The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Fred's in Burlington, WI

Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 12, messages 91 to 120 of 349
ChiTownDiner

Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 2:47 PM (permalink)
saps

How are they about kids there? I'll be coming through there on Wednesday, 8/19, between 5 and 5:30.

John

saps -

We had my son and nephew and there was a parade of small ones using the restrooms...no problems.  They may need to reach the table to order shots or beers!!!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15057
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 3:23 PM (permalink)
    I think we need to come up with a catchy "Group Name" for the Chicago-Milwaukee folks. This group is doing fine at sharing events in the Metro Chicago area ! 

The Glee Club has members from many parts of the country, but tends to focus their activity on Southern (including Texas) food locations. 

So come up with a group identifier... I thought "Windy"  as in Windy City or better yet, "Breaking Wind" might be appropriate, but perhaps some of you guys may have a better 'Label'!!
    <message edited by mayor al on Mon, 08/17/09 3:25 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
      Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 3:45 PM (permalink)
      Um, wow.  I guess we can give that some thought.  I can tell you one thing for sure, even with my sense of humor, I will NOT be voting for "Breaking Wind"!

Buddy

P.S. Since both of our great cities lie on Lake Michigan, maybe something incorporating the words "Third Coast".  I've referred to us as the "Milwaukee/Chicago Contingent", maybe we become "The Third Coast Contingent".  Feedback?

B.

X1

• Total Posts: 937
        Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 4:26 PM (permalink)
        I agree, Buddy.

Windy is too Chicago-oriented (excludes the Cheeseheads), and I wouldn't go for "Breaking Wind", either.

TCC (Third Coast Contingent) works, actually. The use of "Third Coast" for this region has grown in popularity over the past year.

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2366
          Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 4:37 PM (permalink)
          Cleveland already owns the Third Coast name, can't use that.  Really.

Breaking Wind works, especially considering that Milwaukee is a Native American word for "Place Where it Stinks."

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 5:07 PM (permalink)
            And Chicago is a word from the local Native American tribes for "stinking onion", referencing the wild onions that were abundant here before we replaced it with asphalt and air pollution.

Still, "Breaking Wind"?  I dunno, you're gonna have to do a better job of selling me on that one.  And besides, how did Cleveland manage to appropriate "Third Coast"?  Don't get me wrong, I love Cleveland.  Two of my favorite restaurants in the country are in Cleveland.  But how do they deserve the "Third Coast" designation over us?  I mean, Chicago is the third largest city in the country.  Plus, the length of coastline from Chicago to Milwaukee is far more deserving of the term "Third Coast" than that little strip of shore Cleveland occupies on Lake Erie.

They own the name, huh?  Well, maybe it's high time for the Cheeseheads and the Flatlanders to get together and take it back!

Who's with me on this one?

Buddy
            <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Mon, 08/17/09 5:15 PM>

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 5:30 PM (permalink)
              How about considering something a bit more "social" rather than physiologic or geographic ??

Using the 1920's as a theme,  and Al Capone as a fine upstanding Roadfooder, The Mob is a bit "rough", and "The Gang" smacks of current social problems.  "Lakers" is being used elsewhere. .... " ok, here's a suggestion..."The Midway Mob" !!    Thoughts? " ??

Remember as you consider this important decision...The Glee Club started out as the "West Tennessee BBQ Appreciation  Society and Glee Club". So expect that whatever you select may evolve into something a bit more 'useable' to the mainstream!
              <message edited by mayor al on Mon, 08/17/09 5:36 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 8:20 PM (permalink)
                I've got no objection to somehow incorporating the words, "mob" or "gang" into some new group nickname.  Keep the ideas coming.

Buddy

X1

Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 8:40 PM (permalink)
                  I don't care if Cleveland *thinks* it's The Third Coast. They don't "own" the name, unless there's a copyright somewhere that I don't know about.
                  We're not a city or a state - we're a group, therefore, we can use the name. And I agree with Buddy, anyway. Cleveland? The Third Coast? I don't think so.
                  Milwaukee even has an online magazine called ThirdCoastDigest.

BUT, having said that - How's about Midwest Mafia? Midwest Mob?
                  LM Mafia (Lake Michigan)? And, we could always keep and officially be the WIIL Contingent.
                  Oh - how 'bout the ILWIs?

