French Toast Frenzy

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
jerseygirl127
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 454
2005/01/29 10:00:57 (permalink)

French Toast Frenzy

I don't know if this has been a topic before or not but.. I've been told that I make awesome french toast. I don't know what's so special about it- I mean-- all I do is beat some eggs, add a little milk and vanilla and dip the bread in it and cook it.. sprinkling it with cinnamon then flipping it over and sprinkling it again..
What I was wondering was-- does anyone else out there have any other ways to fix french toast? I might like a variety and my kids might like to try something different as well..
SO bring on the french toast recipes.. PLEEEEEEEEEASE??? Thank you..

~~ jerseygirl~~

32 Replies Related Threads

ladytenor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/29 16:17:07 (permalink)
    I use the basic milk, eggs, sugar mix..sometimes I use vanilla, sometimes almond extract, sometimes orange extract. Sometimes I don't sprinkle it with anything, sometimes I use cinnamon and sometimes I use nutmeg.
    You can use regular bread (I like the Sara Lee Bread since it has more body to it) or Texas Toast if you want thicker slices. And I cook it in butter.
    harriet1954
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1154
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/29 17:26:52 (permalink)
    Have you ever made the recipe where it sits overnight in the fridge? I've made that only a few times through the years, but it came out really well. You bake it the next morning.
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/29 19:04:42 (permalink)
    I make it about the same as you but usually cut out the bread with animal shaped cookie cutters. There's nothing as satisfying as biting off a hippo's butt or a rabbit's ears in preparation for school or work.
    jeepguy
    • Total Posts : 1555
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/29 20:14:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by shaynas_mom

Have you ever made the recipe where it sits overnight in the fridge? I've made that only a few times through the years, but it came out really well. You bake it the next morning.
    "Baking" French Toast is something i've never tried. I prefer to fry in a pan.
    harriet1954
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/29 20:48:21 (permalink)
    Oh, it's really good, trust me. It bakes in its own caramelly sauce after sitting in it overnight. It's so nice.
    Stephen Rushmore Jr.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 2125
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/29 22:46:48 (permalink)
    Nothing beats deep frying french toast. Yum!
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/30 08:00:01 (permalink)
    shaynas_mom-- i've never heard of leaving french toast set overnight OR of baking it.. please include that recipe/directions for me. sounds like something i'd like to try..bet my kids would love it too.......
    thanks.
    ~~jersey~~
    harriet1954
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/30 12:19:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jerseygirl127

shaynas_mom-- i've never heard of leaving french toast set overnight OR of baking it.. please include that recipe/directions for me. sounds like something i'd like to try..bet my kids would love it too.......
    thanks.
    ~~jersey~~

Hey "Jers" - Shoot me a quick email and I'll send it right to you. I didn't see a link where I could email you first with it, and didn't want to take up a ton of room in here with it. I just saved a real nice recipe for it from Yankee Magazine online.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/01/31 17:59:06 (permalink)
    shaynas_mom-- got to personal info but when i click on "email me" nothing happens.. i've had this happen several times before-- send me a message on yahoo and i'll respond with my email addy-- i don't want to put it on here- that way just anyone can get it and i really want to avoid that.. my yahoo messanger name is jerseygirl127
    thanks..
    ladytenor
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/02/06 17:40:33 (permalink)
    Applesauce French Toast

Ingredients

2 eggs
    3/4 cup milk
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons sugar
    1/4 cup applesauce
    6 slices bread

Preparation

In a large mixing bowl, combine the eggs, milk, cinnamon,
    sugar and applesauce. Mix well.
    Soak bread one slice at a time until saturated with liquid.
    Cook on a lightly greased skillet or griddle over medium/high
    heat until lightly browned on both sides. Serve hot.

michaelgemmell
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 673
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/02/06 18:08:05 (permalink)
    The key word is "saturated." I won't order french toast in a restaurant because they mostly just quickly dip it in the egg/milk/sugar batter. Sugar doesn't appreciably sweeten the result, but instead promotes browning. When all your slices are on the griddle, pour the remaining batter onto those slices so they're really saturated. When you flip the slices, you will see a wonderful puffiness develop. Sometimes I flavor the batter with amaretto.
    spaniel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 99
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/02/06 22:56:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Stephen Rushmore Jr.

