Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Fresh lobster prices in New England

Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 65
Roy

• Total Posts: 131
Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 07/25/08 9:31 PM (permalink)
I was in Galilee, Rhode Island last week and live lobsters in the 1 to 1 1/4 pound size were selling at a place next door to Champlins for $5.99 per pound. In Ct., my supermarket is selling the same size and nowhere near as fresh, for $9.99/lb. What are they going for in your area?

MotherNature_

• Total Posts: 103
    RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 07/25/08 9:35 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Roy

I was in Galilee, Rhode Island last week and live lobsters in the 1 to 1 1/4 pound size were selling at a place next door to Champlins for $5.99 per pound. In Ct., my supermarket is selling the same size and nowhere near as fresh, for $9.99/lb. What are they going for in your area?

Just curious, how can a live lobster not be fresh, unless it's obviously about to croak?

Just asking... .

Roy

RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 07/25/08 9:46 PM (permalink)
      If it's been existing comatose, albeit alive, for a week in a tank, I wouldn't call it fresh.

C Turner Joy

• Total Posts: 159
        RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 07/25/08 9:55 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Roy

If it's been existing comatose, albeit alive, for a week in a tank, I wouldn't call it fresh.

He's not in a coma. He's sleeping.

Mister, could you help me wake up my lobster?

/obscure?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17815
          RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 07/25/08 10:04 PM (permalink)
          $14.95 a pound at two different supermarket chains in Columbus, Ohio.

MotherNature_

RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Sat, 07/26/08 5:22 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by Roy

If that were the case I wouldn't be stupid enough to buy it.

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
              RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Sat, 07/26/08 8:12 AM (permalink)
              I'm not sure what fresh meens. If their kicking or just moveing they are fresh.
              Lobsters are graded like steaks. This time of year the shedders are common and they don't command the price of a hard shell select.
              Also depends on where they were harvested, top dollar for Canadian and Maine.
              If you get a lazy lobster and it meets it's maker on the way home from market, cook it, it's still good. We call those sleepers and I use them a lot. But if it smells like amonnia toss it. Chow Jim

MotherNature_

RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Sat, 07/26/08 8:15 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by Jimeats

Lobsters are graded like steaks. This time of year the shedders are common and they don't command the price of a hard shell select.
                If you get a lazy lobster and it meets it's maker on the way home from market, cook it, it's still good. We call those sleepers and I use them a lot. But if it smells like amonnia toss it. Chow Jim

Exactly.

jaylhorner

• Total Posts: 427
                  RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Sat, 07/26/08 10:04 AM (permalink)
                  Two week's ago...local supermarket had 4 to 6 pound lobsters @ $5.99/lb. (and they steam them for you). We shared one and it was great!

stevep

• Total Posts: 58
                    RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Tue, 07/29/08 10:10 AM (permalink)
                    From what I've seen in the Boston area and Central MA, you normally get a price break on chicks and jumbos because they're hard to sell. I think the 2-3lb lobsters normally go for ~10$/lb in hard shell season, and a couple bucks cheaper in soft shell season.

seafarer john

RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Tue, 07/29/08 11:49 AM (permalink)
                      Here in New Paltz this week one of our local supermarkets is offering 1-1/4 - 11/2 lobsters for 5.99. Larger are priced "according to size".

We bought a 6 pounder two weeks ago for 5.99/lb.

Cheers, john

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                        RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Tue, 07/29/08 12:35 PM (permalink)
                        Yesterday in Auburn, Mass, $3 lb. The guy selling them got arrested, according to the paper today.....They had come out of a highway accident and had been condemed. Looked like a tempest in a teapot to me. The remaining lobsters were let go in Boston harbor........I suppose that if the get re-caught to day, they will be ok to eat, and $6.99 per lb......lol

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                          RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Tue, 07/29/08 2:49 PM (permalink)
                          Prices are creeping up fast, catch is down, shedders are common now and the local demand has fallen off somewhat.
                          Not sure how they condem a load of lobsters if they are still alive.
                          Guy probably got arrested due to the lack of ALL the permits required to sell and transport shell fish and regular fish. Chow Jim

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
                            RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Tue, 07/29/08 3:40 PM (permalink)
                            In Dallas, the Asian markets sell the freshest lobsters for about $7-8.99 per pound. That's more than half of what they sell for in the conventional markets. But, the Asian markets don't stock the larger ones. They usually stock the 1-1/4 lb to 2 pounders-if that big.

sbp

• Total Posts: 11
                              RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Tue, 07/29/08 3:51 PM (permalink)
                              They're on sale at various times and stores for $5.99 on Long Island. Sometimes that includes the big ones. The big lobsters dont's shed as often as the 1-2 pounders, so you're more likely to get a hard shell (full of meat, not water). I insist on squeezing the claw before I buy. If it's soft, I won't take it.

acornlover

RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Wed, 07/30/08 6:23 AM (permalink)
                                I heard on the radio this am that lobster demand is not so high this summer, so the wholesale price is $4.50/lb whereas last summer it was $5.25/lb They say translates to about $7-8 dollars per lb(for soft shell)
                                I have not had my lobster yet this summer, I guess it is time!

