The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Fresh Squeezed Lemonade

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 109
BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 10:20 AM (permalink)
Hey Bubba, FSA price list for lemons
90ct .27ea
115 ct .25 ea
140 ct  .22 ea

I Think the whole point is the sweet and tart taste. I would squeeze the two lemon halves, and drop them into the cup, proves its fresh. Sonic does this with their fresh squeezed drinks............Good luck buddy................Billyb..........P.S charge $3.00 so you have money to buy some beer at the end of the day, your squeezing arm may hurt.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1954
    Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 11:05 AM (permalink)
    Bill... Your prices are much better tham mine.... I buy so little form fsa/us food that I get the chump prices....I'm also going to check into the cost of fresh squeezed lemon juice from them and produce guy.

Philly Hu

• Total Posts: 183
      Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 12:07 PM (permalink)
      Chefbuba - Right now I am playing around with some glasses I have in my kitchen. I am using a large cocktail shaker to mix everything in. I think it is a 16oz shaker. In the final product I think 22oz cup is what I will be shooting for.
      32 oz seems like a lot considering all of my other drinks are just your standard cans and water bottles.

I am using crushed ice I bought from the store, which I had to crush up some more because I thought the chunks
      were too big to begin with. 

Still experimenting - I'll let you know more when I know more...

olddude2

• Total Posts: 716
        Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 1:12 PM (permalink)
        If it ain't broke don't fix it.  That said we all like to tinker.

remember besides the taste it is the flash (show).

1/2 lemon
        they sell regular shake up cups, I think their 20 0z.

fill to the top with crushed ice, (crushed works best) right out of the bag. not litteraly but that type. filling to the top with the ice first is the key to your profit.

add lemon juice

fill with sugar water.

shake it up in a shaker and pour into serving cup.

you are using about 4 oz of actual mix just as in a fountain drink.  some of the ice will melt in the process to actually give more drink then in a soda.

1/2 lemon 19 cents, they will get up to 25 cents by
        summer.

syrup .05

ice .05

cup .10

lid .05

straw o1

cost .35

sell $2.50 all day long

profit $2.15 each

the heavier the ice the more syrup you will use, but too fine and now you have a slushie, a completely different product that doesn't necessarily appeal to adults.

I can make one as fast as a hot dog but im not fast lol
        <message edited by olddude2 on Thu, 04/29/10 1:19 PM>

Curbside Grill

• Total Posts: 3916
          Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 2:20 PM (permalink)
          For juice has anybody sliced lemons in half, throw into food processor, pulse till you want to stop. Then strain the juice, pulp and skin. The oils from the skins really intensifies the flavor. We do this in the summer.

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
            Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 4:12 PM (permalink)
            Curbside Grill

For juice has anybody sliced lemons in half, throw into food processor, pulse till you want to stop. Then strain the juice, pulp and skin. The oils from the skins really intensifies the flavor. We do this in the summer.

This is why Bill's Lemonade "stomped" the lemon pieces with the pestle!

paceflchick

• Total Posts: 198
              Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 4:48 PM (permalink)
              Did an event ovet the weekend..

Sign at the vendor next to me stated..' Fresh squeezed lemonaid '       right out of the country time can....not a real lemon in site....

BillyB

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 6:03 PM (permalink)
                Hey Bubba, 4-1 gal Real lemon juice Ruby brand........27.97 per case
                If you ever need prices, I have the FSA guide on my computer.....Take care................Billyb

chefbuba

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 6:30 PM (permalink)
                  BillyB

Hey Bubba, 4-1 gal Real lemon juice Ruby brand........27.97 per case
                  If you ever need prices, I have the FSA guide on my computer.....Take care................Billyb

Real lemon as in Fresh Squeezed, Refrigerated?  If so, not bad.. I figured theres approx
                  1 1/2  gal juice in a case...
                  <message edited by chefbuba on Thu, 04/29/10 6:33 PM>

chefbuba

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 6:42 PM (permalink)
                    Curbside Grill

I played around with this a bit at work today... made a batch of simple syrup, juiced 8 lemons, ground the rinds in processor, added this to the hot syrup,,,let sit for an hour, strained through a china cap, smashed the mash until no more liquid, added juice.... Very intense lemon flavor. Diluted down to 1 1/2 gal ready to use lemonade... use approx 16-18 oz for a 32 oz cup. 

Gave out a bunch of samples,, everyone liked and said they would have no problem paying $3 for it.

lornaschinske

• Total Posts: 1610
                      Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 8:18 PM (permalink)
                      If you guys are going to put a whole lemon in a cup, please clean them first to remove the dirt and wax. There is nothing worse than a drink with a dirty lemon in it. 

chefbuba

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 9:11 PM (permalink)
                        Yes Mother

Curbside Grill

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 9:19 PM (permalink)
                          chefbuba

Yes Mother

LOL

Curbside Grill

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Thu, 04/29/10 9:38 PM (permalink)
                            chefbuba

Curbside Grill

I played around with this a bit at work today... made a batch of simple syrup, juiced 8 lemons, ground the rinds in processor, added this to the hot syrup,,,let sit for an hour, strained through a china cap, smashed the mash until no more liquid, added juice.... Very intense lemon flavor. Diluted down to 1 1/2 gal ready to use lemonade... use approx 16-18 oz for a 32 oz cup. 

