French Dip

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2003/07/21 17:44:12 (permalink)

French Dip

After seeing the French Dip sandwiches being made at Phillipes, and reading about the beef-on-weck sandwiches here, I would really, REALLY like to try one. I have two questions:

Does anyone know of a place that might serve them in Texas?

Does anyone have a good recipie to recreate them at home?

36 Replies Related Threads

BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/21 18:41:57 (permalink)
    I am going to Phillipes this Saturday evening! I can't wait!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18693
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/21 20:34:20 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

After seeing the French Dip sandwiches being made at Phillipes, and reading about the beef-on-weck sandwiches here, I would really, REALLY like to try one. I have two questions:

Does anyone know of a place that might serve them in Texas?

Does anyone have a good recipie to recreate them at home?

I don't know where you might find them in Texas, but making them is pretty easy. Just get some thinly sliced roast beef from the deli section of your supermarket, some beef stock (or canned beef broth), and some sub buns.

Add whatever seasonings you like to the stock and simmer it for a short time, then add the sliced roast beef to warm it thoroughly. Fork (or use tongs) the beef onto a sub bun, pour the stock into a dipping container, and have at it.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 00:31:53 (permalink)
    Big Glenn,

Be sure to lather on the mustard (only if you want to head to catch fire)

I love Phillipe's potato salad. It's one of the 2 best I have ever had. The other best was at Shapiros Deli in Indianapolis.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 13:09:20 (permalink)
    I took my beloved to Phillipe's for lunch shortly after Christmas, and I really enjoyed the sides, too. The homemade puddings are excellent.

Eric, Still Recalling The Look On His Beloved's Face When The Magenta Pickled Eggs Appeared.

Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 15:14:16 (permalink)
    Adding provolone or mozzerella cheese makes a french dip extra yummy!

My Mom makes the best pickled eggs that are also a magenta color. She gets a large glass pitcher, adds boiled eggs, 1 can of beets with the juice, and white vinegar. Refrigerates. Gently swirls the pitcher around from time to time to distribute the flavors and to evenly color the eggs. They are best the following day. Not sure if this originates in W. Va. where were originally from or not. I know we've been in FL for 41 years though!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2883
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 16:17:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

Eric, Still Recalling The Look On His Beloved's Face When The Magenta Pickled Eggs Appeared.

I'm afraid they will boot me off the site if I say what I am thinking.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 16:56:28 (permalink)
    Just typed in "French Dip" at Google and there are several recipes over there that sound good.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 17:01:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT
    I'm afraid they will boot me off the site if I say what I am thinking.

Elise, I'm shivering with antici......

Say it! Say it!

Eric
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 19:22:46 (permalink)
    Are you familar with the Spanish double entendre word for eggs...huevos? If not, search for "calo dictionary" and look it up.

Just imagining them either pickled OR magenta is astounding, but it is simply overwhelming to imagine your beloved's face when they appeared...pickled...and magenta.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 20:36:49 (permalink)
    French dip here in western NY usually refers to the roast beef soaked in it's own juice being served on a roll cut from french bread or baguette. There is always a cup of the beef juice on the side for dipping before each succulent bite. Yummmm!
    The roast beef on wick which is very popular in Buffalo has it served on a kimmelwick roll, a hard roll with kosher salt and caraway seeds on top. The juice cup is not typically served with this, but horseradish is available to spice it up. Hey, you guys and gals are making my mouth water. I'll have to have one of these for lunch tomorrow.
    VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 21:29:39 (permalink)
    Elise, you wicked, wicked girl.

