Frankies vs. Blackies

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
Geed
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
2003/10/31 07:49:12 (permalink)

Frankies vs. Blackies

All my life I have been a fan of Frankies hotdogs here in CT. One day I decided to try Blackies hotdogs to see what all the hub-bub was about. Well, needless to say, I will never be going back to Blackies. The hotdogs were really nothing to write home about - although I do have to say that the relish is good. I personally do not like skin or natural casing on my hotdog. Also, the person at the counter was very rude to me. When I placed my order I asked for 2 hotdogs, a order of fries, and a coke. Ha! The counter man glared at me and in a horrible tone of voice says "We don't serve fries here. If you want fries go to Frankies."!! At that moment I should have just got up and walked out but since my manners were better than his I decided to stay and try the dogs. Like I said, nothing special at all. My father has the Blackies relish recipe so I'll never have to step foot in that place again.

I find Frankies hotdogs much more tastier. And I absolutely love that sweet-hot relish and their warm fixing made from red sauce and sweet onions (I forget what it is called). The curley fries are to die for and their cheeseburgers are pretty good also.

How about you? Are you a Blackies or a Frankies fan?

67 Replies Related Threads

i95
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2003/10/31 08:00:34 (permalink)
    Former Pixies' front man Frank Black is surely benefiting from some sort of royalties from this thread...
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2003/11/13 23:48:41 (permalink)
    Being a choice between those two places, I would choose:
    Super Duper Weinie or Rawley's in Fairfield.
    Merrit Canteen in Bridgeport.
    Paul's in Milford.
    Danny's in Stratford. (because he uses Kuhn's chili)
    Ducky's in Asbury Park, NJ (does it still exist?)
    J.K.'s in Danbury
    Yacco's in the Allentown, PA. area.

Tomct
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/03/14 15:14:51 (permalink)
    Blackies all the way! For other Blackies relish fans, they sold jars of it around Christmas, and plan to do so again in the Spring. I've been looking for copy cat recipes for years, but so far no good success.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18660
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/03/14 16:07:58 (permalink)
    Where in Connecticut are Frankies and Blackies?
    Edwaste
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/03/15 08:46:30 (permalink)
    Frankies has a few franchises in the CT area. One in Orange CT. I think there's still another one in Waterbury. Blackies has a review here in Roadfood.

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/03/15 09:08:31 (permalink)
    Geed... So share the recipe (relish)with us!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/03/15 09:51:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Edwaste

Frankies has a few franchises in the CT area. One in Orange CT. I think there's still another one in Waterbury. Blackies has a review here in Roadfood.

I'll be darned. Blackie's has been there since 1928 and I never heard of it despite growing up in the New Haven area.
    Michael Stern
    • Total Posts : 1034
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/03/15 10:43:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

I'll be darned. Blackie's has been there since 1928 and I never heard of it despite growing up in the New Haven area.

Michael ... same for me! I thought I had done thorough research on Connecticut hot dogs over the years; and somehow, Blackie's eluded me until fairly recently. I love their dogs, and the place, and their relish especially, to wit:

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/03/15 11:00:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Stern

quote:

quote:

Michael ... same for me! I thought I had done thorough research on Connecticut hot dogs over the years; and somehow, Blackie's eluded me until fairly recently. I love their dogs, and the place, and their relish especially, to wit:

Oh, you're hurting me.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/03/15 11:02:12 (permalink)
    I sure would like that recipe for blackies relish, too!
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/05/07 23:51:12 (permalink)
    Michael -

Frankie's in Orange is on the Post Road at the corner of Meloy Road.

Blackie's is in Cheshire on Route 70 near the Waterbury line.

Next time you're in Stratford, try a long dog at the Cricket.
    It's on the corner of Main St and Access Rd.

Went to Silver Lake in Berlin today.
    10 inch Rosol's dog
    split and grilled with chili and onions - $3.75.
    not worth it.
    Rev.Bucky
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/05/16 16:31:50 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, you're hurting me.

Hurt you, Nearly killed me... In the immortal words of Homer Simpson "Me so hungy". I'll take two of those dogs, and a side o' chips, Extra large coke please!!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/05/17 19:56:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rev.Bucky

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh, you're hurting me.

Hurt you, Nearly killed me... In the immortal words of Homer Simpson "Me so hungy". I'll take two of those dogs, and a side o' chips, Extra large coke please!!

