Fred's in Burlington, WI

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 2 of 6, messages 61 to 120 of 349
ScreamingChicken
  • Total Posts : 4737
  • Reward points : 0
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 9:36 AM
We can be early arrivals as well.  X1, Q, JRP...does 11am work for you?  That's 6 of us...if we could get 2 more we could probably lock up a pair of 4-person tables or maybe even a 4 and a 6.

What was the rated capacity of the table we had last year?  We were able to fit the 6 of us around it.

Brad

BuddyRoadhouse
  • Total Posts : 4086
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 1:22 PM
Brad, we had at least seven people last year; yourself, X1, the MFLs, the Roadhouses, and my brother-in-law, plus I can't remember if either of the Chucks or anyone else made it, so there could have been more.  We'll definitely need two tables this time around.

Also, in looking back on the earlier posts in this thread, we had the same timetable last year, coming together around 1-1:30pm, and that worked out fine table-wise.  I don't know how early folks arrived last year, but I would think we could duplicate that timing on Saturday.

Buddy
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Thu, 08/13/09 1:24 PM>

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 8:52 PM
I'm going to the Farmer's Market here in Waukesha with my mother in the morning, so I'll be along around about noon? Still have to map it out. :)

JRPfeff
  • Total Posts : 2376
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 9:15 PM
I think we'll be showing up after noon.  But I can't plan that far ahead.

stricken_detective
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 9:25 PM
It's actually not as far as I thought, I still would not expect me before noon. I've invited some friends, we'll see who gets there first. I'm drooooling (and stuck at work) for the mushroom burger in the pic.

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3095
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 10:21 PM

Cheddar, Blue

Pepperjack Bacon Jalapeno

Garlic, Horseradish

Mushroom Swiss

Green Beans

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 11:17 PM
Wow, that is so unfair.  How am I supposed to last all the way to Saturday after seeing those pictures?

Buddy

carolina bob
  • Total Posts : 3420
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 11:29 PM
I've booked a room at a motel in Burlington ( gotta get a good night's sleep after an exhausting day of riding trolleys at East Troy tomorrow ), so I'll have no trouble getting to Fred's by 11:30. I'm really looking forward to that burger!

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Thu, 08/13/09 11:40 PM
Bob,

You may also want to check out Old World Wisconsin.  Not too far out of your way, and a chance to appreciate pre-trollrey WI.

jrp

abe_froeman
  • Total Posts : 695
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Fri, 08/14/09 12:34 AM
Add two more to the head count for Saturday at Fred's!

After that, we're going down to Armenian Fest at St. Gregory the Illuminator.  They were featured in a story on NPR this week because they're having trouble finding young people to learn the skills of making the traditional Armenian pastries for the festival.  Not sure if you have to join the Armenian church to learn, but if not, sign me up!

stricken_detective
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sat, 08/15/09 12:34 PM
Count me out for today, it's just too hot to be in a non air conditioned car for that long.

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sat, 08/15/09 5:17 PM
Aiiiiiiimeeeeeee,

We're still waiting for you.  Can we order yet?

jrp

p.s. You still beat Buddy. 

ScreamingChicken
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sat, 08/15/09 7:13 PM
Great turnout today!  Let's see...

Me (2)
Abe Froeman
Mr. Maki
JRPfeff (2)
Nocarolina
ChiTownDiner (5)
X1
Quijote
Buddy Roadhouse (2)

By my count that's 16 and we basically took over the back corner at Fred's.  We were the first ones there at around 10:45 or so and the only customers in the place appeared to be friends of Fred, but after 11 more people started trickling in and as it got closer to noon the pace really picked up and before long it was packed and it was well after 1 before things started to slow down.  The Fred's staff deserves credit for managing to keep the food coming at a steady clip.

It was great to see everyone again (especially CTD); the food and the company were outstanding.  6:30pm and I'm still not hungry...

