Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
Joe Food

• Total Posts: 7
RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sat, 03/20/04 3:09 PM (permalink)
I concur with Pepper Breath’s recommendation of Evergreen; my family waits with anxious stomachs for them to open. In Palmyra, The Nite Cap Inn has great fish and their potato pancakes (I top with applesauce and maple syrup) are the best around. What does anyone think of Serb Hall in Milwaukee? Joe Food

Pepper Breath

• Total Posts: 51
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sat, 03/20/04 3:55 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by chicagostyledog

On HWY 50, east of Route 12, you'll find Big John's Pub. On Wednesday's, during the spring and summer, Big John has a Door County "all you can eat" fish boil.

I don't believe Big Johns is there anymore. It used to be on Hwy 50 in Slades Corners, but I think he sold out a few years ago when the Hwy was moved to the north side of town. The last I knew there was another restaraunt there but I don't recall the name.

Pepper Breath

RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sat, 03/20/04 4:45 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Our local CULVER's (Corydon, Indiana) recently listed a WALLEYE dinner and a sandwich also. I haven't tried them yet, but CULVER's is a Wisconsin based chain that makes a great Burger. One of you Walleye lovers needs to try the Culver entry and let us know how it measures up to the competition.

I tried the Walleye at our local Culvers the other night and believe me there was nothing about it that comes close to a good Wisconsin fish fry.

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3217
        RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sat, 03/20/04 10:54 PM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by Pepper Breath

quote:
        Originally posted by chicagostyledog

On HWY 50, east of Route 12, you'll find Big John's Pub. On Wednesday's, during the spring and summer, Big John has a Door County "all you can eat" fish boil.

I don't believe Big Johns is there anymore. It used to be on Hwy 50 in Slades Corners, but I think he sold out a few years ago when the Hwy was moved to the north side of town. The last I knew there was another restaraunt there but I don't recall the name.

Too bad about Big John's. The last time we ate there, it was under a new owner. Big John knew once HWY 50 was four lanes and bypassed Slades Corners, it was curtains for business. BTW: when we visit my brother in Williams Bay, we enjoy the Wagon Wheel. Haven't been there in a few years. Other favorites are Sweet Aromas on HWY 43 and X and Millie's Pancake House, down the road from the Wagon Wheel.

Pepper Breath

RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sun, 03/21/04 4:23 AM (permalink)
          Sweet Aroma is supposed to be about the best Italian place around, though I've never eaten there. I read in a review of the place one time Frank Sinatra was staying at the Abbey in Fontana and ate at Sweet Aroma. He said they made one of the best pasta sauces he'd ever had. We'll have to try it one of these nights.

Andoo

• Total Posts: 85
            RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Mon, 10/25/04 2:34 PM (permalink)
            Try Calhoun Hall on, you guesed it, Calhoun Rd. In New Berlin. One of the best fish Frys I've had there in years. Its kind of small though, so you may have to wait in the tavern portion. Also, Legacy Supper Club, on National Ave.

jaegerdog

• Total Posts: 21
              RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Mon, 10/25/04 8:19 PM (permalink)
              Try the Golden Mast..www.weissgerbers.com/goldenmast..very nice! They are located between Milwaukee & Madison...its alittle bit of a drive but worth it!!!

Andoo

• Total Posts: 85
                RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Tue, 10/26/04 2:11 PM (permalink)
                I've been to the Golden Mast. Pretty good. If you're out in that area, you might also want to try Donny's Supper Club. Good fish Fry and on Sundays they have a Sourbraten Special that excellant.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
                  RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Thu, 10/28/04 11:15 AM (permalink)
                  When I lived in the Chicago area we would always spend alot of time in the Lake Geneva area in the summer. We always had a family group of 15 - 25 people and would go to the Perch Fry at Ralph's in Delevan on Fridays. Always a 1-2 hour wait no matter what time you went but it was worth it. Excellent Perch was accompianed by all you can eat Potato Pancakes and homemade loaf, either Banna, Cranberry, pumpkin breador Carrot cake. Sure miss it.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Fri, 11/5/04 2:43 PM (permalink)
                    quote:
                    Originally posted by Tommy2dogs

When I lived in the Chicago area we would always spend alot of time in the Lake Geneva area in the summer. We always had a family group of 15 - 25 people and would go to the Perch Fry at Ralph's in Delevan on Fridays. Always a 1-2 hour wait no matter what time you went but it was worth it. Excellent Perch was accompianed by all you can eat Potato Pancakes and homemade loaf, either Banna, Cranberry, pumpkin breador Carrot cake. Sure miss it.