Gave out a bunch of samples,, everyone liked and said they would have no problem paying $3 for it.

I use the food processor, totally here. At my age to go to wallyworld and having to buy elbow grease for these joints. Let the modern marvels work for me. Then when my brother-in law says stop, he brought the lemons fom FL. ,so I have to pay attention. strain, mix to approx. gal. Then we add the adult juice.
                            then after a couple batchs we wash the lemons.

<message edited by Curbside Grill on Thu, 04/29/10 9:41 PM>

parkave1

• Total Posts: 61
                              Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Fri, 04/30/10 12:27 AM (permalink)
                              I am very new, but from what I have read, here seems to be my take on it.  Unless doing an event of some sort, I would most likely stick to lemondade- made in advance.  Go ahead and hype how you made it...float some lemons in it and serve it up...I can see it woud be a big seller.  You need to move people through ultimately.  Personally though, as great as lemon shake ups are, there is a certain nostalgia that both lemonade and hot dogs share and it would seem the most natural choice to offer together vs. a shake up. 

One guy said it right...you would then be operating a lemonade stand.

Philly Hu

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Fri, 05/7/10 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                Reporting back from my laboratory  and I deem the experiment a success.
                                I am sold on Lemon shake-ups over lemonade with a premise. If I were doing an event where
                                serving speed was an issue then I would separate the hot dog cart from the making/serving of the shake-ups, a separate crew - one or two people minimum. To do real numbers I could see six people working it.

I followed 6star - "Bill's" recipe to the letter and they came out tasting great. Lorna - I even cleaned the lemons before putting them into the shaker. Half a lemon for each was just right - on some I couldn't cut them into four slices but it didn't seem to matter. The cutting, smashing and shaking process took less than a two minutes. It didn't take a longer than it would to make most cocktails - so I look at this way people will wait if they want one.
                                Volume is hard to do as a single dogger and it also really depends on your cart, but I think supplementing it with a few shake-ups should work well.

I even did taste tests - my three year old twins wont leave me alone. They are walking around here saying "shake-up, shake-up" I had to cut them off - It must be the sugar. One more factor is they also really enjoyed the show Dad was giving them - I love using cocktail mixers, they make you look so important. Taste + show = more money (hopefully).

Anyone can open a lemonade stand - you are competing with the little kid down the street but with a little flair I think shake-ups would make anyone stand out and hopefully word of mouth and all that means more customers.
                                I will let you know how it goes in the field...

Philly - "We've got a lemon factory and we're turning out 80-85 percent lemons." 

<message edited by Philly Hu on Fri, 05/7/10 2:26 PM>

olddude2

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Fri, 05/7/10 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                  shake ups with fresh lemons in florida ?   hmmm not so fast.  the DBPR has different rules on my cart weather it is a temp permit or an annual permit.. the FLHD says I can't have bologna because I would have to slice it ? no cheese cause its dangerous, and guess what the Ag  dept has a problem with me slicing lemons .  lol  Kool aid and potato chips any one, pre packaged of course ?
                                  <message edited by olddude2 on Fri, 05/7/10 4:01 PM>

Philly Hu

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sat, 05/8/10 12:26 AM (permalink)
                                    Hey olddude2,
                                    So you couldn't even make fresh lemonade with the traditional floating lemon slices? All those poor kids on the corners shut down by the HD - terrible...

I am pretty sure that here it is not a problem because like I was saying before there are already carts out there selling "fresh" lemonade. I can kind of understand the "no" cheese and meat thing but slicing fresh fruit - what is the problem?

Olddude you don't slice anything on your cart - no tomatoes or onions, etc. What if you decided to slice a hot dog, would you be shut down.
                                    Florida doesn't sound very friendly...

olddude2

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sat, 05/8/10 9:18 AM (permalink)
                                      because I'm an active advocate of more freedom on food carts here in Florida,  and around the U,S. I get a little extra "help and guidance" from the FLHD, the AG Dept. and the DBPR.  Considering legal definitions, and descriptions, the rules here are very vague, but the back up for them is "its a hot dog cart, sell hot dogs nothing else..  Many years ago fruit peddlers would go door to door selling fresh fruit.  They were treated like gypsies.  they all cried Knives in the pockets of their pants, pocket knives, actually called fruit knives, and would slice off a slice of Peach to let you tast.it trying to get you to buy some.

Obviously this wsn't a very sanitary situation, the HD couldn't do any thing about it because it came under the jurisdiction of the Ag department, so the Ag dept. came up with a regulation banning the slicing of fruit with out the proper equipment,  the intent was to stop the "fruit peddlers" from doing it but the actual effect is yes it is illegal to slice fruit served to the public in Florida with out the proper equipment,  i.e. a commissary or restaurant.  including veggies   These are just some of  many laws on the books, that are seldom used and they pull them out only in certain circumstances when they want to "help and guide" you. 