Brad
<message edited by Brad_Olson on Sat, 08/15/09 7:27 PM>

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sat, 08/15/09 7:52 PM
Brad,

You left too soon.  We returned from Gooseberry's Market with bacon covered donuts.

I haven't touched the burger I brought home with me.  Maybe a trip to Kopp's tonight.

jrp

ScreamingChicken
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sat, 08/15/09 8:20 PM
Bacon-covered doughnuts?  Sounds like we left at the right time!!

We took highway 11 all the way to Janesville and passed through Elkhorn and Delavan, 2 towns with some places that look like they might have Roadfood promise.  And the biker bar east of Janesville was advertising Chicago-style dogs.

We didn't stop at any of them.

Brad

abe_froeman
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sat, 08/15/09 8:37 PM
The maple-bacon doughnuts were sooooo good.  Like an all-in-one breakfast. 

X1, Quixote, Mr. Maki and I went out to The Elegant Farmer after Fred's.  Mr. Maki and I got some 4" pies (apple, cherry crisp and blueberry-peach), as well as some chocolate cheese; X1 has had it before and described it as cheese-fudge.  It's sitting next to me as I type and I can smell the chocolate.  I can't wait to eat some!

We set the Garmin to "avoid highways and meandered back to Green Bay Road and took that most of the way home.  It was a good trip!

Looking forward to next weekend's tour of Chicago's south suburbs!

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sun, 08/16/09 3:28 AM
Twas a fine, fine day all in all (except for all those Illinois-ing drivers clogging up the tollway-dang Flatlanders)!  We got to Fred's an hour late because of the traffic, but were happy to see everyone there, even though most of them ate before we arrived ("What?!? You cut the turkey without us???"  Sorry, that's an obscure reference for all you fans of Barry Levinson's films).

While I have been a creature of habit on my last few visits to Fred's, sticking with the amazing garlic burger, today I strayed into new territory with a horseradish burger.  I was not disappointed!  Cooked as always to an exquisite medium rare, the rich beefy flavor of the burger stood up to the pungent but not overpowering horseradish sauce and grilled onions that topped it.  The lightly toasted, bakery fresh bun could have been served at any fancy restaurant in town as a pre-dinner appetite whetter, and was an outstanding compliment to the burger it nestled.

Tater Teezers (kinda like Tater Tots spiked with jalapeno), fresh house made potato chips, and fried macaroni & cheese(!) were all excellent accompaniments to our burgers.  A frosty pitcher of Sprecher's root beer washed it all down.

Mr. & Mrs. JRPfeff rejoined the group just as we were finishing our meal, carrying dessert from Gooseberries Gourmet Market; a pair of maple frosted longjohns studded with crisp, salty, smoky bits of crumbled bacon!  Wow!  Jim and Bobbi, we can't thank you enough.

After lunch we all went our separate ways, Mrs. Roadhouse and I continuing up to Milwaukee for our (almost) annual visit to Irish Fest.  We saw some outstanding groups including fiddler supreme, Natalie McMaster, a Chicago band called Tantrum (made up of some former members of The Drovers), and a pair of local groups, Steel Bonnets and The Gleasons.  Unfortunately, these last two groups were scheduled to perform at the same time in two different venues on the fair grounds, so we only got to see half a show from each in order to see them both.  On a happy note, we ran into ChuckL50 while looking for a seat at the Steel Bonnets show, and spent the rest of the evening wandering together from stage to stage as we enjoyed performers from Milwaukee, Nova Scotia, and Ireland.

The ride home at 1:00am was considerably easier than the drive up at midday, and gas in Kenosha was at least $.10 a gallon cheaper than back home.  Not a bad way to wrap things up.  I'm counting the days until next year's rendezvous!

Buddy

P.S. I forgot to ask nocarolina, how did you like Fred's burger compared to Hackney's?  C'mon now, be honest.  I can take it, I'm a big boy.

B.
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Sun, 08/16/09 3:30 AM>

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sun, 08/16/09 10:39 AM
I bought that bacon topped donut because I thought it was stomach turning and wanted to share the experience.  I'm glad it was enjoyed by those still at Fred's anyway.

