Freezing product

Author
OzDogs
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 174
2006/10/28 02:03:02 (permalink)

Freezing product

I've read that freezing product decreases quality. At first I was freezing product and thawing on location. Now I'm buying on Friday to serve Saturday & Sunday and refrigerating. But sometimes there's excess and I end up re-freezing unopened product.

My regluar Hoffy premium beef franks seem to take this like champs. I can't tell the difference in taste or texture in service.

The Vienna "fire dogs" are different. Not as tighly packaged, they bleed out moisture. And the big secret, my wholesaler or somebody has already frozen this product by the time I get it. Not as tighly packaged, water freezes right out of the product. That puts it on second freeze if I freeze it. Whatever I thaw that doesn't get sold is dog food.

On a further note, the Hoffy franks shrink a bit but still fit the bun and I'm finding I can leave those suckers in for the full holding time and they look great. The fire dogs start to deform and get all angry-looking. This is steaming them mind you.

Anybody got any advice or input as to any of this?

5 Replies Related Threads

littlebites
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Freezing product 2006/10/28 12:40:55 (permalink)
    Vacuum seal it.
    bassrocker4u2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 534
    RE: Freezing product 2006/10/28 22:37:47 (permalink)
    i think your solution is this.....place the fire dogs in zip lock bag, fill the bag with water, then freeze. thaw in your steamer.
    we used this method for fish, many years. works great.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3308
    RE: Freezing product 2006/10/29 21:45:10 (permalink)
    Fresh(not frozen)commercial hot dogs have a shelf life of 14 days from the date of production. They must be frozen before the two week clock or they'll spoil. Once frozen, they'll be good for at least six months and should never be refrozen. I use Ziplock freezer bags. I do not recommend freezing hot dogs in water.

CSD
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Freezing product 2006/10/29 22:03:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bassrocker4u2

i think your solution is this.....place the fire dogs in zip lock bag, fill the bag with water, then freeze. thaw in your steamer.
    we used this method for fish, many years. works great.

Thats what my grandpa used to do.. He took a plastic milk jug, cut off the top, packed it with fish and water then froze.. I dont think it would be a good idea for dogs, but for raw fish it's great!
    genewj
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    RE: Freezing product 2006/10/31 19:58:29 (permalink)
    I commercial fished on the Cal. coast for 10 yrs..Standard way of keeping salmon "fresh" put into plastic bag, blast freeze..
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1