Fresh eggs

Author
mountain_charlie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 27
2006/04/24 17:05:55 (permalink)

Fresh eggs

V960 on another thread,mentioned she raises chickens.As fresh eggs so far outdo storebought,I've been thinking of raising a few myself,we have the room.Can anyone tell me how much work/commitment/expense,this would entail.Anyone for fresh eggs!

17 Replies Related Threads

V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/24 19:21:54 (permalink)
    I am a he by the way, just happen to drive a Volvo 960...ps major mistake...sucker is SUPER expensive for repairs.

Chickens are cheap...they lay an egg every 30 hours. You do the math. They crap everywhere (good for the lawn but bad for the porch)

I highly recommend keeping chickens...actually hens...kill the roos before they spur you.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/24 19:29:37 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by V960

I am a he by the way, just happen to drive a Volvo 960...ps major mistake...sucker is SUPER expensive for repairs.

Chickens are cheap...they lay an egg every 30 hours. You do the math. They crap everywhere (good for the lawn but bad for the porch)

I highly recommend keeping chickens...actually hens...kill the roos before they spur you.

Daughter bought a new Volvo. Same experience.
    Good thing it was under warranty.
    Got rid of it PDQ

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/24 21:31:30 (permalink)
    I search for fresh grass, hmm maybe bug fed eggs, fresh outa tha nest, because I love em raw. Those chickens that lay blue and green eggs are the best raw. And yes, no comparason, fresh and store bought is a no brainer. And, even the chicken meat is way diff. I have paid my dues on raising chickens so now I let others do it. Go for it charlie!
    Joe
    V960
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/25 10:15:46 (permalink)
    To try and answer your original question. A brooder lamp costs about six or eight dollars and a therometer is about another five. We brood in a cardboard box w/ paper waste from our shredder. A chick waterer and feeder is another five dollars for the pair (actually just attachments for quart jars)

Feed is around eight to ten dollars for fifty pounds. I recommend buying a fifty pound feeder ($25) and a five gallon waterer ($20) when they have grown up. If you live too far north you will also need a waterer heater (don't know as I live in the South). Nest boxes can be made from icing buckets that your local grocery store will give away. You will need one nest box for every four hens. Or build your own from scrap lumber...or make Lowe's happy.

The chickens will need three to five square feet each in their pen. The low side if they are allowed to free range during the day (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). Roosts are also required.

Chickens should be let out after dawn and they will put themselves up at about dusk. Simply close the door at night. Check the water and feed when you let them out in the morning. Collect the eggs twice a day in hot weather. Cull any rooster that shows the slightest amount of aggression.

Chicks are available right now at most feed and seed places. Tractor Supply stopped carrying chicks this year. They will order for you but the minimum is 25. Chicks generally go for about $1.50 to $2 each. Stay away from Rock Cornish crosses your first time. They are meat birds and need special attention to keep them from eating themselves to death.

To keep them laying through the winter you will need to put a light on a timer to give them 14 hours of light a day. A 60 watt bulb is enough.

mountain_charlie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/25 21:34:33 (permalink)
    V960,thanks for the very good info,I need to read up on Roosters,didn't think of them being so agressive,I love FRESH eggs though,gonna try a few hens.
    V960
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/26 12:58:57 (permalink)
    Roosters grow spurs on the inside of each leg that sharpen themselves with each step. Something like the teeth on a wild boar. I havee a small scar on my right calf from making the mistake of turning my back on a California Gray roo. Took about six stiches to put it back together but only one round of #6 shot to send him to his reward.

My oldest roo is about four and has spurs three or four inches long. He's gentle but I'm not about to try and measure them. Matter of fact I'm watching him now...he makes sure or eggs are fertile.
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 06:40:06 (permalink)
    We have chickens and I love them, last spring we ordered a mixed group, I have no idea what kinds they are but we have all different colors and sizes of eggs and some pretty funny looking girls! We free range ours too being lucky enough having room to roam.
    The two stupid roosters crow all night long, they are heading up to the coop near the neighbor's soon (our neighbor's are not nice people, they are trying to stop the farms in the area, sorry there are two on this road and WE WERE HERE FIRST) The roos are alittle agressive as well.
    As an aside, we have guinea hens for tick control and are they funny birds, they have all fallen in love with our male peacock and follow him around and when one of them gets separated from the group, the racket they make!! The neighbors love them
    Cheers
    KB
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 09:25:07 (permalink)
    I had a rooster attack and spur me one day while I was filling up their feeder. I got a little pissed and went insane inside that coop trying to catch him and did after just 20 seconds or so. As soon as I was out that coop door his head was in my hand and his body was running off across the dooryard spraying blood all over. Within 60 minutes he was dipped, dressed, and in the pot with onions and celery. Showed him.
    V960
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 09:49:38 (permalink)
    EngineCapt,
    I agree w/ your methods completely. Agression=soup stock.
    Acornlover,
    I have a only one person close to us. She is an older lady that has more money than God. Her house is physically closer to our barn than our house. When we first started keeping roos (five or six years ago) I visited her make sure it was all right w/ her. She told me it made her think of her childhood when she heard the roosters crow. We make her a Thanksgiving dinner each year (her family is gone) and eggs every week. She won't come to dinner so we just make up a 1/2 turkey and all the sides to take to her.

My Father In Law used to have two layer houses (three thousand hens per house) in the bottom pasture. Too small for modern production they are now gone. But the smell from those houses was HORRIBLE!!! The conditions for the chickens was normal for the industry but unacceptable for my wife and I.