Eric
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/22 23:28:53 (permalink)
    I'm just as the good Lord made me, sir
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/26 23:56:55 (permalink)
    Just visited Philippes for the first time today. My son and I had the Beef and Lamb Dip sandwiches. Sides were Potato and Macaroni Salads. Desert was Cheese Cake and Coconut Cream Pie. Dr Peppers to drink. Although there is a lot of history at Philippes, I was not impressed. I actually feel bad saying that for two reasons, #1-Is it me, Why don't I like this? #2-Everyone else raves about this place. I liked all the nostalgia, the decor, etc., etc. The sandwiches were bland except for the Hot Mustard. Salads were OK, Dr Peppers were warm. Desert was good can't knock that. Will I go back? Probably, just in hopes that it is better the second time around. By the way, this review is by someone that stops in the middle of the night for a Convenience Store Cardboard burger for what that's worth. Too bad they don't have a BBQ Dip Sandwich.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5466
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/27 01:56:11 (permalink)
    Logan's Roadhouse, a chain with the kitsch of an old roadhouse diner. They have buckets of peanuts in the shell on the tables and they encourage you to shuck and eat them and to toss the shells onto the floor.
    Anyways, they make a pretty decent French Dip. Their Teriyaki club steak is good too. For a chain, it is one of my preferred stops.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4090
    RE: French Dip 2003/07/28 13:33:11 (permalink)
    BigGlenn,
    I don't think you're that far off actually. I go to Phillipe's occasionally-------mainly to take visitors who haven't been there before. To me, it's a sum of the parts-----more of the whole experience and the atmosphere then any opne thing. Meat's ok but I love the mustard/horseradish. The 9 cent coffee too! Yes---there are better places for the food only but it's just a fun place to go with all the noise and "attitude" of the servers. Try it again----it'll grow ony you. Try the lamb dip also----it definitely has more flavor.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7053
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/01 01:59:06 (permalink)
    As popular as the French dip has always been, I fail to see the attraction. I have never encountered anything like it in seven years of living in France. Bread and roast beef dipped beef broth.....sorry, but give me a great Angus burger or NY deli pastrami or corned beef sandwich!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/01 03:47:14 (permalink)
    Am I the only one who thinks pastrami should not be advertised and served as a "French Dip"? It's just wrong.
    foodguy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/01 09:24:41 (permalink)
    Its more than just beef broth, its liquid beef flavor. AWESOME. The best are at THe Crows Nest on rt 17 in NJ, close to giants stadium. They have about ten beef dishes including french dip, hot roast beef, open faced roastbeef or turkey with gravey, and a great sauerbraten. Good stuff.

[|)][|)][|)][|)]
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/02 21:48:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

BigGlenn,
    I don't think you're that far off actually. I go to Phillipe's occasionally-------mainly to take visitors who haven't been there before. To me, it's a sum of the parts-----more of the whole experience and the atmosphere then any opne thing. Meat's ok but I love the mustard/horseradish. The 9 cent coffee too! Yes---there are better places for the food only but it's just a fun place to go with all the noise and "attitude" of the servers. Try it again----it'll grow ony you. Try the lamb dip also----it definitely has more flavor.

Mr Sails, Now I am on quest for the best Philly Cheese Steak in the Los Angeles Area? Any suggestions?
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/03 03:32:15 (permalink)
    Philippe's must be had before a Dodgers game. Then it takes on extra Roadfood significance. It's on the shortcut to Chavez Ravine. No waiting in line outside the gates. It's as good as a cheesesteak before and/or after a Phillies game. Without the Dodger game, Philippe's is so-so. With the Dodger game, you got yourself an outing. Someone should start a thread-- Pre-game regional sandwiches. All I can say is everything around the Cleveland and Denver ballpark sucks. If you look at Philippe's as pre-game or postgame food, you can say that Philippe's has it going on. Posiibly best sandwich outside any stadium.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/03 05:12:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

As popular as the French dip has always been, I fail to see the attraction. I have never encountered anything like it in seven years of living in France.