Ya, Sterns have a way of making people hungry... Go Figure...
    Roadfoodwarrior
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/06/05 09:32:04 (permalink)
    Frankies is frankly disgusting. Frankies is to hotdogs what McDonald's is to hamburgers..yuck. if deep fried dogs is your thing they are passable. I'd give Frankies a 4

Blackies relish and ambience rock. How can you beat eatting a dog in an 80 year old converted gas station or eatting at a restaraunt that closes on Fridays all year round because of the whole no meat on fridays lent thing and how much it mattered in long ago times. The dogs are decent. As a kid growing up( 1970s) my Mom told me that the owners once donated jarred relish to a JC charity auction. They then bought the relish back....the only place you get that relish is Blackies lol. I'd give Blackies a 7

If you want a real dog go to the Glenwood Drive In in Hamden and ask for one dog burnt. It comes to you with blackened skin from the REAL grill and glistening with juices...mmmmmmm a full out 10
    John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/06/05 20:30:20 (permalink)
    Never been to Blackies or Frankies, but if I'm not mistaken, Blackies deep fries their dogs also. The dogs in the picture at the Glenwood Drive in look delicious. Similar to what the charbroiled dogs at Syd's in Union, N.J. look like. I can't wait to try these dogs. They might turn out to be my favorite Conn. dog. I remember reading about a tasting sometime back involving Conn. hot dogs. Super Duper Weenie and the Glenwood Drive In were tied for first place. Both different styles, as SDW is beef and pork, while Glenwood's is all beef. Do they use Hummel's?
    Roadfoodwarrior
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/06/22 10:02:44 (permalink)
    Frankies deep fries there dogs in a fryolater at high tempatures. Blackies boils in peanuit ol I believe then tosses them on the grill a sec
    fizz67
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/07/16 02:08:58 (permalink)
    Hey Guys,
    Go to the Mr. Macs Canteen in Monroe if ya like hot dogs! They have the hot chili that tastes good and I think they use Hummels? It is hidden in Toll Gate plaza on rte 25 towards Newtown. They opened another in Milford in the old Bess Eaton Donuts place b4 the Milford Hospital. I was told they are the original owners of the Merritt Canteen in Bpt. and sold it a couple of years ago. I knew the place (Merritt in Bpt.) changed last time I was there a couple of months back. Most all the stafff looked new except the 1st class ..tch that was rude as usual taking my order. They even put up a rules for ordering sign???It looked pretty dirty and the other workers were on cell phones and stood there as my food got cold! What a shame! I tied Frankies and give it a 4 as well and never went to Blackies yet. If in Fld. I would do a Rawleys dog before a Super Duper Weenie as S Duper is too messy and the rolls are lame! the $ are up ther too! Must be a ffld thing. As for cheeseburgers Mr. MAcs has a 1/3 pounder now that almost fills ME up! I like the Bacon egg and cheese too on a port for breakfast!! My other Cheesburg favorite is "the Doodle" (Yankee)in New Haven. I can eat 6 easy as they are light but real good!
    long dog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/07/18 11:07:34 (permalink)
    fizz -

you're correct.

Merritt Canteen was sold, and the sons of the original owner are the operators of the Mr. Mac's locations in Milford and Monroe.

Monroe opened last fall, and Milford opened in the spring.

And, yes, they do use Hummel's.
    Fried, then grilled for a nice snap.
    postmd
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/07/22 07:44:16 (permalink)
    I live in Atlanta now, but make a trip to CT at least once per year. My trip always includes at least one lunch at Blackie's. I have never had, no been able to recreate that relish. As far as ordering, you just hold up the number of fingers for the number of dogs you want. They are fried on the grill with peanut oil. If you are only ordering dogs and a drink, your order will take about 15 seconds. And you don't order a coke at Blackie's, you order a birch beer. I cannot find birch beer in the south. Frankies is too fast food. Not a bad dog, but generic.
    robvad38
    Junior Burger
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/07/29 11:09:44 (permalink)
    There are THREE Frankies in Waterbury , and another in Bristol, to go along with the ones mentioned so far. I've always found them to be very good. Their chili dogs are nothing special, but the bacon cheese dogs are fantastic. Blackies is a good dog, no more no less. The relish is the whole thing about that place. If your a relish fan, its worth the trip. If you're NOT a relish person, you're not missing anything. On a side note, Al's in Naugatuck has one of my favorite dogs in the area. The HIPPO DOG, with bacon cheese chili and kraut. Its wicked good. But to keep with the thread, I perfer frankies over blackies any day of the week.
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 424
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/08/02 13:07:02 (permalink)
    I made my first stop at Blackie's 7/31/04. The dog and the relish were acceptable. BUT for my money they are not as good as either Roscoe's Big Dog or Capital Lunch.