We exceeded our semi-annual recommended fried food requirement yesterday.  I think we ate every appetizer except for the fried mac & cheese (we missed that one).  The healthy fried cauliflower & green beans made up for the fried corndogs and mini-tacos.

The funnel cakes sticks with cinnamon were my favorite.

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sun, 08/16/09 2:16 PM
JRP, the fried mac & cheese was fantastic!  Somehow they managed to retain the rich creaminess of fresh, homemade m&c while encasing it a crisp breading and shaping it into a semi flat, sort of triangular shape.  That's right, these were macaroni and cheese chips!  And they were delicious.

Buddy

carolina bob
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sun, 08/16/09 2:53 PM
Buddy, my burger at Fred's was very good, one of the better ones that I've had in recent years. However, my #1 favorite burger is still the Country Burger served at the Country House in Clarendon Hills IL, with Hackney's famed Hackneyburger a very close second.   

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sun, 08/16/09 3:47 PM
Well, at least you made the effort.  I'm looking forward to trying the Country House burger next Saturday on our Chicago South Suburban Tour.  If it's that good I will be sure to be sitting down when I have my first bite as it may cause my knees to buckle.

Buddy

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2657
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Sun, 08/16/09 10:03 PM
Hi everyone -

Haven't had a chance to post photos but wanted to say a quick thnak you to everyone for the get together...16 Roadfooder's in Burlington Wisconsin...amazing! 

Great to see all of you...looking forward to more action in the near future!

We started a Larsen's Bakery for show and Bendtsen's to go including cheery, crandberry and almond kringles.

Next up, Kewpee Lunch for singles, doubles, grilled cheese, cheese fries, shakes and root beer.  The root beer was very good, creamy, home made, free refrills, chilled glasses.  The burgers were also good especilly with the grilled onion pieces.  The fries were krinkle cut and tasted like they were cooked in McDonald's oil.  Really familar taste...let down was cheese fries have a slice of American placed on top.  Pretty weak!  The shakes were really good.  Everyone was so friendly...the camera warmed their hearts.  Rumor has it prices went up a dime to compensate for the increase in miminum wage and it's the talk of the town.

As we departed onto the "under construction" street, we saw a small temporary sign right next door for Cheesecakes by Jewels LLC.  I pulled over in the gravel and we ran inside.  They has just opened and the menu was impressive.  We opted for Baileys Irish Cream and Raspberry to go.  They were so friendly also...best of luck Jewel!

Next up, Leon's Custard.  We were the first customer of the day arriving right at 11:00am - opening time.  I choose the raspberry sundae, my brother had a very mediocre chili dog, and a few scoops of butter pecan and chocolate rounded things out.  In my opinion, Kopp's is far superior.  Ran into our only sourpuss employee of the seven stop day at Leon's....hate to see how she treats the next 100 folks!

Off and running to our next stop...the Elegant Farmer in - I love the name - Mukwanago Wisconson!  It was square dance weekend with the pros demonstrating the fun dance style.  Inside, I was like a kid in candy store!  My cart had cheese curds, cherry pancake batter, thick cut bacon, vidallia onion and ham spread, warm bannana, cherry loaf with whipped strawberry butter; peach and blueberry crumble pie, flavored sodas - got the Sprecher's cherry cola Mr. Mayor, cherry cider, raspberry, blackberry and bosenberry crumble pie, huge muffins and the crown jewel - a small, but full cider baked boneless ham.  What a haul!  And I got have filled ten more carts.  An interesting special was the large bison pot pies to go.  I'll be back!

We loaded up for the 25 minute drive to Fred's Parkview in downtown Burlington.  A junping place that was packed at 1:00pm on a Saturday.  The decor was pure Wisconsin and I loved it!  We got to the back and we delighted to find two tables has been saved by the early arrivers of the group.  The appetizers were really good but both my brother and I made the big mistake of not specifying the doneness of our burgers.  Hence we were given well, well done burgers...mine with cheddar and grilled onions and his with the garlic variation.  Both were hockey pucks and did not go down well.  Afer reading Buddy's med-rare request, I kneww a return trip is necessary.

