Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish

Author
dews
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
2006/05/10 00:02:02 (permalink)

Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish

After leaving michigan for the first time for more than a few weeks I truly miss the best and most available fish in that region. If any body is travelling in the Upper Penninsula or Northern Michigan I recommend Mackinaw Grill in St Ignace, Tahquahmanon Brewery in Paradise, The Brown Trout in Indian River, and The Grand Traverse resort in Traverse City. Broiled sauted or panfried are they best ways to order.

5 Replies Related Threads

WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish 2006/05/10 00:11:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by dews

After leaving michigan for the first time for more than a few weeks I truly miss the best and most available fish in that region. If any body is travelling in the Upper Penninsula or Northern Michigan I recommend Mackinaw Grill in St Ignace, Tahquahmanon Brewery in Paradise, The Brown Trout in Indian River, and The Grand Traverse resort in Traverse City. Broiled sauted or panfried are they best ways to order.

Great topic dews!
    I also like mine smoked. Preferable from Purvis Fisheries on Manitoulin Island.
    Battered and deep fried is great. . . whitefish and chips from any fish and chips stand around the lakes.. . like Island Fish and Chips at South Baymouth.
    Trout is ok, but I kinda prefer whitefish.
    dews
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish 2006/05/10 00:18:43 (permalink)
    Almost any Rural Michigan restaurant and bar will have fresh whitefish, lake trout,lake perch, &/or walleye, I really miss the fresh caught and prepared meals ans am relegated to fast food joints and hotel sandwiches for the next year or so. Any road food tour should go to some of the out the way eateries. The quality of the food usually makes up for the ultra casual atmosphere.Also at this time of year you can get fresh morels with almost any meal !!!!!
    WVHillbilly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish 2006/05/10 09:39:17 (permalink)
    quote:

Almost any Rural Michigan restaurant and bar will have fresh whitefish, lake trout,lake perch, &/or walleye, I really miss the fresh caught and prepared meals ans am relegated to fast food joints and hotel sandwiches for the next year or so. Any road food tour should go to some of the out the way eateries. The quality of the food usually makes up for the ultra casual atmosphere.Also at this time of year you can get fresh morels with almost any meal !!!!!

dews, you've found roadfood.com, I hope you're able to find some good places to eat no matter where your travels take you.
    CasperImproved
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 59
    RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish 2006/05/13 19:48:31 (permalink)
    One of the few really great eats experience in the great lakes area that is a regional delight is the excellant fresh fish from those lakes. Walleye, Perch, Lake Trought, etc.. Pasties, cherries, Cheese, etc., are *really* good... but the fish fries are what memories are made of

Now if we could get the last few remaing "great" local fish fry establishments to change their fry habits.... make them "belgium" fries, we'd have to start our own border patrol to keep out the folks from other states, thus keeping our supply of fish & fry's (chips) in tack all for ourselves.

Casper
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7316
    RE: Fresh Lake Superior Whitefish 2006/05/14 01:31:03 (permalink)
    quote:

I've eaten at all those places. I opened one of the restaurants in The Grand Traverse Resort (thanks for mentioning it). Lake whitefish and walleye are delicious! While I love Pacific fish, I adore Lake fish!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1