I will now step off my soapbox. Sorry for the rant.
    acornlover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 394
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 11:18:12 (permalink)
    V960
    Your neighbor sounds nice, Our neighbors moved in about 10 years ago, 2 new $750,000 houses built , one across the street from the goat farm that has been there forever and abutting our tree farm that we started over 20 years ago. At one time we all were friends, they thought our farm was quaint and pretty . We gave them yearly Thanksgiving turkeys , firewood, complimentary snowplowing their driveways, I taught their kids in school etc. Their dog killed all my ducks, but I did not make a big deal of it, he is a sweet dog bred for bird killing that they have no idea how to properly train or control.

All of a sudden we recieve from the town a "Cease and Desist" order for all activitiy on the tree farm, their complaint of noise, smell and traffic on the road, all not true, it is a farm for crying out loud! After much money in attorney fees, we won the suit but it was upsetting and needless to say bad feelings have stuck around.

When we first moved here, the goat farm was a fully operational goat dairy farm, the trucks going up and down with goat manure was daily activity (talk about smell). People driving up for goat milk and meat, all the time it is much quieter now , the woman who owned the farm died and left the tree farm part to my husband for first purchase in her will , she wanted that land to be farmed.

Capt, was the soup good?

enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 11:50:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by acornlover

Capt, was the soup good?

Delicious. It started out as regular chicken, but by the time I got finished fiddling around with the dried New Mexico chile pods and spices like cumin, ancho powder and achiote, it ended up being a speecy spicy rich red brothed Mexican chicken soup. I can never leave well enough alone.
    V960
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 13:16:00 (permalink)
    I have the same problem w/ dogs and my ducks. For the first few years here at the farm I would call the police or animal control...zero resolution..dead ducks and running dogs. I now follow the S,S,S idea. Shoot, shovel and shut up.

Truely unreal what a load of OO buck will do to a dog w/ a duck in his mouth. Sometimes, actually most times, the duck survives. The dog however never survives. The shotgun sometimes goes off another time to make sure.

My FIL was just a bit meaner. He would cut off the collar and put it in the owner's mailbox w/ a note. My MIL took a killed dog to the owner's house along w/ all the killed chickens and demanded payment for the chickens and their egg production for the next year. She got the money.

I live close to Charlotte and therefore get a number of dogs that are let out on the side of the road hoping some farmer will take them in. All our dogs have come to us this way. But after a few weeks the dogs go feral and will kill sheep, chickens and ducks to survive. I keep a auto shotgun (Remington 11-87SP, fine shotgun and highly recommended) loaded (#4 shot) behind the backdoor for just such situations.

I don't enjoy this but I feel it is my duty to my animals. They are not suited to truely defend themselves. The Peking ducks can't even fly, although they are tasty and huge. The chickens for the most part, except for the heirloom varities, are as stupid as fence posts.

We have one dog inside ($200 vet bill this week, so much for a "free" dog) and three more about the farm. God knows how many cats...a dozen at least...but NO rats in the barns or corn cribs. The inside dog is my wife's and is a darling but he is a lap dog. I prefer my Carolina ditch dogs that live outside and are my buddies. They follow the tractor while I'm plowing...devotion.
    mountain_charlie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 15:22:12 (permalink)
    If you don't fence them in, will they wander off, or stay fairly close to home?
    V960
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 16:11:29 (permalink)
    The dogs are collared and have their shots. I most earnestly hope they behave themselves but will understand if they are shot and will pay for damage they have done. The chickens also can do damage...a garden destroyed.

Our dogs are strays that wandered up...we call them "Vannderuups"...better name than Carolina Ditch Dogs.

In six years we have not had a single claim against our dogs or a missing dog. We feed them well, treat them well and they stay close to home. VERY protective I might add. The cats come and go. General Lee has been THE barn cat for many years but his corp comanders have changed. He still rules the barn. Majestic SOB. I'll cry when I bury him but he'll probably outlive me.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/28 18:11:21 (permalink)
    I met the rooster from hell about 10 years ago. My buddies neighbor gave it to him, after it put a hole in the ladies forehead that looked like a .22 would have hit her. I swear this bird was 2 and a half feet tall... Talons like climbing spikes. Sucker came at me and I sent it sailing with a drop kick. Never fased this evil bird. Ended up shooting it (was too darn crazy to catch) and sticking it in the pressure cooker.

But dont let this bad incidnet deter you... Check out http://www.motherearthnews.com/ and type in Chickens into the search on the top right. Nothing beats fresh eggs!
    mountain_charlie
    Junior Burger
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/29 06:56:34 (permalink)
    I don't think the general public knows about Roosters,sounds like you could do a horror flick with them,"The Roosters from Hell".

I'ne done without chickens for 60yrs.,I'm gonna see if I can make it all the way.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fresh eggs 2006/04/29 07:15:14 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Back in the 60's when I was just a real youngster, my grandpa had a general store next to his house.
    May have been 8 feet at the most between them, and small, weather-born shrub-like tree attached themselves
    to the side of his house,(no more than 5 feet tall) and he had free-range banta (not sure of the spelling)
    rooster and chickens would roost in those trees. For a boy of 5 or 6, such as I was, when I walked down
    between that alley to get my grandparents house, those birds would go crazy and scare the dickens out of me.
    A number of times I remember being attack by them. It was like a rite of passage. They caused so much problems
    with their aggressiveness (or our impoliteness at waking them) that grandpa cut the small scrubbish tree down and
    the birds had to find a new roosting home.
    By the way, their eggs were delicious, but we never ate the birds.
    Grandpop just let them live out their lives.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1