The best part about Fred's - the COMPANY!  Thanks for the warm welcome!  Great to see everyone again!

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 1:15 AM
Gregg, I am so sorry you caught the rare miss at Fred's.  I'm surprised they didn't ask you how you wanted those burgers cooked when you placed your order.  I'm not offering the well done-ness as an excuse necessarily, but given a choice, I wouldn't order my burger cooked any other way than medium rare any place I ordered from, including a fast food joint.  Fred's is well worth another trip, and next time remember to be specific!  I might even need to accompany you just to make sure you do things properly.

Buddy

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 8:18 AM
Gregg (if that's really who you are), you were hosed.  In the 3 times I've been to Fred's, I've never specified doneness for my burger and the most cooked I've been served is a medium.  I don't know what the story was with your burgers, maybe a new cook took over.  I suspect they would have prepared you another burger if you'd pointed it out.

It was great seeing what's left of you.  I'm hoping you are up for the brat-fest.

Jim

X1
  • Total Posts : 937
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 8:32 AM
I suppose I should add my kudos.
It was great seeing everyone, but especially Gregg. If I'd have known you had a problem with that burger, I would've taken it back for you and had it re-made. As Jim said - they would have done it for you.

I can't remember all the appetizers we ordered and shared, but what I remember is:

Fried Green Beans, Fried Crisps (fried cheddar cheese curds) Fried spicy pickles, Tater Teezers, Parmesan potato chips, Parmesan fries, fried cauliflower, mini corn dogs, mini tacos....hmm...I think I'm forgetting a couple.

I had the Cajun Cheeseburger with bacon. As usual, I remembered too late that I wanted to order Jalapeños on top, too. I ordered it med rare/rare, and it came that way - perfect. The meat was spiced and juicy, and they added a dash of Cajun spice on top of the pepperjack cheese, too. Awesome.

We commandeered two tables of 6 from 11.30 AM - 'til after 2.30 We ate in shifts...ordering "just another of this" and "Just one more of that". I believe the proper term would be "grazing".

ScreamingChicken
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 9:49 AM
I noticed that as the day went on my unspecified-doneness burgers seemed to get more cooked.  I started with a Cajun burger before everyone arrived and it was a nice medium-rare.  The garlic burger I had next was a little more done but still pink, and the blue cheese burger I finished with was definitely medium (but still good).  Coincidence or not, it happened in proportion to the size of the crowd and the activity in the kitchen.

Brad

saps
  • Total Posts : 1553
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 12:22 PM
How are they about kids there? I'll be coming through there on Wednesday, 8/19, between 5 and 5:30.

John

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 12:25 PM
saps

How are they about kids there? I'll be coming through there on Wednesday, 8/19, between 5 and 5:30.

John

Kids are welcome and not out of place.  There were toddlers at Fred's on Saturday.

ScreamingChicken
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 12:44 PM
John, Fred's is a bar and does allow smoking if that's something you're concerned about.  Although we didn't notice any when we were there Saturday.

Brad

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 1:14 PM
John,

You should also be aware that WI law allows parents to serve alcoholic beverages to their minor children.  But I don't think that's what you had in mind.

Jim

ChiTownDiner
  • Total Posts : 2657
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 2:47 PM
saps

John

saps -

We had my son and nephew and there was a parade of small ones using the restrooms...no problems.  They may need to reach the table to order shots or beers!!!

mayor al
  • Total Posts : 15073
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 3:23 PM
I think we need to come up with a catchy "Group Name" for the Chicago-Milwaukee folks. This group is doing fine at sharing events in the Metro Chicago area ! 

The Glee Club has members from many parts of the country, but tends to focus their activity on Southern (including Texas) food locations. 

