Frederick, Md

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5416
2003/07/26 06:02:19 (permalink)

Frederick, Md

I'll be spending a good part of Thursday the 31th of July in Frederick. Any suggestions on a good place to eat there? Prefer no chains or Costco

Diner? Grill? solid american food.

Thanks,

Mike

35 Replies Related Threads

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13480
    RE: Frederick, Md 2003/07/26 07:51:33 (permalink)
    Frederick where

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Frederick, Md 2003/07/26 10:52:38 (permalink)
    Mike,

Give Famous Daves BBQ a try. It's a small chain, but it's barbeque in Maryland, which is a rarity. Good sampler platter, with 4 or 5 kinds of sauce on each table. Brisket not bad for the east. Located on north side of Rt. 40 (Patrick ST.) just west of Rt. 15.

Also good old fashioned custard stand, Freeze King, Dari Freeze, not sure of name north of downtown. Will try to look at map and post more detail.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    RE: Frederick, Md 2003/07/26 23:46:46 (permalink)
    Paul, in the topic title I specified Frederick, Md. Sorry I should have included it in the subject body as well.

Signman, I've eaten at Famous Dave's several times, they do a good job for a chain / commercial establishment. They use real wood and a real smoker. I've seen it being used.

As to the custard stand, Please do provide more info.

Anyone else for info on Frederick, Md.???
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Frederick, Md 2003/07/27 01:08:21 (permalink)
    Mike,

It's been a few years since I've been there. It was off Moller which runs north from downtown. I can't seem to find it in the yellow pages, so possibly it is out of business.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1109
    RE: Frederick, Md 2003/07/27 01:16:36 (permalink)
    I usually recommend Tauraso's, It's on N. East street http://www.taurasos.com/ . It is basically Italian but at Lunch they also have burgers & sandwiches. The pub area is really relaxed and if it's not a real scorcher out the patio is very nice.

Just up the street from Tauraso's, I think it's at the corner of Church & East is a realy great bakery, wonderful bread, rolls and pastries to die for.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/04/06 20:44:10 (permalink)

Ressurecting this nearly eight-year-old thread with a new-to-me dining find in the one-time
    home of Civil War figure, Barbara Fritchie, that being Frederick, Maryland's over 20-year-old:

5640 Urbana Pike, Frederick, MD 21704, 301/662-4233

While I've heard about this truly roadside restaurant for years (and raves about its seafood), I had never made it there until this past Saturday and I'm sure glad I finally did. All lump meat, broiled crabcake sandwich (@ $ 9/$ 10), a pound of shrimp steamed in beer ($ 16), nice oniony hush puppies and Yuengling beer on-tap were the order of the day for Mrs. i95 and I and each was simply perfect. Tavern-type albeit family-friendly environment on the inside and with seasonal outdoor seating. Hard crabs, too (which appeared to be their specialty), although I'll wait for the local blues later this season.

Also easy to find off of I-70 for anyone traveling east or west between Baltimore and Hagerstown, Maryland (exit # 54 toward Market Street / Rt. 355; bare right on New Design Road; and right on Rt. 355 [a.k.a. Urbana Pike] @ one mile to May's on right).

FYI.    

Louis
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 729
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/04/09 08:14:42 (permalink)
    Try the Barbara Fritchie Candystick Restaurant.  It was in the Stern's 1992 Roadfood edition.  It still looks like something out of the 1950s, as the picture on their website will attest.

http://barbarafritchie.wordpress.com/
    Tfshaw
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/04/19 13:49:05 (permalink)
    Unfortunately Freez King closed a little while back. If you want BBQ the best place to go in Frederick is the Blue Truck. It's south of town on Grove Rd. between Rt. 355 and Rt. 85. It's literally off the back of a truck in a gravel parking lot but you can't get better in Frederick.   

If you're looking for something downtown then Brewer's Alley is a decent brewpub with sandwiches, wood-fired pizza, and other things
    post edited by Tfshaw - 2011/04/19 13:51:06
    i95
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/04/19 14:32:36 (permalink)
    Tfshaw

Unfortunately Freez King closed a little while back.

And so, too, their beloved "Cottage Ices." 