MGS1
    Junior Burger
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/08/02 13:21:55 (permalink)
    Hello all! I'm new at this site so I'm still trying to find my way around. We went Rutt's Hut in Clifton, NJ over the weekend and we loved it. Try it, deep fried dogs and an absolutely delish relish. Also tried the chile, my husband lovred it. Go there....
    puffh68
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/08/03 23:53:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fizz67

Hey Guys,
    Go to the Mr. Macs Canteen in Monroe if ya like hot dogs! They have the hot chili that tastes good and I think they use Hummels? It is hidden in Toll Gate plaza on rte 25 towards Newtown. They opened another in Milford in the old Bess Eaton Donuts place b4 the Milford Hospital. I was told they are the original owners of the Merritt Canteen in Bpt. and sold it a couple of years ago. I knew the place (Merritt in Bpt.) changed last time I was there a couple of months back. Most all the stafff looked new except the 1st class ..tch that was rude as usual taking my order. They even put up a rules for ordering sign???It looked pretty dirty and the other workers were on cell phones and stood there as my food got cold! What a shame! I tied Frankies and give it a 4 as well and never went to Blackies yet. If in Fld. I would do a Rawleys dog before a Super Duper Weenie as S Duper is too messy and the rolls are lame! the $ are up ther too! Must be a ffld thing. As for cheeseburgers Mr. MAcs has a 1/3 pounder now that almost fills ME up! I like the Bacon egg and cheese too on a port for breakfast!! My other Cheesburg favorite is "the Doodle" (Yankee)in New Haven. I can eat 6 easy as they are light but real good!
    puffh68
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/08/04 00:03:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by fizz67

Hey Guys,

Fizz,
    I agree with ya about all the places you have mentioned... Mr. Mac's Canteen is great. Not like place taken over by people who dont care *^%D*^%$D*^D* !
    I really know this....ALso another place I have tried latley is Giudas in Milldletown. Old OLD place... Place is a little run down... but fun to watch operate.... When busy service slow.... but they have raslors dogs...spelling sorry? Tbey pre boil them or some sort of hot soak in water/ butter then crisp on flat grill. Not bad tasting plus they have Hersey ice cream bar ,,,,,I enjoyed watching the action there. Prices a little high but over all good dog.
    Puff
    Rick51NH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/08/13 18:23:01 (permalink)
    Where is Capital Lunch and how do they cook their dogs?
    waltpiii
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 424
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/08/16 10:06:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rick51NH

Where is Capital Lunch and how do they cook their dogs?

The original Capital Lunch is in New Britain, CT. The have opened a Second Shop in Storrs, CT. It is on Rt 195 between I84 and the UConn campus.
    zuke
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/09/28 08:13:32 (permalink)
    Hello,
    New to this site and enjoying it.
    Hey Geed, lol i to have the recipe for Blackies relish.My dad worked there in high school and came home with it some how.I haven't been to Blackies in thirty years but they did have the best dogs and relish at that time.Service was better in the sixty's i guess.lol
    Seriousfoody
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2004/12/22 12:42:12 (permalink)
    I have heard alot about Blackies but have never eaten there, I plan to do so next week. If you are in the area, Eddie's Delicious Dogs on the Berlin Turnpike are addictive. Martin Rosol's that snap when you bite into them. They serve sauce with them,its a meat based sauce that is not spicy but perfectly goes with the hotdog. Steamed buns are a nice touch too. Stanley Golf course make a mean dog too. Go to the snack shop around back, a grilled foot long on a buttered grilled bun. Try the spicy relish.
    HiHat
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Frankies vs. Blackies 2005/01/04 18:59:51 (permalink)
    I can't believe the majority of you did not mention Rosco's Big Dog in Hartford. Its only been open for a little over a year, but definitely the best dog, meat sauce and hot pepper relish in CT. Shame on all of you who claim to be hot dog connoisseurs, but have not yet ventured to try Rosco's.
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1