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2366
                    Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 8:57 PM (permalink)
                    Buddy - I understand that you Northsiders are used to third place (actually anything other than first place).  But up here in the Land of Vincent T. we set a higher standard, winning isn't a sometime thing, yadda, yadda. 

Frankly, I find subjugating myself, even in jest, to the east or west coast to be offensive.  Other than that, great name.

And you know what Groucho said about clubs.

Jim

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                      RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 9:08 PM (permalink)
                      Fred's is good...but not great.

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 9:08 PM (permalink)
                        X1-  Would we call you guys  "The Illi-Willies"????

X1

Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 9:13 PM (permalink)
                          It's getting worse!!!!!

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                            Re:Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 9:34 PM (permalink)
                            The Ralphette Culinary Society?
                            After that retired soft drink bottler, Ralph Capone who made his fortune in the Prairie State and lived a peaceful retirement in the Dairy State.

Ralph Capone From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ralph "Bottles" Capone Sr. (January 12, 1894 - November 22, 1974) was a Chicago mobster and an older brother of Al Capone. Ralph got the nickname "Bottles" from his involvement in the beverage industry.

Born Raffaele James Capone, Ralph Capone was brought to Chicago by his brother Al and placed in charge of the Chicago Outfit's bottling plants during Prohibition. The Outfit was attempting to monopolize non-alcoholic beverages and soft drinks (specifically ginger ale and soda water, commonly used in mixed drinks) during this period when the sale of alcohol was banned. Ralph made large profits for the Outfit and became the dominant soft drink vendor other than Coca-Cola during the 1933 World's Fair. In April 1930, Ralph was included in Frank J. Loesch's "public enemies" list.
                            Following Al's conviction for tax evasion in 1931, Ralph remained with the Outfit. He hosted several high-level Outfit conferences from Al's residence in Palm Island, Florida. As the manager of Chicago's Cotton Club, Ralph was reportedly involved in syndicate gambling and vice districts. In 1935, Ralph was convicted of tax evasion.
                            In many ways, Ralph was a front man for the Outfit. Authorities once described him as an "elder statesman" of the Outfit. In 1950, the United Press described Ralph as "…in his own right … one of the overlords of the national syndicate which controls gambling, vice, and other rackets". In actuality, Ralph held relatively little power in the Outfit and the National Crime Syndicate. This finally became evident during his testimony before the U.S. Senate Kefauver Committee in 1950. His nephew Alphonse Capone Jr. later changed his notorious name to Ralph but was called "Sonny" by his Capone relatives. The Chicago Outfit which at the time was run by Sam Giancana was taking care of Sonny financially, as they would the widows of Chicago Oufit members. He was trying to start a restaurant called Sonny's Grotto in Miami Beach, Florida. It was agreed that Sonny would still receive his usual stipend, but the request for $24,000 was turned down by Sam Giancana while it was agreed upon by Murray Humphreys, Gus Alex and Frank Ferraro. The restaurant would later go bankrupt. A month after Ralph's Senate testimony, his nephew, Ralph Capone, Jr. committed suicide by swallowing cold tablets and vodka.
                            In the 1930's Ralph purchased a home and later a tavern and resort in Mercer, Wisconsin. The tavern was named "The Rex Bar". After his release from prison, he moved to Wisconsin and lived there until his death.
                            On November 22, 1974, Ralph Capone Sr. died of natural causes in Hurley, Wisconsin. He was survived by his wife Madeleine M. Capone. He was cremated at Park Hill Cemetery in Bloomington, Illinois. His widow Madeleine eventually remarried Serafino "Suds" Morichetti. "Suds" had been "Bottles" Capone's best friend and long-time business partner.

BuddyRoadhouse

RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Mon, 08/17/09 11:17 PM (permalink)
                              myterry2

Fred's is good...but not great.

myterry, we eagerly await your suggestions for our next outing.  Who do you like for a burger?

Buddy

X1

RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 5:43 AM (permalink)
                                No kidding.

myterry, you can't just drop a statement like that and run. Not on Roadfood.

Please, tell us - where do you go for great burger, and how are they better than Fred's?

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                                  RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 9:38 AM (permalink)
                                  Hey all, I thought I'd jump in and say how much I enjoyed the day at Fred's on Saturday. It was great seeing people I had met already, and it was a pleasure meeting others, such as the ChiTown gang, for the first time. It was also nice interacting more with people I had met but didn't get much of a chance to talk to previously--Abe, Mr. Maki, and others. I love being around such a spirited group of people who enjoy both the exotic and the mundane that the culinary world has to offer.