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/04/19 16:46:40 (permalink)
    SPEAKING OF BARBRA FRITCHIE, SOME PEOPLE SAY HER FAMOUS `SHOOT IF YOU MUST THIS OLD GREY HEAD IS TOTAL MYTH..IN MY FAMILY WE KNOW IT WAS ACTUALLY  MY (SEVERAL TIMES) GREAT GRANDMOTHER WHO ACTUALLY STUCK HER HEAD OUT AND SAID THE FAMOUS WORDS...AT THE TIME FRITCHIE WAS IN HER 90'S AND GREAT GREATGRANDMA WAS TAKING CARE OF HER...SO THERE!

post edited by californyguy - 2011/04/19 16:56:08
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 55
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/08 00:59:14 (permalink)
    Frederick is a very good place to satisfy a hunger for roadfood.  Lots of options and lots of good restaurants, from holes in the wall to one of the best restaurants in the US.  I've summarized the roadfood-iest places below: 

Already Mentioned In This Thread:
    Barbara Fritchie House - Since 1910, this is the roadfood poster child.  OK, but too many things like 'green beans from a can' for my taste.
    May's - A little too casual with the quality for my taste, and virtually every option is breaded and deep fried. 
    Brewer's Alley - A reliable choice, typical "micro brewery in an old building" place.  
    BBQ: Blue Truck - Haven't been.
    Famous Dave's - A chain.  As mentioned, the food is pretty good though. Just wish it had less "flair".
    Tauraso's - now Danielle's, haven't been since the name change.

Not mentioned above:
    Red Byrd - this should be on every roadfooder's itinerary.  Opened in 1958 and now run by a few great ladies, this place does the stuff you'd expect - fried chicken, pork chops, etc.  Maybe only lacks a signature dish.  This is about 10 minutes west of Frederick.
    Dutch's Daughter - this is really roadfood in a pretty package.  Can't say I recommend it highly, but if you spend time in Frederick, you should get to know this place. 
    Liberty Road Seafood - about 10 minutes north of Frederick, I prefer this place to May's.  It seems to offer more preparation options and the crabs have been top notch. 
    Black Hog BBQ - my favorite BBQ place, offering different BBQ styles, corn bread, slaw, etc.  Great stuff. 
    Mountain View Diner - one of those NJ-style diners that has 1001 things on the menu, this place is priced a bit high but 'corrected' by the portion size if you're into that kind of thing.  Note about the website: the Moutain View offers just that - but NOT like on the website!
    Roy Rogers - Although a fast food chain, there's some interesting history there, and the surviving chain is owned/operated right from Frederick MD (except the ones in highway travel plazas) with good quality control.  They can make a decent breakfast, fried chicken and roast beef sandwiches.  If you have to get fast food, this is a worthy option with 3 locations around frederick.
    gregys
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/09 20:00:20 (permalink)
    There is a good pizza & or spagette place downtown.

I usually eat at Hard Times Cafe, and I love the food, and pool, and good times.

Greg
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10178
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/09 20:13:03 (permalink)
    A co-worker of mine swears by the previously mentioned Liberty Road Seafood.  His daughter moved to Frederick a few years ago and that is there one "must eat" whenever they go to visit.

I have eaten at Barbara Fritchie's several times in the last few years and the food, even the pie is average at best.  The best things I can say about it is they have a great giant candystick sign out front and they carry the hard to find graham cracker pie.
    i95
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/09 22:40:01 (permalink)
    buffetbuster

A co-worker of mine swears by the previously mentioned Liberty Road Seafood.  His daughter moved to Frederick a few years ago and that is there one "must eat" whenever they go to visit.

They are not alone
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/10 19:07:25 (permalink)
    Yeah, Liberty Road is good, good stuff.   I spoke with the manager (owner?) at the end of last season and he seemed amazingly in touch with the crab "culture" - knowing the signs at the end of last season that the next season of blue crabs would be good.  It may just be him listening to his supplier - but the point is he listens and cares.    I've been to May's, Cantler's, the Crab Claw in St Michaels, Buddy's in Annapolis, Mike's in Riva, Harrison's on Tilghman and others I can't recall.   They may all beat Liberty Seafood in ambiance, but none beat them on the crabs (though none are really all that bad).   Crab CAKES, of course, are a different matter. 

I've been disapppointed in the Barbara Fritchie house in my few trips.  

To me "roadfood" generally has a few elements, in descending order of importance:
    1. Quality food at reasonable prices, served unpretentiously.
    2. Local specialties, or at least mimics of things that might be cooked at home.
    3. Pedigree.
    Barabara Fritchie seems to lean on the pedigree, somewhat on the local specialties, but not so much on the quality. 

