The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

 French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 53 of 53
Author Message
Xfireguy

  • Total Posts: 105
  • Joined: 2/26/2005
  • Location: Hartford, CT
RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Thu, 03/2/06 4:07 PM (permalink)
Does anyone know the temperature to fry fresh cut fries. I want to "blanch" them first then fry them so i'll need 2 friolators. What are the 2 temps?
 
#31
    rjb

    • Total Posts: 451
    • Joined: 12/15/2003
    • Location: Bronxville, NY
    RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Thu, 03/2/06 4:10 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Xfireguy

    Does anyone know the temperature to fry fresh cut fries. I want to "blanch" them first then fry them so i'll need 2 friolators. What are the 2 temps?


    I do 320 for the first and 365 for the second. First fry temp depends on the amount and temp of the fries.
     
    #32
      V960

      • Total Posts: 2429
      • Joined: 6/17/2005
      • Location: Kannapolis area, NC
      RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Thu, 03/2/06 7:10 PM (permalink)
      see fourth post for temps.
       
      #33
        blizzardstormus

        • Total Posts: 274
        • Joined: 8/1/2004
        • Location: Atlanic, IA
        RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sat, 03/4/06 3:10 PM (permalink)

        Thanks for everyone's input on this subject.

        We have been making our own fries for about 6 weeks now. After experimenting, we came up with the following procedure: we peel & cut our potaoes and hold the fries in ice water. We do not double-fry due to time constraints. We drain the fries & fry. Our fries are not as crispy as some would like, but most of our customers are very pleased with the change.

        Next to the fries is our homemade pork loin sandwich which is considered to be one of the top 5 tenderloins in the state of Iowa by the Iowa Pork producers.
         
        #34
          RibRater

          • Total Posts: 1862
          • Joined: 3/3/2006
          • Location: Johnson City, TN
          RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sat, 03/4/06 3:41 PM (permalink)
          fabulous looking plate of chow.....nice job blizzardstormus
           
          #35
            lleechef

            • Total Posts: 6259
            • Joined: 3/22/2003
            • Location: Gahanna, OH
            RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Mon, 03/6/06 3:37 PM (permalink)
            Looks lovely and quite edible!
             
            #36
              Fieldthistle

              • Total Posts: 1948
              • Joined: 7/30/2005
              • Location: Hinton, VA
              RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Tue, 03/7/06 5:27 AM (permalink)
              Hello All,
              Blizzard, I'd like to order a plate of your pork loin sandwich and fries now.
              Great looking. I don't mind lest crispy home fries as long as they are hot
              when served.
              Take Care,
              Fieldthistle
               
              #37
                waffleslave

                • Total Posts: 4
                • Joined: 3/15/2006
                • Location: Charlotte,NC, NC
                RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Fri, 03/17/06 8:25 AM (permalink)
                Yes, they are worth the effort, but instead of peeling them select a potatoe with a thin "clean" skin and invest in a potatoe cutter that will make it faster. Soaking potatoes in water will just help soak out the flavor. Keeping the peel on will keep it in.
                 
                #38
                  Jeza

                  • Total Posts: 18
                  • Joined: 3/17/2006
                  • Location: Auckland , NZ, XX
                  RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Fri, 03/17/06 11:38 PM (permalink)
                  If you seriously want good fries look at getting a mondolin cutter. A good French one will have a life time guarantee on it. They cut fries consistantly, and evenly.

                  We also cut our own fries and it ended up reducing the food cost substantially enough to put someone on to do it. However we are not a large restaurant by any means so catering to the size of our clientelle for fries is easier. We also serve croquettes, baby potatoes and other starch substitutes so fries aren't always on the high end of orders for sides.
                   
                  #39
                    andreashafer

                    • Total Posts: 17
                    • Joined: 2/24/2006
                    • Location: thurmont, MD
                    RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Fri, 03/17/06 11:53 PM (permalink)
                    hey there Xfireguy you dont need 2 fryers set one or 2 days out of the week to do your fries. Set your fryer on 325 then blanche all your fries when they are done pour them onto a full sheet cake pan fill the pan with fries place on a tray in your walk in cooler let cool then portion up your orders or leave on tray if you have the room and then fry to order at about 350 to 375 until done the shelf life on potatoes prepped like this is usually about 3 or 4 days
                     
                    #40
                      drsmoke02

                      • Total Posts: 250
                      • Joined: 11/16/2005
                      • Location: emmitsburg, MD
                      RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sun, 03/19/06 3:41 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by andreashafer

                      hey there Xfireguy you dont need 2 fryers set one or 2 days out of the week to do your fries. Set your fryer on 325 then blanche all your fries when they are done pour them onto a full sheet cake pan fill the pan with fries place on a tray in your walk in cooler let cool then portion up your orders or leave on tray if you have the room and then fry to order at about 350 to 375 until done the shelf life on potatoes prepped like this is usually about 3 or 4 days


                      Andre is absolutely correct,blanch at 325 ahead of time actually adds flavor IMHO especially if you use peanut oil,375 to finish them off.
                       
                      #41
                        koloa

                        • Total Posts: 17
                        • Joined: 3/7/2006
                        • Location: philadelphia, PA
                        RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sun, 03/19/06 5:42 PM (permalink)
                        im not sure if it was mentioned here, but i was told over in another forum that some restaurant owners boil their potatoes, when done, put in the fridge where they can keep for awhile and cool. when rdy to cook, just cut them up and fry at 375. no need to double fry.
                         