Do they have French fries, French toast and French's mustard?
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/03 10:05:50 (permalink)
    aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh, I agree with the poster who slammed the whole concept of the abomination calle the 'french dip'. A worthless excercise in gastro-intestinal ingestion!! When they say 'au jou'or whatever they are trying to pass off as real beef juices, what you are getting is a flavor cube in dishwater. Any dcent hunk of sliced roast beef needs nothing more than a sprinkle of salt,perhaps some horseradish and something to wrap around it. French dip,my #$@$#@
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13524
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/03 11:21:17 (permalink)
    Garykg6: I disagree with you and your thoughts around the uses of juices from the roast beef. For example, it is a great bread dip, it is great over the baked potato, it some cases, it improves a bit of dry beef and in all cases I have experienced, it taste good.

Regardless, if you don't like it, don't get it.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    goldsborscht
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/03 13:56:16 (permalink)
    The problem is not too much au jus. The problem is not enough au jus. When at Philippe's you got to ask for "Double dipped." That French roll's got to be soaked. Then you got the good stuff. Without the second dip you got meat scraps on bread. Also double your meat. Don't be cheap, especially if you're on vacation. Come on, people. In summation, wet it more and double the meat. Also, order the baked apple for dessert, not that other stuff. The cinnamon seeps to the core. And get the lemonade. Not Dr. Pepper. This ain't Texas. The lemonade ias watery, just like you're double dipped sandwich. Perfect. Order right and you alleviate problems.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    RE: French Dip 2003/08/03 20:20:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigGlenn

quote:
    Originally posted by EdSails

BigGlenn,

Mr Sails, Now I am on quest for the best Philly Cheese Steak in the Los Angeles Area? Any suggestions?

I've got ya covered! I live with the pickiest Jersey boy in the world! He even found fault with the cheesesteak I flew home from PHILLY with! When I finally brought him one from PHILADELPHIA SANDWICHES he was so excited I almost danced around and sang, "He's got it! He's got it! By jove I think he's got it!" PHILADELPHIA SANDWICHES 11112 Magnolia Blvd. North Hollywood 818-985-2593 (just East of the 170 freeway).
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3760
    RE: French Dip 2005/08/20 13:00:02 (permalink)
    Had my first go at Philippe's on my recent trip to LA. The running sentiment is that it is not the "best" french dip sandwich, and I don't know that I can argue with that. But, it is pretty darn good. EdSails and goldborscht -- it is the experience of going. The building, the servers, the historic article-covered walls, etc. Getting an iced tea for 50 cents, nine-cent coffee, and delicious deserts all make the trip. I wish I had read this thread first and asked for my sandwich to be double dipped, but overall a positive experience, which is highly recommended.

Also, for any of you other tourists among us, it is not a far walk from the Union Station -- can catch LA's version of the subway to other points in the city quite easily.

Steve
    ellen4641
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3531
    RE: French Dip 2005/08/20 17:29:46 (permalink)
    I'm glad you enjoyed Phillipe's , SteveKoe

While I liked the whole "experience" there, with the authentic old time atmosphere, my vote goes out to Cole's in downtown LA on 6th st.

(It is usually rated right up there with Phillipes , and even claims to also have invented the french dip! They also claim to be LA's oldest restaurant.)

When I went to cole's for lunch, I found I really enjoyed the actual taste of the french dip quite better than Phillipes'.........but it had too much of a dark, bar-lounge feeling to the place.... that was the only downside....

Phillipe's does enjoy more publicity, hence the much bigger crowds

ellen
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: French Dip 2005/08/20 18:04:11 (permalink)
    As a kid I'd always get the french dip if they served one. How can you not like that? Beef and bread that you dunk in a salty beefy bath...oh baby. There is a pretty nice place here that serves a good one at lunch time. They use the left over prime rib from the night before I believe. You can also order it slathered in horseradish and topped with cheese, onions and mushrooms. It's hard to go back to work after one of those.

AndreaB
    • Total Posts : 1303
    RE: French Dip 2005/08/23 12:37:48 (permalink)
    There's nowhere around here to get good French Dips so when we have them we make them at home with thin sliced broiled roast beef served on a lightly toasted, buttered baguette and we put sauteed onions, fresh horseradish, fresh pressed garlic, pepper, and Brie on them and dip them in beef broth and YAH they are good!

Andrea
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1