Helpful ReplyHot!Fred's in Burlington, WI

Page: << < ..111213 Showing page 13 of 13
Author
chicagostyledog
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3376
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/13 16:21:31 (permalink)
Fred's-no, Irish Fest-yes.
Pie Diva
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/14 11:00:15 (permalink)
No for us as we are in North Carolina. So sorry to miss Fred's. And you guys of course!

post edited by Pie Diva - 2014/08/14 11:07:46
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4523
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/15 15:05:21 (permalink)
It looks like another small group at Fred's this year.  Based on the above responses the guest list looks like this:

ScreaminChicken - 1
BuddyRoadhouse - 1
X1 - 1 (maybe)
quijote - 2 (maybe)

Let's say 2:00pm as in years past.  Since I'll be alone, it's unlikely I'll continue up to Irish Fest, but would be open to other suggestions for a day in southeast Wisconsin.

We're almost out the door for Friday's Irish Fest run.  Any replies to this will be seen late tonight.

Buddy
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5664
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/15 15:42:44 (permalink)
I don't know enough about that part of the state to make any suggestions, although at one time X1 did offer to act as tour guide for a visit to Greendale.  But that's well into the Milwaukee area and not exactly close to Burlington.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2014/08/15 15:45:57
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/16 00:29:21 (permalink)
It looks like it's a no-go for me and John--too many obligations this weekend. If you come up to Milwaukee later in the day, give me a buzz on the cell, and maybe we can do a Leon's Custard or something like that.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/16 11:18:49 (permalink)
Ladies and gentlemen, the 2014 Fred's World's Best Hamburger Expedition has been postponed.  Due to some rough schedules, the only two Contingent members who were actually going to show up today (ScreamingChicken and moi) decided we'd both be better off taking a day of rest instead of fighting traffic and burning fossil fuels.

So now it's out there for discussion: When shall we reschedule and who's available?  There's still a solid two and a half months left of decent weather.  Our only commitment between now and the end of October is our daughter's wedding the weekend of September 5-7.  Other than that we're completely open and still interested in getting together.

Perhaps a Doodle Poll is called for.  Are you there abe_froeman?

Buddy
X1
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 955
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/16 14:12:22 (permalink)
Yeah. I just left you a message because I didn't see this until just now. I was unable to go today because it looks like I am going to Mykonos with family. Feel like Greek food, Buddy? Hahaha. As far as future Fred's dates, my schedule is varied, but I almost always have Fridays free, and Saturdays are best.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/16 20:26:53 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhousePerhaps a Doodle Poll is called for.  Are you there abe_froeman?
Better that your daughter be an expert on the poll than an expert on the pole, I guess.

September and October are mostly good for me with the only definitely unavailable Saturday at this point being September 13.  And if you're still planning on visiting Monroe on September 21 maybe the 20th would be a reasonable choice, since you can simply continue west from Burlington instead of going back home.  In fact, if you wanted you could take state highway 11 all the way.
quijote
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 653
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/16 21:59:47 (permalink)
For me, availability really varies from week to week. I can probably meet Friday the 22nd during the day (will know for sure in a couple of days), but Saturday the 23rd is out. Friday the 29th during the day is free for me; Saturday the 30th may work, but Saturdays can be kind of iffy. Fridays in September are out, and Saturday the 6th won't work.

Don't forget (or if you never knew, please know) that the Bay View Bash takes place on Saturday, September 13:

http://www.bayviewbash.org/

I'm not sure we'll be willing to head out to Burlington that day, but we'll be happy to rendezvous with any RF friends who come to Bay View. The Global Union takes place in Humboldt Park that same day, so there will be plenty to do:

http://onmilwaukee.com/seasonal/festivals/articles/globalunionlineup.html

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/08/17 05:18:42 (permalink)
ScreamingChicken
BuddyRoadhousePerhaps a Doodle Poll is called for.  Are you there abe_froeman?
Better that your daughter be an expert on the poll than an expert on the pole, I guess.
Yeah, imagine that embarrassing confrontation:

"Why Dad, what are you doing here?"

"Um, I was just doing some missionary work, trying to save a few wayward souls.  How about you?"

"Nothing much.  Whenever the poles get tarnished I come in and polish them up.  The girls are very appreciative."

"I'm sure they are..."

