Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
peppertree
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 305
2003/07/19 19:28:04 (permalink)

Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota

My wife is from the La Crosse, Wisconsin area and she thinks that it is hard to beat the Friday night fish fry in the restaurants in the upper midwest. I have gone to about a half dozen restaurants in cities such as Winona, La Crosse and Milwaukee and I love the fish fry. I am a convert to it.
She says that the best can switch around and it is not consistantly in the same place. She likes going to churches and Elks Clubs. She also reccommended the Ramada in La Crosse/Onalaska, Wisconsin.

Where is your favorite Friday night fish fry?

48 Replies Related Threads

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/21 09:05:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by peppertree

My wife is from the La Crosse, Wisconsin area and she thinks that it is hard to beat the Friday night fish fry in the restaurants in the upper midwest. I have gone to about a half dozen restaurants in cities such as Winona, La Crosse and Milwaukee and I love the fish fry. I am a convert to it.
    She says that the best can switch around and it is not consistantly in the same place. She likes going to churches and Elks Clubs. She also reccommended the Ramada in La Crosse/Onalaska, Wisconsin.

Where is your favorite Friday night fish fry?

Other than the Billfish Grill in St Louis Park (Minneapolis), I have yet to find any fish worth dirtying a fork ANYWHERE in Wisconsin or Minnesota. I have been disappointed so many times by getting a 3 inch pastry batter surrounding something wet that I quit trying. Of course, my idea of good fish is tainted by the fact that I lived in North Carolina for more than 55 years and don't think it is seafood unless there is a big bowl of hushpuppies on the table. I look forward to the responses you get to your posting so I can find some decent fish when I go on my annual pilgramage to Silver Bay, MN in November.
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/21 11:53:37 (permalink)
    Boy, you must have just missed every that is good. I have been going "up north" for years and have found many places for good fish frys. In the Minneapolis area, there is Tavern on Green in St. Paul and Twin Cities Grill in the Mall of America. In Wisconsin, go to just about any "supper club" and you should find what you are looking for. Two that pop in to my head are "Bootleggers" on Lake Nokomis and "The Silver Birches" outside Tomahawk. There are many others were you can a great fish fry. Hopefully, others will share the names of their favorites.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/21 12:55:11 (permalink)
    Wow, with Lake Superior right out the door in Silver Bay, I can't imagine that you can't find anyone to do a good fish fry. Granted most places prefer their fish broiled or smoked in that area because it is fresh, but surely Angry Trout in Grand Marais must have fried fish. Have you gone to Two Harbors and checked out their Moose Lodge or Legion post? Or Blackwells in Two Harbors?
    Bona
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/21 14:42:02 (permalink)
    It seems that all the Great Lake areas have great Fish Frys...don't discount the upstate New York area with their Haddock fish frys. The Buffalo & Rochester, NY cities take a back seat to no areas for good "Frys" on Friday nights at most area bars and restaurants.
    jessicazee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/21 16:55:21 (permalink)
    Wisconsin Fish Fries: (mostly Milwaukee area):

-Brown Bottle Pub (all-you-can eat) http://www.foodspot.com/brownbottlepub/

-Beer Belly's (near the airport)
    http://www.foodspot.com/beerbellys/

-Klinger's East (On E. Locust between Humboldt and Fratney...ambience is close to nil, but great hand-cut fries, fresh battered fish & cheap prices. Skip the slaw)

-Jack Pandl's Original Whitefish Bay Inn (right off Lake Michigan - I used to work there...the fish fry is very good - potato pancakes made perfectly, great homemade slaw, lightly bread lake perch,,,the pies are made each day, too, and soups are great)
    http://www.jackpandls.com

Hope these help!
    here's a pretty good article about Milwaukee fish frys, too, FYI: http://www.onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/fishfry.html
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/21 18:50:30 (permalink)
    Nothing beats a Southern Arkansas Fish Fry. Catfish....Bass.....Crapie...Hushpuppies......French Fries.......Coleslaw......Ice Tea and/or a Cold Beer! Watermelon Cantaloupe and Home made Ice Cream for desert. Sometimes when we had a little extra $$$$$ we would even do a Shrimp Boil. "It Just Don't Get Much Mo Better Than That!" LOL
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/22 00:01:24 (permalink)
    jessicazee - I second your list of choices, and I would like to add Turner Hall downtown, not all-you-can-eat, but excellent potato pancakes and breaded perch.

When a certain well-known national steakhouse chain opened a branch in the Milwaukee area, it was the first and only one of the chain to serve fish fries on Friday. This was because the owner successfully argued to the board members that a Wisconsin restaurant without a fish fry wouldn't have any business on Fridays. They didn't want to agree until one board member, originally from Wisconsin, backed up his claim!