I too enjoyed my burger immensely, but next time I'll go with a 1/2 pounder instead of a 1/4 pounder: medium-rare tends to fare better in the larger burgers, I think. (There's more of it, thus more medium-rare flavor!)  The apps were delicious, too, especially the deep-fried mushrooms (though I admit to being a devotee of the deep-fried mushroom in general).

It looks like Burlington has a few other places worth exploring--I didn't get to Adrian's Custard, but have it on good authority that it's worth trying. Next time!

The stop at Elegant Farmer was fun. I had to restrain myself from getting pies and other sweets, but enjoyed the samples provided throughout the store. I did purchase some of the best strawberries I've had in the past few years: they actually smell and taste like strawberries, something that evades Driscoll's.

I wish I could make the South Chicago tour and the Bratfest, but I'm hoping to join up with y'all again in fall. Maybe a Madison or Milwaukee event? Or even a tour of a Chicago neighborhood? Lots of good possibilities to consider.

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
                                    RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 9:54 AM (permalink)
                                    Some good names for the Chicago-Milwaukee contingent have been floated, though let's try to avoid anything with "breaking" or "wind" in it.....

Other possibilities include: Central Coast, Upper Coast, Illisconsin, Chiwaukee, Western Lake Michigan Corridor, Prairie Badgers, Speakeasy or the Speakeasies (for mob connection)

mayor al

• Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                      RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                      Speaking as an "outsider" to this group (but with a vested interest in the territory), I think the Speakeasies has a nice 'ring' to it!

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                        RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                        I like quijote's "Chiwaukee" suggestion. It certainly describes our group's geographical base. 

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                          RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                          But the Milwaukeeans might counter with Milcago.

abe_froeman

• Total Posts: 694
                                            RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                            I'll second/third/whatever the Chiwaukee suggestion!

X1

• Location: Milwaukee, WI (Ex-NOLA)
                                              RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 12:23 PM (permalink)
                                              The only reason I don't like Chiwaukee or any variation is because the IL/WI Contingent are not just from Milwaukee and Chicago, but all points in the states.

X1

RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 12:24 PM (permalink)
                                                Oh, and FWIW, I don't mind The Speakeasies. It's fun.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                                  RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 12:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  Chiwaukee sounds like a Chihuahua puppy mill.

I myself am enjoying how Third Coast Mafia rolls off my tongue. I don't want to hear about how it defames Italians as I am a guido myself.

Speakeasy Crew works just as well.

X1

RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 12:38 PM (permalink)
                                                    I'd go for Third Coast Mafia.

We'll have marshmallow guns instead of Tommy guns!!

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
                                                      RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                                      YES!!!!!!! My boss' birthday is today, we almost got her one!!!

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                                        RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                                        kland01s
                                                          MFL, I don't think I have ever drooled over photos so much! Those burgers had all of my favorite add ons... blue cheese...horseradish...garlic...heaven!!!
                                                        Burgers? Fred's chips are the stuff! Big Beautiful Mich and I went to State Fair on the 16th. We both work on Saturdays. Sorry we missed the bash.

Big Ugly Mich

• Total Posts: 1302
                                                          • Location: Trevor, WI
                                                          RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 2:12 PM (permalink)
                                                          quijote
                                                           Some good names for the Chicago-Milwaukee contingent have been floated, though let's try to avoid anything with "breaking" or "wind" in it.....

Other possibilities include: Central Coast, Upper Coast, Illisconsin, Chiwaukee, Western Lake Michigan Corridor, Prairie Badgers, Speakeasy or the Speakeasies (for mob connection)
                                                          How about  PBB (Packer-Bear Brigade) or BPP (Bear-Packer Posse)? The Brewers and the Cubs have too much history off the field, and let's not forget that the term "cheesehead" was coined by a White Sox player. Since it's about food, how about IBC (Italian Beef and Custard, delicacies from each region)?

<message edited by Big Ugly Mich on Tue, 08/18/09 2:18 PM>

X1

RE: Fred's in Burlington, WI Tue, 08/18/09 3:10 PM (permalink)
                                                            No sports references!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910.. > >> | Showing page 4 of 12, messages 91 to 120 of 349

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com