So come up with a group identifier... I thought "Windy"  as in Windy City or better yet, "Breaking Wind" might be appropriate, but perhaps some of you guys may have a better 'Label'!!
<message edited by mayor al on Mon, 08/17/09 3:25 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 3:45 PM
Um, wow.  I guess we can give that some thought.  I can tell you one thing for sure, even with my sense of humor, I will NOT be voting for "Breaking Wind"!

Buddy

P.S. Since both of our great cities lie on Lake Michigan, maybe something incorporating the words "Third Coast".  I've referred to us as the "Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent", maybe we become "The Third Coast Contingent".  Feedback?

B.

X1
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 4:26 PM
I agree, Buddy.

Windy is too Chicago-oriented (excludes the Cheeseheads), and I wouldn't go for "Breaking Wind", either.

TCC (Third Coast Contingent) works, actually. The use of "Third Coast" for this region has grown in popularity over the past year.

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 4:37 PM
Cleveland already owns the Third Coast name, can't use that.  Really.

Breaking Wind works, especially considering that Milwaukee is a Native American word for "Place Where it Stinks."

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 5:07 PM
And Chicago is a word from the local Native American tribes for "stinking onion", referencing the wild onions that were abundant here before we replaced it with asphalt and air pollution.

Still, "Breaking Wind"?  I dunno, you're gonna have to do a better job of selling me on that one.  And besides, how did Cleveland manage to appropriate "Third Coast"?  Don't get me wrong, I love Cleveland.  Two of my favorite restaurants in the country are in Cleveland.  But how do they deserve the "Third Coast" designation over us?  I mean, Chicago is the third largest city in the country.  Plus, the length of coastline from Chicago to Milwaukee is far more deserving of the term "Third Coast" than that little strip of shore Cleveland occupies on Lake Erie.

They own the name, huh?  Well, maybe it's high time for the Cheeseheads and the Flatlanders to get together and take it back!

Who's with me on this one?

Buddy
<message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Mon, 08/17/09 5:15 PM>

mayor al
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 5:30 PM
How about considering something a bit more "social" rather than physiologic or geographic ??

Using the 1920's as a theme,  and Al Capone as a fine upstanding Roadfooder, The Mob is a bit "rough", and "The Gang" smacks of current social problems.  "Lakers" is being used elsewhere. .... " ok, here's a suggestion..."The Midway Mob" !!    Thoughts? " ??

Remember as you consider this important decision...The Glee Club started out as the "West Tennessee BBQ Appreciation  Society and Glee Club". So expect that whatever you select may evolve into something a bit more 'useable' to the mainstream!
<message edited by mayor al on Mon, 08/17/09 5:36 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 8:20 PM
I've got no objection to somehow incorporating the words, "mob" or "gang" into some new group nickname.  Keep the ideas coming.

Buddy

X1
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 8:40 PM
I don't care if Cleveland *thinks* it's The Third Coast. They don't "own" the name, unless there's a copyright somewhere that I don't know about.
We're not a city or a state - we're a group, therefore, we can use the name. And I agree with Buddy, anyway. Cleveland? The Third Coast? I don't think so.
Milwaukee even has an online magazine called ThirdCoastDigest.

BUT, having said that - How's about Midwest Mafia? Midwest Mob?
LM Mafia (Lake Michigan)? And, we could always keep and officially be the WIIL Contingent.
Oh - how 'bout the ILWIs?

JRPfeff
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 8:57 PM
Buddy - I understand that you Northsiders are used to third place (actually anything other than first place).  But up here in the Land of Vincent T. we set a higher standard, winning isn't a sometime thing, yadda, yadda. 

Frankly, I find subjugating myself, even in jest, to the east or west coast to be offensive.  Other than that, great name.

And you know what Groucho said about clubs.

Jim

myterry2
  • Total Posts : 526
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 9:08 PM
Fred's is good...but not great.

mayor al
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 9:08 PM
X1-  Would we call you guys  "The Illi-Willies"????

