Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust.

Author
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13565
2007/08/25 19:01:51 (permalink)

Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust.

I tried something tonight a little different than what I have done before namely grilling and just frying them.

I took my 80/20 burgers and coated them heavily with flour with seasoned salt and pepper. I had a nice coat on them and then I fried them until they were golden brown with a nice crust on them.

A neat variation in my opinion with a great taste and my guest sure did enjoy them.

It seem to me like the golden brown crust sorta sealed the juices in.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN

27 Replies Related Threads

RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/25 19:18:29 (permalink)
    Okay, where are the pictures?

John
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 11:54:14 (permalink)
    kinda like a chicken fried steak only with ground beef patties?
    divefl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 11:59:36 (permalink)
    I will be trying this one.
    Fieldthistle
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 12:00:18 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    Sundancer7, thanks for your technique.
    Lately, I have been thinking how boring my burgers
    have been. I've thought about mixing different spices in
    them as I mold them into patties, but I will try your
    method. I love burgers, and want some new zip in them.
    Take Care,
    Fieldthistle
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 12:00:59 (permalink)
    Reminds me of when Shake 'n' Bake came out with a coating for hamburgers.

But I'd bet the flour, salt and pepper was better, because it brings out the flavor of the burgers, rather than trying to add a different taste.

I'm going to try that sometime, once the weather gets to the point we can't grill for a while. Thanks for sharing, it sounds good.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 12:17:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jvsmom

Reminds me of when Shake 'n' Bake came out with a coating for hamburgers.

But I'd bet the flour, salt and pepper was better, because it brings out the flavor of the burgers, rather than trying to add a different taste.

I'm going to try that sometime, once the weather gets to the point we can't grill for a while. Thanks for sharing, it sounds good.

Oh yeah! That was a winning concept, now, wasn't it? Instead of throwing burgers in a pan and frying them for five or ten minutes, coat them with this stuff, heat the oven, and bake 'em 'til they're gray.

I suspect that Sundancer's version is better.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5233
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 14:31:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

I took my 80/20 burgers and coated them heavily with flour

Martha White, I presume?

Brad
    LuckyLabrador
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 17:49:46 (permalink)
    Did you oil the pan?
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 18:11:40 (permalink)
    Some Germans make it that way. I used to eat lunch at a joint called the Schnitzel Haus run by an imperious German alcoholic with no teeth named Michael. His chef was this strange-looking cat, a very small Filipino with pop eyes who seemed extremely afraid of his boss. Any time I stopped in, an incessant pounding rang out from the kitchen. Gotta pound them schnitzels!

Anyway, one of Michael's lunch specials was called "German Hamburgers," two small hamburger patties, breaded and fried, served with mashed potatoes and a sour cream pan sauce. It would kill you for the rest of the day, but me and a couple folks from the office would go all the time because the food was so good and Michael was so bizarre. We would go in sometimes and hear Michael screaming in German at his poor little cook. After a couple minutes, he would come out of the kitchen, calm as could be, and after taking our orders retreat to the back of the restaurant where he would drink endless glasses of wine and stare broodingly at the table top. Good times.
    djmsalem
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 81
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/30 19:18:27 (permalink)
    Hi, essvee, and welcome!

I've had the kind of hamburgers you describe, and they were sensational.

DJM

(By the way, none of my teeth are named Michael, either. I hate myself for saying this, but I couldn't resist.)
    essvee
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/31 14:32:35 (permalink)
    DJ, my left upper back molar is named Leopold. Grammar cops are usually a pain in the grunions, but you made it funny.

OK, lessee, how to do it, "...run by Michael, an imperious German alcoholic with no teeth." I had to think about it.

Oh, and I'm an old timer here, but someone usurped my account once, and ever since it was fixed I've been at zero posts. I kind of like it, actually. I wish I could go back and have zero posts again in life. Just call me TR, short for 'tabula rasa.'
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/08/31 14:59:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Brad_Olson

quote:

I took my 80/20 burgers and coated them heavily with flour

Martha White, I presume?