PS Park my "lemonade stand" would sell from 7000 to 12000 shake ups at each state fair every year till every one started doing it.  I still have it in my front yard. lol

BillyB

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sat, 05/8/10 10:06 AM (permalink)
                                        Who says the lemons have to be sliced on the cart, if you are chopping onions, your good to go on lemons. Philly, I don't think Oregon will say anything about it............Bill

Philly Hu

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sat, 05/8/10 1:31 PM (permalink)
                                          Thanks BillyB - Yeah I wasn't worried about it here - Our HD is pretty friendly and reasonable. If any of you pay attention to Oregon or Portland we have a very vibrant cart industry and you can pretty much do anything with in reason. Fusion and new cuisine is all the rage and if you couldn't cut anything on site it would put a big wrench in the works.

Olddude2 - I do not envy you - it is hard enough to try to make a living without the big eye focused on you.
                                          I got into a big discussion about freedom here in America the other day, which I don't really want to start here, but in purely a business stand point we have regulated, created law after law and taxed ourselves to near death. All the freedom is for the people who can afford it still. It looks like some states are rougher than others nevertheless good luck to you and stay low.

BillyB

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sat, 05/8/10 2:23 PM (permalink)
                                            Philly Hu

Thanks BillyB - Yeah I wasn't worried about it here - Our HD is pretty friendly and reasonable. If any of you pay attention to Oregon or Portland we have a very vibrant cart industry and you can pretty much do anything with in reason. Fusion and new cuisine is all the rage and if you couldn't cut anything on site it would put a big wrench in the works.

Olddude2 - I do not envy you - it is hard enough to try to make a living without the big eye focused on you.
                                            I got into a big discussion about freedom here in America the other day, which I don't really want to start here, but in purely a business stand point we have regulated, created law after law and taxed ourselves to near death. All the freedom is for the people who can afford it still. It looks like some states are rougher than others nevertheless good luck to you and stay low.

Philly, Portland may be the most Food Cart/trailer friendly city in the USA. I had the hD down to our place on Thursday, They are great to work with. We got 100% and nothing but thanks you's from them for running a quality operation. I asked the HD a few months ago about food carts, and restrictions. Their answer to me was, we would have any problem with you doing anything. IMHO proven performance and food knowledge goes a long way with the HD having
                                            full confidence in running and maintaining a good quality food cart operation.............Bill

Philly Hu

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sat, 05/8/10 10:14 PM (permalink)
                                              BillyB - are you in Portland?

chefbuba

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sat, 05/8/10 11:11 PM (permalink)
                                                Billy's over on the East side of the state....

Philly Hu

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sun, 05/9/10 12:15 AM (permalink)
                                                  Well go NorthWest

Capt'n Mike

• Total Posts: 76
                                                    Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sun, 05/9/10 11:21 AM (permalink)
                                                    This is the lemonaid I make at home....http://laylita.com/recipes/2008/05/30/limonada-lemonade-or-limeade/....Easy and the best I ever had....I add a 1/4 of an orange to this recipe....

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
                                                      • Location: West Peoria, IL
                                                      Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sun, 05/9/10 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                                      Capt'n Mike

This is the lemonaid I make at home....http://laylita.com/recipe...a-lemonade-or-limeade/....Easy and the best I ever had....I add a 1/4 of an orange to this recipe....

Capt'n Mike, I "cleaned up" your URL so people could click on it to go to the website.

<message edited by 6star on Sun, 05/9/10 12:18 PM>

Curbside Grill

• Location: Lawrenceburg, TN
                                                        Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sun, 05/9/10 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        6star

Capt'n Mike

This is the lemonaid I make at home....http://laylita.com/recipe...a-lemonade-or-limeade/....Easy and the best I ever had....I add a 1/4 of an orange to this recipe....

Capt'n Mike, I "cleaned up" your URL so people could click on it to go to the website.

THX for the link. Going to try that Watermellon Mimosa.

Philly Hu

Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Sun, 05/9/10 3:22 PM (permalink)
                                                          Hey I was at my local farmer's market, which has basically turned into one big food court. There had to have been a least three hot dog stands that I saw, but what I also saw were three stands doing Squeezed juices - all kinds of fruit.
                                                          No shake-ups just juice squeezers. They were busy...
                                                          So I went home and went back to the drawing board so to speak. I used the same shake-up recipe and substituted a half an orange. I then did half an orange with one big strawberry. I also did a half of lemon and a strawberry. All turned out pretty tasty. The orange was a little pulpy but drinkable - I don't really like pulp but even I didn't mind it too much.
                                                          Both times using the strawberry tasted great and looked good in the glass.

Fruit Shake-ups are very doable...

Capt'n Mike

• Total Posts: 76
                                                            • Location: San Antonio, TX
                                                            Re:Fresh Squeezed Lemonade Mon, 05/10/10 7:04 AM (permalink)
                                                            6star

Capt'n Mike

Thanks, 6star....

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 2 of 4, messages 31 to 60 of 109

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com