X1
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 9:13 PM
It's getting worse!!!!!

MilwFoodlovers
  • Total Posts : 3095
Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 9:34 PM
The Ralphette Culinary Society?
After that retired soft drink bottler, Ralph Capone who made his fortune in the Prairie State and lived a peaceful retirement in the Dairy State.

Ralph Capone From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ralph "Bottles" Capone Sr. (January 12, 1894 - November 22, 1974) was a Chicago mobster and an older brother of Al Capone. Ralph got the nickname "Bottles" from his involvement in the beverage industry.

Born Raffaele James Capone, Ralph Capone was brought to Chicago by his brother Al and placed in charge of the Chicago Outfit's bottling plants during Prohibition. The Outfit was attempting to monopolize non-alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (specifically ginger ale and soda water, commonly used in mixed drinks) during this period when the sale of alcohol was banned. Ralph made large profits for the Outfit and became the dominant soft drink vendor other than Coca-Cola during the 1933 World's Fair. In April 1930, Ralph was included in Frank J. Loesch's "public enemies" list.
Following Al's conviction for tax evasion in 1931, Ralph remained with the Outfit. He hosted several high-level Outfit conferences from Al's residence in Palm Island, Florida. As the manager of Chicago's Cotton Club, Ralph was reportedly involved in syndicate gambling and vice districts. In 1935, Ralph was convicted of tax evasion.
In many ways, Ralph was a front man for the Outfit. Authorities once described him as an "elder statesman" of the Outfit. In 1950, the United Press described Ralph as "…in his own right … one of the overlords of the national syndicate which controls gambling, vice, and other rackets". In actuality, Ralph held relatively little power in the Outfit and the National Crime Syndicate. This finally became evident during his testimony before the U.S. Senate Kefauver Committee in 1950. His nephew Alphonse Capone Jr. later changed his notorious name to Ralph but was called "Sonny" by his Capone relatives. The Chicago Outfit which at the time was run by Sam Giancana was taking care of Sonny financially, as they would the widows of Chicago Oufit members. He was trying to start a restaurant called Sonny's Grotto in Miami Beach, Florida. It was agreed that Sonny would still receive his usual stipend, but the request for $24,000 was turned down by Sam Giancana while it was agreed upon by Murray Humphreys, Gus Alex and Frank Ferraro. The restaurant would later go bankrupt. A month after Ralph's Senate testimony, his nephew, Ralph Capone, Jr. committed suicide by swallowing cold tablets and vodka.
In the 1930's Ralph purchased a home and later a tavern and resort in Mercer, Wisconsin. The tavern was named "The Rex Bar". After his release from prison, he moved to Wisconsin and lived there until his death.
On November 22, 1974, Ralph Capone Sr. died of natural causes in Hurley, Wisconsin. He was survived by his wife Madeleine M. Capone. He was cremated at Park Hill Cemetery in Bloomington, Illinois. His widow Madeleine eventually remarried Serafino "Suds" Morichetti. "Suds" had been "Bottles" Capone's best friend and long-time business partner.

BuddyRoadhouse
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Mon, 08/17/09 11:17 PM
myterry2

Fred's is good...but not great.

myterry, we eagerly await your suggestions for our next outing.  Who do you like for a burger?

Buddy

X1
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 5:43 AM
No kidding.

myterry, you can't just drop a statement like that and run. Not on Roadfood.

Please, tell us - where do you go for great burger, and how are they better than Fred's?

quijote
  • Total Posts : 643
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 9:38 AM
Hey all, I thought I'd jump in and say how much I enjoyed the day at Fred's on Saturday. It was great seeing people I had met already, and it was a pleasure meeting others, such as the ChiTown gang, for the first time. It was also nice interacting more with people I had met but didn't get much of a chance to talk to previously--Abe, Mr. Maki, and others. I love being around such a spirited group of people who enjoy both the exotic and the mundane that the culinary world has to offer.