                        #42
                          roossy90

                          • Total Posts: 6695
                          • Joined: 8/15/2005
                          • Location: columbus, oh
                          RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sun, 03/19/06 5:51 PM (permalink)
                          I think home made are just too limp... I like mine crispy.. but then again, I like crinkle cuts best also.
                          I worked in a place that cut them and kept them in water, and they were always limpish. Is that a word?
                           
                          #43
                            MilwFoodlovers

                            • Total Posts: 3095
                            • Joined: 3/31/2001
                            • Location: Milwaukee, WI
                            RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sun, 03/19/06 6:28 PM (permalink)
                            roosy90, by no means are all homemade fries limp. On the contrary, classically made, they are crunchy on the outside and soft inside.
                             
                            #44
                              drsmoke02

                              • Total Posts: 250
                              • Joined: 11/16/2005
                              • Location: emmitsburg, MD
                              RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sun, 03/19/06 8:43 PM (permalink)
                              quote:
                              Originally posted by koloa

                              im not sure if it was mentioned here, but i was told over in another forum that some restaurant owners boil their potatoes, when done, put in the fridge where they can keep for awhile and cool. when rdy to cook, just cut them up and fry at 375. no need to double fry.


                              wrong.
                               
                              #45
                                wallhd

                                RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sun, 03/19/06 8:57 PM (permalink)
                                Back in the dark ages of fast food, even McDonalds fresh cut their fries.

                                What a shame when they switched to frozen.

                                And even worse when they changed from using lard.

                                They might have been a lot more competition for us mom and pop places if they hadn't changed, so maybe it's not such a shame after all.
                                 
                                #46
                                  koloa

                                  • Total Posts: 17
                                  • Joined: 3/7/2006
                                  • Location: philadelphia, PA
                                  RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Mon, 03/20/06 8:53 AM (permalink)

                                  wrong as in?
                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by drsmoke02

                                  quote:
                                  Originally posted by koloa

                                  im not sure if it was mentioned here, but i was told over in another forum that some restaurant owners boil their potatoes, when done, put in the fridge where they can keep for awhile and cool. when rdy to cook, just cut them up and fry at 375. no need to double fry.


                                  wrong.
                                   
                                  #47
                                    damon2

                                    • Total Posts: 47
                                    • Joined: 3/12/2006
                                    • Location: Buellton, CA
                                    RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Thu, 04/20/06 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by blizzardstormus


                                    Thanks for everyone's input on this subject.

                                    We have been making our own fries for about 6 weeks now. After experimenting, we came up with the following procedure: we peel & cut our potaoes and hold the fries in ice water. We do not double-fry due to time constraints. We drain the fries & fry. Our fries are not as crispy as some would like, but most of our customers are very pleased with the change.

                                    Next to the fries is our homemade pork loin sandwich which is considered to be one of the top 5 tenderloins in the state of Iowa by the Iowa Pork producers.


                                    Going to give your idea a try, now..nudge..nudge..how do you make that pork loin sandwich...working on my summer menu
                                     
                                    #48
                                      adbunting

                                      • Total Posts: 72
                                      • Joined: 4/7/2006
                                      • Location: Pahrump, NV
                                      RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Wed, 05/3/06 6:29 PM (permalink)
                                      Tried the baked/steak fry thing.

                                      They were great! Soft on the inside, crispy on the outside. I like mine well-done, but you can take 'em out any time.
                                      I found the twice fried method works really well.

                                      April
                                       
                                      #49
                                        blizzardstormus

                                        • Total Posts: 274
                                        • Joined: 8/1/2004
                                        • Location: Atlanic, IA
                                        RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Wed, 05/3/06 6:43 PM (permalink)
                                        After further experimenting, we now peel & cut a case of Idaho potatoes, soak for a half hour, and then par-fry at 325 degrees for 6 minutes. We finish the fries later by frying at 350 degrees until crisp. Fantastic fries!

                                        I have noticed that the younger a customer is, the more likely he or she will not like our fries (addicted to McDonald's).

                                        Damon2, we trim & cut pork loin, weigh it out at 5 ounces, and tenderize it by passing the meat through our antique tenderizer 3 to 4 times. At the time of the order, we eggwash the cutlet and bread it in a flour mixture consisting of one part flour, one part cornflake crumbs, & one part SLO-BRO seasoning flour. Good luck

                                         
                                        #50
                                          damon2

                                          • Total Posts: 47
                                          • Joined: 3/12/2006
                                          • Location: Buellton, CA
                                          RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Thu, 05/4/06 11:30 AM (permalink)
                                          thanks, don't have a tenderizer..but I'm sure I can come up with an alternative...know I've got a meat mallot sitting around somewhere..on your fries...whats the size of your cut, currently we're using a steak fry cut
                                           
                                          #51
                                            koloa

                                            • Total Posts: 17
                                            • Joined: 3/7/2006
                                            • Location: philadelphia, PA
                                            RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sun, 05/7/06 8:27 PM (permalink)
                                            ive tried the boil first, cool in fridge, cut them and then fry at 375. i could barely notice a difference. dash some salt or old bay and the fries were just as good as the regular double fry method.
                                             
                                            #52
                                              wr_mccoy

                                              • Total Posts: 5
                                              • Joined: 5/3/2006
                                              • Location: Emmitsburg, MD
                                              RE: French fries: Are homemade fries worth effort? Sun, 05/7/06 9:38 PM (permalink)
                                              All I know is, Boardwalk French Fries are too good. They cook them at two different times, I'm told.
                                               
                                              #53
                                                Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 53 of 53

                                                Jump to:

                                                Current active users

                                                There are 0 members and 2 guests.

                                                Icon Legend and Permission

                                                • New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

                                                2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com