Nothing beats deep frying french toast. Yum!
    I've seen this referred to as "German Toast." Go figure!
    spaniel
    Hamburger
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/02/06 23:12:38 (permalink)
    Another twist you might try is savory french toast. I don't have a recipe, but I like to experiment by adding various grated cheeses and herbs to the egg/milk mix (using just a pinch of sugar or none at all). There are lots of tasty possibilities and it's hard to go wrong with french toast!
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/01 09:39:08 (permalink)
    I bake a Challah every Friday for the Sabbath meal and Challah ( or if you can't get Challah, Brioche) makes GREAT French Toast. The egg base of the bread along with the egg soak just give it a great richness. Plus you cut the thickness you want. I use a little vanilla, and cinnamon, fry it in butter and serve it with fresh berries and grade B maple syrup. A pot of coffee, the Sunday NY Times....perfection!
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/01 17:13:37 (permalink)
    HEY NO FAIR!!! Shaynas-mom share the wealth!! Your recipe so far sounds like how I make bread pudding..
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15245
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/01 17:42:15 (permalink)
    A week or so ago the $40 a day Rachel whoever program on the food channel was visiting Salem OR. The place she ate for breakfast made stuffed Banana French Toast. The dish was amazing. I will eat bananas, but never cared much one way or another about them. This " 3 half-sandwich" looked like you could feed a Boy Scout Troop using one order. Check out the menu and recipe on the Food Channel's website, It would be worth the effort.
    Lynn's Paradise Cafe here in Louisville makes a Pecan Praline French Toast that is quite good...but I get such a Sugar-High I get headaches after eating it. (that doesn't stop me from ordering it though).
    Check the photo on the Roadfood Review for Lynn's on this site.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/01 18:15:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Danmel

I bake a Challah every Friday for the Sabbath meal and Challah ( or if you can't get Challah, Brioche) makes GREAT French Toast. The egg base of the bread along with the egg soak just give it a great richness. Plus you cut the thickness you want. I use a little vanilla, and cinnamon, fry it in butter and serve it with fresh berries and grade B maple syrup. A pot of coffee, the Sunday NY Times....perfection!

I Heartily agree!!!! Challah is KILLER french toast---and Michael Gemelle is right---SOAKING is crucial---let the bread sit in the egg for a while and absorb it----this why whose overnight and bake in the oven ones are so good and they remind me of bread pudding as much french toast!

As for deep fried french toast---its great IF!!~!!!! you get it where its cooked in CLEAN oil---had some in a resteraunt that tasted more like the fish fry they served at dinner then french toast!
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/01 20:33:56 (permalink)
    I think the bread makes all the difference. Challah is not a staple here in western Wisconsin, but it sure sounds good! I'll have to see if I can find some one of these days. Fayze's, a local restaurant/bakery, makes European-style breads including a killer baguette. That's what I usually use. They've started serving an apple-cinnamon French toast in the restaurant that's made with their apple bread, a hefty loaf absolutely stuffed with chunks of chopped apple. Now that's good!
    tsores
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/01 21:43:09 (permalink)
    Challah makes ALL the difference. If you ain't got challah, fugeddabodit. If all these other posts are assuming white bread, just make a PB&J. The egg bread gives it flavor and body.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3300
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/02 10:23:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tsores

Challah makes ALL the difference. If you ain't got challah, fugeddabodit. If all these other posts are assuming white bread, just make a PB&J. The egg bread gives it flavor and body.

I agree 100%. I like to make stuffed French toast with challah, using cream cheese and strawberries.

4Fish, the closest challah to LaCrosse is probably in Madison at Whole Foods.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/02 10:34:48 (permalink)
    Haven't made this yet but it sure sounds good:

Baked Creme Brûlée French Toast

Chef Mark Tansey
    Partner's, Agawam MA
    You will need:
    • 1 stick butter
    • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
    • 2 tbsp maple syrup
    • 1 loaf soft Italian bread
    • 5 large eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups Half & Half
    • 1 tsp pure vanilla essence
    • 1/4 cup Grand Marnier
    Melt the butter with the brown sugar in a small heavy saucepan over a medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth. Pour into a 13x9x2 glass baking dish.
    Cut six 1" thick slices of bread from the center of the loaf, reserving the ends for another use. Arrange the slices in a single layer in the bottom of the baking dish, over the caramel sauce.
    In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, Half & Half, vanilla essence and Grand Marnier until well blended; pour evenly over the bread slices. Chill, covered, for at least 8 hours or up to one day.
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bring the bread mixture to room temperature and bake in the middle of the oven until puffed and the edges are golden brown in color (35-40 minutes). Serve immediately.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/02 10:48:22 (permalink)
    Here are some more that sound really good:

The Meranova Guest Inn's "Stuffed French Toast"

Ingredients:
    2 cups of orange juice
    2 tsp. Butter
    2 oz. of orange liquor
    3 peaches sliced
    1/2 cup of fresh blueberries
    3 eggs
    1/4 cup of milk
    Zest of 1/2 orange
    Loaf of unsliced bread
    3 tbsp. Of cream cheese
    2 tbsp. Of raspberry jam
    1/2 cup of vegetable oil

Preparation:

In a large pan reduce orange juice by 1/2. Add peaches, heat for 2 minutes, add blueberries, orange liquor (optional), heat for 1 minute, add butter, stir, and remove from heat.

In a wide bowl beat eggs, milk, and orange rind.

Slice bread 2-2 1/2 inches wide with serrated knife cut a deep pocket through the bottom edge, being careful not to pierce the sides. Stuff pocket with 1/2 cream cheese and jam.

In a large frying pan heat oil until hot, quickly dredge stuffed bread and cook until golden brown (approximately 2 minutes). Flip and cook for additional 2 minutes.