What I find surprising is the lack of any mention on this site of the Red Byrd in Keedysville.  Maybe the quality there was bad in the past too, but I've only been since the new owners and was very impressed with the quality.   That said, Red Byrd scores very well on all three points above, and if you like a down-home "roadfood" experience, I recommend it over the much heralded Barbara Fritchie house anyday. 

As for Hard Times Cafe - they are COMPLETELY hit or miss by location.  Some locations are run well, while others are not; they are a victim of their own rapid expansion.   For instance, the Germantown HTC has been consistently bad in my experience, but the Rockville (nelson st) consistently good.   I've been to the one on the Golden Mile but couldn't really get a sense of good/bad from that one experience.  I guess I don't recall it being bad...  Note that HTC is franchised by the same group spreading Five Guys around the globe. 
    i95
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/10 20:22:54 (permalink)
    Jaybo

Yeah, Liberty Road is good, good stuff.   I spoke with the manager (owner?) at the end of last season and he seemed amazingly in touch with the crab "culture" - knowing the signs at the end of last season that the next season of blue crabs would be good.  It may just be him listening to his supplier - but the point is he listens and cares.    I've been to May's, Cantler's, the Crab Claw in St Michaels, Buddy's in Annapolis, Mike's in Riva, Harrison's on Tilghman and others I can't recall.   They may all beat Liberty Seafood in ambiance, but none beat them on the crabs (though none are really all that bad).   Crab CAKES, of course, are a different matter. 

That's a great crab house listing, Jaybo, and I, too, have been to most. As stated on the above hyperlinked thread, I, as well, am a fan of Liberty Road Seafood. I only wish they had outdoor seating (and am frankly surprised they don't with the large amount of surface parking they seem to have).

That said and of all the crab houses listed above, I have surprisingly found the best crabs at the landlocked Captain Pell's in Fairfax, Virginia (10195 Fairfax Boulevard). I was truly shocked to arrive at this conclusion but as I posted about the place here, I had driven past both the old and new Captain Pell's for years before finally stopping in fairly recently only to discover a crab house which has perfected its craft serving hot, steamed, fresh and meaty blue crabs. Simply fantastic.

But don't take my word for it. Take his

rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/11 07:27:16 (permalink)
    Captain Pell's is a Fairfax legend.....I used to live about 3 miles from the old location, and would stop by and grab a dozen or so at least once a week during the summer.

They are simply put, some of the best in the area. I haven't been to the new location, but I'm sure the quality is still the same. Not sure how I would like the new upscale digs....the old place was a dive, and I mean a broke down falling apart dive, and I loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/11 08:58:21 (permalink)
    i95 
    I only wish they had outdoor seating (and am frankly surprised they don't with the large amount of surface parking they seem to have).

Yeah, not sure why they don't have a deck.  Maybe the road is too loud, or maybe they consider their porch to serve that need.   Might be a zoning thing, or maybe they really are maxed out on their land. 
    Will have to try Pell's.  Looks like the entrance to a theme park attraction!
    Jay
    i95
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/11 09:17:39 (permalink)
    Jaybo

Indeed. The building used to house a long-gone Hungarian restaurant (Old Budapest) and doesn't quite feel right as a crab house but if you look past that (and the former true dive surroundings of the old Captain Pell's), you'd be hard-pressed to find better crabs this side of the Chesapeake Bay.

rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 07:06:10 (permalink)
    i95

Jaybo

Indeed. The building used to house a long-gone Hungarian restaurant (Old Budapest) and doesn't quite feel right as a crab house but if you look past that (and the former true dive surroundings of the old Captain Pell's), you'd be hard-pressed to find better crabs this side of the Chesapeake Bay.

The building was also a Chinese Buffet for many years......Capt Pell's steamed shrimp are also hard to beat!
    brisketboy
    • Total Posts : 1097
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 10:29:11 (permalink)
    Freinds don't let freinds eat at Famous Daves...or even suggest it.
    eruby
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 649
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 13:55:16 (permalink)
    Tfshaw
    .... Unfortunately Freez King closed a little while back....
    I read on another, unrelated board:

"The Freez King on East Street has reopened under new ownership."

Dated May 11.

i95
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 14:35:12 (permalink)
    eruby
    I read on another, unrelated board:

"The Freez King on East Street has reopened under new ownership."