We're talking a religion around here! (Literally, since it probably dates back to Catholic meat restrictions on Fridays.)
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13548
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/22 05:02:51 (permalink)
    I work in Milwaukee several times each year. I have always noticed as I travel from my Marriott hotel to my work site the numerous signs indicating Friday fish fries. It is really a big deal in Milwaukee.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/07/22 10:41:10 (permalink)
    Bona gotta agree with you / here in upstate NY we have a long list of very good friday fish frys / most are done with Haddock / but you can also find walleye / and early spring bullhead is hard to beat.
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/08/06 22:14:35 (permalink)
    Churches and VFW posts all over Cincinnati do these all the time, with great regularity, and they are quite popular around here - in part because of the large Catholic population and the fairly well-set idea of 'meatless fridays' particularly but not exclusively during the 40 days of Lent (for non catholics, this is the 40 days preceeding Easter)

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that these don't tend to be commercial ventures, but rather are charitable fundraising events, and generally good to meet people in a community in a communal-table environment.
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/08/07 13:03:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I work in Milwaukee several times each year. I have always noticed as I travel from my Marriott hotel to my work site the numerous signs indicating Friday fish fries. It is really a big deal in Milwaukee.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Any time you want to get together for dinner or something while you are in Milwaukee, let me know. Maybe Jessicazee and I could take you out somewhere new!
    yumbo
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/08/11 09:07:21 (permalink)
    Calling all Milwaukee natives -

I went to my first fish fry at Slim's on Friday. It was OK, but I guess I was waiting for the clouds to part and to hear angels singing, which didn't happen. Is Slim's typical of the MKE FF experience, or do I really need to go to one of the places listed above?

-Yumbo
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/08/11 09:39:50 (permalink)
    One thing I have found out about fish fry's. I want my fish hot and I want it the instant it comes out of the cooker. If it cools down, I do not like it. I want my slaw cold and my hushpuppies hot and my tartar sauce extremely cold.

Friday night fish fries are like anything and everywhere else. They are on the bell curve. Get a reccomendation from one of your friends before I would go.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Lanny Clark
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/08/21 01:40:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by TJ Jackson

Churches and VFW posts all over Cincinnati do these all the time, with great regularity, and they are quite popular around here - in part because of the large Catholic population and the fairly well-set idea of 'meatless fridays' particularly but not exclusively during the 40 days of Lent (for non catholics, this is the 40 days preceeding Easter)

Edit: Just wanted to clarify that these don't tend to be commercial ventures, but rather are charitable fundraising events, and generally good to meet people in a community in a communal-table environment.
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/08/21 08:28:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hillbilly
    I have yet to find any fish worth dirtying a fork ANYWHERE in Wisconsin or Minnesota.

I know it isn't fried, but have you been to a fish BOIL in WS? Being a Southern boy, I didn't know fish came any way but fried and was very skeptical of boiling it. It was very good, though, and most entertaining to watch.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/08/21 08:55:36 (permalink)
    We race in Brainerd, MN every August and I always look forward to the walleye served in that area. While I am there, I try to get it as many times as possible from fried, sauteed, broiled and a few other ingenious ways those folks serve it.

Walleye is one of my most favorite fishes.

Paul E. smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/08/27 09:38:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by yumbo

Calling all Milwaukee natives -

I went to my first fish fry at Slim's on Friday. It was OK, but I guess I was waiting for the clouds to part and to hear angels singing, which didn't happen. Is Slim's typical of the MKE FF experience, or do I really need to go to one of the places listed above?

-Yumbo

I've never heard of Slim's, but it's a fact that, with as many places as there are in this town that serve fish fry, some are much better and some are only so-so. Also, there are lots of varieties on how the fish is served and what comes with it. For example, Red Rock Cafe is supposed to have a great fish fry (Julia Child even gave it the thumbs up), but their fish is battered. Since my personal preference is for breaded fish, I don't go there for their fish fry.

Keep trying other places, you're bound to find one that you like. (And welcome to Milwaukee!)

Julia
    2005Equinox
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/11/06 02:05:07 (permalink)
    Anyone in Northeast Wisconsin ever go to The Skyview Supper Club? The have one of the best seafood platters for $12.99.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2003/11/06 07:04:16 (permalink)
    In the Twin Cities, try the VFW (or is it the American legion?) in Richfield on Friday nights, busy place, fresh stuff because of turnover. On Lyndale, like about 60th or 70th St south

Also, I like the fish fry at the Tri-City Legion club (open to the public) in New Brighton, old Hwy 8 in town, a lot like the Richfield one.

