Frank's Pizza Palace in Appleton, Wis.

Author
St. Louis Browns fan
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 129
2003/12/17 01:51:02 (permalink)

Frank's Pizza Palace in Appleton, Wis.

Frank's has been open since 1955, and the pizzas are made the old-fashioned way. The crust is super thin (a thicker version is available, but stick with the thin), and Frank's puts slices of cheese (not the usual grated stuff) on each pie.

Frank's makes their own sausage, pizza dough and sub rolls. The sausage pizza is addictive, and the shrimp pizza is mighty fine. Going to Frank's is a pleasant trip back in time before generic national chains ruled the pizza business.

Like many Roadfood places, Frank's has a quirk or two. They don't offer ground beef or bacon as toppings, and adding onion to a pizza costs next to nothing. This independent, family-owned pizzeria is definitely worth visiting.

5 Replies Related Threads

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Frank's Pizza Palace in Appleton, Wis. 2007/03/04 20:58:18 (permalink)
    I did a search on Appleton and followed your tip on Frank's tonight.

You are right about the sausage pizza being addictive. The only other place where I have had the wafer thin crust is Zaffiro's in Milwaukee, and I like their approach of having the extra crispy thin crust serve as a delivery system for the toppings instead of having a crust that overwhelms the ingredients.

Speaking of ingredients, I took a seat at the counter where I could watch them assemble the pies and work the oven. They really pile on the toppings, especially when someone orders "Frank's Special". Toppings were at least a couple of inches high.

And, although it is a gas burner, the big old bakery oven sure does bake them up right.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5210
    RE: Frank's Pizza Palace in Appleton, Wis. 2008/01/21 11:02:30 (permalink)
    I did a search at 411.com but couldn't find any listing for Frank's; I wonder if the name has changed. I'm going to be in Appleton this weekend and was hoping to stop in, but maybe I'll change my plans and stop at[url='http://www.crankypats.com/index.html']Cranky Pat's[/url] in Neenah instead.

Brad
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Frank's Pizza Palace in Appleton, Wis. 2008/01/21 11:59:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brad_Olson

I did a search at 411.com but couldn't find any listing for Frank's; I wonder if the name has changed. I'm going to be in Appleton this weekend and was hoping to stop in, but maybe I'll change my plans and stop at[url='http://www.crankypats.com/index.html']Cranky Pat's[/url] in Neenah instead.

Brad

It was located at 815 W College Ave last March. Telephone 920-734-9131.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5210
    RE: Frank's Pizza Palace in Appleton, Wis. 2008/01/21 12:09:50 (permalink)
    Thank you, HB; turns out that it is listed online but as "Pizza Palace", not "Frank's Pizza Palace" (and I was searching on "Frank's"). Maybe I'll try to hit both places...

Our usual choice for pizza is[url='http://www.stucs.net/']Stuc's[/url], which is good in its own right.

Brad
    NebGuy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Frank's Pizza Palace in Appleton, Wis. 2008/01/21 13:18:56 (permalink)
    I have eaten at Frank and Pat's in Green Bay many times and love the pizza. Pat's special is awesome.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1