Dated May 11.

HOLY-MOLY!!!!! This is great news (I adore this place's "cottage ices") and it's not just reopened, it's DEFINITIVELY new & improved as you can see from both the place's new web site, menu and photos. (Local news story on this week's re-opening here, too.)

I can't wait to check it out. Thanks, eruby! (Now, if they would just reopen that duckpin bowling alley across the street!)
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 16:26:09 (permalink)
    Some other ideas for Frederick, MD, one of my favorite places in Maryland:

1. Volt -- very fancy, you may need a reservation for dinner but you should be able to walk in for lunch - www.voltrestaurant.com
    2. Dutch's Daughter - already mentioned, but this is an endorsement, especially the cream of crab soup.  Suggest Dutch's Dungeon, their casual dining option, for a light lunch - http://www.dutchsdaughter.com/
    3. The Tasting Room - interesting menu, changes with the seasons - http://www.tastetr.com/default.asp . Nice to walk around downtown Frederick before or after your meal.
    4. Griff's Landing - a local bar and grill, the crabcakes are good - http://www.griffs-landing.com/ 
    5. Brewer's Alley - local brew pub, good for a quick burger or sandwich -  http://www.brewers-alley.com/
    6. Gladchuk Brothers - old-school dinner club-type restaurant, huge local fan base - http://gladchuks.com/

There are many more options -- Frederick is a great walking-around city and you will find a lot of dining options in and around downtown. 

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 17:01:06 (permalink)
    I've been told the Waffle House in Frederick is supposed to be good.  
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 17:06:12 (permalink)
    Scorereader

I've been told the Waffle House in Frederick is supposed to be good. 

Good to know!  Have never been to a Waffle House, will have to try it some time.....
    i95
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 17:37:00 (permalink)
    Ivyhouse

Volt -- very fancy, you may need a reservation...

...and a second mortgage.

post edited by i95 - 2011/05/12 17:38:55
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/12 19:19:56 (permalink)
    One of these days maybe I will get a chance to stop in Md, unfortunately since I am usually on the way to my friends place up in Pennsyltucky who likes to shoot, I bring mine along, so I am usually unable to legally stop in Maryland even for gas.  (according to the Federal peaceable journey laws )

Too bad, a lot of good roadfood up there but my time off from work is limited enough that I have barely scratched the surface in Virginia yet anyhow.  (remind me sometime to go into the difference between having many vacation days with the ability to actually get a day off)

Who knows I need to head up to Winchester again soonish, I could always make a run north from there
    Jaybo
    Hamburger
    Re:Frederick, Md 2011/05/21 00:09:26 (permalink)
    Ivyhouse

Some other ideas for Frederick, MD, one of my favorite places in Maryland:

1. Volt -- very fancy, you may need a reservation for dinner but you should be able to walk in for lunch - www.voltrestaurant.com
    2. Dutch's Daughter - already mentioned, but this is an endorsement, especially the cream of crab soup.  Suggest Dutch's Dungeon, their casual dining option, for a light lunch - http://www.dutchsdaughter.com/
    3. The Tasting Room - interesting menu, changes with the seasons - http://www.tastetr.com/default.asp . Nice to walk around downtown Frederick before or after your meal.
    4. Griff's Landing - a local bar and grill, the crabcakes are good - http://www.griffs-landing.com/ 
    5. Brewer's Alley - local brew pub, good for a quick burger or sandwich -  http://www.brewers-alley.com/
    6. Gladchuk Brothers - old-school dinner club-type restaurant, huge local fan base - http://gladchuks.com/

There are many more options -- Frederick is a great walking-around city and you will find a lot of dining options in and around downtown. 

Agreed.  Some notes:
    • For those not in the know, Volt is considered by many to be MD's finest restaurant - think Michelin stars.  So also think $$$, as has been pointed out.  The Tasting Room is probably second in Frederick, which is still saying a lot, and is also $$.
    • I actually prefer Barley and Hops (out by the box stores along south rte 355) to Brewer's Alley.  B&H has a cool kids thing where they can make their own pizza (assemble the sauce and cheese on the crust) before baking. 
    • If we're branching beyond roadfood, my favorite Frederick place is Isabella's in downtown.  Tapas in a turn-of-the-century building...I never miss their siganture grilled asparagus.  Their Paella is also really good.
    Never been to Gladchuk Bros or Griff's Landing.  Will have to check them out.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1