French Fry question

Author
BigDave67
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 81
2007/08/13 01:38:09 (permalink)

French Fry question

Do y'all prefer regular or crinkle cut fries? I love crinkle cut fries,fresh out of the fryer!

16 Replies Related Threads

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5068
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/13 01:53:47 (permalink)
    I prefer "regular" fries. Crinkle cut fries never seem to be crispy enough for me. And, I do like my fries crispy.
    Unless, they are "Texas cut fries".
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/13 02:37:58 (permalink)
    crinkle cut but I make my own with a crinkle cut serrator, sort of a wavy bladded cleaver with a handle.
    tkitna
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 626
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/13 03:07:50 (permalink)
    I'll be honest, i've never really thought about it. Is there a difference in taste to anybody? I do however like my fries soft and not real crispy so maybe its just me.
    Fieldthistle
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/17 12:51:38 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    When I bake them in the oven, I use Ore-Ida crinkle.
    Home-made that I drop in the oil, I hand cut with a medium thickness.
    When eating out, I prefer medium cut, straight fries.
    I don't really like thin straight fries as there is not
    enough meat to them.
    Also, when I make them at home, the age of the oil has much to
    do with the quality and taste of the fries, whether crinkle or straight cut.
    The best tasting fries I've had were fried in lard rather than vegetable oil,
    but that was many moons ago.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/17 14:26:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Fieldthistle

Hello All,
    When I bake them in the oven, I use Ore-Ida crinkle.
    Home-made that I drop in the oil, I hand cut with a medium thickness.
    When eating out, I prefer medium cut, straight fries.
    I don't really like thin straight fries as there is not
    enough meat to them.
    Also, when I make them at home, the age of the oil has much to
    do with the quality and taste of the fries, whether crinkle or straight cut.
    The best tasting fries I've had were fried in lard rather than vegetable oil,
    but that was many moons ago.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle

Fieldthistle,

I love the Ore-Ida crinkle cut, not the "formed" ones but the ones that are sliced as whole potato's. I always deep fry mine though..

On another note aren't you located in the Luray, Va area....? I seem to remember having a brief conversation with you here on Roadfood about Melting Pot Pizza in Front Royal...if so did you ever get a chance to give them a try?

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread, I like all frys...heck I just like deep fried stuff in general!!!!
    db1105
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/20 18:37:33 (permalink)
    Regular cut
    Saint Matt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 183
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/20 19:05:47 (permalink)
    I love crinkle cut. I don't know why, but they always taste better to me. I like them slightly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/20 20:14:30 (permalink)
    I believe the idea behind crinkle cut is to expose more surface area to the cooking fat.
    For me the theory does not work. It creates an uneven surface, thus an uneven result.

Frozen fries are not fries, crinkle or not. If you want to do them in the oven, buy real potatoes cut them up and coat with your own oil. Proceed exactly as you do with the frozen.

Real fries must be done with real potatoes, real oil and actually deep fried. An acceptable short cut is pan frying much as one would do with chicken. I cant believe people are still buying this frozen bagged stuff.

The question is, do you want a mystery bag from a huge corporation with same dedication others gave to their suppliers? First it was the pet food, then the toothpaste, then the toys.
    Are you really feeling lucky when you buy that corporate bag?

Perhaps you may want to spend a few minutes cutting up real potatoes and enjoy real fries.
    BigDave67
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/21 03:28:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

I believe the idea behind crinkle cut is to expose more surface area to the cooking fat.
    For me the theory does not work. It creates an uneven surface, thus an uneven result.

Frozen fries are not fries, crinkle or not. If you want to do them in the oven, buy real potatoes cut them up and coat with your own oil. Proceed exactly as you do with the frozen.

Real fries must be done with real potatoes, real oil and actually deep fried. An acceptable short cut is pan frying much as one would do with chicken. I cant believe people are still buying this frozen bagged stuff.

The question is, do you want a mystery bag from a huge corporation with same dedication others gave to their suppliers? First it was the pet food, then the toothpaste, then the toys.

Perhaps you may want to spend a few minutes cutting up real potatoes and enjoy real fries.
    I really like frozen fries.I think it's a stretch trying to tie them to those other products.
    rebeltruce
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 702
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/21 15:45:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greyghost

I don't cook the frozen frys in the oven, I deep fry them. While they may not be as good as a true double fried fresh french fry, (say that 5 times really fast...LOL) I find them to be quite tasty.

I disagree that you can take a potato, slice it up, coat it with oil and bake it in the oven and expect to have a fry. Not saying that they would be bad, they just don't compare to a deep fried Ore Ida crinkle cut fry, not the "crispers", but the crinkle cut frys.
    Big Ugly Mich
    • Total Posts : 1302
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/21 16:10:17 (permalink)
    I rather like the waffle fries myself, sort of an American Fry with holes in it. I could never tell the difference between crinkle cut and regular cut. I wonder why they don't make french cut fries like they do french cut beans?
    Foxyfishy14
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 192
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/28 09:46:24 (permalink)
    I like the crinkle cuts the best...they remind me of when I was a kid and we used to get them up in maine on the beach with some lunch...those were the days!
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/28 09:55:57 (permalink)
    I probably lean towards straight as I come into contact with them the most, but my favorite frie is crispy. No matter what cut.
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/28 09:57:08 (permalink)
    I'm a hamburger. I'm a hamburger.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/28 10:02:54 (permalink)
    I've gotta agree with Greyghost that crinkle cuts are usually better in theory than in practice. Typically they're served limp and underdone. Once in a while you get some that are good, hot, golden brown and fresh from the fryolator and they're great, but that's the exceptional case.

Something similar happens with "Texas" fries. They sound good, but they're usually wet on the outside and undercooked on the inside, more like an under-roasted potato than a fry. Given a choice, my safe bet is a thin straight cut, even a shoestring.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5065
    RE: French Fry question 2007/08/28 20:21:19 (permalink)
    IMO, any type of fries directly out of hot oil for less that 5 minutes (and salted) will taste good. I prefer traditional cut skin-on fries, myself. Crinkle-cut OK but not my favorite. I used to like steak cut style fries also, but the 5 minute rule is hard to observe when eating them, especially when there are other goodies to consume.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1