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                  RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Wed, 08/13/08 12:14 AM (permalink)
                                  In Dayton, the only place is kroger or meijers. They were 10.99 this week. I never see one over 2lbs and the 2's are rare
                                  britt

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                                    RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 08/15/08 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                    Champlins still had lobsters at $5.99 this week. If I recall correctly, they would steam & serve any 2-lb or larger lobster you pick out, with butter for an extra $3.

Up the street, another fish market had shelled lobster tail meat for $39.99 / lb and $37.99 / lb for mixed tail & claw meat.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
                                      RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 08/15/08 10:16 AM (permalink)

Roy,

It is about $9.99 for chicks and a bit more for 1 1/2 sized ones at the store here in Waterbury. There seems to be some disconnect with the stores and the consumers here as the TV news is telling everybody about this situation of overabundance.
                                      I go to a place, Gulf Shrimp, next to you in Southington and chicks were about $6.99 a week ago.
                                      I just called them and the price has held for the chicks, $8.99 for 1.5 up and two pound lobters are around $10.99
                                      This topic has made me hungry and I am jumping in the car later.

This has me enthused as I want to make lobster rolls. The New England style of course, but I see a sushi Lobster roll as another ceation. I can make California rolls with them and I will call them 'Anywhere But Boston Rolls'.

mark

Tony Bad

RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 08/15/08 1:40 PM (permalink)
                                        quote:
                                        Originally posted by MotherNature_

quote:
                                        Originally posted by Jimeats

Exactly.

Well, not exactly. A lobster that has been in a pound or a tank for a week will still kick mightily when plucked out, but it isn't as fresh as one that has just hit the docks. Both may be live and fresh, and indistinguishable in appearance, but they are not the same.

Not really any different that veggies or fruit that have just gotten to the local grocery store. They are fresh and good to eat, but not as fresh as ones just picked and sold from the farm.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                          RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 08/15/08 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                          A lobster kept in a tank,are you saying,doesn't taste as good??? Explain,please.

Tony Bad

RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Fri, 08/15/08 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by leethebard

A lobster kept in a tank,are you saying,doesn't taste as good??? Explain,please.

Think of it this way. If I put you in a cage for a week, without feeding you, you might still be "fresh" in the sense you were alive and kicking when I dropped you in a pot of boiling water, but you'd probably have less meat on you than you did the day you were caught.

While a necessity to bring things to market, things (fish, meat, fruit, etc) rarely, if ever, improve in taste, flavor, or quality during the trip from their natural habitat to the grocery store or market.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                                              RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Mon, 08/18/08 12:17 PM (permalink)
                                              We paid $6.99/lb over the weekend for a family function. I picked them up at Price Chopper, a northeast chain supermarket. They were good, and easy to open because they recently shed, but as Jim mentioned they were not as good as the hard shelled selects. (but those hard shelled babies can be hard to open)

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
                                                RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Mon, 08/18/08 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                                BTW. All the mid west markets that sell lobsters(again korger and Meijersanyway) offer to steam them for free while you shop.

C Turner Joy

• Total Posts: 159
                                                  RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Mon, 08/18/08 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by brittneal

BTW. All the mid west markets that sell lobsters(again korger and Meijersanyway) offer to steam them for free while you shop.

I assume this is so you can eat them in the car on the way home?

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                    RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Sat, 08/30/08 8:50 AM (permalink)
                                                    quote:
                                                    Originally posted by C Turner Joy

quote:
                                                    Originally posted by brittneal

I assume this is so you can eat them in the car on the way home?

In my area lobsters have bee 5.99 to 6.99 a pound for the past few weeks. Quite different from last year when the prices were so high! We've been enjoying them!

Roy

RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Mon, 09/1/08 11:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      Thanks doggydaddy for your totally on topic reply. Sorry it took me so long to read you as so many people decided to take me to task over my inadvertent use of the term "fresh" and I lost interest in reading the topic. Anyway, we picked up 4 chicks at Stew Leonards in Newington yesterday at 5.99 per pound and had them tonight. They were alive enough to scream when hitting the steam (just kidding) but were excellent.

bobfuses

• Total Posts: 1
                                                        • Location: Escondido, CA
                                                        RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Tue, 09/2/08 12:18 AM (permalink)
                                                        A long time ago when I fished for lobster in the Thames River, CT, the pound I sold to said that a few days in the pound was a good thing. It gives the lobster a chance to clean out its tract.

IMO, properly pounded lobaters are viable for at least a couple of weeks. Lobsters in supermarkets are another thing.

There, I done my first post.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6080
                                                          RE: Fresh lobster prices in New England Tue, 09/2/08 12:23 AM (permalink)
                                                          Welcome bobfuses...thanks for the info....enjoy our site!!

Jane from Maine

• Total Posts: 5
                                                            • Location: Westport, IL
                                                            Re:Fresh lobster prices in New England Thu, 02/12/09 12:49 AM (permalink)
                                                            I was in Rochester NH earlier this week and they were $3.99 lb for the chix (under a pound) at the grocery store.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123 > | Showing page 1 of 3, messages 1 to 30 of 65

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com