Remove and pat excess oil with paper towel. Plate and top with reheated peaches and serve immediately.

Baked Banana & Pecan French Toast (Indiv. serving)
    Custard ingredients: 2 eggs
    1/4 c milk
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1 tbs sugar
    1 tsp cinnamon
    Mix ingredients in a bowl & cook in a double boiler over at 110 degrees for about 5-min

Filling ingredients: 1/2 c sliced bananas
    1/2 c chopped pecans
    2 pieces Texas toast

Dip Texas toast in custard until completely saturated. Place bananas & pecans on one slice of Texas toast and cover w/ other piece. Top w/ small amount of banana mix for presentation. Bake in casserole dish at 350-degrees for 30-35 minutes. Toast will be lightly browned when ready. Top w/ maple syrup 2 ounces of whipped cream cinnamon & powdered sugar.

spaniel
    Hamburger
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/02 19:18:41 (permalink)
    Here's another french toast variation. This idea was used in a recipe in Cooking Light magazine (I think) a while back.

Prepare bread and egg batter as usual, but cook the french toast in a waffle iron rather than frying pan. Voila, waffled french toast!

I have to confess I haven't tried this myself because I don't have a waffle iron, but it sounded great.
    Danmel
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/03 14:29:47 (permalink)
    Well if you have a bread machine, here is my Challah recipe- it isn't hard and it is so delicious

Put your machine on the manual cycle.

Add 3/4 cup warm water, 2 eggs at room temperature, 6 tablespoons canola or corn oil, 3 cups bread flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, 1/2 tsp salt and 2 1/4 tsps yeast. run dough through manual cycle.

Remove dough, knead till smooth and e;astic- this should only take a minute or two. Heat oven to 350 and pray a baking sheet with PAM ( or give it a thin coat of oil)

Separate dough into three sections and roll each into a rope. Braid the ropes together and place on the oiled baking sheet. Cover with a cloth and allow to rise an additional 45 minutes.

Beat an egg and brush on challah. If you like you can sprinkle the Challah with poppy seeds or sesame seeds.

Bake for 35 minutes. Remove from sheet and let cool on wire rack. It is great as is, with cream cheese and of course, it makes great French Toast and Great Bread Pudding too.
    spaetzelboy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/04 20:38:44 (permalink)
    Hi gang,

Great recipes. Greetings from the Jersey Shore. There's a B&B over in Bay Head called "The Grenville" that makes (or used to make) a fabulous "French Toast with Brie". Best I've ever had. It's been a while, but as I recall it was served with a blackberry sauce and pecans . . . man I'm hungry now.

Home recipe eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, white bread - quick dunk or it gets too heavy. Lots of butter and high heat so the butter carmelizes. Hot, crunchy, yum.
    jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/05 07:21:49 (permalink)
    spaetzelboy-- see that you live in BRICK.. that's where i'm from .. my mom still lives there.. drop me an email and maybe we can chat sometime...
    "greetings from the jersey shore" thanks-- needed that.. i miss it a lot...
    email me and we'll talk..
    ~~jerseygirl~~
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/07 09:56:09 (permalink)
    I was born in Toms River and raised on the island, Barnaget bay was my backyard, I could swim before I could walk and had a boat before a bicycle.. Early morning surf fishing with the aroma of italian sausage, peppers and onions wafting down from the boardwalk. We would watch for the bakery truck and then gramppa would buy breakfast. They would cut the end from the roll, hollow out the center, stuff it with sausage, peppers, onions and tomatoe gravy, gramppa would always remind me not to tell mom I was drinking coffee... "Greetings from the Jersey shore" ...Thanks for the memories....
    spaetzelboy
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/07 12:58:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dreamzpainter

I was born in Toms River and raised on the island, Barnaget bay was my backyard, I could swim before I could walk and had a boat before a bicycle.. Early morning surf fishing with the aroma of italian sausage, peppers and onions wafting down from the boardwalk. We would watch for the bakery truck and then gramppa would buy breakfast. They would cut the end from the roll, hollow out the center, stuff it with sausage, peppers, onions and tomatoe gravy, gramppa would always remind me not to tell mom I was drinking coffee... "Greetings from the Jersey shore" ...Thanks for the memories....

Hey Dreamz,

Kudos on the culinary family portrait. I love the prologue man, can't wait to read the rest of the book!

- Chapter Two: "And then . . . the Bennies came!" " />

Where are you now dreamz?

jerseygirl127
    Cheeseburger
    RE: French Toast Frenzy 2005/03/08 06:15:27 (permalink)
    hahaha bennies.. that's funny.. man how we used to complain about them... and now that i don't live in jersey anymore-- i have been called one-- that is a major insult.. the way i figure it - once a jerseyshore-ite always a jerseyshore-ite.. you can't turn in to a bennie.. what's your thoughts on this one??

dreamz-- are you still in jersey?? love talking to jersey people.. makes me feel like home..
    give me a hollar.

~~jerseygirl~~
    (aka- deb)
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1