Fried Apple Pies

Author
NascarDad
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 336
2009/05/29 12:28:31 (permalink)

Fried Apple Pies

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I have a hard time finding anything with the search function. 

Since McDonalds got rid of their fried apple pie, it has been hard to find these.

There used to be a cafeteria/gas station up near Mineral VA that served them but they never have them anymore. 

I miss the crunchy blistered flakiness of the crust and the filing which seemed just right.

Are there any roadfood joints, or any joints at all, that make good fried apple pies?

I have had the KFC equivalent (soggy and not crisp at all) and the caramel one from Taco Bell (way too sweet and not crispy, was more like a hostess pie). 

Since I am going to hit the road a little later this year, I thought I would ask the roadfood EXPERTS.

Thanks in Advance

2 Replies Related Threads

deb andersen
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Fried Apple Pies 2009/05/31 05:16:32 (permalink)
    Fried Apple Pies are available in Waynesville North Carolina! I make them!They are called "MamaMoody's Fried Pies"  They are available at some convenience stores, the RiverRock Grill and I sell them by the dozen, frozen so you can fry them up at home, as many as you wish to cook at a time.  I use  unsulphured apples for my filling and have been told that my pies are better than my grandmothers'! By the way, MamaMoody WAS my grandmother who fed me the first fried pie I ever had! You may email me at: williemoandersen@yahoo.com if you wish to arrange to buy a dozen frozen pies while you are in the area.

SassyGritsAL
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1089
    Re:Fried Apple Pies 2009/07/02 16:16:29 (permalink)
    Our McDonald's here still serve their fried apple pies but they are not really "fried" they are baked. I prefer fried pies.

I actually like the ones at KFC if they are fresh. I will wait the few minutes it takes to fry some up. Two pies for $1 is not a bad deal.

My granny used to make some absolutely delicious fried banana pies. She would mash up with a fork the bananas and fry them in our homemade dough. We used to beg her top make these.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1