Fresh, frozen, or pass the old maid?

Author
tmiles
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2019
2004/12/27 12:21:18 (permalink)

Fresh, frozen, or pass the old maid?

Another seafood thread mentions not to order seafood on a Sunday. I contend that it is better not to order seafood at some restaurants. Lots of chain type restaurants serve a frozen product to assure supply and quality control. The better seafood IMO is served at restaurants that use a fresh product. Would you rather have "fresh" seafood that is a few days old and really not that "fresh", or frozen? To add to the complication, I am told that a lot of frozen seafood started out headed for the fresh market, but was frozen when it was about to go bad. I prefer seafood at small places that do big volume. Places that sometimes run out of product because of a short inventory are usually the best. I prefer a place where the "special" is not a ploy to unload a spoiling product.

6 Replies Related Threads

lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7058
    RE: Fresh, frozen, or pass the old maid? 2004/12/27 12:49:38 (permalink)
    tmiles, at the risk of sounding like Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential, here's the inside scoop on seafood in restaurants: the fish you order Sunday was delivered on Friday and probably caught earlier in the week (don't make me spill my guts about swordfish). If it has been properly handled and stored at the right temp, the fish is fine. And YES it is definately better NOT to order fish at some restaurants! Have a burger or the chicken wings or the ribs!
    To the best of my knowledge fish that is about to go bad is not frozen then sold to the restaurants. There have been times when I've rejected a delivery of fish as I know all chefs do.
    Unfortunately some "specials" are created to prevent the product from "Going South", that is, in the garbage.......never by me, as we used to run out of fish on most nights. If you're leary about the "special", look at the menu.........if the "special" is a fish that is on the menu but being prepared in a different fashion, you may want to reconsider. However, after perusing the menu and finding out the the "special" is opah or tautog or Dover sole or striped bass.....that is NOT on the menu, you're going to be safe in ordering it because it was purchased to be a "special".
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Fresh, frozen, or pass the old maid? 2004/12/27 16:26:17 (permalink)
    There is a fascinating book published about 10 years ago by a woman captain of a swordfish longliner - Linda Greenlaw? Anyway, after reading that book I quit eating swordfish - they are a long time in the hold before we ever get to eat them, and the efficient fishing methods have decimated the swordfish stocks. She comments at some point in the book on how much smaller the average fish is every year they go out - they just dont live long enough anymore to be able to grow up.

Cheers, John
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Fresh, frozen, or pass the old maid? 2004/12/27 21:10:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

at the risk of sounding like Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential, If you're leary about the "special", look at the menu.........if the "special" is a fish that is on the menu but being prepared in a different fashion, you may want to reconsider. However, after perusing the menu and finding out the the "special" is opah or tautog or Dover sole or striped bass.....that is NOT on the menu, you're going to be safe in ordering it because it was purchased to be a "special".

THIS is sound advise!!!!! and USUALLY when a fish is ordered to NE a special---the special is often just that---SPECIAL--maybe staff member "showing off"--i know that i tend to LOVE seafood specials that drift toward what i call "grampa fish"---grampa was a itailan and a fisherman and tended to bring home stipers and bluefish and tinker mackeral and cabazone---ugly!!!!!!but---so GOOD!!!!!! Any cook that impress me with these simple and oft overlooked fish---will get my return visit! I know i have seen mackeral on specials only twice and they were both GREAT!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Fresh, frozen, or pass the old maid? 2004/12/27 23:46:37 (permalink)
    John, Linda Greenlaw is a friend of mine and a member of our Women's Fisheries Network. She gave up swordfishing and went back to Maine and now is lobstering (last I heard). I always HATE to spoil people's impression of swordfish.....BUT........it DOES take ONE week to get from Gloucester to the swordfish grounds........three weeks to fish.....ONE week to get back........the fish is now at least 28 days old.
    Linda was the captain of the Hannah Bowden, sister ship of the Andrea Gail which went down during the Perfect Storm, killing all the crew. She is probably the only female swordfish captain ever. She is a college grad, a smart lady and a good fisher. She warned the crew of the Andrea Gail to get the hell out of there, Capt. Bobby Tyne wasn't listening...... they were hell bent on earing big $$$$ on a large swordfish catch. The name of Linda's book is The Hungry Ocean.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Fresh, frozen, or pass the old maid? 2004/12/28 00:34:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tiki

quote:

at the risk of sounding like Anthony Bourdain in Kitchen Confidential, If you're leary about the "special", look at the menu.........if the "special" is a fish that is on the menu but being prepared in a different fashion, you may want to reconsider. However, after perusing the menu and finding out the the "special" is opah or tautog or Dover sole or striped bass.....that is NOT on the menu, you're going to be safe in ordering it because it was purchased to be a "special".

THIS is sound advise!!!!! and USUALLY when a fish is ordered to NE a special---the special is often just that---SPECIAL--maybe staff member "showing off"--i know that i tend to LOVE seafood specials that drift toward what i call "grampa fish"---grampa was a itailan and a fisherman and tended to bring home stipers and bluefish and tinker mackeral and cabazone---ugly!!!!!!but---so GOOD!!!!!! Any cook that impress me with these simple and oft overlooked fish---will get my return visit! I know i have seen mackeral on specials only twice and they were both GREAT!

tiki, don't forget the run of Alewife in the late spring and the smelts in October!! But a freshly caught striper on the grill then topped with a little beurre blanc is STILL (after fishing in Alaska for 5 years) my preferred fish!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Fresh, frozen, or pass the old maid? 2004/12/28 08:14:40 (permalink)
    quote:

tiki, don't forget the run of Alewife in the late spring and the smelts in October!! But a freshly caught striper on the grill then topped with a little beurre blanc is STILL (after fishing in Alaska for 5 years) my preferred fish!

SMELTS!!!!!! Love fresh smelts--Noni allways froze a bunch to fry and serve for Easter breakfast!!!! Thanks for the memory reminder!!!---and---i have found that these fresh water lake grown stipers are pretty good eating!!!! I think the North Atlantic ones are a lttle sweeter--and firmer--but these are GOOD!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1