Another is out West in Delano, MN. It's another legion hall restaurant.

Good Fish fry at ST. Clair Broiler. St. Clair and Snelling.

Tavern on Grand has the best deep fried or pan fried Walleye. Although not an all-you-can-eat friday night deal, you can have the option of ordering one or two fillets.

On West 7th St in St. Paul, there is an Italian place called DiGideo's. They serve a large, laps over the plate, tasty walleye fillet with the dinner trimmings, (sorry Southern folk, no hush puppies up here except occasionally at Dixie,s on Grand avenue. Dixie's has no fish fry but the catch of the day sort of thing.

Whoever it was who goes the Silver Bay, stop in Superior Wisconsin on yer way up. Almost all the bars on Hwy 2 and 53 have friday night fish fries. Most are good, some are better. But in Duluth, on the hill a little past the Miller Hill Mall is a bar and grill called The Chalet, open 365 and serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. Best fish fry on friday up thataway.
    Wobbly Spirals
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/01/31 12:59:29 (permalink)
    The Knights of Columbus #4400 on Cass Street in Joliet has the best Fish Fry in the Chicago area. http://www.kofc4400.com
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/02/01 01:17:19 (permalink)
    I miss having somewhere to go for a fine fish fry. The Lakeside Motel south of Somerset used to do Friday night fish fries. They served filets from big catfish caught in Lake Cumberland and all the sides were perfectly prepared. It was a very long trip for an evening meal, but one I didn't complain about.

Does anyone have information about Friday night fish fries in Kentucky?
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/02/01 03:43:39 (permalink)
    JimInKy: If the restaurant you are talking about in Somerset is on the south side of town overlooking the lake sorta high on a hill, I have been there except it was not a evening fish fry. I did have fish there though but it was for lunch.

It has been about five years ago.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/02/06 14:00:19 (permalink)
    Star Bar Restaurant: I94 & HWY 142 Kenosha-fried perch & bluegill
    Birch Lake Resort: HWY W Winchester-pan fried walleye family style
    St. Martin's Inn: Franklin-fried and pan fried perch
    Big John's Pub: Burlington-fish boils on Wednesday in summer
    White Gull Inn: Fish Creek-fish boils
    Pelliters: Fish Creek-fish boils
    Berdman
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/02/26 08:43:36 (permalink)
    The Edge of Town restaurant in Cedarburg, WI has a great fish fry. It's very popular so there's always a full house. I hate too much breading, but their's is pretty light. If you ever happen to get to Minocqua, WI in the northwoods, I strongly suggest Norwood Pines. Highway 70, west of Hwy 51 about 2 miles. Excellent fish fry and their soup is to die for.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/02/29 10:29:39 (permalink)
    http://www.norwoodpines.com/
    Pepper Breath
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/03/17 17:44:54 (permalink)
    Anyone out there that finds thier selves in the Lake Geneva, WI area on a friday night should try the fish at Evergreen Country Club north of Elkhorn on Hwy 12. The restaraunt is run by the same guy that used to run Sterlingworth Hotel and restaraunt up the road on Lauderdale Lakes and was well known for the Friday Fish Fry. Hush puppies, cole slaw, apple sauce, and choice of Fried or broiled haddock, or perch all you can eat. They have a limited season for the fish fry as the golf course business takes precedence over what goes on in the clubhouse but from now until sometime in May the fish should be on the menu.
    Another good choice is The Village on Delavan Lake and a place over by Twin Lakes that's called Dirty Dan's or Mad Dan's, Something like that. It's been awhile since I was there but the fish was very good and they served a small loaf of fresh out of the oven bread along with the meal.
    Pepper Breath
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/03/17 17:54:23 (permalink)
    Another one I missed is The Duck Inn on the corner of hwy 89 and Cnty hwy A between Darien and Whitewater.This place picks up alot of the slack when Evergreen is taken over by the golpher's.
    chicagostyledog
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3314
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/03/17 23:59:06 (permalink)
    On HWY 50, east of Route 12, you'll find Big John's Pub. On Wednesday's, during the spring and summer, Big John has a Door County "all you can eat" fish boil.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15321
    RE: Friday Night Fish Fries in Wisconsin and Minnesota 2004/03/20 10:05:21 (permalink)
    Our local CULVER's (Corydon, Indiana) recently listed a WALLEYE dinner and a sandwich also. I haven't tried them yet, but CULVER's is a Wisconsin based chain that makes a great Burger. One of you Walleye lovers needs to try the Culver entry and let us know how it measures up to the competition.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1