my friend the next time we are at Steak n Shake. 
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/02/07 09:07:53 (permalink)
    David_NYC

David,

Thanks for the info about Mundt's in Madison.  It will be warmer weather before I can make a trip to Madison, but when I do the first place I will visit is Mundt's.  I don't know how I missed it before.  Madison is such a great place, so much to see, I guess I just passed it by.

By the way, Madison, IN is worth a trip.  It is a river town with many beautiful homes,many in the National Register.  Great shopping, restaurants.  Plan on spending at least 1 day there.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/02/07 09:40:32 (permalink)
    Clara,
    Link your visit to Madison to the BBQ "RIBBERFEST" that has become a major event in August. We enjoy a great evening of 'lawnchair concerts' and good 'Que each Summer.
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1067
    Re:Fountain cokes 2010/02/08 13:45:21 (permalink)
    If you're making a special trip to Madison to go to Mundt's, be sure to call ahead.  They are open "seasonal" hours, and I think those hours are limited on weekdays.  The last time we drove through there on our way to Beaumont Inn (on a Monday in April or May, as I recall), it was closed.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1