Buddy
tairoylance112
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
Flagged as Spam (1)
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2014/09/13 02:52:23 (permalink)
When you drive up, it certainly doesn’t appear to be a big place, and it’s not. Fred’s has just about a dozen tables (although they are larger than average), a full bar, and that’s about it. The decor pays homage to all of the local heroes – local coaches
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3827
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/28 15:28:01 (permalink)
I made some last-minute plans (yeah, I know...big shocker) and have decided to fly to MKE this weekend and make the trek to Fred's. I found this thread while trying to make sure that I wanted to do this, and I am fascinated how this thread encapsulates the evolution of the Roadfood forums. 

For one thing, this thread is so old, I had to go to nearly the end before I saw an actual picture of a burger from Fred's. The descriptions prior were wonderfully written, but we now operate in an Instagram-World where there are pictures of anything you could ever possibly want to see....and some things you would never want to see. It's nice to go back and, you know, read. 

Also, when the Internet archaeologists come from the future, they can identify this thread as the one where The Contingent got it's name. 

Now, if only I could figure out how to arrive at just the wrong time so that I know that they'll be closed...
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6840
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/28 18:50:39 (permalink)
The Travelin Man
I made some last-minute plans (yeah, I know...big shocker) and have decided to fly to MKE this weekend and make the trek to Fred's. I found this thread while trying to make sure that I wanted to do this, and I am fascinated how this thread encapsulates the evolution of the Roadfood forums. 

For one thing, this thread is so old, I had to go to nearly the end before I saw an actual picture of a burger from Fred's. The descriptions prior were wonderfully written, but we now operate in an Instagram-World where there are pictures of anything you could ever possibly want to see....and some things you would never want to see. It's nice to go back and, you know, read. 

Also, when the Internet archaeologists come from the future, they can identify this thread as the one where The Contingent got it's name. 

Now, if only I could figure out how to arrive at just the wrong time so that I know that they'll be closed...

Steve - They got your message and said "We Will Be CLOSED, the minute he steps off the plane"

You ever coming back to Cincy?  We still need to hit zips or Terrrys
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3134
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/28 21:48:27 (permalink)
Nice reboot of this thread TTM.

I believe The Contingent has become the oldest group of friends I've known the longest that I regular see. And I think it all began with a BBQ sauce demo at Sendiks in Brookfield. 

I'll pull some strings and keep Fred's open for you TTM.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/28 22:00:04 (permalink)
JRPfeff
I believe The Contingent has become the oldest group of friends I've known the longest that I regular see.

Or will at least admit to seeing.

TTM, if you're planning your visit for Sunday and would like a co-diner I don't have any plans, and last year's Fredsapalooza never materialized so I have some catching up to do.  Otherwise, I'll be forced to spend time with my wife...but I don't want you to feel obligated.

(Lesson #1 learned from BuddyRoadhouse: guilt works.)
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/29 02:42:13 (permalink)
Saturday has potential for us as well if you're not planning on a late morning visit.  Closer to 2pm works for us, but don't build your plans around our schedule.  We won't even know until late Friday if we can make this trip.

Come to think of it, Sunday might work for us as well.  We've got tickets to see Craig Ferguson up in Waukegan (an early Father's Day gift from my daughter, abe_froeman; thanks abe!) Sunday evening.  We could possibly do a late lunch at Fred's, then drive down to Waukegan afterwards.

TTM, give us an idea of when you're planning to stop by Fred's and we'll see if we can connect.  Of course, that's if you even want all us Contingencies around.  They've got some pretty cute waitresses at Fred's and we wouldn't want to cramp your style.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2015/05/29 05:04:01
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/29 13:05:53 (permalink)
Sorry, folks. It's not that I don't want to include you all, but I am not kidding when I said that I decided to do this trip late. I booked my flight late Wednesday night to fly in last night. That's last minute, even for me. My plan is to knock out one of the two remaining ballparks on my list to complete the 30 current parks. I think that is going to happen on Sunday, decidedly west of Milwaukee. MKE was really just my jumping off point for this trip, so I am planning to make the trek to Fred's today, swing back to Milwaukee via the Elegant Farmer and stop for Kopp's (current flavor forecast is partly sunny with a chance of chocolate chip cookie dough!) before spending this evening at Miller Park. 

