French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13476
2003/11/15 11:41:55 (permalink)

French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops

I got real adventuresome last weekend and pulled out the Fry daddy and got my fresh fish, scallops and raw peeled shrimp from Walmart along with some Zatarins Louisian spiced fish fry and cooked all of the above.

I had it hot out of the cooker while I watched the Tennessee VOLS do in the Miami Hurricanes. I sure do like my fish, scallops (bay) and shrimp hot. Tasted good with my football cocktails.

I stopped by Captain D's and got 8 ounces of their tartar sauce. I think it is especially good and I do not know where to buy it that good. I wish I knew their redcipe.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

17 Replies Related Threads

seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/11/15 11:58:58 (permalink)
    Sundancer: There's quite a few pretty good tartar sauces on the market, but it's easy to make your own. which will probably be better than anything you can buy. There's a lot of recipes in my cokbooks, but we are always fooling around with them, so no two batches are exactly alike.

Tartar basically consists of Mayo, onion, parsley, lemon juice, and various pickles (we like a chopped up hard boiled egg in ours).
    Try it you'lll like it.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/11/15 12:08:27 (permalink)
    Seafarer, thanks for the advice. I particularly like the idea of adding chopped up eggs. I may leave out the lemon and might add a little hot sauce.

Have you ever tried Captain D's tartar sauce? Not what they give you in the little packages which I do not like but what they serve in bulk. I like that. I'll bet it would be better with chopped up eggs.

Thanks,

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/11/15 12:25:04 (permalink)
    Sundancer: Not familiar with Capt. D, but we do sometimes buy commercial tartar sauce, but doctor it up with pickles and eggs and fresh herbs -just as easy to make your own from scratch.
    rumbelly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/11/15 22:41:39 (permalink)
    A seafood fry-up hits me in the soft spot. We make a sauce based on mayo and add tomato paste, lemon juice, hot sauces, and cornichons. These mini pickles are hard to find but worth the effort. They are tiny and sour but not dilled. I have never seen a seafood fry go any further than the kitchen door.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/11/16 07:25:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Seafarer, thanks for the advice. I particularly like the idea of adding chopped up eggs. I may leave out the lemon and might add a little hot sauce.

Have you ever tried Captain D's tartar sauce? Not what they give you in the little packages which I do not like but what they serve in bulk. I like that. I'll bet it would be better with chopped up eggs.

Thanks,

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Sundancer---dont leave out the lemon--do add the hot sauce--they work well together with the fish.
    Bona
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/12/04 16:51:55 (permalink)
    Captn D's does have great tarter sauce....i wonder what the secret is ?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/12/04 18:26:16 (permalink)
    I love Captain D's tartar sauce.

I bought some big scallops from Walmart's and I coated them with Cajun coating and deep fried them. Dadgone they were great.

Paul E. Smith
    knoxville, TN
    jmckee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1181
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/12/04 19:05:27 (permalink)
    Perhaps this is an egotistic affectation, but....When I make Tartar Sauce, I add capers and, in season (or if I'm willing to get it from a good greengrocer) finely chopped dill.

I love tartar sauce with just about all seafood.....
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/12/05 09:53:33 (permalink)
    Slightly off subject, but try tartar sauce on french fried mushrooms.
    ToddH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/12/05 10:36:16 (permalink)
    I'm with you guys. Nothing beats good fried seafood. When I was a kid, I used to like a Tarter sauce with the light green/aqua label with the pic of the flounder on it. It was either Durkee or Sauer's Tartar Sauce. There is a taste I look for in tartar sauce, it is a picklely-melding of pickles,vinegar, and something else, maybe the capers in it. Kraft comes close, although it's too sweet for my taste.
    dendan
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/12/05 10:38:42 (permalink)
    quote:

I got real adventuresome last weekend and pulled out the Fry daddy and got my fresh fish, scallops and raw peeled shrimp from Walmart along with some Zatarins Louisian spiced fish fry and cooked all of the above.

I had it hot out of the cooker while I watched the Tennessee VOLS do in the Miami Hurricanes. I sure do like my fish, scallops (bay) and shrimp hot. Tasted good with my football cocktails.

I stopped by Captain D's and got 8 ounces of their tartar sauce. I think it is especially good and I do not know where to buy it that good. I wish I knew their redcipe.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Do you just walk into Captain D's and fil up your own container I like the vinegar with mine..
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6645
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/12/05 11:26:40 (permalink)
    I like to add to my homemade mayo: chopped dill pickles, onion, capers and chopped CHIPOTLES, the hot with a kick of smoke is delicious with fried seafood! Try it!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2003/12/05 12:44:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dendan

quote:

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Do you just walk into Captain D's and fil up your own container I like the vinegar with mine..

I would never walk in a restaurant and take something. Captain D's in Knoxville will give you a container of the tartar sauce if you buy a side. I love their cole slaw so I buy it and request tartar sauce. Every one I have been to so far will do the same.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    mouse59
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2012/06/07 19:05:36 (permalink)
    Hello,
    My cousin was the manager of our Captain D's back in the late 90's. She told me the way they made their tartar sauce. Now this is not the same as today (they buy it in bulk now). It makes a lot of tartar sauce but you can try to cut it down to size for a family. They used 10# of yellow onions, peeled and put in the food processor and chopped. One gallon of whole dill pickles, drained, and again put in the food processor to chop. And one gallon of Kraft Mayo. She did specify to use Kraft mayo. Mix it all together and chill overnight. That was how Captain D's had them make it. I remember they would make 4 batches each night for the next day. She said the important part was for it to meld overnight. If they ran out and had to make it fresh, it was okay but just not as good. Hope this helps. You may have to experiment with the amounts to get it right but should be able to get it.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8317
    Re:French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2012/06/07 21:37:05 (permalink)
    Thanks, mouse59! Great recipe!!!
    Tex-Max
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    Re:French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2012/07/10 21:24:24 (permalink)
    Good Tartar Sauce is definitely hard to find.  If you don't have capers use stuffed green olives.  I received this tip from our fishing guide of Galveston Bay many years ago.  Her recipe was the best tartar sauce. Unfortunately I never wrote it down, thought my memory would last a little longer.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    Re:French fried catfish, shrimp and sea scallops 2012/07/11 11:20:19 (permalink)
    We have a recipe from the old Joy of Coking for deep fried mushrooms (small buttons are best) that is delicious with tartar sauce. 
    Let mushrooms marinate for  a few minutes sprinkled with lemon juice and salt. Make a beer batter for deep frying and let stand in the refrigerator for about 2 or 3 hours. Dip mushroms in batter, fry, serve immediately sprinkled with chopped parsley and a dish of tartar on the side for dipping.
    Cheers, John 
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1