Brad

Wrong, White Lily

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 924
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/02 10:07:01 (permalink)
    Not a flour crust, but saw an interesting approach on a BBC cooking show:

Sear the burgers on the stovetop at very high heat to make a natural crust, then finish in the oven to desired doneness. Much like a roast would be cooked.
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/02 12:42:09 (permalink)
    Wow! I can't wait to try this.
    I only fix one burger at the time and only in a frying pan and I've noticed they don't taste as good as if you're fixing several (same with fish). I'm looking forward to getting the extra flavor of the breading and seasonings

Years ago (long before KFC wedges) a local mom 'n' pop would bread their thick-cut fries and fry them 'just rihgt' I've always thought KFC wedges were too dark and way too salty.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10407
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/02 22:40:41 (permalink)
    quote:

I tried something tonight a little different than what I have done before namely grilling and just frying them.

I took my 80/20 burgers and coated them heavily with flour with seasoned salt and pepper. I had a nice coat on them and then I fried them until they were golden brown with a nice crust on them.

A neat variation in my opinion with a great taste and my guest sure did enjoy them.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Please Clarify---Did you just pan fry them with a little oil or butter or did you deep fry them or something in between???
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/03 07:27:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

quote:

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

Please Clarify---Did you just pan fry them with a little oil or butter or did you deep fry them or something in between???

I pan fry them and it works just great for me but I am sure you could deep fry them also.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/03 07:51:32 (permalink)
    I tried this once when I was at Wendy's. Took 2 patties & dipped in buttermilk & then double coated with seasoned chicken breast coating flour. Pretty good. To bad corporate Wendy's never thought of this one.
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/03 08:06:07 (permalink)
    This all sounds like it's edging toward chicken fried steak territory.

Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/03 08:27:09 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

This all sounds like it's edging toward chicken fried steak territory.

Exactly but it is still very tasty. The residual crumbs make a very tasty gravy also. The burgers probably have enough fat in them to keep from oiling the pan but I add canola anyway. It seems to allw the burgers to brown much better.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Scarlett
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 402
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/03 11:23:04 (permalink)
    Try it? I did!
    It was wonderful and by far the best burger I've ever made. I used a 80/20 ground meat and had virtually no shrinkage. For the seasoning layer I used grill seasoning which I had on hand. Then I put on sliced tomato, red onion and Swiss cheese with yellow mustard.

Thanks Sundancer!
    douginvirginia
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/03 20:50:06 (permalink)
    Paul, this an absolutely scrumpious idea. I believe you've really hit on something here.

I'll be going to the Farm Bureau this week for a sack of my favorite flour, Big Springs Seasoned (essentially S,P, and MSG)and will report back.

Best, DOug
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/07 19:18:59 (permalink)
    I did another variation of the burger this afternoon. After I fried them and got a nice brown crispy coat on the burgers, I put them in another pan with onions, tomatoes, celery and some potatoes. I put more oil, water and more seasoned flour and covered and put them in the oven for three hours at 225F covered.

What came out was a beautiful flavorful extremely tender burger.

I enjoyed them with seasoned greens.

Paul E. Smith
    KNoxville, TN
    Wannabchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/07 19:31:41 (permalink)
    GordonW
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/08 00:07:20 (permalink)
    Sounds like you're edging toward Swiss steak there.

One summer I did a summer session at a college I was interested in. I remember that the speciality of the cafeteria was some chopped beef patty kind of thing version of mystery meat. But it was never mystery meat. One day it would be Swiss steak, the next chicken fried steak, the next Salisbury steak, the next smothered hamburger steak -- that's four, they could get through a whole week with the same chunk of beef.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/08 00:49:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by GordonW

Not a flour crust, but saw an interesting approach on a BBC cooking show:

Sear the burgers on the stovetop at very high heat to make a natural crust, then finish in the oven to desired doneness. Much like a roast would be cooked.

Trust the Brit's (God love them ) to make a burger in the oven.
    ZekeTheCat
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/11 12:29:08 (permalink)
    Trple X family restaurant in West Lafayette Indiana (Purdue university), makes great burgers and they bread their burgers with seasoned flour pryor to frying. Great food and well worth a road trip stop if you're in the area - a Purdue favorite and Indiana icon since the 1930's.

http://www.triplexxxfamilyrestaurant.com/index.html
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Fried Burgers with a nice golden brown crust. 2007/09/11 12:38:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZekeTheCat

Trple X family restaurant in West Lafayette Indiana (Purdue university), makes great burgers and they bread their burgers with seasoned flour pryor to frying. Great food and well worth a road trip stop if you're in the area - a Purdue favorite and Indiana icon since the 1930's.

http://www.triplexxxfamilyrestaurant.com/index.html
    Triple X was reviewed here not that long ago. Also on Food Network recently. Great looking burgers.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1