I'll second that about Ralph's. Haven't been there for years but my parents went not too long ago and said it's still good. Not every place with a Friday fry serves potato pancakes, either.

Coachman's Inn (Stoughton, exit #156 off of I-90) is my local choice. Fried, broiled, or both, and excellent crab-stuffed mushroom caps. Plus it's a golf course and during the season you can get a package deal for 18 holes and dinner...

Brad O.

Pepe65

• Total Posts: 1
                      RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Tue, 06/21/05 4:25 PM (permalink)
                      The "Westside Bar and Grill" in Hastings, Mn has probably the BEST fish Fry I've ever eaten. All you can eat..Friday nights. I love fish, the "Westside" ranks in the top 5 in the state...bar none!

Westside is located on the "West" sid eof Hasting just of HW 55.

Josey Wales

• Total Posts: 15
                        RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Mon, 07/25/05 9:19 AM (permalink)
                        I once lived in the Graet White North in Finland, Minn. just outside Silver Bay and I have to say that the fish fries when the smelt are running are VERY hary to beat. Smelt in beer batter are one of my fondest culinary memories. The snow there however is not. Most any neighborhood tavern would be my choice for fish fries. Most have a tried and true recipe and cook on hand. Blend in with the vikings and eat well.

badgergrl

RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Fri, 02/9/07 8:04 PM (permalink)
                          This makes me want to cry. I'm in Rochester, MN for the next couple of years for school and I'm desperately missing my Northern Wisconsin roots - and the Friday Fish Fry tradition! Bootleggers in Tomahawk (on Lake Nokomis) and The Spinning Wheel in Shawano are my favorites, but I can't find a gosh darn Fish Fry in this town! Anybody know of any in the Rochester area? We're desperate at this point!

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                            RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Fri, 02/9/07 10:03 PM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by badgergrl

This makes me want to cry. I'm in Rochester, MN for the next couple of years for school and I'm desperately missing my Northern Wisconsin roots - and the Friday Fish Fry tradition! Bootleggers in Tomahawk (on Lake Nokomis) and The Spinning Wheel in Shawano are my favorites, but I can't find a gosh darn Fish Fry in this town! Anybody know of any in the Rochester area? We're desperate at this point!

Try the American Legions and other lodges. Maybe churches. Maybe the least likely bar/grill that gets no publicity by the food connosseurs. Your living in a medical community of too many educated people thinking they have refined taste. But seriously, Rochester, though in Minnesota with 15,000 lakes, is not anywhere near the lakes regions.

I notice this is a really old thread. The Billfish Grill in St. Louis Park did not last long. It was OK but nothing to rave about. It was seafood and not a local fish restaurant.

Smelt is almost history. Every spring communities and organizations had smelt fries for fund raisers. Our local volunteer fire department did it every year back in the 80's but no more. The smelt pretty much run out on the north shore. It is no longer the spring ritual netting them in the feeder rivers and streams. Smelt were sardine sized skinny fish that got deep fried crispy and whole--no gutting or head chopping.

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                              RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sun, 02/11/07 12:20 PM (permalink)
                              What NO mention of Lukefish ????????????????????

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sun, 02/11/07 1:55 PM (permalink)
                                It's lutefisk not lukafish and no it is not fried. It's parboiled. So it is off topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

The upper Midwest is a freshwater fried fish heaven from local fish fries to fried walleye sandwiches in restaurants to battered and fried fresh caught fish at the cabin or camp ground. Lutefisk is seafood Cod and a Norwegian aberration that is still eaten mainly at heritage festival gatherings and in the homes of died in the wool Norwegians. Very few restaurants serve it up but there are some. It also makes for great jokes to supplement Ole and Lena jokes.

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                                  RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sun, 02/11/07 9:12 PM (permalink)
                                  As an east coaster we I make sure to hit any fishfrys when up in Wisconsin. It's one of those do in Rome things.

vfiel

RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Fri, 04/6/07 9:33 PM (permalink)
                                    Hi! I am coming to Wisconsin from Canada in a few weeks and will participate in a fish fry!! I will be in the Reedsburg area and would love some recommendations on where to eat! We don't have things like this up here so I'm really looking forward it :)

MilwFoodlovers

• Total Posts: 3090
                                      RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota Sat, 04/7/07 8:40 AM (permalink)
                                      I'm sure your host wherever you're staying can offer up some good suggestions. You also are very close to the Dells which is full of supper clubs that have Friday fish fries but I'd try a local place first. I'd just like to tell you that Carr Valley Cheese in nearby La Valle has some truly outstanding artisan cheeses that I think are well worth a visit. It's just the next town over and if you enjoy cheese, this is the place to go. http://www.carrvalleycheese.com/

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com