I haven't 100% decided yet, but I will likely begin my trek westward following the game tonight and spend the night in/near MadCity. ScreamingChicken, perhaps you may be available for a breakfast tomorrow (Saturday) in that area?

Normally, I am all about the flexibility on my vacations, and would happily rearrange some dates to make a group outing at Fred's work. This, however, is a quick weekend getaway, and necessitates what would qualify for me as precision timing! 

OK...I'm off to Fred's. You guys wouldn't have liked it anyway. ;-)
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/29 14:45:31 (permalink)
Decidedly west...Target Field, perhaps?  I thought you'd already been there but maybe I'm thinking of Wanderingjew.

The weather will dictate my plans for tomorrow.  I'm going to the 3:10pm Brewers game so the parking lots open at 12:10pm, and if I tailgate it means leaving home about 10:30am.  However, right now the forecast looks pretty crummy so instead of tailgating I might stop for pizza before the game, which means a later (11-11:30) departure.  So depending on what time you're thinking of breakfast might or might not be doable.

Since you're heading in this direction, Crawfish Junction has a reputedly good Friday fish fry but the kitchen closes at 9pm.  I know JRPfeff likes Hog Alley in the Delafield area.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2015/05/29 14:49:44
JRPfeff
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3134
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/29 16:44:27 (permalink)
Yes Brad, Stolley's Hog Alley is a favorite for walleye and burgers.

I have developed a love of food at seedy bars and deteriorating supper clubs. It is more the atmosphere and lack of pretense than anything else. There doesn't seem to be anything like them in NC, so I hit them when I'm home.
post edited by JRPfeff - 2015/05/29 16:46:44
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/29 18:42:33 (permalink)
I couldn't imagine that I would be out that way before the kitchen closes, lest the Brewers and D-backs plan to play nine innings in under 90 minutes, but I will keep it for reference in the future.

Fred's was really good. I wasn't sure how I would feel about it since my last two burgers (and maybe the only two in the last six months) were both at Tessaro's in Pittsburgh two weeks ago.

I am currently resisting the urge to gobble up the blackberry-apple pie from Elegant Farmer that is sitting next to me (and, as I type this, I am grateful that none of you Milwaukeeans knows which rental car is the one to break in to!), while finishing up my Kopp's. On the topic of Kopp's, the chocolate chip cookie dough "flavor" is really just some cookie dough bites that they toss on top of the vanilla custard. I'm not really complaining. I just think that they're missing out having that as an everyday flavor. There is no labor involved in making extra - you just throw cookie dough bites on top of the vanilla and scoop.

Next stop - a closed-roofed (I assume) Miller Park.
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/29 22:59:32 (permalink)
Fred's makes a killer Burger, but compared to Tessaro's; that's a tough standard to live up to.  Glad you enjoyed.  It would have been better if you were surrounded by The Contingent.  we make everything taste better.

Buddy
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8538
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/29 23:15:37 (permalink)
Bacon bleu cheese burger from Tessaro's last year enjoyed with the "Pittsburgh Yinzers".........buffetbuster, Ralph Melton and icecreamchick (Lori Melton).  We don't need any fancy names.........we're all just "Yinzers"!

BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/30 00:26:49 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby nagle 2015/06/10 16:15:43
I know that Burger well!  I'm looking forward to another go around in the 2016 Pittsburgh Crawl.

Buddy
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/30 10:48:17 (permalink)
BuddyRoadhouse
Fred's makes a killer Burger, but compared to Tessaro's; that's a tough standard to live up to.  Glad you enjoyed.  It would have been better if you were surrounded by The Contingent.  we make everything taste better.

Buddy

If a place is going to advertise themselves as "The World's Best Burgers," wouldn't I compare them to some of my favorite burgers?
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI 2015/05/30 14:51:15 (permalink)
Yes, absolutely.  And Fred's is definitely up there in the realm of "Top 10 Burgers"  But there's still a lot of space between #1 and #10.  Without actually ranking them, let's just say, in a perfect world where time and distance weren't impediments, I'd have to pick the Tessaro's Burger every time.  With that in mind, I'm still glad I'm only about 90 minutes away from Fred's.

And only 30 seconds away from Paradise Pup!

Buddy
Page: << < ..111213 Showing page 13 of 13
Jump to:
© 2015 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1
-->