I too enjoyed my burger immensely, but next time I'll go with a 1/2 pounder instead of a 1/4 pounder: medium-rare tends to fare better in the larger burgers, I think. (There's more of it, thus more medium-rare flavor!)  The apps were delicious, too, especially the deep-fried mushrooms (though I admit to being a devotee of the deep-fried mushroom in general).

It looks like Burlington has a few other places worth exploring--I didn't get to Adrian's Custard, but have it on good authority that it's worth trying. Next time!

The stop at Elegant Farmer was fun. I had to restrain myself from getting pies and other sweets, but enjoyed the samples provided throughout the store. I did purchase some of the best strawberries I've had in the past few years: they actually smell and taste like strawberries, something that evades Driscoll's.

I wish I could make the South Chicago tour and the Bratfest, but I'm hoping to join up with y'all again in fall. Maybe a Madison or Milwaukee event? Or even a tour of a Chicago neighborhood? Lots of good possibilities to consider.

quijote
  • Total Posts : 643
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 9:54 AM
Some good names for the Chicago-Milwaukee contingent have been floated, though let's try to avoid anything with "breaking" or "wind" in it.....

Other possibilities include: Central Coast, Upper Coast, Illisconsin, Chiwaukee, Western Lake Michigan Corridor, Prairie Badgers, Speakeasy or the Speakeasies (for mob connection)

mayor al
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 11:03 AM
Speaking as an "outsider" to this group (but with a vested interest in the territory), I think the Speakeasies has a nice 'ring' to it!

carolina bob
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 11:12 AM
I like quijote's "Chiwaukee" suggestion. It certainly describes our group's geographical base. 

saps
  • Total Posts : 1553
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 11:24 AM
But the Milwaukeeans might counter with Milcago.

abe_froeman
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 12:17 PM
I'll second/third/whatever the Chiwaukee suggestion!

X1
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 12:23 PM
The only reason I don't like Chiwaukee or any variation is because the IL/WI Contingent are not just from Milwaukee and Chicago, but all points in the states.

X1
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 12:24 PM
Oh, and FWIW, I don't mind The Speakeasies. It's fun.

stricken_detective
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 12:26 PM
Chiwaukee sounds like a Chihuahua puppy mill.

I myself am enjoying how Third Coast Mafia rolls off my tongue. I don't want to hear about how it defames Italians as I am a guido myself.

Speakeasy Crew works just as well.

X1
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 12:38 PM
I'd go for Third Coast Mafia.

We'll have marshmallow guns instead of Tommy guns!!

stricken_detective
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 12:53 PM
YES!!!!!!! My boss' birthday is today, we almost got her one!!!

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 1:55 PM
kland01s
  MFL, I don't think I have ever drooled over photos so much! Those burgers had all of my favorite add ons... blue cheese...horseradish...garlic...heaven!!!
Burgers? Fred's chips are the stuff! Big Beautiful Mich and I went to State Fair on the 16th. We both work on Saturdays. Sorry we missed the bash.

Big Ugly Mich
  • Total Posts : 1302
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 2:12 PM
quijote
 Some good names for the Chicago-Milwaukee contingent have been floated, though let's try to avoid anything with "breaking" or "wind" in it.....

Other possibilities include: Central Coast, Upper Coast, Illisconsin, Chiwaukee, Western Lake Michigan Corridor, Prairie Badgers, Speakeasy or the Speakeasies (for mob connection)
How about  PBB (Packer-Bear Brigade) or BPP (Bear-Packer Posse)? The Brewers and the Cubs have too much history off the field, and let's not forget that the term "cheesehead" was coined by a White Sox player. Since it's about food, how about IBC (Italian Beef and Custard, delicacies from each region)?

<message edited by Big Ugly Mich on Tue, 08/18/09 2:18 PM>

X1
RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI - Tue, 08/18/09 3:10 PM
No sports references!

Change Page: < 123456 > | Showing page 2 of 6, messages 61 to 120 of 349